Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,901 members, 7,886,440 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 10:24 AM

Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? (5188 Views)

Latest Blackberry Passport To Cost $600 (N96,000) / Is Jailbreaking An Idevice (iphone) Really Worth It? / Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by bjigun(m): 8:03am On Jul 02, 2007
don't be a fool , in bout' 2 months the price of the phone will drop down drastically ~ watch from $600 to about 400 & apple would have made a fool out of the person wer no get common sense to wait 4, especailly when it is a brand new phone that just came on the market, the first batch always has problems ! ! !

So u be the Judge ! ! !
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by TerraCotta(m): 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2007
More than 500,000 sold in the first weekend = about $300 million in revenues shocked

They want to sell 10 million by the end of 2008, which is highly likely at this rate. Most purchasers are ecstatic about the phone, although there were some problems with activation for some people.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by soulpatrol(f): 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2007
the fact that only cingular/AT & T is the only phone company you sign a contract with, really sucks. what about others like sprint, rogers wireless, bell mobility etc? can we get the contract with them or is it exclusively AT & T? abeg, someone with some info help me out here. i'm planning to get the iphone in the near future, when the price comes down of course tongue but i won't be using AT & T.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Bossman(m): 4:22pm On Jul 02, 2007
Other carriers will carry it eventually. This is a GSM phone and sprint is not a GSM carrier. Don't know about the others. I heard vodafone UK is supposed to be getting it at eh end of the year.

soulpatrol:

the fact that only cingular/AT & T is the only phone company you sign a contract with, really sucks. what about others like sprint, rogers wireless, bell mobility etc? can we get the contract with them or is it exclusively AT & T? abeg, someone with some info help me out here. i'm planning to get the iphone in the near future, when the price comes down of course tongue but i won't be using AT & T.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by texazzpete(m): 5:03pm On Jul 02, 2007
bjigun:

don't be a fool , in bout' 2 months the price of the phone will drop down drastically ~ watch from $600 to about 400 & apple would have made a fool out of the person wer no get common sense to wait 4, especailly when it is a brand new phone that just came on the market, the first batch always has problems ! ! !

So u be the Judge ! ! !

Don't be silly. How much has the price of Apple's iPod dropped? besides, don't believe the myth; the first crop of hardware doesn't always have to be buggy, especially as the iPhone hardware is pretty decent. any bugs in the OS will be fixed with firmware updates.
500000 units sold in the first weekend alone. unless you feel half a million people 'no get common sense' you need to recheck YOUR views.

soulpatrol:

A hefty percentage of early adopters switched from a different carrier to AT & T. Those guys must be smiling to the bank now cheesy
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by aypompin(m): 9:28pm On Jul 02, 2007
Men, if I don't buy it who will buy it. Imagine if everybody thinks like this, will anyone buy it. This stuffs are expensive but they are meant for us to use, regardless the fact that they (Phone manufacturers) are after our money. If you truly know that you have the money buy it. But make sure you cruise all the functions on the phone (thats hw 2 use ur money).
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by cabali(m): 9:46pm On Jul 02, 2007
I don't think it is expensive; I presently use an O2 xda exec that cost me a little over $1007, the iphone has some features I will like on my xda but am still cool. i'll stick wit the xda cos am in love wit it, can't cheat on it but if I hadn't this xda, I'd push 4 d iphone; its worth it y'all.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Seun(m): 10:39am On Jul 03, 2007
the iphone has some features I will like on my xda but
What features can an iPhone or XDA possibly have that a simple laptop won't have?

the first crop of hardware doesn't always have to be buggy
First generation products like the current iPhone (and Vista) are always buggy; no doubt about that.
Those who buy it are not fools, but want to be seen as trendsetters. For that purpose, version 2 won't do.
The iPhone doesn't support 3G networks. It's battery can't be replaced. And the browser has vulnerabilities.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by ToToChoper: 9:42pm On Jul 03, 2007
Cabali, cabali, hmmm u sure say nah our Lagos you dey waka aroud with phone wey cost over $1000.  grin grin grin

Anyway, I’m pretty sure Apple’s marketing crew would take into consideration in Europe, Asia and Africa- introducing a high end 2.5G phone in markets heavily dominated by 3G and even 3.5G technology wouldn't even come close to competition. 
Now, would it sell? Frankly, i would (just as it did in the States) only because the phone has been long awaited.
But I tell you sales will definitely drop on finding out its not 3G while everyone else is.
Think about it, you cannot receive video calls without 3G - you cannot access the net faster without 3G. It’s got WIFI but WIFI cannot work in your car and WIFI wouldn’t work about 100feet away from places with WIFI ports (e.g certain airports, homes, hotels and coffee shops).

I say wait, they have a version 2 coming out and let's just hope it's better.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by PapaBrowne(m): 1:44am On Jul 04, 2007
Apple always has its unique ways!! The Ipod is revolutionary,Macs are great,Pixar studios did Shrek,the Iphone is fantastic.
I think $600 is a fair price 4 the Iphone.Bring it 2 9ja, and they'll be selling it 4 like $1000 i bet you!!!.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by texazzpete(m): 8:49am On Jul 04, 2007
aypompin:

Men, if I don't buy it who will buy it. Imagine if everybody thinks like this, will anyone buy it. This stuffs are expensive but they are meant for us to use, regardless the fact that they (Phone manufacturers) are after our money. If you truly know that you have the money buy it. But make sure you cruise all the functions on the phone (thats hw 2 use your money).

i hate to always be the bubble burster, but if you truly live in Nigeria, you'll never be able to use the iphone within the next 8 - 12 months minimum. it's strictly tied to a contract.

Seun:

What features can an iPhone or XDA possibly have that a simple laptop won't have?

umm. . .portability? unless your laptop fits in your pocket and you can carry it around with you!

Pocket PC phones (like the exec and TyTN) can't replace laptops, but it helps to do some simple computing tasks on the go, in places u can't carry your laptop to!
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by cabali(m): 11:08pm On Jul 05, 2007
@pumping,

pls help me tell seun o! I was comparing 2 phone types and he is talking abt laptop. can u put a sim card into ur laptop and make calls with it. the touch screen sensitivity is what I admire in the iphone features, it is just splendid I wd like my xda 2 have that. but 4 pete's sake I won't like my laptop to have that.

u can't compare any laptop with any phone, one cannot replace the other absolutely.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by naijadey: 9:32am On Jul 09, 2007
The iphone was put on the biggest PR roller coaster ever, and everyone wanted it even if they don't really need it. After playing with the phone's interface at an Apple store, I found that its pretty nifty as a hand held PC, but not very ergonomic to use as a phone. And if you want to use it as an ipod replacement, you will be disappointed. The maximum memory of 8GBs just falls way short of the more than 30GBs ipod users are used to. So the phone does have a lot of short comings. The most interesting part is the dynamic touch screen interface which could keep you busy for a while. Browsing is not as fluid as the commercials suggest. It still doesn't come close to laptop friendliness.

Apple is very smart. Just when the market was getting over RAZR fever, apple brings its own fever to keep the market spiced up. They will use it as a platform to extend their evergroing empire of electronics and software. And unsurprisinngly it set new profit margin records for apple. Every iphone costs apple approximately $220 to make check out the businessweek article http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc2007072_957316.htm?chan=search

The phone is good for those who just want to have it, but for someone actually looking for a phone, look someplace else. If you just need to play with the interface, wait for next year when the price goes down. As for me If I/m just fine with my $40 nokia, It makes calls and sends text, no fancy stuff. If I need music and videos to escape boredrom at work, my ipod takes care of that and for photos my canon powershot sd800 does that very well and yes I carry all three everywhere I go.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Seun(m): 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2007
[flash=425,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_f-KK140vM[/flash]Introducing, the Effizy phone. But Steve Jobs looks so old. sad
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Seun(m): 3:41pm On Jul 17, 2007
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by nazzyon(m): 7:36am On Jul 18, 2007
I really respect the Nokia E70. Ever since I discovered the phone but due to its ugliness most people tend to look away from it. I have mention it either twice or once in my post

Even the most recent Nokia N products contains the same features with the phone. I have compared it with somethe most hyped phones released since last year.

It is a great achievement since 2005.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by cabali(m): 2:52am On Sep 08, 2007
I needs me this iphone y'all
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by omogenaija(f): 3:06am On Sep 08, 2007
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by cabali(m): 3:17am On Sep 08, 2007
I will not check it out grin

u want me to covert it grin
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by omogenaija(f): 3:57am On Sep 08, 2007
cabali:

I will not check it out grin

u want me to covert it grin

na u sabi
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by MP007(m): 5:34pm On Sep 08, 2007
iphone is now 300 dollars, droped from 400 to 300 just in one night, omo i want my 100 dollars back ooo grin
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by nazzyon(m): 9:45pm On Sep 08, 2007
It is $399 not $300
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by soulpatrol(f): 4:39am On Sep 09, 2007
can u now use other carriers aside from AT&T? heard somewhere that some genius kid was able to unlock it so it can be used with other phone companies.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by TerraCotta(m): 9:17pm On Sep 09, 2007
Patience has its virtues. I was thisclose to getting this phone a couple of weeks ago, and something/someone kept telling me not to rush it.

Still on the expensive side, but at least it's a little more competitive with other high-end phones now.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by naijabelle: 4:04am On Sep 18, 2007
iPhone is a crappy ass fone. Its too expensive for the quality your getting.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by texazzpete(m): 8:56pm On Sep 19, 2007
naijabelle:

iPhone is a crappy ass phone. Its too expensive for the quality your getting.

I use a HTC TyTN, and there aren't many phones out there that can beat that for sheer power and features, but the iPhone pretty much holds its own for the features you get.
IPhone 4GB = $299 = N38000
iPhone 8GB = $399 = N52000

That's 8GB of storage, with ipod features, durable, sleek design, wifi, safari browser, youtube integration and widescreen video. How much did other lower end phones come on the market? How much was the RAZR when it came out?
Doesn't this beat many of the SE walkman phones floating around for like 50K?

The iPhone may never be a smartphone as powerful as the winMobile and symbian powerhouses. but it's unrivalled as an entertainment device. At least music loves can finally have an all inone device that blend ipod, phone and camera together.

So no, the iphone is no TyTN. But then again, my TytN cost $700+!
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by cabali(m): 12:11pm On Sep 23, 2007
tell me something I dont know
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Syber(m): 5:15pm On Sep 24, 2007
hey texazzpete,
where can i get the 4gb iphone for the price u mentioned here in nigeria?
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by EZHack(m): 12:47pm On Sep 29, 2007
I will never upgrade the iPhone firmware.

Apple is just pushing aways its customers. What is the essence of paying for a phone which I won't have control over? It is just absurd.

Check the link below and see what you will be missing if you dare upgrade from Hack 1.0.2 to the iPhone firmware

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/iphone-re+reviewed-verdict-don't-buy-302075.php

Who will win this war?

Hcker ?

Apples?

Who will?
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by roodest: 8:11pm On Sep 30, 2007
[list]
[li]Is the $600 iphone a viable investment?[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
it's simply a next gen 8gig machine worth $599(4gig goes at $499), since when did anyone start investing in phones by the way
[list]
[li]the iphone is crap, it's rubbish it's shabby?[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
Does any one of you rugrats actually own one?! or atleast extensively reviewed this machine before you start dissing the thing simply cos u dont have the $600 or would rather spend your $800 equivalent on some sleezy nokia?

Final Words:
Apple never claimed the iPhone would be the next best thing in this junk-overloaded world.
Nobody and Nothing IS perfect.
This phone, certainly aint as bad as the bad mouths proclaim!
If u dont own one or havent used one extensively, kindly shut your trap and stop reciting what you read from some phoney gadget mag.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by roodest: 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2007
Apple doesn't slash prices just anyhow!
they either upgrade specs as in the case of the macbook series
now that iphone is $399 they are giving earlier buyers a rebate if they activated with at & t,  much unlike a lot of insensitive manufacturers out there
That's fair enof
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by cabali(m): 11:00pm On Sep 30, 2007
i like that grin

so either buy one or experience one or just hold ur peace till u do so u dont discourage me as a potential client cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nokia Lumia 620 Announced = Cheapest Windows Phone 8 Device / I reviewed Anker's ("America's leading USB charging brand") Powerbanks / Samsung Galaxy Note 10/10+ Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.