Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,079 members, 7,946,676 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 12:55 AM

The Bitter Truth (look Inward) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Bitter Truth (look Inward) (496 Views)

5 Bitter Truths Nigerian Job Seekers Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Bitter Truth (look Inward) by Lordify: 2:38pm On Mar 13, 2011
THE BITTER TRUTH (LOOK INWARD)

A Scot and 2 Britons sat beside me to watch the UEFA cup tie against Arsenal and Barcelona, I noticed there was no enthusiasm or excitement in them throughout the game. I was shocked because in my opinion the English are football lovers and the Scots love their British brothers and would support the British team all the way. It wasn’t so in this case and so after the match I decided to interview them individually.

Me: Why weren’t you enthusiastic or excited about the game?

Scot: I have never supported a British team except when Leeds United was in EPL. I supported Leeds because they bought and exposed Scottish players. My best team remains Aberdeen because it is my home team, UP Aberdeen.

I then interviewed one of the Britons.

Me: An English team was playing but you showed no enthusiasm or excitement, what was wrong?

Englishman 1: I am from Newcastle so what do I have with arsenal? They make the money, keep it in arsenal and nothing goes round. I support my local team because the benefit comes to me. Aside my local team, I support England Football team and Cricket team.

Finally, I interviewed the last Briton.

Me: An English team was playing but you showed no enthusiasm or excitement, what was wrong?

Englishman 2: What does it profit you to waste your time supporting a team and players that care less about you or your support? My home team West Brom is the best and I love the Nigerian playing for the team. I am sure he is bringing foreign exchange back home to invest in your country. Nigerians should support teams that have Nigerian players so they can reap the benefits.

Me: England did not do well at the FIFA Mundial so why are you supporting England?

Englishman 2: Everyone knows English league is the best in the world meaning that the English team is the best in the world. We are not scared because we shall rise to defend our pride. There is drought season in every team’s life.

I was amazed at such reasoning and remembered Nigerians that died a certain time Manchester United played Chelsea. I wondered the gain in all the chaos, pandemonium, childish aspersion, fighting and abuse of one another. Was it worth it to support players and teams that have no benefits to offer you at the detriment of your brother even to the extent that you maim and kill? Nigerians even bet their lives, hard earned fortune, when the bet turns sour they quarrel and fight. Why bet on something you are not sure of?

Most of these teams will never field a Nigerian and even when they do they create a permanent bench seat with his name printed on the seat. Who can prove to me that Torres is better than Drogba? Even the blue jersey does not fit Torres (Chelsea continue with the experiment). I still believe that if Okocha was of another origin he would have lifted the world football award. I may be wrong though but I have a right to my opinion and stand to be corrected.

I know our League is full of doubtful practices like home team must win, end season thorough bashing by teams seeking not to be relegated etc but have we not seen, doubtful goals, fictitious red cards, 36 red cards etc in All around the world? (Note: I am not in support of cheating in sports but we make it look like its peculiar to only our league). The most important thing is that the league creates job opportunity in Nigeria, exposes Nigerians, gives participants food on their table and also, the money circulates in Nigeria and is utilised by Nigerians. I tell you that the common Market woman knows Kanu when she sees Kanu on TV screen. Can she tell who Messi is? Only a common market woman in Argentina can tell when she sees Messi.

Like George Weah and other African counter parts, Kanu sojourned to Europe, came back home to give succour to those with heart diseases with Kanu heart foundation. Okocha came with his Youth Football Academy. Stephen Keshi and Samson Siasia came home to offer their wealth of experience to build a Formidable Super Eagles team. It takes Nigerians to salvage Nigerians. I keep wondering, upon retirement, why did Fashanu prefer to make Nigeria his base. Did he learn any bitter lessons abroad? Thought he didn’t want to be associated with Nigeria in his playing days?

Then why should I support any team without Nigerians or even Africans?

I therefore give my allegiance to Super Eagles, any foreign team with a Nigerian player or African player and for the love of football, any team that wins the day, no other sentiments.

Written by Udo Ifiokabasi, MASSE

(1) (Reply)

Deep Cleaners( A Cleaning Company) / Getting Healthcare Jobs In Nigeria / Port And Bayelsa Only Vacancies!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.