Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,286 members, 7,977,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 03:03 PM

Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? (8757 Views)

REMINDER: Go To Court If You Feel Insulted. APC To Jonathan. How Time Flies. / Buhari And Jonathan; How They Stand Nationwide / People That Voted For Jonathan: How Do You Feel About What You Have Caused? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 06, 2011
PDP LAND,
FUTURE GENERATION OF GENERATOR MECHANICS , VOTE YOUR FUTURE AWAY

Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by jaybee(f): 4:43pm On Apr 06, 2011
Beaf:

^
Sharap dia!
Northerners can be trusted, we just don't have the right bunch vying for office at the mo.

hehehehe, i dey laff.

beaf at his best campaign moment!

trying to woo the north with some soothing lipwork.

your hatred for the north is all over you. the tribalism element in you is so strong that you can say anything to get a miserable vote for your tribesman, whom you think would avail you an opptunity to get close to and probably touch the national cake.

This your born again view of the "north" is suspect.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by maclatunji: 4:43pm On Apr 06, 2011
Thread was originally created on March 22, 2011; makes the front page on April 6, 2011. Am I the only one smelling a big fat stinking rat on Nairaland?
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by forkinsonlolo(m): 4:49pm On Apr 06, 2011
i thing those 80% lagosians are not in lagos, goodluck ko, badluck ni angry
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by efisher(m): 4:53pm On Apr 06, 2011
maclatunji:

Thread was originally created on March 22, 2011; makes the front page on April 6, 2011. Am I the only one smelling a big fat stinking rat on Nairaland?

Rat or cat, GEJ will get most of Lagos votes. Fact! The news will not change what will happen on the election day.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by Donmeca(m): 4:53pm On Apr 06, 2011
This has always been my line of argument. Nigerians esp southerners will vote based on 50% personality, 30% ethnicity and 20% party affiliation. That said, I still think that the 80% given to GEJ is an exaggeration. I wud rather put it at 70% and with that, he win d elections.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by cap28: 4:53pm On Apr 06, 2011
if you want to remain in perpetual bondage to the IMF and the World bank vote GEJ.

if you want to remain unemployed, hungry and miserable vote GEJ.

if you want your children to end up as armed robbers or prostitutes - vote GEJ.

if you want nigeria to end up as a colony of america/britain with a brutal and repressive state apparatus - vote GEJ.

GEJ is a puppet of the american neo liberal vultures who are currently circling nigeria and moving in for the kill, they cant wait to sink their talons into nigeria in order to condemn you to a life of perpetual slavery, GEJ is an agent of neo colonialism - he has neither the intelligence, courage or conviction to lead nigeria on to the path of self determination - do not waste your vote on him.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by icez: 4:54pm On Apr 06, 2011
The identities of the six firms and their facilitators contracted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to print ballot papers, result sheets and other sensitive materials for the 2011 general election were Tuesday unravelled by THISDAY.

They were Tip3, a Spanish company represented by Hashim Dikko, and Graphic Inline (Gi) with Sanni Lamido as proxy.
Also on the list were Kalamazoo, represented by Dick Jackson, a Nigerian-Briton married to a lady from Kano; Aero-vote represented by one Yerima; and SanFrano, a German/Polish company represented by Sanni Musa.
The sixth company that benefited from the printing contract was VI Solutions, sponsored by Yahaya Sani.
SanFrano, according to investigation, was the firm that went to China to print the papers but failed to deliver on time for the April 2 elections.

The six contractors received over N13 billion for the printing of the 75 million ballot papers and result sheets for each of the elections. The contracts were awarded to the companies by INEC in late February this year, according to investigation.
Going by the terms of the contract, each of the companies was expected to print 75 million ballot papers and result sheets for the elections in respect of the National Assembly, presidential, governorship and state assembly elections. The number of registered voters is 73 million.

THISDAY gathered that 75 million copies for the main presidential election and another 75 million copies for a run-off, totalling 150 millon were authorised by Jega and awarded to Tip3 Company, the Spanish firm.
It was also leant that the Nigerian partners of Tip3, having assessed the volume of work involved in their contract, made representation to the commission that given the time constraint, they could not guarantee timely delivery of the job, but INEC was said to have urged them on.

THISDAY investigation also showed that the Spanish firm being naïve about the importance of the job,  went ahead to print the run-off election papers first and returned the job on the main election to INEC on March 23 with the excuse that it could no longer handle it.

THISDAY gathered that trouble started when the four committees returned from their overseas assessment tour of facilities of printers of security materials and raised another committee headed by the INEC National Commissioner in Charge of Logistics, Col. M. K Hammanga, to harmonise the reports.

The harmonisation committee, in its report, recommended that the ballot papers, result sheets and other sensitive materials be printed in Germany, France and Poland.
The committee also recommended that US should be excluded because of distance, while England was also rejected because of high cost of printing there.

It also rejected South Africa because of the 2007 general election experience which led to the delay, as some of the sensitive election papers were still on ground during the poll.

The Hammanga committee subsequently shortlisted 21 companies and the list was submitted to Jega.
It was discovered that to the utter surprise of the committee members, INEC dumped the shortlisted companies.
“Since then, the issues on the award of the contracts for the printing of the ballot papers, the result sheets and other sensitive election materials was shrouded in secrecy. The files relating to the contracts were always kept in the office of the INEC chairman,” the source said.

Graphic Inline, one of the firms that mistakenly went ahead to produce the ballot papers for the re-run elections, told INEC afterwards that its next delivery for the ballot papers would be April 12.
This development, THISDAY learnt, accounted for the firm’s failure to meet the deadline and forced INEC to re-award it to another firm, V.I. Solutions.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by sleekymag(m): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2011
We had a meeting in my office today and my MD was aksing all members of staff who they'll vote for. From those who chose to respond, about 70% said they will vote for Jonathan, 20% wanted Buhari and 10% Ribadu. This goes a long way to show the reflection of peoples' choices concerning the presidential elections.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by sleekymag(m): 4:58pm On Apr 06, 2011
We had a meeting in my office today and my MD was asking all members of staff who they'll vote for. From those who chose to respond, about 70% said they will vote for Jonathan, 20% wanted Buhari and 10% Ribadu. This goes a long way to show the reflection of peoples' choices concerning the presidential elections.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by Koolking(m): 5:07pm On Apr 06, 2011
As a resident in Lagos, if you ask me who will you vote for in Presidential poll and Governorship poll I will enthusiastically tell you; President Goodluck and BRF respectively. Popular opinion!!

But does that affirm these contestants are who I will truly vote for? I don't allow popular opinions to influence my judgement. I don't get carried away by online polls.

ACTION speaks louder than WORD, remember.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by ideylaff: 5:09pm On Apr 06, 2011
Lol. I Love how the West executes its propaganda to make sure the dummy it wants in Power remains there. . . . . .

Hmmm I just love people who think faster than the speed of light, , I read in between those lines as well REUTERS, shhhhh, please, make we see
proper result

Thanks 4 dat my bro @ bk.babe97y , wink
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by seanet02: 5:13pm On Apr 06, 2011
It can nevere happen. GEJ should be happy if he gets up to 10% of Lagos votes!!
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by StudioCFR(m): 5:15pm On Apr 06, 2011
GEJ talks too much
but will vote.
And pray he start working real hard to help our economy to grow.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by efisher(m): 5:18pm On Apr 06, 2011
seanet02:

It can nevere happen. GEJ should be happy if he gets up to 10% of Lagos votes!!

You funny pass basket-mouth with this your joke.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

LWBMB!
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by osoisi: 5:24pm On Apr 06, 2011
No be Next week. I hope people will accept defeat.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by johnjoel(m): 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2011
sai buhari
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by anishe(m): 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2011
What kind of poll is returning this figure? Has the poll taken into consideration the majority of the illiterates who have no access to the poll?
This poll result is a hell of result.
PDP will fail in ints entirety, not only in Lagos but nationwide.
I rest my case.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by wise(m): 5:53pm On Apr 06, 2011
The figure may not be completely accurate but it is the truth, i did a poll within my locality here in Gidi (Lagos) and confirmed that 7 of 10 people opt for GEJ as President and Fashola as Governor and that is my stand too. Fashola should be given the chance to complete the good works and if not for *Godfatherism* Fashola would have done far far better.

Don't argue blindly, argument should be based on facts.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by terryjohn7: 6:34pm On Apr 06, 2011
i hate gej but i will vote for him grin grin
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by JimmyBoy1: 6:39pm On Apr 06, 2011
I just checked NL version of the same  opinion poll like 1 minute ago, BB=51.7%  and GEJ=29.1, this is second time I am partcipating on Presidental opinion polls on NL, and BB have led both polls convincingly. Reuters can write what the like, that is the same reuters that was writting nice things about  American and Europian financial markets, only to see the world economy to be plunged into recession.

Reuters can write whatever they like and I expect them to make the report please those who picked the bill, but Mama David the Boli seller is tired of PDP, Toying the tailor is pissed off becuase she has to fuel her generator to deliver  her customers clothes on time.  Ehis who lost her mum to a car crash on Lagos/Benin express due to bad state of the road  still rains curses on PDP and their  Minister of Works that awarded billions of Naira contract for the road, only to share the money among party faithfuls.

Time is up for them PDP, Congratulations Nigeria.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by Xfactoria: 6:41pm On Apr 06, 2011
You guys on NL can't just come to terms with the fact that all of you that are anti-GEJ are in the minority

When you guys sample opinions, you talk to elites and educated folks and I agree most of them will say they are anti-GEJ. But you know what? - all of the people in this category don't make up to 10% of the voting population. A lot of them did not even register. I had an argument with some anti-GEJ elements in my local church in Surulere and found out at the end that only 2 out of 5 of them registered to vote.

If you guys like, you can scream, blackmail and rain all sorts of insult of GEJ, my own opinion poll (though not so optimistic as 80%) showed clearly that Jonathan is winning Lagos. Go ask agberos what they think of Buhari?? The population of these guys at a junction like Mushin out-numbers all you Nairalanders.

From what has been happening in Lagos in the past two weeks, it seems Labour Party will deal a heavy blow on ACN in some areas especially Lagos Central where anti-Remi Tinubu's sentiments are so rife. I will almost place a bet that in a free and fair election, Mrs Tinubu will not winm Mr Durosinmi-Etti of LP. Same goes for other ACN candidates in that area. It is believed that Fashola (who is a Surulere man to the core) has sympathy for Labour Party and would likely defect there if he wins re-lection. Already, LP has been sending messages that its followers should vote Fashola for Governor and GEJ for President.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by seanet02: 7:00pm On Apr 06, 2011
CNN will soon Predict that Nigerians Enjoy Epileptic Power Supply to 24 hours Electricity supply!!
SMH
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by efisher(m): 7:06pm On Apr 06, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

I just checked NL version of the same  opinion poll like 1 minute ago, BB=51.7%  and GEJ=29.1, this is second time I am partcipating on Presidental opinion polls on NL, and BB have led both polls convincingly. Reuters can write what the like, that is the same reuters that was writting nice things about  American and Europian financial markets, only to see the world economy to be plunged into recession.

How can you compare nairaland polls to Reuters or worse still REALITY? Even Seun go dey laugh when he read this your post.  grin Anybody can go to that poll right now and turn the result around in 1 hour. All you need is several usernames. But all that is bull. Hear from the real people on ground. Read through what the people on ground are saying on this thread.

Someone even posted that BB has more fans on facebook. I had to quickly cure the guy's misconception. GEJ is competing with people like Barrack Obama on facebook and someone is comparing him with some wannabe.

Seun, you dey try for nairaland with all the crap posted here daily!!!
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by matazzmagi(m): 7:36pm On Apr 06, 2011
becomrich good one!!!!!
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by obowunmi(m): 7:39pm On Apr 06, 2011
Rubbish ---- shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by JimmyBoy1: 7:51pm On Apr 06, 2011
efisher:

How can you compare nairaland polls to Reuters or worse still REALITY? Even Seun go dey laugh when he read this your post. grin Anybody can go to that poll right now and turn the result around in 1 hour. All you need is several usernames. But all that is bull. Hear from the real people on ground. Read through what the people on ground are saying on this thread.

Someone even posted that BB has more fans on facebook. I had to quickly cure the guy's misconception. GEJ is competing with people like Barrack Obama on facebook and someone is comparing him with some wannabe.

Seun, you dey try for nairaland with all the crap posted here daily!!!

I know you are one of the few people who try to drive thome their point with logical arguements but you missed this one. I agree that NL has loopholes that can can distort the outcome, but that unfavourable conditiona applies to both sides of the divide, hence it does not confer any advantage on one party over the other

a x b = a x c therefore b=c because the common fact 'a' can be removed and the equation still be valid

So I did not post crap, it is either you dont know or you are just being insincere.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by efisher(m): 7:58pm On Apr 06, 2011
^ No vex but you were trying to discredit Reuters by citing nairaland! That's why I came in. There is no need to try to change what is written clearly in black and white.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by JimmyBoy1: 8:06pm On Apr 06, 2011
0nce again you have proved to be a fine breed, we are just finding battle of minds here and surely not enemies.But between you and I why are you supporting PDP?
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by efisher(m): 8:47pm On Apr 06, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

0nce again you have proved to be a fine breed, we are just finding battle of minds here and surely not enemies.But between you and I why are you supporting PDP?

Thanks,
I support GEJ's PDP for presidency in 2011 for some very sensitive reasons.

Nigeria is at the brink of a huge breakthrough. All the efforts that have been put in (even if people think they are insufficient) are beginning to yield fruits. The ongoing reforms in the power and energy sector are about to become visible to the average Nigerian. What happened in the telecom sector is about to repeat itself in the power sector. I watched Petroleum Minister (Deziani) on NTA and she said a lot of things that got me thinking. I went through the power sector roadmap of the current government and so far it remains the most workable solution. It shows in the sudden interest foreign investors have in our power plants and the new drive for gas utilization. The PIB and FOI bill are also at very advanced stages. Our petroleum product situation has been stable for once in a long time.

The sudden jump in our economy in recent times also shows us something is happening right somewhere. The banking sector reforms has also been commendable. We are seeing more of the right people being put in the right places. Most people agree with the appointment of the likes of Sanusi and Jega. There is clearly an effort to improve the electoral process. Our legal system has got some things right for once. Oshiomhole is a good example.

What about corruption. Is it really true that nothing is being done? The case of the banks have shown that something is happening in that direction. Those who have run away, have found themselves in the net even outside Nigeria. Those things happen with the support of the Government. Our aerospace industry is being regulated better.

Any new government will need at least 2 more years before we can begin to move forward. Some projects may even collapse completely. I honestly believe the death of Yaradua cost us more than we can even think of. Think of the effect it had on us. What about the relative peace in the Niger Delta. We should remember that if the current government leaves, the amnesty programme will come crashing down. Somehow the government has been able to achieve something with these militants. A new team will mean a new set of negotiations. Can we gamble on the success of that? Make no mistakes about it, those militants have a very strong voice and it took a huge effort to get that amnesty programme running.

The GEJ factor is another very strong point. A lot of people may argue against that point but a GEJ win will signal to the average Nigerian citizen and the rest of the world that even someone from the "minority" can be accepted by the majority. It reminds me of Obama. What about his facebook initiative. He has somehow found a way into the hearts of Nigerians. The common man has found hope in him. He has shown that he can connect with the people and respect them. That you cannot take from him. That is what Nigerians need, to beleive again. I think, it is an effort in the right direction.

I think GEJ should be given this chance. He has 4 years to prove himself. He needs all the support he can get. He needs to be put on his toes and I believe that is what the opposition is offering. The government has to be aware that it is no longer business as usual. That is the idea. It is good if the 'monopoly' of PDP is broken in certain areas. And it is good if the opposition gets stronger. What we need is just one more right step because I believe we are already in the right direction. I may not be right but I can clearly see that there are some things that we are beginning to get right.

Finally, there is no quick fix to any of these problems. It takes a short time to destroy but many years to build. It is always easier to crucify the ruling party but think of what the reality might be a few years ahead.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by JimmyBoy1: 9:13pm On Apr 06, 2011
K, you made good attempt to be objective, unlike the reasons like luck,Divine,humble e.t.c But I want you to know that many of us that driving the BB crusade would have being on Jonathan's camp if he was contesting on another party's platform. Not that he has been convincing, but we are eager to see a new set of statesment. But whenever we look at his campaign train, we see the same people who have plundered our wealth with impunity, flanking him.You did a good job enumerating various initiatives in the pipeline, but PDP have dangled these things to our face but all to no avail.

O- secul to revitilize fertilizer production by using petrochemicals from eleme plant.Sale of ajaokuta, aladja etc messed up instead of revitiling our steel industry. Pentascope to make Nitel a worldclass telco,but it is dead today. Several firms given licenses to build refineries but nothing after 6 years or so.Sales of Alscon Ikot- Ikpenne was bothced, instead of revitilizing our aluminium export. NIPP projects nko? Lagos started it but FG, frustrated them. Benin-lagos express a slaughter slab for Nigerians, despite billions of naira voted for the roadm I can go on and on. So u will appreciate while I don't regard any of their promises or programmes.12 years is enough for anyone to make mistakes and get it right.
Re: Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True? by Abali1(m): 9:18pm On Apr 06, 2011
Thinking "I thot I promised myself not to make anymore comments on the politics section"

Poll conducted before Jonathan called the west "Rascals". It is almost a silent agreement on this forum that pple will vote out of sentiment.
I have already conceeded that the south-South and S.east will go with Jonathan. But some very "intelligent" people will tell me that the agberos in lagos, the omoniles, the Iya Ojas, the "illiterate/ semi-literate" pple from of Ajegunle, Mile12, Oshodi,Ketu,Iyana-Ipaja, Yaba(including Yaba left shocked shocked shocked) will do sumersault and go for GEJ.
Chei the person way the do that kind juju they try.

Say what you like the grassroot people will vote out of sentiments. This means they will vote for whom there leader tells them to vote for, simple.
So if the Chairman for Yaba garrage come talk say make im boys vote for the broom(Fashola's ACN logo) they go do otherwise vote for Unblella, sorry Unbleeella, ohh Unnnnleeeellla. I don tire joo.

Make una carry on with analysis, e good for brain.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are Yoruba State Capitals Developed With Mud Houses In The 21st Century?pix / Role Of Underdogs In The Ninth National Assembly Leadership Struggle / Buhari's Evil Plan Against Southwest Exposed (Graphic pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.