Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,378 members, 7,881,352 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:32 PM

A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora (28463 Views)

Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Lies Of Nigerians Living In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by sam4noow(m): 12:03pm On Dec 14, 2020
jasibor:
I reside in the US and it’s been an awesome experience, my city happens to be a sanctuary city and shares boarder with Canada so we pretty much have a diverse group of people from around the world. So from my personal experience a lot of people really don’t care where you from, when they hear my accent nobody really cares to ask but some friendly ones go a lil over the board to ask where you from I just reply Africa, cos fr you don’t want to waste your time teaching them Africa is not a country but a continent.

At my work place they had this perception of Africans been less fortunate and when we come over here all we did was work work work and send money back home to build huts and feed our village people who they feel are uneducated.

Cut long story short, at my workplace a staff had told me some of my colleagues don’t like me cos they think I’m too quiet and not smart, but God pass devil only 6 months to joining this company I received a nomination for best staff and eventually won my nomination, this came with a good check ($$$) and my people you really had to see how my name went around, these same people who have been working with this company for over 6-10 years acting like they know too much never even got close to winning a nomination came to me asking how I did it. And I said it was God.

I sha can’t forget this one...so on one special day while the office was quiet and everyone focused on the television someone tuned into the Dr. Phil’s show and this had to be my most embarrassing day at work, on the show came up this episode where some set of American women whom had all been scammed by Nigerian prince came for help cos family members knew they were being scammed and acting delusional....omo come see the way all eyes � come my side... had to tell them yea, we have scammers but it’s our politicians who made things go that bad that people gna have to lie to earn a living, and quickly my close friend supported me saying they have a lot of American scammers which they never talk about so he wouldn’t point no fingers, it’s was a lil bit relieving but I don’t think it changed anything.....

So personally I like to keep it real simple working with them, no long conversation, most friends I make are hi and bye... and I strongly believe my hard work is beginning to change the mindset of my colleagues toward the way they see Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by ablemachine(m): 12:17pm On Dec 14, 2020
Shattuck:
it is rather "are common"

Yeah. It should be at the actual sense but not according to his sentence. Read it again.

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Vibesking(m): 12:19pm On Dec 14, 2020
4words:

Just look at this overzealous Oyinbo wannabe ... you successfully rubbish all that is your culture just because you feel we should emulate the white. Though I agree with some of what you pointed out but you see the aspect of animal husbandry and food is totally rubbish and uncalled for.

To remind you, those are the food our forefathers ate and they live many years. So tell me, what's health and what's unhealthy. You said its unsustainable lol you funny, what has been on way before you were born. Your statement on our food is just funny.

What is wrong with animal husbandry? You cant ask me to life my life the way the eroupian or Americans live theirs. Heck, they take wild animals as pet dog, snake, lion, spider, rat, cat, just think of any animal and practically exchange intimacy with them... kissing, eating from same plate, bathing together and all what not. I am sure this appeal to you because it is the way of the white. Yet you come here to criticise our way. To me, I am yet to see what's wrong with animal husbandry.

Again, when has been loud become a crime or bad thing? Maybe they should be loud as well that way their suicide rate might reduce owing to depression and isolation. They lack social life, just too isolated for my liking. (You see what I tried to do there?) In essence, they are quiet, I am loud no good or bad.

Just change your mindset a bit maybe you will see clearly.

And you think Nigerians don't suffer from depression or choose to die by suicide?

You're most likely from the SW; the pride y'all have in being "loud" and living life in a frantic pace is something I don't understand.

Most Nigerians are always in a hurry; quick to speak and slow to think. Coupled with the fact that they have an unregulated appetite for food. Of course, I've found this trait to be prominent amongst the poor.

Travel to developed places, or better still, mingle with the elites in your society; then you'll discover that your mentality is still under the rock— the world has left you behind.

You're taking pride in traditional acts that has not produced anything positive in recent civilization.

Continue wallowing in your ancestors' shadows when the world has moved.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by HappyCanadian: 12:25pm On Dec 14, 2020

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by jasibor(m): 12:28pm On Dec 14, 2020
Clicked:

idgaf

But isn't telling them you are from Africa perpetuating the 'Africa is a country' stereotype?
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Johnm1(m): 12:44pm On Dec 14, 2020
These stories dey sweet my belle...

But God when?? cry
I BELIEVE...
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by lastchild: 12:51pm On Dec 14, 2020
ednut1:
canada, also lived in the uk. Many uk people didn't know they colonised us. Oyinbo generally doesn't give a f**k about any other countries except theirs. You guys speak English You have internet over there Bla bla bla. With all the stories about Nigerian scammers and Nigerian prince, may people still fall maga to them as they are not aware
this message is very powerful, I keep wondering, if Nigeria is as famous as we think, why are these white people keep falling Maga for Nigerians, I came to a conclusion that Nigeria is not as good popular as we think, the world is too big

many people don't know that Nigeria exists
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by sinqlepee(m): 12:56pm On Dec 14, 2020
4words:

Just look at this overzealous Oyinbo wannabe ... you successfully rubbish all that is your culture just because you feel we should emulate the white. Though I agree with some of what you pointed out but you see the aspect of animal husbandry and food is totally rubbish and uncalled for.

To remind you, those are the food our forefathers ate and they live many years. So tell me, what's health and what's unhealthy. You said its unsustainable lol you funny, what has been on way before you were born. Your statement on our food is just funny.

What is wrong with animal husbandry? You cant ask me to life my life the way the eroupian or Americans live theirs. Heck, they take wild animals as pet dog, snake, lion, spider, rat, cat, just think of any animal and practically exchange intimacy with them... kissing, eating from same plate, bathing together and all what not. I am sure this appeal to you because it is the way of the white. Yet you come here to criticise our way. To me, I am yet to see what's wrong with animal husbandry.

Again, when has been loud become a crime or bad thing? Maybe they should be loud as well that way their suicide rate might reduce owing to depression and isolation. They lack social life, just too isolated for my liking. (You see what I tried to do there?) In essence, they are quiet, I am loud no good or bad.

Just change your mindset a bit maybe you will see clearly.

wow I so much love your reply

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by AFONJACOW(m): 12:56pm On Dec 14, 2020
Hmmmmmmm this is how they view Nigerians... They are aware of Buhari cluelessness, they thought everyone in Nigeria is super rich due to what they saw in most of Nollywood movies, and Nigerians are big spenders... Any fine Cameroonian go pay $10 they will like to bill a Nigerian $100 because they must pay instead of dragging issues with u.. lastly they are aware of the insecurities in Nigeria and they always ask me how do we survive with Boko Haram around ... Taiwanese

1 Like

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by lordally(m): 1:11pm On Dec 14, 2020
DortmundGirl:
Im residing in western Germany.

Most people around believe that Nigerians are only scammmers 419 etc. Even other African people keep distance. Its nothing to brag with.

My colleagues believe we are still living in huts, its not easy.

Hello please do you have any idea about life in Poland I'm currently in Nigeria ...but hopefully I should be relocating next year
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Zaggie(m): 1:12pm On Dec 14, 2020
Many of the Polish people are not racists. They believed all African men have big gbola and sex is free in Africa. They believe it's natural for African men to last an hour or more during sex. They still have some funny stereotypic ideas about Africans, some of them still think Africans live in the forests,that is why many of them find it hard to believe me when I tell them that I saw lions,wolves and elephants for the first time in my life here in Warsaw! They don't even know if there's any country called Nigeria, either you're from Somalia,Zimbabwe or Rwanda, all they know is you're an African.
A big challenge here is that Polish government didn't have any plans to integrate the Africans into the Polish society. There are no projects by the government to help in this integration process, unlike what Germany and UAE is doing at the moment. The African community here in Poland are simply on their own. We learn what we learn,and achieve what we achieve just on our own. There is little or no recognition of our presence here whatsoever. Even after securing a working permit, most companys still demand an attestation letter from your consulate.
I work in a concrete manufacturing company. In my company, they believe I don't have to wear safety gadget before entering the plant because I'm an African, they believe I have a natural immunity to acid and chemical inhalation. They believe we are naturally strong and we shouldn't care about our health.
Incidentally, the African community will for ever remain here in Poland. We will continue to grow in numbers. Many good ones will keep arriving every year.
If you have a valid residency or a working permit here, and you don't pass your boundaries, if you don't beat chest or involve in any illegalities,generally Polish are friendly.

13 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by EleventhWeirdo: 1:19pm On Dec 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

I'm currently answering these types of questions for Facebook business suite and I'm being paid $275 for it.

You guys are lucky here.
Enjoy!
Boss, pls enlighten me on how to earn via Facebook Business Suite. I know you don't have to do this, but I am begging you. I sent you a DM already.
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by LastProphet: 1:22pm On Dec 14, 2020
DortmundGirl:
Im residing in western Germany.

Most people around believe that Nigerians are only scammmers 419 etc. Even other African people keep distance. Its nothing to brag with.

My colleagues believe we are still living in huts, its not easy.

Sadly but truthfully any foreign country Igbos are in majority we can't get good reviews from there. SA, Kenya, India, Germany, Malaysia, parts of US etc.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by david102(m): 1:26pm On Dec 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

I'm currently answering these types of questions for Facebook business suite and I'm being paid $275 for it.

You guys are lucky here.
Enjoy!

How do I do the same too? Please
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by lekki1444: 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2020
here in iraq where i reside they will detonate a bomb in your ass if they find out you are nigerian. i tell them i am a kalahari bushman from gabon

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Richdee1(m): 1:32pm On Dec 14, 2020
flyingpig:
baba abeg help me with some money make i add the one i get buy laptop for my article writing abegggg. The least $100 i'll lick your faeces i don't mind. embarassed

YUCK!!!! WTF is this?? lick feaces for 100bucks??
Mehn! Sufferness or poverty no suppose make you talk like this naaaa. You the kind that would worship Whites for cents when u manage to travel out

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Shattuck(m): 1:44pm On Dec 14, 2020
ablemachine:

Yeah. It should be at the actual sense but not according to his sentence. Read it again.
OK thanks
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by ultimateprof: 1:47pm On Dec 14, 2020
Remified:
Good day NL
Am conducting a public poll for a research am carrying out.
I would like our brothers and sisters living abroad to share how people in the different countries the base react when the find out or notice the are Nigerians and there mindsets towards Nigerians
Modified.
Also what are the misplaced ideologies and thoughts the have about us? ( pls emphasis on this If there are any )
Also mention the name of the country you reside in.

I'm highly irritated by your write up and you said that you're conducting a research, shame to Nigeria academic sector. Please correct your typing errors as well as the grammatical errors and the miss placed punctuation marks ( mechanical accuracy), by so doing we will see if we're going to attend to your question thanks.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by themaestro08(m): 2:50pm On Dec 14, 2020
Remified:

Nice
Which country are u based
And can u say the same for other cities in the country

Its either New York or London...

If I'm right - the most racist place on earth as I heard is in the US (Anna to be precise). If UK, a nairalander once told me people refuse to sit beside him in a bus in Newcastle.

So my point is a city doesn't define a country and more to the point, there are nice and assholes anywhere in the world.
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by lordally(m): 2:57pm On Dec 14, 2020
golddust6000:
you lied big time. No one I mean no one think that way in Germany pls don’t lie. I lived almost 14 years from Dortmund to Stuttgart

Please how's the way of life in neighboring Poland..I'm looking to Relocating there next year
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by themaestro08(m): 3:00pm On Dec 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are lucky here.
Enjoy!

I'm interested in this. How does it works?
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by chrisj2(m): 3:02pm On Dec 14, 2020
Aside from African music and real African clothes which are often not practical to wear in some of the colder countries; there is very little that makes s Nigerian stand out from other African or African Americans or Black Brits and many other mixed bloods.
However, there are quite a few on the negative side... Presently, is there much to be proud about as a Nigerian? A lot of people abroad just hear about the negatives...
Anthony Joshua or Style Bender prostrating or talking in Yoruba or eating Nja food is neither here or there - they are not really Nigerians any more and what they are doing means nothing even to me as an African

3 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Melissa16: 3:10pm On Dec 14, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

You guys are lucky here.
Enjoy!

Biko come and teach me. I also want to answer questions and get paid
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by catice(m): 3:16pm On Dec 14, 2020
In the US they are nice. No one has ever shown a strong attitude about Nigeria. Most wanna talk about music from there. Some want to ask those nasty questions.

A colleague was like;

" Yo! In high school, we were thought that you Africans live on trees, in mud houses and hunting animals. So ya'll have hospitals, roads, schools, cars?"

Oh! I must have trekked on foot all the way to get here. Or what do you think?

5 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by lordally(m): 3:29pm On Dec 14, 2020
Zaggie:
Many of the Polish people are not racists. They believed all African men have big gbola and sex is free in Africa. They believe it's natural for African men to last an hour or more during sex. They still have some funny stereotypic ideas about Africans, some of them still think Africans live in the forests,that is why many of them find it hard to believe me when I tell them that I saw lions,wolves and elephants for the first time in my life here in Warsaw! They don't even know if there's any country called Nigeria, either you're from Somalia,Zimbabwe or Rwanda, all they know is you're an African.
A big challenge here is that Polish government didn't have any plans to integrate the Africans into the Polish society. There are no projects by the government to help in this integration process, unlike what Germany and UAE is doing at the moment. The African community here in Poland are simply on their own. We learn what we learn,and achieve what we achieve just on our own. There is little or no recognition of our presence here whatsoever. Even after securing a working permit, most companys still demand an attestation letter from your consulate.
I work in a concrete manufacturing company. In my company, they believe I don't have to wear safety gadget before entering the plant because I'm an African, they believe I have a natural immunity to acid and chemical inhalation. They believe we are naturally strong and we shouldn't care about our health.
Incidentally, the African community will for ever remain here in Poland. We will continue to grow in numbers. Many good ones will keep arriving every year.
If you have a valid residency or a working permit here, and you don't pass your boundaries, if you don't beat chest or involve in any illegalities,generally Polish are friendly.

Thanks a lot I appreciate... Omo I never knew Polish woman like Black guys like that o
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by lordally(m): 3:31pm On Dec 14, 2020
lekki1444:
here in iraq where i reside they will detonate a bomb in your ass if they find out you are nigerian. i tell them i am a kalahari bushman from gabon

Wetin you dey do for Iraq na my broda
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Oshokalo: 3:41pm On Dec 14, 2020
Drenimarcus:

haha, to rub it in for them, i use the "big english" to let them know say no be wayo grin grin, my name is kinda short but they like to drag it, they tend to apologize if they cant pronounce it well. I just tell them it is okay, i have an abbreviation.

I wear my natives to church e'rry sunday, they love the hand designs, always asking me when am i going to nigeria to buy for them lmao.
see bizness think am well
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Oshokalo: 3:44pm On Dec 14, 2020
the comments where all just funny,I just dey laugh
Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by etrange: 3:51pm On Dec 14, 2020
Lucas4903:

As diverse as Canada is and YET you are the only African in the Organization (some sort of bragging right I presume).....except if is not the Canada I know anymore. Wehdone sir.

I missed the point here. That Canada is not diverse or than I'm not the only African in the organisation? You could actually go straight to what you want to say and have me respond instead of being sarcastic and elusive.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by Originalsly: 3:52pm On Dec 14, 2020
Based in the US... New York City to be precise. It is super diverse here... wherever you go in this city you will run into people all over the world 24/7... take a taxi... driver from one country.. another taxi... driver from another country..etc... that diverse. In general... people don't notice country. If you're Black.... depending on your dress mode and general appearance... people may assume you are African or American. Let's say they assume you are American... when you open your mouth and talk.... they are accent sensitive.... stage 1....you are immediately labeled a foreigner.... stage 2....depending on the accent... they will decide if you are either from Africa or the Caribbean ... if the accent is not Caribbean... then stage 3.... you are labeled African. You can explain until you're tired that you are from Nigeria... dosen't matter... you are 'the African guy'. If the accent is Caribbean... you can explain until you are tired that you are from Trinidad or Barbados or Grenada... doesn't matter ... you are 'the Jamaican guy'.
Now if they can't place you in a country then you should know they don't have anything really against you because you're Nigerian. But... when it comes to scams.... then they would somehow single out Nigerians. Lastly.... they strongly believe that African men try to establish relationships for Green Card.... and have a wife and kids back home.

7 Likes

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by etrange: 3:53pm On Dec 14, 2020
ablemachine:

The Bolded. Stop wasting internet ink. Why not just say Are not Common

I meant what I said. Those questions are not uncommon. That means people ask them often.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Nigerians Living In Diaspora by etrange: 3:53pm On Dec 14, 2020
FuckThaMod:

Canada and yet you're supporting the evil gov't of Nigeria. you must be very wicked angry

Do I know you, sir? Have we ever discussed the Nigerian politics?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Study Opportunities In Ukraine / Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad / Woman Dies After Being Hit By 22-Year-Old Driver In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.