Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,995 members, 7,938,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 04:06 PM

Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election (813 Views)

APC Will File A Cross Petition To Contest The Votes In The Southeast- Keyamo / Joe Igbokwe Signals His Intention To Contest The 2023 Presidential Elections / Abba Moro To Contest For David Mark's Senate Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 11:54am On Dec 24, 2020
On October 12, 2018, Peter Obi was named as the running mate to Atiku Abubakar, the Peoples Democratic Party's Presidential Candidate in the Nigerian 2019 Presidential elections. Peter Obi is Igbo.

The post of the vice presidential candidate was being occupied by a Yoruba, Yemi Osinbajo in the All Progressive Party. In the spirit of Southern unity, the PDP should have fielded a Yoruba candidate as its vice presidential candidate. However, the Igbo political class would have none of that. Osinbajo and Obi fought it out at the polls.

Same scenario is about to be played out in the 2023 presidential election. However, the Igbo are about to be in the position the Yoruba found themselves in 2019: Tinubu may emerge as the presidential candidate of APC or any other party that may field him in 2023 should he show interest to contest. At the same time, an Igbo presidential candidate may also emerge on the platform of another political party.

When Peter Obi contested against Yemi Osinbajo, the Yoruba did not see it as betrayal on the part of the Igbo. Likewise the Igbo should accept Tinubu's candidacy in good faith should he declare his intention to contest in the presidential race in 2023.

1 Like

Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by LukasPodolski: 11:57am On Dec 24, 2020
"in the spirit of southern unity"

I still don't understand the concept of this much talked about "Southern unity"
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Vistra40: 11:57am On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:
On October 12, 2018, Peter Obi was named as the running mate to Atiku Abubakar, the Peoples Democratic Party's Presidential Candidate in the Nigerian 2019 Presidential elections. Peter Obi is Igbo.

The post of the vice presidential candidate was being occupied by a Yoruba, Yemi Osinbajo in the All Progressive Party. In the spirit of Southern unity, the PDP should have fielded a Yoruba candidate as its vice presidential candidate. However, the Igbo political class would have none of that. Osinbajo and Obi fought it out at the polls.

Same scenario is about to be played out in the 2023 presidential election. However, the Igbo are about to be in the position the Yoruba found themselves in 2019: Tinubu may emerge as the presidential candidate of APC or any other party that may field him in 2023 should he show interest to contest. At the same time, an Igbo presidential candidate may also emerge on the platform of another political party.

When Peter Obi contested against Yemi Osinbajo, the Yoruba did not see it as betrayal on the part of the Igbo. Likewise the Igbo should accept Tinubu's candidacy in good faith should he declare his intention to contest in the presidential race in 2023.

Shebi they will contest primaries?let everyone contest for it except you add saying he should be given automatic ticket?if he wins then others will support him
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 11:58am On Dec 24, 2020
LukasPodolski:
"in the spirit of southern unity"

I still don't understand the concept of this "Southern unity"
It means mutual understanding and agreement.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by LukasPodolski: 12:00pm On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:
between who and who against who?
to achieve what?
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 12:02pm On Dec 24, 2020
LukasPodolski:

between who and who against who?

to achieve what?
To engender bond and respect and play by the rule.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by mayklef(m): 12:04pm On Dec 24, 2020
Religion, tribe or party affiliation aside, I strongly believe Jagagban will make a Decent and Progressive President owing to his vest experience and Knowledge compared to that vegetable in Daura

3 Likes

Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by LukasPodolski: 12:08pm On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:

To engender bond and respect and play by the rule.

in a federal democratic government, why should a section gang up against another?

don't you think such act would defeat the aim of the system?
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 12:10pm On Dec 24, 2020
LukasPodolski:

in a federal democratic government, why should a section gang up against another?

don't you think such act would defeat the aim of the system?
No, it is no gang up. There should be sense of belonging to everyone.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by LukasPodolski: 12:19pm On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:

No, it is no gang up. There should be sense of belonging to everyone.
and that's why we have the zoning system.

since the birth of democracy, that's some 21 years ago, Southern Nigeria has produced the president twice, both occupying the position for 13-14 years, if you ask me, that was an excellent run.

since democracy, Southerners have occupied the number 1 position more than their northern counterpart.

what sense of belonging are you talking about?
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Cubana06: 12:25pm On Dec 24, 2020
Of course everyone is free to contest
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 12:26pm On Dec 24, 2020
LukasPodolski:

and that's why we have the zoning system.

since the birth of democracy, that's some 21 years ago, Southern Nigeria has produced the president twice, both occupying the position for 13-14 years, if you ask me, that was an excellent run.

since democracy, Southerners have occupied the number 1 position more than their northern counterpart.

what sense of belonging are you talking about?
That the presidency is not the exclusive right of some section of the country. Every Nigerian has a right to aspire to any political office in the land. The late MKO Abiola died for this very purpose. Hence why we have June 12 as public holiday.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by LukasPodolski: 12:34pm On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:

That the presidency is not the exclusive right of some section of the country. Every Nigerian has a right to aspire to any political office in the land. The late MKO Abiola died for this very purpose. Hence why we have June 12 as public holiday.
yes, the June 12 injustice is understandable and we can't deny that..

I'm sure the resultant was what brought about democracy, THE NEW NIGERIA.

MKO Abiola died for Nigeria, he was the Messiah.

he has been compensated, we can all see it, I don't need to say much about this.

but Southerners should desist from crying foul, especially when there is none...
I can't see any foul play since democracy, was there any? let me know
presidency would come back to the South by 2023.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2020
LukasPodolski:

yes, the June 12 injustice is understandable and we can't deny that..

I'm sure the resultant was what brought about democracy, THE NEW NIGERIA.

MKO Abiola died for Nigeria, he was the Messiah.

he has been compensated, we can all see it, I don't need to say much about this.

but Southerners should desist from crying foul, especially when there is none...
I can't see any foul play since democracy, was there any? let me know
presidency would come back to the South by 2023.
The presidency belongs to Nigeria and should not be appropriated by a section. Rotating it will make it easy for all Nigerians to be free to occupy it.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by LukasPodolski: 12:42pm On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:

The presidency belongs to Nigeria and should not be appropriated by a section. Rotating it will make it easy for all Nigerians to be free to occupy it.
isn't that why we have the North/South zoning arrangement?

yes, the emergence GEJ has the president immediately after the death of Yaradua appears to affect the Zoning system, a northerner should have been allowed to finish Yaradua tenure.

the system would come back to normal in 2023, hopefully..
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 12:46pm On Dec 24, 2020
LukasPodolski:

isn't that why we have the North/South zoning arrangement?

yes, the emergence GEJ has the president immediately after the death of Yaradua appears to affect the Zoning system, a northerner should have been allowed to finish Yaradua tenure.

the system would come back to normal in 2023, hopefully..
We should avoid creating super citizens and slave citizens.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by LukasPodolski: 1:03pm On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:
who are the slave citizens, and how are they slaves?
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:

Super citizens determine who get what while slave citizens are those that cannot enforce their rights.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by cktheluckyman: 1:09pm On Dec 24, 2020
LukasPodolski:

who are the slave citizens, and how are they slaves?

The SW will never smell the presidency in 2023.We will make sure of that
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by seunmsg(m): 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2020
Bulleye:

There is nothing like southern unity, it never existed. Igbos have always voted against the candidates of the south west since 1959 and there is nothing to show that they will ever change. We must learn to promote our political interest without relying on the support of the south east.

1 Like

Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by IGBOSON1: 1:25pm On Dec 24, 2020
seunmsg:

There is nothing like southern unity, it never existed. Igbos have always voted against the candidates of the south west since 1959 and there is nothing to show that they will ever change. We must learn to promote our political interest without relying on the support of the south east.

Anyone reading your post will assume there’s no ‘southern unity’ because of Ndigbo! I suppose the Yoruba have been falling over themselves to vote for Igbo candidates too?
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by LukasPodolski: 1:35pm On Dec 24, 2020
cktheluckyman:

The SW will never smell the presidency in 2023.We will make sure of that
you said Buhari will never smell the presidency in 2015 and 2019..
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Vistra40: 1:53pm On Dec 24, 2020
seunmsg:

Please Sir, remind me where OBJ is from again that is if you are being truthful to yourself?secondly, Anambra state was the only one in the East that voted for Abiola. Please I beg of you to prove me wrong again
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by seunmsg(m): 2:19pm On Dec 24, 2020
Vistra40:

Please Sir, remind me where OBJ is from again that is if you are being truthful to yourself?secondly, Anambra state was the only one in the East that voted for Abiola. Please I beg of you to prove me wrong again

Olu Falae was the candidate of the south west in 1999 while the north brought out Obasanjo. As usual, south east supported the candidate of the north.

In 1993, MKO lost to Bashir Tofa in the south east. So, what’s tour point again?

1 Like

Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Vistra40: 2:27pm On Dec 24, 2020
seunmsg:

Olu Falae was the candidate of the south west in 1999 while the north brought out Obasanjo. As usual, south east supported the candidate of the north.

In 1993, MKO lost to Bashir Tofa in the south east. So, what’s tour point again?

If you are talking about a candidate that the South west adopted, then I can agree but still it doesn’t make Obasanjo less a yoruba man. You made it sound as though igbos never voted for any yoruba. I may concede that they did not support a consensus candidate by your people because right from time, the East always aligned with the north politically more than the west
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Sammy07: 2:39pm On Dec 24, 2020
Vistra40:

If you are talking about a candidate that the South west adopted, then I can agree but still it doesn’t make Obasanjo less a yoruba man. You made it sound as though igbos never voted for any yoruba. I may concede that they did not support a consensus candidate by your people because right from time, the East always aligned with the north politically more than the west

Do you know why I quote you?
Because you are among the Igbos that say the truth.
I wonder why some of your breathern thinks we betrayed them in 2015, whereas West has never align with the North in the history of Nigeria. except 2015.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Bulleye(m): 2:41pm On Dec 24, 2020
Vistra40:

Yes, I agree with you - the east is comfortable in an alliance with the north than with the southwest. Herein lies the crisis of confidence between the Igbo and the Yoruba.
Re: Why Tinubu Is Free To Contest The 2023 Presidential Election by Blackmoran(m): 2:48pm On Dec 24, 2020
I don't like tinubu but with the way I see people hating him and always in a hurry to casigate him am starting to have a change of hearth..
Haters of tinubu your hate for him is cool because neutral people who has no vested interest in politics we have sympathy for him..

(1) (Reply)

How Ayeni Resigned From OMS In 2018, Lied To Efcc And Sold All Shares To Wells / I Bet With My Balls Nigeria Will Never Break Says Sheikh Gumi / Igboho is a Coward, Nnamdi Kanu Is Braver, Smarter - Olusegun Bamgbose, Esq.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.