Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,883 members, 7,872,904 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:52 AM

How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? (19925 Views)

Please How Can I Approach My Landlord For A Floading Apartment / Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? / No Drainage: How Can I Report My Landlord To Lagos State Government? Pls Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Dollanaira: 5:45pm On Jan 05, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by FirstCounsel(m): 5:45pm On Jan 05, 2021
SavageMaster:
Well...the rent increase is expected, bearing in mind the times we're in. However, he should have given notice of the proposed increase around September/October last year, instead of waiting till January.

You may not succeed in getting him cancel the increment.

Two options I see here:
1) Ask him for more time to pay up the balance. Since you've been paying your rent on time, I guess he'll oblige.

2) You can calculate the number of months the amount you've already paid will cover, based on the new rent. Once it elapses, you pack out. However, you should discuss this with him, to be sure both of you are on the same page.

3) Well, you may still ask go ahead and ask him to hold off with the increment, but I guess he also increased the rent for everybody, not just for you. Whether he'll grant your request or not, I can't tell. But you have to discuss maturely with him

Best advice
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Opus85(m): 5:46pm On Jan 05, 2021
First of all @op, how many years have you stayed and paid the current rent? If you have paid the current rent for the 3rd year, the rent is due for increment.

The best approach for you ha to plead on the grounds of covid-19 which has affected every sector of the economy. That you are ready for an increment in the year 2023.
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by faithfull18(f): 5:47pm On Jan 05, 2021
Hmmn, it's everywhere.
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by ipobarethieves: 5:48pm On Jan 05, 2021
Seniorwriter:
If you reside in Lagos approach Mediation Centre at Ikeja they'll give you the legal method to relate with your landlord on this increment issue

We Moooooove
2021 not a year for laxity

Proactivity Leads To Productivity

© Seniorwriter
Useless and waste of time.@op,beta nor drag Ur landlord go there oo if u dnt want to increase Ur problem
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by matrixme(m): 6:00pm On Jan 05, 2021
My own two cents is that you have made his house your comfort zone. You don't want to offend him nor leave his house. Is the house paved with gold? Many atimes we fail to take advantage of opportunity when it hits us in the face. I'm sure there are a thousand houses out there that may even be cheaper.
Greedy landlord, who wants to increase rent in January in the midst of a pandemic. Shiioor!!!
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by tellwisdom: 6:04pm On Jan 05, 2021
How can you be begging your landlord when you can get free lands around Ore to Onitsha road side. Find cutlass clear those bush then build your own house there. angry
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Trustedpro: 6:04pm On Jan 05, 2021
Pack out of the house if you have option.
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by ajast(m): 6:04pm On Jan 05, 2021
BabaOwen:
Bro, if am in your shoes, I won't pay him #1 after the one you paid him before. He should have let you know about it weeks ago. If he no gree, ask for your money so u go fit use am rent house for another location. You go com use 6 month in the house for free, while searching for where to live.

Sorry you are very wrong , tenancy law did not tell you to use free 6months to search for house, the 6 months will be paid for, only that you have a grace to get another house before that 6months and if you are unable to pay for the 6months and you want to be packing out your property will be confiscated. Many people have that wrong notion that the time given to look for a new house is free of charge. So the earlier you leave a house the better after quit notice. The only time the opportunity for free rent comes up is when all tenants are given quit notice for purpose of renovation or demolition they just overlook payments and are interested in taking possession.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by OgogoroFreak(m): 6:05pm On Jan 05, 2021
Na you fuckup nau. Wey you for dey let landlord come disturb you small for his rent before you pay your rent in part sef. But you dey form big man.
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Tango123: 6:08pm On Jan 05, 2021
iambabaG:
Some landlords are of the devil.
With all the predicament facing someone, increasing house rent is what they feel they can add to the already filled plate?
My landlord is A VERY GOOD MAN.
He has a lovely wife and they are VERY considerate. Who said and Igbo landlord isn’t good? I would gladly have him as a landlord till i leave this shithole.
Sometimes, it’s not always about money.. But doing right by a fellow human.
Some of this landlords push young men into stealing and illegalities to stay afloat. Which shouldn’t be so.

The landlord is facing the same predicament as u. He has no money stached somewhere. He is not ur thieving politicians. That house is his investment. Just like ur own hustle

1 Like

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Ausval: 6:11pm On Jan 05, 2021
I don't agree that someone's landlord can push you to crime...Na oversabi, unnecessary pride and trying to live above your income dey push people go crime ...if your rent is too much ,there are some low class building that will definitely match your budget , but no all of us wan stay chevron estate for lekki
iambabaG:
With all the predicament facing someone, increasing house rent is what they feel they can add to the already filled plate?
He has a lovely wife and they are VERY considerate. Who said and Igbo landlord isn’t good? I would gladly have him as a landlord till i leave this shithole.
Some of this landlords push young men into stealing and illegalities to stay afloat. Which shouldn’t be so.
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Bluehill1051: 6:12pm On Jan 05, 2021
Honestly, sometimes I wonder if people read... Just look at the rubbish those fools were writing on the first page

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by merits(m): 6:13pm On Jan 05, 2021
iko123:
Most tenants renew their rents at the beginning of the year. Based on my tenancy agreement,I renewed my rent early than expected because I had a lot of activities lined up for the year that will require money. Besides, I don't want landlord to remind me that my rent has expired.

In previous years, I renewed my rent on the second week of the beginning of the month so that I don't send a signal of abundance on my side. Sometimes, I pay in arrears even when the money is there.

I was surprised that after making the payment, I got a notification of increment of rent effective from January, 2022.

My family has been very peaceful tenant since we parked in. I have thought through the notice to find the best way to approach him to withdraw the increment without him giving me an option to park out if I am not comfortable.

Please advise me on the best approach to use in this situation.
Bros don't take this as anything, but it's a big challenge for you to start planning to get your own house gradually, instead of paying arrears why don't you use surplus money to acquire your own land.before you realize you too will become a landlord.
My advice for you, go to him and beg him, cuz you have no option orelse you are ready to pack out.

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by babatunji36117: 6:15pm On Jan 05, 2021
Make one of her daughters pregnant and u will stop paying rent.but ones its dec get a bag of rice for him.this must be done before Christmas just do ur calculations and thank me later
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by amanzejude(m): 6:25pm On Jan 05, 2021
What is okay?

cynthia9:
Okay
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by nextstep(m): 6:28pm On Jan 05, 2021
Dude. Increment is in 2022. Landlord has given you a whole year's notice. I would say that's wonderful, so you can start planning and saving.

All I can say is "sorry", because salary probably won't increase, yet rent and fees will. Unless you have the means to use that money to start building and finish by next year.

But to show you that it's possible: my best friend just moved into his house this weekend... we roofed it together last May, he put in windows and doors in September, then ceiling in November, plastered only one room this December. But any money he has now will be for completing his house, not paying rent. He has three children.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by oyejideogunjumo: 6:28pm On Jan 05, 2021
iko123:
Most tenants renew their rents at the beginning of the year. Based on my tenancy agreement,I renewed my rent early than expected because I had a lot of activities lined up for the year that will require money. Besides, I don't want landlord to remind me that my rent has expired.

In previous years, I renewed my rent on the second week of the beginning of the month so that I don't send a signal of abundance on my side. Sometimes, I pay in arrears even when the money is there.

I was surprised that after making the payment, I got a notification of increment of rent effective from January, 2022.

My family has been very peaceful tenant since we parked in. I have thought through the notice to find the best way to approach him to withdraw the increment without him giving me an option to park out if I am not comfortable.

By the grace of God I am a landlord with tenants so I will speak from experience.
In the agreement we always indicate when in increments should be expected,say in two-two or three-three years so, automatically the tenant should know when to expect it.
Apart from that you remind him/her six months ahead.If he complains that time we resolve it together. If no complain then that means consent.
If none is applicable in your case since you approached to to get the apartment, summon the same courage to approach him and tell him what you are passing through and tell him to give you time.
Stand your ground as much as possible but not to provocation.
The country is not smooth for both tenant and landlord so we should know how to manage it together.
If your landlord is working and not depend solely on the rent,he will shift ground.
Wishing you the best

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by nextstep(m): 6:32pm On Jan 05, 2021
iambabaG:

The increment is in January 2022, as in next year. What do you want a landlord to do - who is also facing increasing bills. If he's retired, he probably hasn't gotten any pension for years now. OP has a whole year to plan and save.
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Euegene100001: 6:49pm On Jan 05, 2021
Period !
BabaOwen:
Bro, if am in your shoes, I won't pay him #1 after the one you paid him before. He should have let you know about it weeks ago. If he no gree, ask for your money so u go fit use am rent house for another location. You go com use 6 month in the house for free, while searching for where to live.
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by AngelicBeing: 6:50pm On Jan 05, 2021
ahnie:
The best way to approach him to discuss your rent increment is by getting a bottle of wine,a fertile female goat,a Rolex watch and don't forget to go along with the land receipt of the 50/50 plot of land you just acquired showed them to him and tell him to go to hell.

Hian, Una go kill person with laugh for Nairaland.com, like seriously shocked
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by AngelicBeing: 6:51pm On Jan 05, 2021
Shellsploit:
Wahala for who no be landlord.. grin
Lalasticlala sef!
That is why I have been living on Mount Everest for so long, I enjoy the atmosphere at the peak of the mountain, nonsense and Buhari grin

1 Like

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Euegene100001: 6:52pm On Jan 05, 2021
Na so my yeye Landlord still do . He increase rent we agree after 2 days he added more increment worst still he started advertising his shops for rent . Shop wen people still dey o .Very foolish old man . His excuse things are expensive now and he needs to fence his house smh ! Me I don park nor be the rent make me park but the store leaks I do try tire e nor gree stop landlord nr gree fix am but he fit increase rent lol!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Shellsploit: 6:54pm On Jan 05, 2021
AngelicBeing:
That is why I have been living on Mount Everest for so long, I enjoy the atmosphere at the peak of the mountain, nonsense and Buhari grin

At least coronavirus no dey that side..

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by mmsen: 6:58pm On Jan 05, 2021
Rent will always increase. Especially with the way naira has depreciated of late.
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by AngelicBeing: 7:05pm On Jan 05, 2021
Shellsploit:

At least coronavirus no dey that side..

Hian, corona- birus according to Bubu, no virus here, the chilly snow will dismantle, decapitate and dismembered any virus here wink

1 Like

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by AFONJACOW(m): 7:08pm On Jan 05, 2021
My worst nightmare as a tenant then , i came back from Christmas after much spending in the village, my crazy lazy landlady and his cocaine inhaler US deportee kids who has never suffered since they were born will use to tell their tenant happy new year is increment , the house self nah one of the properties they inherited from their grandpa , they increased the house from 20k per flat a month to 35k , after much pleading they bring it down to 30k per month... Fast forward to present day, I live in my own house away from trumour of landlord or landlady waking u up with bangs on the door because u are owning house rent .. old things must pass away one day
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Elmander1983(m): 7:28pm On Jan 05, 2021
Best approach?? Use sweet slap make sure say him see stars... Then postrate tell am sorry. Quit notice better pass increment withdrawal abi? Reason am
iko123:

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by abimbola74(m): 7:56pm On Jan 05, 2021
Most annoying thing is people did not read what the OP wrote well before commenting. HE SAID THE INCREMENT WILL TAKE EFFECT AS FROM NEXT RENT NOT THE ONE HE HAS PAID ALREADY.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by Seniorwriter(m): 8:00pm On Jan 05, 2021
ipobarethieves:
Useless and waste of time.@op,beta nor drag Ur landlord go there oo if u dnt want to increase Ur problem

I have used their service and i have couple of persons that have too
Why not state your reason or reasons for using such unpleasant adjective
Many at times some persons like you will not follow due agreements as tenants
I have properties in my care and mediation centre seems to create the best dispute resolution

© Seniorwriter
Re: How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? by ipobarethieves: 8:03pm On Jan 05, 2021
Seniorwriter:

I have used their service and i have couple of persons that have too
Why not state your reason or reasons for using such unpleasant adjective
Many at times some persons like you will not follow due agreements as tenants
I have properties in my care and mediation centre seems to create the best dispute resolution

© Seniorwriter

Sorry! I'm not a tenant

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian House Plans: Innovative Architectural Designs With Affordable Budgets / How We Built "The Coffee Shop" / The Controversial N2 Million Naira Quotation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.