Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,062 members, 7,939,264 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 09:49 PM

Eldership - God's Call On Christian Elders - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Eldership - God's Call On Christian Elders (890 Views)

Bible Teaching On Christian Dressing / Bloody Islamic Revolution Is Coming To Northern Nigeria, Say Christian Elders / Press Release by christian Elders Forum Of Northern States (noscef) why Cr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Eldership - God's Call On Christian Elders by affrikan: 7:05am On Apr 04, 2011
ELDERSHIP: GOD’S PURPOSE

This period of election has come with a lot of uncertainty especially for believers and lovers of Nigeria who believe that God has a purpose for the nation of Nigeria.
Recently, I had an interesting test of faith that has led me to discovering a precious truth about the destiny of our nation and has also reinforced my faith in God. The Lord recently gave me a very strong word to deliver to three prominent elders of the Nigerian Church.
This is the word the Lord gave me to say to the elders:
“I brought you to the elders for you to see why I have cast them away. They have become like rotten tomatoes that has no use as meal (food). But there are some seeds in them (commitment, character, faithfulness, fear of God) that can be useful if planted on fertile ground.
I am just extracting those good seeds and putting it in you (The younger generation) who now has the mantle so you can gain time for the assignment…”
Taking the message the Lord gave me for the elders was not an easy assignment for me. I had a lot of concerns. What if they misunderstood the mission as being that of an attention seeker? What if I had not heard the Lord correctly? What if it back-fired and a mark is placed on me as a prophet of doom, because the people involved were very influential people.
But I thank God none of this happened. Firstly, the leader of our group was a God-fearing woman who is as bold as a lion and once her spirit accepted it as being the will of God, she put her own carrier on the line because she judged obedience to God as being more important than her own personal interests.
After I had fully obeyed the Lord in delivering the message and continuing to pray both privately and with the group for the full manifestation and establishment of God’s will, the Lord started to open my eyes fully to understand His purpose for eldership and His call on the Nigerian elders, spear-headed by the three He had chosen to stand in the front.
On the morning of 23-3-11, after finishing my weekly morning intercessory prayers with my wife Evang. Iphie, the spirit of prophesy came upon her and she started prophesying. The Lord gave a word for our prayer group, the leader of the group, the elders and our nation. As she finished prophesying, she told me that the word for the elders was in 1Sam.11:1-15, and that the Lord would give me understanding as I read the chapter. As I opened the passage and began to read, the Lord indeed gave me understanding and spoke to me clearly from those passages of the scripture. I can say with every sense of humility that I have understood to a large extent the reason the Lord sent us to take those harsh words to the elders and what He was asking them to do at this stage in our nation’s history. If you consider yourself an elder in the body of Christ, or you want to pray the elders into their position in Christ, hear now what the Spirit of God is saying to the elders: I will write the way I have received it:
This is the story of how a nation was prevented from going into bondage because of the timely intervention of the elders of the village. In that story, Nahash the ammonite laid siege against Jabesh Gilead 9an Israeli Community) with a view to bringing it into bondage through defeat in war. His action provoked fear among the citizens of the nation and they pleaded with him to make a covenant with them to prevent bloodshed. They were willing to become subservient to him and pay tributes to him as long as blood was not shed; But Nahash wanted more than that. Let us look at the condition he gave: “And Nahash the Ammonite answered them, ‘on this condition I will make a covenant with you that I may put out all your right eyes, and bring reproach to all Israel.” (1Sam.11:2)
With the help of scripture, we can understand that he was asking for the very life of the nation of Israel. Firstly, eyes the way it is used in scripture represent vision or revelation. It has to do with God’s vision for the nation of Israel, and the purpose for their national existence. This agent of Satan was asking the people, to sell their birthright like Esau did without a fight.
Some passages from the book of numbers articulate very clearly the purpose of God for the State of Israel:
“Now when Balaam saw that it pleased the Lord to bless Israel, he did not go as at other times, to seek to use sorcery, but he set his face toward the wilderness.
And Balaam raised his eyes, and saw Israel encamped according to their tribes; and the Spirit of God came upon him. Then he took up his oracle and said: “The utterance of Balaam the son of Beor, The utterance of the man whose eyes are opened, The utterance of him who hears the words of God, Who sees the vision of the Almighty, Who falls down, with eyes wide open:
“How lovely are your tents, O Jacob! Your dwellings, O Israel!
Like valleys that stretch out, Like gardens by the riverside, Like aloes planted by the Lord, Like cedars beside the waters. He shall pour water from his buckets, and his seed shall be in many waters. “His king shall be higher than Agag, And his kingdom shall be exalted.
“God brings him out of Egypt; He has strength like a wild ox; He shall consume the nations, his enemies; He shall break their bones and pierce them with his arrows.
‘He bows down, he lies down as a lion; And as a lion, who shall rouse him?’ “Blessed is he who blesses you, and cursed is he who curses you.” (Num.24:1-9)
“For from the top of the rocks I see him, And from the hills I behold him; There! A people dwelling alone, Not reckoning itself among the nations.” (Num.23:9)
Putting it in one word, God wanted Israel to b a model nation – A nation different from any other nation on earth that will be a beacon of light to other nations, different from the worldliness and human grandeur that is the hallmark of modern nations. That is what Balaam saw when he spoke by the Spirit of God that Israel will be a ‘people dwelling alone, not reckoning itself among the nations. (Num.23:9b)
This is the destiny that Nahash was asking the people to compromise by their own will and to covenant with him on the very thing that is their life and sole purpose for existence as a nation.
Immediately the news was broken to the people, they started weeping in despair and would have gone on to sell their reason for existence on earth but for the intervention of the elders. The people did not see a way out of the dilemma and they started weeping. The scripture records that, ‘all the people lifted up their voices and wept.’ Even though they understood the implication of making the covenant with their enemy, they could not see a way out and they wept.
MEANING OF THE NAME NAHASH: It is important for us to understand that the name Nahash means Serpent in ancient Hebrew language. We know from Gen.3:1 that the Serpent is a reference to Satan. The serpentine spirit is always associated with pollution, immorality and rebellion. The spirit opposes the very purposes of God.
Also he was the King of Ammon. Both Ammon and Moab were born of an incestuous relationship between Lot and his two daughters in the aftermath of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, and the Bible refers to both the Ammonites and Moabites as the "children of Lot". (Gen. 19:38 comp Ps.83:7,cool Throughout the Bible, the Ammonites and Israelites are portrayed as mutual antagonists. During the Exodus, the Israelites were prohibited by the Ammonites from passing through their lands.[4] In the Book of Judges, the Ammonites work with Eglon, king of the Moabites against Israel.
Milcom and Molech (perhaps one and the same) are named in the Bible as the gods of Ammon. (See1Kngs.11:15, 33; Jer.49:1, 3; Lev.20:1-3; Jer.32:35) which was responsible for the abominable practice which Israel later learnt of making their sons pass through the fire in ritual sacrifice which God hated.
So if you take off the mask, what you have in this conflict is Satan disguising under this king Nahash to fight against the very purpose of God for the nation of Israel. That is the real issue in this conflict and that is the issue in many national conflicts and struggles.
THE PURPOSE FOR ELDERSHIP:
In the story under consideration, verse three records the answer that then Elders gave to Nahash:
“Then the elders of Jabesh said to him, “Hold off for seven days, that we may send messengers to all the territory of Israel. And then, if there is no one to save us, we will come out to you.” (1Sam.11:3)
The elders asked for time to make consultations, primarily with God and secondarily with the people. I understood with the help of the Spirit of God the different between the elders weeping and the weeping of the people. When the people weep, they are weeping either in despair or they are weeping to draw human attention to their suffering.
But when elders weep, they are primarily weeping to God and asking for his intervention in the matter to save the nation from despair. To establish this fact, we may have look at Hezekiah’s response to the message brought by Rabshakeh, Sennacherib’s servant when he laid siege on Jerusalem. The bible said that Hezekiah ‘went up to the house of the Lord and spread it (the letter) before the Lord.’ (see Is.37:14)
This is the main thing that eldership brings to any nation. They have the dual advantage of having influence before God and also they are well respected by the people. God remembers their long years of standing up for him and if they have been faithful, he listens when they talk. The people on their own look up to them because in many cases God has given them influence.
In this story, we see that the elder’s strategic intervention held the enemy at bay for seven days. Their intervention moved the hand of God for Him to locate a man to be filled by the Spirit of God to bring solution to the national predicament. “Then the elders of Jabesh said to him (Nahash), hold off for seven days that we may …” While the elders were crying out to God in intercession, the Spirit of God located a man to come upon to be used as the vessel to stop the enemy.
“Then the Spirit of God came upon Saul when he heard this news (of Nahash’s precarious offer) and his anger was greatly aroused.” (1Sam.11:6) Because Saul was led by Spirit of God, he did not go to battle in the flesh thinking he could win by human strength. He incorporated the prophet Samuel into the battle. Look at what he said to the men of Israel ‘Whoever does not go out with Saul and Samuel to battle…’ (ISam.11:7) This is a combination of the kingly (apostolic) anointing with the prophetic anointing. As a result of his Spirit-inspired speech, the fear of God came upon all the people, leading to unity of purpose. ‘The fear of the Lord fell on the people, and they came out with one consent.’ (1Sam.11:7b)
They united around the purpose of God that Israel is destined to be a nation standing alone in keeping with the promise God made to Abraham in Gen.15:5 that He would give him a child that would be as the stars of heaven. The result of men’s heart uniting with the purposes of God under a God-appointed leader was that the people had victory:
“So it was, on the next day that Saul put the people in three companies and they came into the midst of the camp in the morning watch and killed Ammonites until the heat of the day…” (1Sam.11:11).
Another significant thing about the story is that as a result of the elders intervention, Samuel God’s anointed Prophet had room to declare the counsel of God: “Come let us go to Gilgal and renew the kingdom there.” (1Sam.11:14)
The elder’s intervention brought about the confirmation of Saul who was earlier chosen by God as the King.”So all the people went to Gilgal, and there they made Saul King before the Lord in Gilgal.” (1Sam.11:15a)
The larger purpose of God in having a people to Himself was also renewed as the people were reconciled back to God. “There they made sacrifices of peace offerings before the Lord.’ (1sam.11:15b)
Finally, the national salvation of Israel resulted in joy and lifting for the people. ‘Saul and all the men of Israel rejoiced greatly.’ (1Sam.15c)
The elder’s intervention brought back a people that were derailing into alignment with the purpose of God and brought about the renewal of the kingdom.
The Holy Spirit opened my eyes to see the purpose of God for eldership in His house and His call on the elders of the Nigerian Church. The Nigerian nation needs renewal. The present foundation on which our nation is built cannot take the nation far. But the foundation must be laid in wisdom and in God. The elders are to intervene to bring about the renewal of the Nigerian nation along the line of the counsels of God concerning Nigeria. I can summarise God’s purpose for eldership as follows:
i. They are the people that preserves the God-given vision for any nation and His instrument for preserving the national mandate
ii. They ward off evil coming to the land
iii. They act as watchmen over the nation to protect the inhabitants and also preserve the vision of God
iv. They help to establish God-appointed vessels in their sit so that the blessing of God will flow to the nation (See 1Sam.11:14-15).
v. In case of Nigeria, the Lord has spoken clearly that a David is coming that He will anoint to bring renewal and direction to our nation. The elders are to partner with God to enthrone this David. The elders are not the David, but God will help them to see the David and give them wisdom and influence to help him sit on the throne of Nigeria that God clearly desires for Himself and His purpose.
The Lord specifically charged me to help the elders to understand his call. This is what the Lord said to me in conversations with Him dated 21-3-11:
“Help the elders to understand what I am saying now. Some of them have developed waxes in their ears through years of doing their own things that make them stay with their fixed positions even when I am saying a different thing. I am involved in Nigeria now.”
If we are to apply this scripture to the Nigerian national vision, and if I had the opportunity to speak to the elders of the Nigerian Church I am so clear in my mind about the call of God on them at this sensitive time in Nigeria’s history.
The national vision is referred to in stanza 2 two of the national anthem:
O God of creation,
Direct our noble cause;
Guide our Leaders right:
Help our Youth the truth to know,
In love and honesty to grow,
And living just and true,
Great lofty heights attain,
To build a nation where peace and justice reign.
None of these goals so clearly articulated is attainable outside the plan and strategy of God. This stanza could as well be a paraphrase of 1Tim2:1-4:”Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” This scripture is saying that God desires good government because it promotes the gospel plan.
The prince of peace wants to ride on the Nigerian nation to enter dark places in Africa where the gospel has not fared well, as his last effort to bring people into His kingdom before His return to earth.
This is how he said it to me: ‘Nigeria and South Africa is the twin pillar for the evangelisation of Africa. A mighty church and ministry will rise up from Nigeria that will proclaim the gospel across the nations in truth, in holiness and in the power of My Spirit.”
For God to use this nation in that capacity, the nation must become a desirable place - A place that reflects the beauty, glory and justice of God. This is the bible passage that God used to speak prophetically about His vision for the new Nigeria. All you have to do to get the message is to insert Nigeria wherever you see Israel:
“The desolate land shall be tilled instead of lying desolate in the sight of all who pass by.
So they will say, ‘This land that was desolate has become like the garden of Eden; and the wasted, desolate, and ruined cities are now fortified and inhabited.’
Then the nations which are left all around you shall know that I, the Lord, have rebuilt the ruined places and planted what was desolate. I, the Lord, have spoken it, and I will do it.”
‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “I will also let the house of Israel inquire of Me to do this for them: I will increase their men like a flock.
Like a flock offered as holy sacrifices, like the flock at Jerusalem on its feast days, so shall the ruined cities be filled with flocks of men. Then they shall know that I am the Lord.” (Ezk.36:34-38)
Nigeria will soon become like the garden of Eden, a place of beauty and peace. A nation where the glory and presence of God will be so tangible that it would be felt on the streets of the cities and villages, and many nations of the world would seek to come here to learn how we did it.
God is asking the elders to partner with him to bring this to pass. They are to use their influence to point to the Samuels and Davids that God has raised and clothed with wisdom to deliver the nation. If you ask me to tell the elders what God expects them to do, I will tell them in simple language.
They are to humble themselves before God and submit to His sovereignty. As they do that, the Lord will give them opportunity to define the roadmap for the future. God will make them relevant in the scheme of things. He will use them to lay a new foundation for the nation and also identify and install the Samuels and David’s who have what it takes to lead Nigeria to its destiny in Christ.
If the elders would wait upon God and rely on him, the Lord would tell them plainly the David he has anointed to lead the Nigerian nation to glory. As eldership, they have the right to know and God will not deny them that right.
The role God is giving to the elders is to search out suitable people fit to hold public office, support them and help bring them to limelight. They should partner with the Lord in ensuring that they mount the throne. The kingdom of darkness understands this principle and that is the role that detestable godfathers who have covenanted with the devil are usurping. The elders should be willing and obedient and the Lord will direct them.
At this time when the Christian nation is confused as to the choice of God for the leadership of the nation, they will simply tell the people the person that God has chosen, and God would back them up because they spoke His word and because they are His elders. God loves elders and He loves to rule with eldership:
“And He who sat there was like a jasper and a sardius stone in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, in appearance like an emerald.
Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and on the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white robes; and they had crowns of gold on their heads.” (Rev.4:3-4)
As it is in heaven so also on earth.
Shallom,
In the Master’s service,
Tony Ezeh Esq. 0806 091 2968
www.cafeemonline.com

[color=#000099][/color]

(1) (Reply)

Antichrist Propaganda and The Pope / Christmas Spirit And Islam / Advise Need From All Holyspirit Filled Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.