Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:16 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (974701 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:14pm On Jul 18, 2013
Folks, does anyone know anything about poultry house positioning? We are about to start building our poultry and someone informed us that we need to consider the position of the building. I don't understand what that meant. We have about 9 plots and we want to start with 2 to 3 plots for the poultry project. So talking about position; is it about where the building will face? or this guy just want to collect some consulting fee from us. Also he said we are to register with POULTRY ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA then they can help us in positioning the building. I don't mind registering with the respected agencies or organizations, I just want to understand the positioning deal.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:17pm On Jul 18, 2013
obnelly: Got my first egg today.I am so happy.I purposely delay their production because i didnt want it to lay on the floor.I have all in cages now and i got my first egg today.
Good to labour and in the end you see the result.

congratsooooooooo

am waiting for my DOC. they will soon arrive. please send ur number to thie post or chinwedim2006@yahoo.com so we can talk more
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Sirgee1: 11:52pm On Jul 18, 2013
Hi guys ! Thanks for all ur wonder contributions. I bought 500 DOC in Jan. in May my birds began to lay suddenly they began to die. I took a sample of d dead birds to my vet doc, he told that they had "salmonella"( fowl typhoid). And prescribed bioflum tiloxin corel Sp, afta wards Furalsol and now Maxpan 200. As I write this in tears I have lost 183 birds. embarassed

Please house help me out before i loose all my birds cos I might go crazy.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jesusmandator(m): 3:41am On Jul 19, 2013
positioning is crucial to d well being of ur birds...sunrise in the east and sunset in the west...the first wall side will face the east so as to shield away sun rise and the second wall side will face the west to as to prevent sunset.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:40am On Jul 19, 2013
Sirgee1: Hi guys ! Thanks for all ur wonder contributions. I bought 500 DOC in Jan. in May my birds began to lay suddenly they began to die. I took a sample of d dead birds to my vet doc, he told that they had "salmonella"( fowl typhoid). And prescribed bioflum tiloxin corel Sp, afta wards Furalsol and now Maxpan 200. As I write this in tears I have lost 183 birds. embarassed

My brother pls take it easy. Seek for another vet doctor opinion. Its ver painful. Pls involve another vet
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:05pm On Jul 19, 2013
jesusmandator: positioning is crucial to d well being of ur birds...sunrise in the east and sunset in the west...the first wall side will face the east so as to shield away sun rise and the second wall side will face the west to as to prevent sunset.

Thank you very much, what if the only way the house could be built is North/ South leaving the open sides to face East -West, can using tarpaulin to cover those sides during the rising and setting of the sun help?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:00pm On Jul 19, 2013
Sirgee1: Hi guys ! Thanks for all ur wonder contributions. I bought 500 DOC in Jan. in May my birds began to lay suddenly they began to die. I took a sample of d dead birds to my vet doc, he told that they had "salmonella"( fowl typhoid). And prescribed bioflum tiloxin corel Sp, afta wards Furalsol and now Maxpan 200. As I write this in tears I have lost 183 birds. embarassed

bros what is the situation now? any improvement?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 8:25pm On Jul 19, 2013

Where did you get the DOC from
Did you brood then yourself from DOC to point of lay
Any infection why they were on the floor.
How often did you clean their feeding and drinking equipment?
Is their environment free of dirt?
what is the source of their feed?locally made or from millers(animal care,top feed,livestock feed etc)
Does the feed in the bag mix with water while you store them?
Are they in cages or on the floor?
When did you observe change in the behaviour of the chicken ?
Did you notice any drop in egg production ?
This and many more questions could point a clue to where and when you contacted the samonella.
you may use another vet doctor to be 100% sure of the disease since you said your mortality still goes up.

Sorry about the loss and by the way are you managing the poultry by yourself or you put somebody there?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 8:40pm On Jul 19, 2013
fnk: Folks, does anyone know anything about poultry house positioning? We are about to start building our poultry and someone informed us that we need to consider the position of the building. I don't understand what that meant. We have about 9 plots and we want to start with 2 to 3 plots for the poultry project. So talking about position; is it about where the building will face? or this guy just want to collect some consulting fee from us. Also he said we are to register with POULTRY ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA then they can help us in positioning the building. I don't mind registering with the respected agencies or organizations, I just want to understand the positioning deal.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

I just built a poultry house for myself ,cages ,feeder,nipples and planning to build a bioreactor to convert the poultry droppings into useful biobased products.
I dont think you need any association to build your pen.Since you have large plots of land meant for farming i will advise you to register your company and the land as agric land meant for poultry business so that in the end when houses started encroaching your farm you will have a legal back up that the land is for farm business so any body who cannot stand the odour from your farm will need to evacuate your property than you evacuating your poultry business
Also to erect your pen east and west orientation is very important the reason for that is to prevent sun rays into your pen and to create long shade over your pen house.
Also make sure your pen house is tall enough to allow free flow of air circulation in and outside the pen house

from my experience i think breeze or air flow moves from south to north and sometime otherwise so with the orientation east and west is longer to shade your pen house while north and south is shorter to send cool fresh air across your pen.

Note use quality wire mesh to cover your pen there are some fake wire out there so shine your eyes before buying one.

Good luck
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:51pm On Jul 19, 2013
obnelly:

I just built a poultry house for myself ,cages ,feeder,nipples and planning to build a bioreactor to convert the poultry droppings into useful biobased products.
I dont think you need any association to build your pen.Since you have large plots of land meant for farming i will advise you to register your company and the land as agric land meant for poultry business so that in the end when houses started encroaching your farm you will have a legal back up that the land is for farm business so any body who cannot stand the odour from your farm will need to evacuate your property than you evacuating your poultry business
Also to erect your pen east and west orientation is very important the reason for that is to prevent sun rays into your pen and to create long shade over your pen house.
Also make sure your pen house is tall enough to allow free flow of air circulation in and outside the pen house

from my experience i think breeze or air flow moves from south to north and sometime otherwise so with the orientation east and west is longer to shade your pen house while north and south is shorter to send cool fresh air across your pen.

Note use quality wire mesh to cover your pen there are some fake wire out there so shine your eyes before buying one.

Good luck

Good one.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 9:04pm On Jul 19, 2013
obnelly:

Good luck

Thank you. I will have my guys take a look at the scheduled building position.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 11:25am On Jul 20, 2013
D positionin z jst east-west orientation, such da d sun crosses d roof of d buildin to avoid penetration and ds also controls wind blow
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 10:06pm On Jul 20, 2013
omotititi: Hello friends,i bought d cages for 64k per one .though heavily subsidized cos the guy is a friend.I paid 1k for each POL at 16wks old.

Hi Omotititi, pls, the cages, how many cells per one and how many birds can you stock in each cell? thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 11:11am On Jul 21, 2013
The Shootist:

Hi Omotititi, pls, the cages, how many cells per one and how many birds can you stock in each cell? thanks.

I built battery cages that is cheaper and affordable far lesser than that price.Made in Nigeria(proudly 9ja)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Sirgee1: 1:53pm On Jul 21, 2013
obnelly:

Where did you get the DOC from
Did you brood then yourself from DOC to point of lay
Any infection why they were on the floor.
How often did you clean their feeding and drinking equipment?
Is their environment free of dirt?
what is the source of their feed?locally made or from millers(animal care,top feed,livestock feed etc)
Does the feed in the bag mix with water while you store them?
Are they in cages or on the floor?
When did you observe change in the behaviour of the chicken ?
Did you notice any drop in egg production ?
This and many more questions could point a clue to where and when you contacted the samonella.
you may use another vet doctor to be 100% sure of the disease since you said your mortality still goes up.

Sorry about the loss and by the way are you managing the poultry by yourself or you put somebody there?

Thanks guys.

I got the DOCs from Zartek.

I did the brooding mysef.
Environment is free of dirt. Farm house is cleaned weekly and waste properly disposed
I am currently using deep liter system. Used only top feed wit no mixture from DoC to POL.
This samonella attacked them afta about 4 birds starting laying.

Anyways inorder to limit my loss. I have slaughter all d remaining birds, supplied dem to frozen chicken dealers.

Please can I get the contact details of d animal care so that i can place an order for some POLs.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Sirgee1: 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2013
obnelly:

I built battery cages that is cheaper and affordable far lesser than that price.Made in Nigeria(proudly 9ja)

At what cost?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 2:45pm On Jul 21, 2013
obnelly:

@ what cost? Can u provide some pictures and ur phone number
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Theyjih: 3:07pm On Jul 21, 2013
hi guys any ideas recommending silos/ storage bin makers for feed storage/ milling?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 8:35pm On Jul 21, 2013
sirgee1 and jamp kindly send me an e-mail

the3muskettiers@gmail.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 8:15am On Jul 22, 2013
good morning all,each of the cages can house 120 birds.
@ Obnelly,am happy for you,pls keep your contact so that when we want to expand our farm,we can se ur contact so as to reduce cost.
Please,how much does it cost to transport one POL from say Ogere to Benin? They are asking me to pay N180 per bird and for 500POLs =N90,000.00 and I find that very high.I need help urgently becasue anything we can do to reduce cost as farmers add to our eventual profitability.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by RURIE: 9:09am On Jul 22, 2013
@Obnelly

Kindly give us more detail on your Bio-reactor with institutions or website where we can access additional information.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 4:05pm On Jul 22, 2013
fnk:

Thank you. I will have my guys take a look at the scheduled building position.

I am glad to report that the current positioning out the site for our poultry building is East-West. So we are good.

Thanks guys for your contribution
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:30am On Jul 23, 2013
my people, anybody thinking of going into poultry business must keep alot of cash.

am building a house for my 1000 DOC coming soon and i have spent so much. i bought a land from a village chief here in Abuja and i fneced it with zinc. the house was meant to accomodate 1000 birds but i heard it can contain 1500 cos its big. so far i have spent close to 2m on just building and the land. i heard i will spend more when the chick arrives. the flooring they did for me is very bad so i need to refloor the place.

i thank everybody on this forum cos i have learnt alot. i blame myself for the flooring cos the person that started this thread had same problem and i failed to learn from it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 5:46pm On Jul 23, 2013
@jamp....so sad.But do not give up....Challanges are building blocks for achievers.Post pix so that we can advise on what you can do to redeem the situation.We are with you in prayers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:19pm On Jul 23, 2013
[quote author=jamp]my people, anybody thinking of going into poultry business must keep alot of cash.

am building a house for my 1000 DOC coming soon and i have spent so much. i bought a land from a village chief here in Abuja and i fneced it with zinc. the house was meant to accomodate 1000 birds but i heard it can contain 1500 cos its big. so far i have spent close to 2m on just building and the land. i heard i will spend more when the chick arrives. the flooring they did for me is very bad so i need to refloor the place.

i thank everybody on this forum cos i have learnt alot. i blame myself for the flooring cos the person that started this thread had same problem and i failed to learn from it.

@Jamp, Remember that the land and the building have a very long depreciation value, you will use them to raise thousands on birds, so if you break it down per bird, it is still a good deal. mine will cost me a whole lot more, invoice for my building is N2.8m, And I am not sure that it is going to stop there. My building should hold between 5000 to 8000 at a time. From day old to 8 weeks. So, hang in there.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:08am On Jul 24, 2013
Fnk and Omotitit

thank you guys for your support. i really appreciate. i will post pictures of the building later. i have decided to refloor the place bit by bit starting with the area for the brooding. i will keep u guys updated
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 9:08am On Jul 24, 2013
obnelly:

mailed you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Zemhen1: 11:55am On Jul 24, 2013
niapay: you need to have a brooder heater in there to increase the floor temperature to 33-34' to avoid losing more chicks

Good day every one, I have been following this thread for some time and also doing some research too, on what you guys has been discussing. I will someday start my own poultry farm like you guys .......but am presently preparing for post graduate study ....... I will be coming back to Nigeria when am done but I was wondering if I can get the contact detail of every one here, your phone numbers, email and if possible your company name......I would love to interact with you guys on this thread and have your contacts as a back up.... Thanks for your prompt response
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 2:23pm On Jul 24, 2013
@Omotititi Pls send me ur email or cell phone contact; the_shootist@yahoo.com
thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 9:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
omotititi: good morning all,each of the cages can house 120 birds.
@ Obnelly,am happy for you,pls keep your contact so that when we want to expand our farm,we can se ur contact so as to reduce cost.
Please,how much does it cost to transport one POL from say Ogere to Benin? They are asking me to pay N180 per bird and for 500POLs =N90,000.00 and I find that very high.I need help urgently becasue anything we can do to reduce cost as farmers add to our eventual profitability.

omotiti kindly send me an e-mail to the3muskettiers@gmail.com.
I have one of my boys who can transport your chickens to benin city,if the cost is favourable enough.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:00pm On Jul 24, 2013
Sirgee1:
Thanks guys.

I got the DOCs from Zartek.

I did the brooding mysef.
Environment is free of dirt. Farm house is cleaned weekly and waste properly disposed
I am currently using deep liter system. Used only top feed wit no mixture from DoC to POL.
This samonella attacked them afta about 4 birds starting laying.

Anyways inorder to limit my loss. I have slaughter all d remaining birds, supplied dem to frozen chicken dealers.

Please can I get the contact details of d animal care so that i can place an order for some POLs.

Sorry about that.
why not try chi farms for their ISA BROWN BREED DOC/POL.I have a contact man there ,You still have to troubleshoot the cause of the samonella in your farm otherwise it could expand to your new flock.Please get rid of it fully before stocking new set of young chicks/chickens

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:18pm On Jul 24, 2013
Sirgee1 ,
kindly go through this may be you will be able to learn one or two things about samonella .I culled it from an article over the net.
http://www.sva.se/en/About-SVA/Salmonella-website/Salmonella-in-animals/Salmonella-in-poultry/

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.