Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,431 members, 7,978,362 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 07:00 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (985073 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:10am On Aug 19, 2013
n0m0705:
Is it not too early to start broilers targeted for xmas now? Personally I usually start around 14- 15 wks to xmas and they will be as big as you can imagine (just like breeders).you tend to have lower profit margin when you start too early

bros, is 14-15 weeks not too much? i tot 8-10 weeks is ok. please can u give reasons for ur statement pls
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abbyode(m): 10:02am On Aug 19, 2013
Waoh...interesting thread. I read thru all the pages all thru d nite. I plan to invest in poultry and information here are quite helpful. Kudos to u guys!

Meanwhile, what options do I have if I am not able to be there physically all the time because of my present job demands.

Please advise.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 10:04am On Aug 19, 2013
Good morning all, quite a while. My POLs arrived on the 12 August and they are doing verywell.They are 17 weeks today . Dear colleagues, when should one expect the first egg? I give them topfeeds and got d POLs from Animal Care. God bless all d farmers cos we r working hard to feed our pple.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 4:05pm On Aug 19, 2013
Marco-P :
I learnt the price of eggs is looking up now.
Does anyone have the going rate in Ogun state? I live around Ijoko and the women here want to take my eggs for free.
Wishing you all a profitable week.
Am running my mini backyard poultry at Onipetesi in Ijoko too. Maybe u can help me wit sales when ready(Broilers n cocks 28days old)?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by n0m0705(m): 7:17pm On Aug 19, 2013
jamp:

bros, is 14-15 weeks not too much? i tot 8-10 weeks is ok. please can u give reasons for ur statement pls
Yes you are very right but you have to consider that xmas and new year market is very peculiar, that is the period when you need to bring out your best produce. Ordinarily I dispose off my broilers around 9 wks but my customers normally demand extra large broilers(just like breeders) during xmas. So at 14-15 wks I get broilers that are as big as you can think of.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:23pm On Aug 19, 2013
abbyode: Waoh...interesting thread. I read thru all the pages all thru d nite. I plan to invest in poultry and information here are quite helpful. Kudos to u guys!

Meanwhile, what options do I have if I am not able to be there physically all the time because of my present job demands.

Please advise.

Your biggest assets in Nigeria are TRUSTED persons, until you find one, you better plan on staying pretty close to your farm. And these trusted people are not necessarily your family members, note that.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 9:03pm On Aug 19, 2013
omotititi: Good morning all, quite a while. My POLs arrived on the 12 August and they are doing verywell.They are 17 weeks today . Dear colleagues, when should one expect the first egg? I give them topfeeds and got d POLs from Animal Care. God bless all d farmers cos we r working hard to feed our pple.

Congrats bro. Thank you for keeping the vision alive.
All other things being equal, you should expect your first egg in their 20th week if you use Top feed.
I got my first egg on day 2 of the 20th week, and I'm using Top feed. My birds just enttered their 25th week today. I'm harvesting 4 crates daily now.
I stocked 202 DOC on march 4. I lost only 4 birds along the line, leaving me with 198 birds. I hope to share the financial records later.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 20, 2013
Onainor Samuel :
Hav been d biz but into broilers since my secondary school. As a starter, u must be ready to embrace the risks associated wit poultry biz though very rewarding...success

I've not been frequent on this thread after this post by me.

Pls for those that want to venture into poultry, even if you have so much money, start small and not in the big way so that you'll
gain experience and don't loose your investment. 2weeks to harvesting/ marketing of your produce is not a guarantee that they will not die, the birds can die at any stage.

Above all, it's very rewarding.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 7:37pm On Aug 20, 2013
'was suprised too seeing someone has started raising for xmas already. Except you're gonna sell them for N4,000 upwards, you might run a loss. Even if you switch to maintenance ration at some point, broilers? The crop must be filled. It will work though if u sell at good price.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by DnigerianPrince: 8:11pm On Aug 20, 2013
Please can someone kindly answer some questions I have in mind
1. I heard their is currently too much eggs in circulation making it less profitable for the farmers, how true is that?

2. Which is more profitable, broilers it layers business?

3. How's the market like for starters, is it hard to break into it or is it already a saturated venture?

4. I'm an IT guy with no farm experience whatsoever and I'm only going into this primarily for the profit and not necessarily because I have a passion for it
I hope to get all the right people/ an expert or someone who knows more about it to run it. You know what they say about going into a business just for the love, is this something I should undertake still?

I'll appreciate all opinions and advice
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kentochi(m): 3:13am On Aug 21, 2013
Am very happy to come across this trend have being looking for a trend like this thank you all i think i have somethinmg to look up in this my dream business.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abbyode(m): 5:31am On Aug 21, 2013
fnk:

Your biggest assets in Nigeria are TRUSTED persons, until you find one, you better plan on staying pretty close to your farm. And these trusted people are not necessarily your family members, note that.
Thank u so much for your reply. I appreciate.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 21, 2013
DnigerianPrince: Please can someone kindly answer some questions I have in mind
1. I heard their is currently too much eggs in circulation making it less profitable for the farmers, how true is that?

3. How's the market like for starters, is it hard to break into it or is it already a saturated venture?

4. I'm an IT guy with no farm experience whatsoever and I'm only going into this primarily for the profit and not necessarily because I have a passion for it
I hope to get all the right people/ an expert or someone who knows more about it to run it. You know what they say about going into a business just for the love, is this something I should undertake still?

1. Poultry products(eggs and chicken) are being consumed every day and are high in demand by House hold, hotels, fast food centres etc. The demand for poultry products are higher than the supply, so it's very profitable.

2. Layers or broilers? They have their own intensive care and peculiarities. Everybody consumes egg, so you may choose layers because of the egg, the meat and ready market. You may as well choose broilers, the meat is soft for consumption, no much attention tho sensitive unlike the layers. Broiliers move market, it gives you respect when properly cared for on the farm and the profit is on the high side. I prefer broilers.

3. Even if the market is saturated, just have a VERY good produce, you will smile to the bank at your profit ONLY BUT if you have outstanding marketable produce.(I understand the market and I love the marketing period because my produce are always outstanding amongst others). I remembered selling #5,000 each.

4. Doing what you love is good. Giving it out to be managed is good but managing it yoursef is the best. Don't go into poultry because of the profit, the risks are also on the high side. Atimes in business, the higher the risks the higher the profit(project and risk management). So determine the risks if it's what you can withstand. The risk is very very high as the profit is also very very high.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by DnigerianPrince: 3:05pm On Aug 21, 2013
@Samuel onainor
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. As far as managing it myself goes, I'm not in Nigeria and I have someone I can trust to run it, he has a passion for it as well. I understand the risk aspect of the business, it's the same with every other businesses out there; the higher the risk, the higher the returns.

I may end up with a combination of both.broilers and layers. Thanks once again
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 4:54pm On Aug 21, 2013
omotititi: Good morning all, quite a while. My POLs arrived on the 12 August and they are doing verywell.They are 17 weeks today . Dear colleagues, when should one expect the first egg? I give them topfeeds and got d POLs from Animal Care. God bless all d farmers cos we r working hard to feed our pple.

bros from the site below, they start laying 20-24 weeks, mehn that longoooo

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070508172936AATmAdg
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:29pm On Aug 21, 2013
Help!!! Can anyone recommend a reliable company I can book for day old chicken and also with a good price.

Thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 21, 2013
DnigerianPrince: @Samuel onainor
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. As far as managing it myself goes, I'm not in Nigeria and I have someone I can trust to run it, he has a passion for it as well. I understand the risk aspect of the business, it's the same with every other businesses out there; the higher the risk, the higher the returns.

I may end up with a combination of both.broilers and layers. Thanks once again

You are welcome any time, any day.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 21, 2013
fnk: Help!!! Can anyone recommend a reliable company I can book for day old chicken and also with a good price.

Thank you.

It depends on your location. Go to poultry farms and book from them. Avoid booking from different poultry farms and mixing them together. This is will reduce the rate of infectious disease transmission because some are raised in an unhygenic environment and this is where most diseases are carried and transfered.

But if you must book from different farms, ensure you vaccine them before joining them in the same place where you watch them grow.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Jidemaks(m): 8:07pm On Aug 21, 2013
[/b][b][b][/b]
DnigerianPrince: Please can someone kindly answer some questions I have in mind

1. Broilers or Layers, the market is not bad and both are profitable. You only need to work to penetrate the market and maintain your share of it. As a starter, you are likely to face initial challenges to get your share of the market but in no time you will not have enough to sell. Also do your pre-investment research very well so as to be able to create and sustain products of outstanding quality and buyers will be running after you. The products are in high demand.

2. I strongly advise that you do not go into poultry farming (Broilers or layers) primarily for profit. There are many challenges and frustrating happenings in poultry which will easily put you off if you are not doing it for the interest and love you have for it. Develop passion for it before you invest in it just like for any other business. No matter the expertise, honesty and faithfulness of your Manager, it is important that you love the business as the owner in order to succeed and you will really enjoy it. This is just an advice.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:54pm On Aug 21, 2013
fnk: Help!!! Can anyone recommend a reliable company I can book for day old chicken and also with a good price.

Thank you.

CHI is good @ N200 pee bird
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:54pm On Aug 21, 2013

Thank you.

CHI is good @ N200 per bird
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:11pm On Aug 21, 2013
jamp:

CHI is good @ N200 per bird

Thanks, any one know about day olds from OBASANJO FARMS, ANIMAL CARE, THE BEST CHICKS LIMITED, FIDAN LIMITED,YAMMFY FARMS, AMO BYING NIG. LTD, FARMS SUPPORT POULTRY BREEDERS LTD

My farm is being located along Lekki Epe road. I want to book now for delivery by the end of next month

Thanks guys
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 9:40am On Aug 22, 2013
Fnk if you want from chi I can get you a contact man their.just send me an e-mail.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:01am On Aug 22, 2013
Trusted hmmmm 9japrince,skill + passion = result.from your write up since you don't have the skill nor the passion tell me how do you get result.you better stick to your IT .to be successful in any agric business you must be skillful,participate in daily operations and ready to face risk in the business.but if you sEe half trusted friend or brother or partnership go ahead.you have the money and may be your friend or partner is having the idea.then you share profit 50-50.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 10:39am On Aug 22, 2013
obnelly: Trusted hmmmm 9japrince,skill + passion = result.from your write up since you don't have the skill nor the passion tell me how do you get result.you better stick to your IT .to be successful in any agric business you must be skillful,participate in daily operations and ready to face risk in the business.but if you sEe half trusted friend or brother or partnership go ahead.you have the money and may be your friend or partner is having the idea.then you share profit 50-50.

@obynelly, I sent you an email on conversion of poultry waste to biofuel....I'm yet to receive a reply. Kindly respond...
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 11:15am On Aug 22, 2013
Marco-P :
I learnt the price of eggs is looking up now.
Does anyone have the going rate in Ogun state? I live around Ijoko and the women here want to take my eggs for free.
Wishing you all a profitable week.

Don't sell your golden eggs for free .it could ruin your business if care is not taken.instead of selling for free why not create more market for your produce.Most middle men don't care about farmers ,all they are after is to make more money that the producer.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kengeorge: 11:18am On Aug 22, 2013
Obnelly, pleas, I also made a request on the biorector earlier, If its a solution you can construct, please email me on kengeorgewests@yahoo.com so we can talk.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 11:20am On Aug 22, 2013
laposta:

@obynelly, I sent you an email on conversion of poultry waste to biofuel....I'm yet to receive a reply. Kindly respond...

Sorry I will check and reply you later in the evening.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by RURIE: 3:06pm On Aug 22, 2013
obnelly:

Sorry I will check and reply you later in the evening.

Please also mail me on the bio-reactor abigofarms@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 3:55pm On Aug 22, 2013
obnelly: Fnk if you want from chi I can get you a contact man their.just send me an e-mail.

Please give me your email address. Also, can I reference you when I call your guy at Chi? maybe I can get it for a better price.

Thanks you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 5:35pm On Aug 22, 2013
Gentlmen i am set to start my farm, i am renting a pen at a farm after IFO in ogun state, this farm is a cooperative, there are many farmers all around there doing various things, poultry,pigry, fishery etc i was looking for land to start my farm when i discovered i can start by renting a pen that is not in use. i did some renovation.
I have ordered for 600 broilers and 600 layers DOC from CHI . Somebody will be helping me managed it because i m a starter, though i will also be around. My birds will arrive before the first week of september. I will be updating the house if possible with pictures.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 5:51pm On Aug 22, 2013
Idango: Gentlmen i am set to start my farm, i am renting a pen at a farm after IFO in ogun state, this farm is a cooperative, there are many farmers all around there doing various things, poultry,pigry, fishery etc i was looking for land to start my farm when i discovered i can start by renting a pen that is not in use. i did some renovation.
I have ordered for 600 broilers and 600 layers DOC from CHI . Somebody will be helping me managed it because i m a starter, though i will also be around. My birds will arrive before the first week of september. I will be updating the house if possible with pictures.

How much did you pay for your Day old broilers?

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.