Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,658 members, 7,951,778 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 11:37 PM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (117246 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 5:36pm On Sep 07, 2013
Igbo envy must have really gotten to this lady. Before you start mentioning that of the Igbo's, why don't you start by telling us of the great achievements of the Fulani, your ancestors? tongue
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 5:38pm On Sep 07, 2013
@LOL at Madam Chima trying to make a point! Who knows where she copied that from!

grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 07, 2013
Nobody wants to know how your momz blows domes.

keep that among yourselves.

secondly, don't worry about my ancestors.
it has nothing to do with you...AT ALL.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 5:46pm On Sep 07, 2013
I'll keep posting facts. History + DNA testing will keep speaking for itself.

SLAVE HISTORY OF BARBADOS

When Slavery Began The Slave History of Barbados started after Captain Powell brought the 10 slaves in 1627. The slave population in 1629 was still diminutive with not more than 50 Amerindian and African slaves working the land, in construction and in homes. This low slave population was due to few persons being able to buy slaves at that time.
Slaves brought into Barbados came from various
tribes out of the forest region of West Africa, during
village raids. Some of the African tribes were Eboes, Paw-paws and Igbo. They came via slave trade forts on the African west coast, set up by Europeans. Such forts were the Axim and El Mina. After being traded for trinkets, the slaves were sent to the Caribbean and sold to Plantation owners.
In 1636, officials passed a law declaring all slaves
brought into Barbados, whether African or Amerindian were to be enslaved for life. It was later extended to include their off springs. At this time
there were only 22 free coloured persons on the
island.

http://www.funbarbados.com/ourisland/history/slavery.cfm
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 5:49pm On Sep 07, 2013
Then why does mine seems to get you this worked up? Why does anything Igbo get you all emotional and superficial?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 5:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
@Jayvarley

Wikipedia continues:

The word Bim, a name for Barbados, was commonly
used by enslaved Barbadians (Bajans). This word is
said to derive from the Igbo language, derived from
bi mu (or either bem, Ndi bem, Nwanyi ibem or
Nwoke ibem) (English: My people),[16][17] but it
may have other origins (see: Barbados etymology).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_language
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:00pm On Sep 07, 2013
Each time I keep posting facts on Igbo people and Transatlantic slave trade, critics will say I'm trying to claim AAs, Jamos when the records are there and speak clearly for themselves.

Critics claim Igbo people love to claim people when we are only reiterating what is already written on websites and research records.

How then are we claiming?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 07, 2013
bigfrancis21: Then why does mine seems to get you this worked up? Why does anything Igbo get you all emotional and superficial?

Apart from cattle rearing, female mutilation traditions and nomadic achievement of the Fulani, your ancestors, name any other contribution so worthy of mentioning?

I've asked you this before. Why is this so hard for you to answer?

I really don't care about you or igbos.
these "why are you mad" questions are pointless.

I already made it clear...as long as you make sure to keep your competition with the other folks ON THAT SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC it's all good.
other than that I could careless. Neither you nor your tribe has done anything for me.

You can keep talking about the fulanis as you please lol.
At the end of the day they are not my responsibility either. One thing I can say is big ups to them for NOT selling their own. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 07, 2013
They say "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting change..."
and that's real talk.

arguing with an ethnocentric troll with a MASSIVE case of inferiority complex on a forum is not helping me at all.

@jayvarley talk to you later mi bredda grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:06pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:

I really don't care about you or igbos.
these "why are you mad" questions are pointless.

I already made it clear...as long as you make sure to keep your competition with the other folks ON THAT SIDE OF THE ATLANTIC it's all good.
other than that I could careless. Neither you nor your tribe has done anything for me.

You can keep talking about the fulanis as you please lol.
At the end of the day they are not my responsibility either. One thing I can say is big ups to them for NOT selling their own. grin

@Bold...Kails just exposed her gross ignorance again. They didn't sell their own, then how come you found your way all over the atlantic? How then did your fulani ancestors make their way to Jamaica, MsDarkSkin? Did they cattle rear themselves over to that place? grin grin grin

You claimed before that the Fulani were the first shipped slaves. Now you turn around to claim they didn't sell their own.

You see how you don't think well before spitting words back just to whoop BigFrancis21's azz?

Must you keep responding even when you are absolutely clueless?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 07, 2013
the same dude who thought Diop was Indian talking to me about not knowing facts?

lol disgrace to Africa and all of humanity.

continue talking to Jayvarley.

you don't even know about prehistoric nor medieval West African history and I don't care to educate you on that. As a matter of a fact, I have nothing more to say to you on this topic.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:11pm On Sep 07, 2013
HISTORY OF BELIZE

Most slaves, even if they were brought through West Indian markets, were born in Africa, probably from around the Bight of Biafra, the Congo, and Angola—the principal sources of British slaves in the late 18th century. The Eboe or Ibo seem to have
been particularly numerous; one section of Belize Town was known as Eboe Town in the first half of the 19th century.
At first, many slaves maintained African ethnic identifications and cultural practices. Gradually, however, the process of assimilation was creating a new, synthetic
Creole culture.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Belize_(15061862)
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 07, 2013
Jay I see you.
Don't forget about that write up now? wink
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:12pm On Sep 07, 2013
Why's she suddenly mute on her so-called Fulani ancestry? Troll keeps goofin' big time.

Who's the laughing stock now? grin grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 07, 2013
you can post it here @ jayvarley

https://www.nairaland.com/1061872/thread-fi-jamaican-patois

this ought to be interesting.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by sky4(m): 6:19pm On Sep 07, 2013
Thirst4Lif: I think you really did not read the rigjt meaning into what the young man was trying to say...I think he actually was praising Africa as a place of high moral and dignity as opposed to saying that America is better while Africa is not... Go back to the text and reread.

That sentence alone would be a major turn off for me. Clearly he doesn't have very much respect for African

Americans, which is laughable considering the heinous acts we hear about almost daily perpetrated on his own continent.

Sounds like a white person saying to a Black person, "I'm not racist, but, " then they go on to say something

derogatory against Black people. Your friend needs to clean up his comments. Let him know from the start you find

remarks such as the one above very offensive. Do not let it fester or he will continue to say demeaning things like that to you.

You're only 21 years old, there's no reason you should settle for anything in a man less than what you really desire!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:20pm On Sep 07, 2013
HISTORY OF BELIZE

Most slaves, even if they were brought through West Indian markets, were born in Africa, probably from around the Bight of Biafra, the Congo, and Angola—the principal sources of British slaves in the late 18th century. The Eboe or Ibo seem to have
been particularly numerous; one section of Belize Town was known as Eboe Town in the first half of the 19th century.
At first, many slaves maintained African ethnic identifications and cultural practices. Gradually, however, the process of assimilation was creating a new, synthetic
Creole culture.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Belize_(15061862)

@Jayvarley...the bolded part of the portion of the statement above lends credence to the fact that the British preferred those from Biafra, Congo, and Angola. Biafra of which I earlier mentioned.

Little wonder that anywhere Congo slaves were prevalent, Ebo slaves were also likely to be found in substantial numbers there too. Take the Census count of 1813 of Trinidad and Tobago, for example, as given below.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 07, 2013
alright I don't see the write up coming any time soon.
and a sister gotta eat.

so i'm ghost.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:26pm On Sep 07, 2013
Suddenly, Kails isn't proud of her Fulani ancestry. Little wonder she rarely talks about it. Yet she'd rather attack the achievement of another tribe and belittle the efforts all in the bid to cover her ancestral complex.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 6:34pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:
the same dude who thought Diop was Indian talking to me about not knowing facts?

lol disgrace to Africa and all of humanity.

continue talking to Jayvarley.

you don't even know about prehistoric nor medieval West African history and I don't care to educate you on that. As a matter of a fact, I have nothing more to say to you on this topic.

The same Troll who claimed DNA testings were hogwash and incapable of tracing african american's ancestry to a particular tribe because, according to her, 'we are too mixed to be traced to one tribe'? Because fewer and fewer african americans are coming up with fulani ancestry against your expectations, then suddenly you turn around and claim that DNA testing is inefficient?

The same Troll who then modified her claim that 'DNA testing can't go beyond 5 generations back'? The same DNA testing that has proved ever efficient by tracing one's ancestor down to the very first ancestor?

To all these your claims I gave you clear-cut lessons on DNa testing. Now you've suddenly gone mute on anything DNA testing. Its clear it beats your imagination to realize that you've been highly illusioned all these time.

Your Fulani ancestry is very clear. Now I see strikingly similar characteristics of Pagan 9Ja, a popular Fulani/Hausa Nairaland Troll, in you.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 6:45pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:
Chima....did you know the first Africans to migrate out of Africa and populate the globe were Igbo?

No!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by sky4(m): 6:48pm On Sep 07, 2013
Thirst4Lif: I think you really did not read the rigjt meaning into what the young man was trying to say...I think he actually was praising Africa as a place of high moral and dignity as opposed to saying that America is better while Africa is not... Go back to the text and reread.

That sentence alone would be a major turn off for me. Clearly he doesn't have very much respect for African

Americans, which is laughable considering the heinous acts we hear about almost daily perpetrated on his own continent.

Sounds like a white person saying to a Black person, "I'm not racist, but, " then they go on to say something

derogatory against Black people. Your friend needs to clean up his comments. Let him know from the start you find

remarks such as the one above very offensive. Do not let it fester or he will continue to say demeaning things like that to you.

You're only 21 years old, there's no reason you should settle for anything in a man less than what you really desire!
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 6:50pm On Sep 07, 2013
bigfrancis21: @LOL at Madam Chima trying to make a point! Who knows where she copied that from!

grin grin

You are the king of copying and pasting gone horribly wrong.

You have posted links from an university talking about the federal survey aka the US. Census supported your dumb and ignorant azz

Nigga please stop proving why people say Yorubas are the most educated tribe. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

No!

yeah girl.
the sentinelese people are igbos too
and the Celtics of Ireland. smiley
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Nigga please stop proving why people say Yorubas are the most educated tribe. lipsrsealed

damn...lol
I know he isn't that bright and is a horrible representation of his ppl
but girl don't get involved in their tribalism shyt now. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:

yeah girl.
the sentinelese people are igbos too
and the Celtics of Ireland. smiley

In fact the Aztecs came from Igboland too
and so did the Olmec.

And here is the best part, THE ORIGINAL JEWS WERE IGBOS! grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
yeah chima that's undeniable facts for you.
Everyone and their mommas are of Igbo stock.

even my phone is Igbo.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 07, 2013
kwame tut: @BigFrances
FAMOUS AA SERGEON DR BEN CARSON IS OF ANGOLA-CONGO ROOTS LIKE CHRIS TUCKER HIS HIS LINKS ALL HAD BANTU ROOTS.

AFRO AMERICANS SHOWING THEIR PROUD BANTU ROOTS. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

http://pinterest.com/asmcfadden/people-of-angolan-congolese-descent/

I read his biography YEARS ago.
that brother is very impressive.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 6:59pm On Sep 07, 2013
*Kails*:

damn...lol
I know he isn't that bright and is a horrible representation of his ppl
but girl don't get involved in their tribalism shyt now. grin

Actually from my research Yorubas are the most educated because the importance of education first compared to Igbos who are business minded and savy,but I am no way implying one tribe is superior than the other.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 7:00pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You have posted links from an university talking about the federal survey aka the US. Census supported your dumb and ignorant azz

grin grin.

There she goes again. Dumb as usual. grin
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Actually from my research Yorubas are the most educated because the importance of education first compared to Igbos who are business minded and savy,but I am no way implying one tribe is superior than the other.

I feel you.
it's no concern of mine tbh.

so I want no parts of that...but anyway,
my brother's car tire just found out it's Igbo.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by eziza: 7:02pm On Sep 07, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Seriously, "an university?"

Stop it with the Ebonics. I thought you grew up in an "all white" neighbourhood?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (59) (Reply)

Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast / Yoruba Mythology / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.