Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,920 members, 7,883,212 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 06:26 AM

Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? (8597 Views)

Setting Up Pc To Pc Lan And Sharing A Usb Modem Internet Services In The Network / When Will Nigerians Get Good Unlimited Internet Services In This Country? / Broadband Internet Services in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by bunmifx(m): 4:45pm On Apr 14, 2011
Starcoms is the best in Nigeria
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by Chuks84(m): 5:09pm On Apr 14, 2011
I have used them all, and in terms of stability, Starcomms is the best. MTN has the fastest speed but disconnects at will. Multilinks would have been ideal for me, but I hate their billing system, the same billing systems all these mobile networks are adapting. I stick to starcomms because they provide me with the option of unlimited browsing, even though their speed is average at best.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by vaLasce(m): 5:18pm On Apr 14, 2011
I think it depends on one's location
Etisalat works(well above average)4moi.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by Fhemmmy: 5:43pm On Apr 14, 2011
Nigeria as a whole is just a big joke
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by routik(m): 6:28pm On Apr 14, 2011
There are some businesses that require steady internet connection that cannot survive in Nigeria because of the ineffectiveness of our ISPs [/b]and you are saying people should be quiet about this and just swallow this rubbish?

If you notice in my reply earlier on i talked about our c-band dedicated bandwidth, the network am talking of is coming from U.S and  we have been using that network for more than a year now. they are reliable and speed is ok for a cafe business around university with 30 systems and outdoor wireless, if i combine and sum it all i have like 40 clients connected to our server at a time and we function MON- SUN.(minimum of 15 clients at a time)
How many Nigeria banks use Nigeria based [b]ISP
for their business? our cafe image was nearly tarnished when we were using one Nigeria ISP (don't want to mention names).

I have hooked few people up with tbis same network and no much complain apart form solar outage period and during upgrade/maintenance which doesn't last for 1hr at wort 2hrs.

here is my conclusion:
Reliable, stable and efficient internet is expensive (esp outside Nig), the speed of visa, starcomms, multiklinks 1X [/b]and that of [b]EVDO will never be the same.
I think the major problems in Nigeria internet is

1. good equipments that can hook tight and remain stable for a long time connection without timing out (esp to their satellite)

2. efficient bandwidth management and sharing plus billing system.( i manage our cafe network well, no shitting ).

I am tired of typing lipsrsealed
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by Deltagal: 6:48pm On Apr 14, 2011
i think starcomms is the best.i use it everyday and its fast and reliable.mtn fastlink is just a rip off.have yet to meet one person who has a kind word for it.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by riches5k: 7:07pm On Apr 14, 2011
As for me i have tried all the network in the country. i can not advise my enemy to use mtn network to browse they are just fooling us with great advert on tv. As for glo and visaphone there service is ok .But there tariff is too high .The one am using presently is swift network the service is not stable and the price is ok
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by Echala: 7:51pm On Apr 14, 2011
The problem with Nigerian internet users is they want something they can always carry around. For me I do not have a need to me carrying my internet service all over the place, so IPNX works great for me. I have been using it for the past three years. Hardly ever goes down and the speed thrumps any of those USB stick type of internet Nigerians prefer.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by otokx(m): 7:55pm On Apr 14, 2011
MTN are tricksters, the week your subscription is meant to end they will pity you small and allow you to browse. Load 8k and press the activate button then the unimaginable starts happening. You connect and send packets but cannot receive. HSDPA will turn to 3G then EDGE and you can't connect. Some times its all nodes are busy and that is how it will be for most of the time till the week for renewal.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by konami001: 8:22pm On Apr 14, 2011
Well i use a 3g Repeater (Booster) with mtn and glo combination, works well for me, i can download at very high speed and also can switch whenever any one of them is mis-behaving, so i really have no complaints, if you have 3g network in your area, and you have a 3g Repeater, then it will appear very strange to you whenever people complain about Mtn or Glo internet, believe me,
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by jawjaw1: 8:50pm On Apr 14, 2011
For me, I have a few of them, Starcomms, Zoom Mobile, MTN, IPNX and now SWIFT. Still use my MTN when I am on the go becuase of its coverage but I did enjoy IPNX. They are quite reliable. However, I changed to SWIFT recently because they offered me longer hours and a cheaper rate than what IPNX was offering. In addittion their modem is a wireless router that enables me to connect via wifi to as many systems as possible within the house. I am enjoying their services right now hoping they wont change with time.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by EPOMA(m): 9:37pm On Apr 14, 2011
konami001:

Well i use a 3g Repeater (Booster) with mtn and glo combination,  works well for me,  i can download at very high speed and also can switch whenever any one of them is mis-behaving,  so i really have no complaints,  if you have 3g network in your area, and you have a 3g Repeater,  then it will appear very strange to you whenever people complain about Mtn or Glo internet,  believe me,

Please what repeater is this if you don't mine telling us
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by konami001: 9:50pm On Apr 14, 2011
This is the one i use,

Works great, all 3g full network bars,
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by endmoll(m): 11:01pm On Apr 14, 2011
Nutridor:

EverJ I also live in Port Harcourt and have had the same experience. I even used Mobitel before they died. What I have realised is that mobile phone operators are not the best internet service providers. This is because it is not their primary service. I suggest you look for a service provider whose primary service is internet provision i.e an ISP. I recommend IPNX. I have been using them for about 6 months and they are very reliable. I even do skype video calls. The one that really impressed me was when they were down for about 1 day due to a fibre cut. The day was credited back. I do not think MTN will ever do that.
I also used to live in portharcourt and i had to be paying for starcoms and multilinks at the same time,with starcoms if you are not living in the town you can't have access to the internet but with multilinks you can have access.
Starcoms to me is the best ISP in Nigeria and i have my multilinks for back up when i am any were in the country that starcoms does not have coverage.
I think the best option is to have two service providers at the same time so that if one is not working you can use the other. That is the reason why we need change in Nigeria so that our government can protect us from all these multinational companies who are milking us on a daily basis in the name of ISP.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by Phony200(m): 11:10pm On Apr 14, 2011
Multilinks has been good for about 2 years that i've been on it. MTN is a different kettle of fish entirely but it's stable on mobile devices, on laptops is a different issue.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by Nobody: 1:32am On Apr 15, 2011
Tried starcomms and somehow enjoyed it but its not jet like speed per say. I dont even know if zoom exists anymore, though they sucked but i downloaded the whole world with it.
Then came MTN. Guys when signal is great i get steady 5mbps and its lightning bolt speed. But for 4 months now i have never paid for subscription and i browse 24/7 non stop. LOL
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by desholah(m): 2:45am On Apr 15, 2011
OP.
Everything in that country sucks, undecided undecided
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by webaplanet(m): 7:48am On Apr 15, 2011
i have used mtn and was not satisfied and moved to etisalt, now i an on airtel, and i am gettng some satisfaction, using my phone and airtel modem, to surf the net , give airtel a try please,
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by ashley86(f): 9:21am On Apr 15, 2011
glo just cut off my bis!!! angry d tin wey be say na 26th march i acticate am!!! called CS only for wan useless gal to tell me dat once ve used more dan 1.5GB in a month, dey cut u off whether ur subscription has expired or not!!!!!! angry Dier damn advert says d data bundle is unlimited so i dnt kno d meanin of all dis BS. Am leavin dat netwrk immediately!!!or is it d same for all networks?? Pls who knos d best network to use for BIS, i stay arnd abule egba, lagos, which netwrk's BIS will be beta?
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by underscore: 10:25am On Apr 15, 2011
Please try MOBITEL, Nigeria's first 4G provider.
Fast, reliable and affordable.
Check www.mobitel.com.ng for latest PROMO more details!
Awesome!!!
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by Ecash1: 11:47am On Apr 15, 2011
As I am writing this, I have the carcass of MTN Modem, Zoom Modem , Zain modem, Glo modem but at the end of it all , it is Visafone I am using now for the past 8 months, it has got the job done fairly well for me, at least not as epileptic as MTN and as erratic as Zoom.
Wahala still dey "naija' broadband / Isp usage, I heard swift is good.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by marcus1234: 12:24pm On Apr 15, 2011
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by bist: 12:51pm On Apr 15, 2011
eMpTy N has the worst of all BIS, u shud try starcoms BIS its very very gud infact its the best rite now. I've been using it for sum weeks now, i got to knw abt it frm an inside source(vry vry coded u knw). i just hope wen the eventually roll it out for the masses it just doesnt get messed up like eMpTy N.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by mbulela: 1:39pm On Apr 15, 2011
MultiLinks is decent.
I use it and i can't complain too much.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by LordReed(m): 10:51pm On Apr 15, 2011
It's quite a shock to see all the bad reviews for MTN fastlink. I've been using this for awhile and I prefer them to Visaphone, Glo, Airtel and even ipnx.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by bily(m): 2:14am On Apr 16, 2011
amrygirl:

i wonder if u guyz have heard abt MOBITEL 4G NETWRK, im loving it!!!!!!

could you give us an idea of the speed on mobitel 4g?
heard they now offer unlimited data download. min subscription quoted as 1mbps for N10k. not bad
how is the realword speed compared to the quoted speed on their site?
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by noblefada: 5:24am On Apr 16, 2011
Well having worked as a network engineer both in the south-west and the north, i can understand wat the OP is talking about. ISP's in Nigeria are not just a big joke, they are an embarrassment! The biggest of the thieves is MTN, currently using mtn fastlink now for some days i cannot connect between 9.00pm and 12 am, hav to wake @ 2.00am b4 i can browse.

I've tried all of them, they always hav issues. they most annoying part is that their CS is a joke, they will tell u all sort of lies to blame their network issues on you, except you now tell them you know about their tech b4 they own up. The major problem they have which is seen in almost all spheres in Nija is that they are all profit oriented rather than being service oriented, from my experience they take in more clients than their network can handle and don't do a proper testing and evaluation before large scale deployment. The management asks the technical team "is it browsing?" they reply "yes", then they say "deploy, money is waiting for us to grab!", "but sir we have not finish testing!". "Deploy! money first! we continue testing as the money comes in".

Well i don't blame them, honestly i don't! my annoyance is with NCC who are suppose to regulate them. What do you expect, NIja is one of the only place in the world where you can do anything and get away with it.

One day, there will be a revolution and alot of lawsuits, untill that day i guess we'll just continue suffering & smilling!
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by delinger: 9:25am On Apr 16, 2011
Not really but LINKSERVE LIMITED IS A FRAUD!!!!!, It took the help of the Nigerian Police Force(Barbeach police Station) to get my refund back after 2 months of (The MD is not around to refund me)I cant even recommend LINKSERVE to my enemy.Pls whatever you do pls don't go to LINKSERVE.They will sell faulty equipments and bandwidth that a single system can not use.IPNX,Starcomms,Swift,they are not that bad BUT Linkserve Ltd, pls no go area, their blast broadband stuff is just a lie to lure in more custormers.even thier sales manager(mr.Cyril Acha) called me up and apologized and explained that their M.D one Mr. victor is a useless man and was aware the network is choked up but insisted that they should bring in more customers to raise funds in respect of their upcoming project about deploying radio connections all over Lagos State.there is no blast broadband!!! i repeat
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by sizzlers(m): 12:13pm On Apr 16, 2011
Starcom starcom bla bla bla, i ve used starcoms for 12 months but it wacks. Their downld speed very slow i resides in d east though i heared it works well in Lagos. I use Fastlink now and its giving me what i want.
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by skelemba: 2:44pm On Apr 16, 2011
Follow @mypages10 on twitter for your news update and hottest entertainment gist.
www.twitter.com/mypages10
Re: Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? by wazobiang: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2011
i don't even need to read your post. the straight answer is yes. its a big joke here. tried all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) / Come In For Your Free Open Vpn Servers / Laptop Prices In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.