Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,083 members, 7,919,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 09:41 AM

How BBC Caused Crisis In The North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How BBC Caused Crisis In The North (1856 Views)

Cameroon 'kills 100 Boko Haram Fighters And Frees 900 Hostages' -bbc Africa / Fresh Crisis In Senate As APC Senators Vow To Stop Ekweremadu From Presiding / Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by aloyemeka2: 11:13pm On Apr 19, 2011
[size=14pt]How BBC caused crisis in the North[/size]

Meanwhile, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) Hausa Service had been blamed for the riots and confusion in Adamawa State, following its alleged broadcast that the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, had won the election in Adamawa State, when the electoral commission in the state was still collating results.

The Special Adviser to the Adamawa State Governor, Aminu Iyawa, told journalists that the BBC broadcast was orchestrated to cause mischief and chaos. He said violence erupted after the electoral commission announced Goodluck Jonathan of the PDP as winner in the state.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/apr/19/602.html
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 11:20pm On Apr 19, 2011
Perhaps BBC had people on the ground at the polling booths who then phoned the #s back to the main office, then added up to figure out who won.

If that is what they did, who can blame them for announcing a winner? In theory, doing that should tell you who won.

Not really their fault that adding up the # of votes at the polling booths is not a valid way of saying who won a LGA or state (at least in naija tongue )
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 11:29pm On Apr 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

Perhaps BBC had people on the ground at the polling booths who then phoned the #s back to the main office, then added up to figure out who won.

If that is what they did, who can blame them for announcing a winner? In theory, doing that should tell you who won.

Not really their fault that adding up the # of votes at the polling booths is not a valid way of saying who won a LGA or state (at least in naija tongue )

Daft.

Do you work for BBC?
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 11:34pm On Apr 19, 2011
What does working for the BBC have to do with this hypothesis? How is that relevant, at all?

I also do not work for Pizza Hut. . . that has about as much relevance to this discussion.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 11:40pm On Apr 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

What does working for the BBC have to do with this hypothesis? How is that relevant, at all?

I also do not work for Pizza Hut. . . that has about as much relevance to this discussion.

Crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 19, 2011
Nosy britts! Who made them collation officers? Am not surprised shebi they've made naija political power equation lopsided by handing over to northerners after independence so they 'l expect an extension of born to rule mentality.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 11:56pm On Apr 19, 2011
Beaf:

Crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Hehe. OK, let me test you a bit, see if you are just randomly googling or actually understand what these terms mean.

So first of all, I'm assuming that you know what the terms "hypothesis" and "proposition" mean in philosophy, logic, and mathematics? And how their meanings are very precise and quite different from what it means when we speak English casually? If you do not understand what these terms mean, then there was no point in you accusing me of "begging the question". . . since you obviously won't understand what that term means either  grin

Alright, let us begin. I'll assume that again you understand what the above three terms in quotes mean, in the context of logic.

Now, kindly explain to me, what proposition did I assume without proving or justifying?  grin grin grin

Be very careful Beaf; don't make any mistakes in answering this question I have asked grin Think very carefully, lest you be exposed to the world as a person who throws around words and phrases without understanding their meaning.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 12:00am On Apr 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hehe. OK, let me test you a bit, see if you are just randomly googling or actually understand what these terms mean.

So first of all, I'm assuming that you know what the terms "hypothesis" and "proposition" mean in philosophy, logic, and mathematics? And how their meanings are very precise and quite different from what it means when we speak English casually? If you do not understand what these terms mean, then there was no point in you accusing me of "begging the question". . . since you obviously won't understand what that term means either  grin

Alright, let us begin. I'll assume that again you understand what the above three terms in quotes mean, in the context of logic.

Now, kindly explain to me, what proposition did I assume without proving or justifying?  grin grin grin

Be very careful Beaf; don't make any mistakes in answering this question I have asked grin Think very carefully, lest you be exposed to the world as a person who throws around words and phrases without understanding their meaning.

Shut up and stop trying to hide your shame at being caught at your dishonest game.
. . .Writing volumes of silliness. angry
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by o9999: 12:03am On Apr 20, 2011
same BBC that interviewed Yar'Adua??
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 12:04am On Apr 20, 2011
o9999:

same BBC that interviewed Yar'Adua??

Yes o! The man in coma! grin
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 12:06am On Apr 20, 2011
So rather than taking the exam, you decide to skip it? grin grin grin

"Begging the question", indeed grin grin grin

Arrogant stupidity was the term I used to describe you before. Imagine, a man who will accuse another of "begging the question". . . without first understanding what the phrase means!
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 12:18am On Apr 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

So rather than taking the exam, you decide to skip it? grin grin grin

"Begging the question", indeed grin grin grin

Arrogant stupidity was the term I used to describe you before. Imagine, a man who will accuse another of "begging the question". . . without first understanding what the phrase means!

Using tonnes of smilies when there is absolutely nothing funny points at self esteem (or other disturbing psychological) issues. Anyone with a cure for the borderline insane?
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by nduchucks: 12:30am On Apr 20, 2011
@ekt_bear, stop embarassing Beaf by exposing his intellectual inadequacy. Frankly, I know Beaf enough to say that he is only pretending to be a intellectual midget this time around - i.e. unless I've been wrong all along. LWKMD cheesy
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 12:34am On Apr 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@ekt_bear, stop embarassing Beaf by exposing his intellectual inadequacy. Frankly, I know Beaf enough to say that he is only pretending to be a intellectual midget this time around - i.e. unless I've been wrong all along. LWKMD cheesy

Aboki, are you on break from burning churches?
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 12:40am On Apr 20, 2011
@Beaf: Trying to change the subject and cover your shame after failing the exam, I guess grin grin grin

This is the problem with growing up in your life using "expo" to pass exams. It makes you mentally weak, food for the strong grin grin grin

Anyway, let me stop mocking you, that is a being a bit unkind. I should instead help, rather than mock.

Here is a list of logical fallacies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
And here is a top 20 list of the ones people usually screw up on: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/resources/logicalfallacies.aspx

Might be worth your time to read through some of them. In particular, read the article you linked to from Wikipedia on "beg the question" carefully. It won't take you too much time to understand the concept, it is pretty easy. If you still don't understand, here are some other references for you to master the concept:

1) http://skepdic.com/begging.html
2) http://www.fallacyfiles.org/begquest.html

There is a bunch of other stuff you can google too.

Then spend another three minutes reading what you quoted from me. Understand why you accusing me of "begging the question" makes zero sense here. For someone to "beg the question", at a minimum, there must be some sort of proposition being made.

It was impossible for me to "beg the question", since I made no proposition!  grin grin grin

(again, note that "proposition" in this context is different from the colloquial English usage! I mean "proposition" as used in logic or mathematics, not when ordinary people say the word "proposition." Again, to repeat, "proposition" in the context of accusing someone of "begging the question" is different from, "Oh gee, that is a pretty crappy proposal for why the BBC did XYZ, ekt_bear."wink

Anyway, Beaf as a general rule. . . make sure you understand what English phrases and expressions mean before you use them. Especially the ones related to logical fallacies. People use them all the time inappropriately without understand what they mean. You are not the first one who has made this mistake, and probably will not be the last.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 12:45am On Apr 20, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@ekt_bear, stop embarassing Beaf by exposing his intellectual inadequacy. Frankly, I know Beaf enough to say that he is only pretending to be a intellectual  midget this time around - i.e. unless I've been wrong all along.   LWKMD   cheesy

Hehe. I didn't really want to embarrass him. If I wanted to, I'd have dragged it out to 20 posts or so, so he could keep digging himself into a deeper and deeper pit grin grin grin

Read through my post. I gave him every chance to take back his accusation. I hinted strongly that he had made a huge mistake. My hope was that he'd actually google those three terms I quoted, try to deeply understand them, and then see his error. How more easily could I have let him off? grin grin grin

Anyway, if he calls you an "aboki", just remind him of "begging the question" grin grin grin
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 12:56am On Apr 20, 2011
^
Poor thing, see how the embarrassment of being caught with your hands in the pot is making you use smilies like a mad fool. lol

ekt_bear:

@Beaf: Trying to change the subject and cover your shame after failing the exam, I guess grin grin grin

This is the problem with growing up in your life using "expo" to pass exams. It makes you mentally weak, food for the strong grin grin grin

Anyway, let me stop mocking you, that is a being a bit unkind. I should instead help, rather than mock.

Here is a list of logical fallacies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
And here is a top 20 list of the ones people usually screw up on: http://www.theskepticsguide.org/resources/logicalfallacies.aspx

Might be worth your time to read through some of them. In particular, read the article you linked to from Wikipedia on "beg the question" carefully. It won't take you too much time to understand the concept, it is pretty easy. If you still don't understand, here are some other references for you to master the concept:

1) http://skepdic.com/begging.html
2) http://www.fallacyfiles.org/begquest.html

There is a bunch of other stuff you can google too.

Then spend another three minutes reading what you quoted from me. Understand why you accusing me of "begging the question" makes zero sense here. For someone to "beg the question", at a minimum, there must be some sort of proposition being made.

It was impossible for me to "beg the question", since I made no proposition!  grin grin grin

(again, note that "proposition" in this context is different from the colloquial English usage! I mean "proposition" as used in logic or mathematics, not when ordinary people say the word "proposition." Again, to repeat, "proposition" in the context of accusing someone of "begging the question" is different from, "Oh gee, that is a pretty crappy proposal for why the BBC did XYZ, ekt_bear."wink

Anyway, Beaf as a general rule. . . make sure you understand what English phrases and expressions mean before you use them. Especially the ones related to logical fallacies. People use them all the time inappropriately without understand what they mean. You are not the first one who has made this mistake, and probably will not be the last.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Lol! What a sad sod!
Poor lil cassava muncher feels so ticked that he's done a hours of google research in a vain attempt to absolve himself from the sin of begging the question. Its less palatable name is dishonesty.
You committed a fools blunder by starting with "perhaps" and ending with the certainty of "not really their fault." You were caught attempting to bend the topic, now you are running helter skelter like a headless chicken. You were found out, live with it.

Dunce.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by jason123: 12:57am On Apr 20, 2011
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Pataki: 12:58am On Apr 20, 2011
Beaf:

Yes o! The man in coma! grin
I hope you remember this was the same man your President Jonathan acclaimed he spoke with, while he was in coma.

You sometimes need to learn how to stop airing your rancid ignorance in public.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 1:06am On Apr 20, 2011
Pataki:

I hope you remember this was the same man your President Jonathan acclaimed he spoke with, while he was in coma.

You sometimes need to learn how to stop airing your rancid ignorance in public.

So what if GEJ claimed to have spoken with him? Dude, stop ranting OP.
GEJ spoke in the national interest, in whose interest did BBC make the fake phone call?

Lord! Its raining dunces today! embarassed
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Ystranger: 1:10am On Apr 20, 2011
OMG!

This thread is so hilarious.

Ekt_Bear took Beaf to school, free of charge, without making noise about it. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Beaf don fall my Nyansh grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 1:15am On Apr 20, 2011
^
It will be more hilarious when smarter people wonder at your abysmal comprehension. lol
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 1:40am On Apr 20, 2011
Beaf. I'm about to head to dinner right now. We shall continue this when I return. . . about 2 hrs time. It will be a lot of fun.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Pataki: 1:42am On Apr 20, 2011
Beaf:

So what if GEJ claimed to have spoken with him? Dude, stop ranting OP.
GEJ spoke in the national interest, in whose interest did BBC make the fake phone call?

Lord! Its raining dunces today! embarassed
''Still begging the question''? Olodo oshi. grin

National interest indeed. Keep drumming out lame excuses.

My point is this (since you are too thick to understand at first comprehension): In as much as you want to vilify and malign the BBC, your Goodluck is equally responsible for the same thing!

And if you are now calling the interest of BBC to question; should I ask you, in whose interest did BBC write the report about Nigeria improving economically just before the election? Which, if I remember quite clearly, your Goodluck equally used it as a campaign advert on his facebook page.

You really do have a way of exhibiting fanciful daftness! embarassed
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 1:58am On Apr 20, 2011
[Quote author=ekt_bear]Beaf. I'm about to head to dinner right now. We shall continue this when I return. . . about 2 hrs time. It will be a lot of fun.[/quote]

Be my guest. I really love toying with fools and watching them dig themselves deeper into their own shyte. I accused you of begging the question when you posted the crap below:

[Quote author=ekt_bear]

Not really their fault that adding up the # of votes at the polling booths is not a valid way of saying who won a LGA or state (at least in naija tongue ) [/quote]

Your defense has been to post lists of all sorts of logical fallacies to tell me I didn't actually get the right logical fallacy you were guilty of. shocked
That reminds me of a joke I saw earlier today, you will find an unflattering similarity to your arguments here:

You are like the fool below:

A man was withdrawing money from d ATM.

The man behind him laffed out loud and said :"Ha! Ha! Haaa! walai u i be pool, me I don see am por ya fassword na pour stars(****).

1st man: nansense na u i be pool, na 1258 be my fassword, Lơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡l

grin grin grin grin grin
Thats you sir.

Dunce.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 2:06am On Apr 20, 2011
''Still begging the question''? Olodo oshi.

National interest indeed. Keep drumming out lame excuses.

My point is this (since you are too thick to understand at first comprehension): In as much as you want to vilify and malign the BBC, your Goodluck is equally responsible for the same thing!

And if you are now calling the interest of BBC to question; should I ask you, in whose interest did BBC write the report about Nigeria improving economically just before the election? Which, if I remember quite clearly, your Goodluck equally used it as a campaign advert on his facebook page.

You really do have a way of exhibiting fanciful daftness!

If you cannot understand the simple words I wrote, then. . .
Kneel down and repeat, "Pataki is inexpicably dim" 1000 times.

Fool.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:09am On Apr 20, 2011
I doubt the BBC was really responsible for the entire crisis, but if this story is true, then that was extremely irresponsible and unprofessional.

Then again, how do we know the people responsible for the slip up were not Hausa speaking British Nigerians with a pro-Buhari bias? It's a possibility.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Justcash(m): 2:13am On Apr 20, 2011
People are making cash, some people are here showing educational might. Little wonder why Wole Soyinka is in an old house in Ogun, speaking English, while a less educated Dangote is gaining grounds in the rich men's list.
At the end of the day, you all want to be rich. The person getting rich here is Seun (I doff my hat).
Education no dey make person to dey smart o. That is why with all the umbrellas, P. Jonathan is still influential. If you doubt me, ask Orji Uzor Kalu.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Justcash(m): 2:19am On Apr 20, 2011
@Topic; I don't think BBC did anything wrong. They did what other news agencies would have done if they had the opportunity. Did they call for a riot? They did not. They just wanted to be the first to spill out the news and gain some recognition. If it is about the hausa language that was used, well, they would have done same if they had an Ijaw language news.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Pataki: 2:29am On Apr 20, 2011
Beaf:

If you cannot understand the simple words I wrote, then. . .
Kneel down and repeat, "Pataki is inexpicably dim" 1000 times.

Fool.
Keep modifying this your post just because you want to impress Pataki.

Dunderhead. lipsrsealed

Interesting to note your utterly pathetic way of responding to post. Once it get beyond what you can defend with words, you lace your post with graphics and idiotic emoticons.

You truly need help with your personality disorder. embarassed

Lesson learnt for you tonight: Before you castigate others about lying, ask yourself, has your President Goodluck committed such offence? It is totally hypocritical, efficiently stewpeed and morally bankrupt of you to look for the speck in other people's eye, when there is a whole amazon forest in your Goodluck! shocked

Disgusting sod. embarassed
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 2:34am On Apr 20, 2011
^
See as pesin pikin don crase! grin
Dude, you are entertaining, why don't you clown for a living?

Hatred for GEJ and jealousy will kill you. grin grin grin
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by smooooooth: 2:35am On Apr 20, 2011
bbc didnt cos anything, the north would have still behaved like the animals they are, even without the news from bbc.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Un Holds Memorial Service For Victims Of Abuja Bombing / Northerners Start To Leave Niger Delta Following Militants Threat / Kidnapped Anambra Monarch 'igwe Robert Eze' Freed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.