Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,253 members, 7,950,355 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 12:31 PM

How BBC Caused Crisis In The North - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How BBC Caused Crisis In The North (1862 Views)

Cameroon 'kills 100 Boko Haram Fighters And Frees 900 Hostages' -bbc Africa / Fresh Crisis In Senate As APC Senators Vow To Stop Ekweremadu From Presiding / Crisis In PDP As Oyinlola Threatens Tukur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by aloyemeka2: 3:10am On Apr 20, 2011
Are Pataki and Beaf secret gay lovers going through mid life relationship crisis or what?.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf: 3:14am On Apr 20, 2011
^
Excuse me! That dude is is a rock breaking, mentally stunted baboon with zero social skills, always spoiling for a fight. What you call a real bushman.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 7:01am On Apr 20, 2011
@Beaf:

1) "Begging the question" is a logic error, not a sin. Not dishonesty. It is simply assuming what one must prove/argue is true. Here are two examples:

A) If I'm trying to convince you of X, I cannot assume X to be true in constructing my argument. It would be begging the question to say, "Assume X. Then X is true.", and have that as an argument for the truth of X.
B) Suppose that  it is true that X and Y logically imply Z. If the truth of statement X is also dependent on Z, then that would also be an example of begging the question. . . since for me to use X in my argument, I have to assume Z. So I'm implicitly assuming that the very thing I'm trying to prove true (Z) is true! Again, a logical error.

There are more examples and variants of this basic theme. But this in a nutshell is begging the question. Or at least, how I understand it.

2)  Now, let's look at what I wrote, which you claim is begging the question. We'll # each sentence, too:

1. Perhaps BBC had people on the ground at the polling booths who then phoned the #s back to the main office, then added up to figure out who won.
2. If that is what they did, who can blame them for announcing a winner?
3. In theory, doing that should tell you who won.
4. Not really their fault that adding up the # of votes at the polling booths is not a valid way of saying who won a LGA or state (at least in naija  tongue )

I guess you are interpreting the above to be an argument for the truth of statement #4. Thus, for you, statement #4 is my conclusion, what I am trying to prove/argue is true. By accusing me of "begging the question", you are claiming that somewhere in my argument, I've assumed that statement #4 is true in order to prove it.

Now, why exactly are you wrong? Why did I not beg the question? For the following reasons:
A) First of all, sentence #1, #2, and #3 are not being used as evidence for the truth of sentence #4. #1, #2, and #3, if true, do not imply #4.
B) I do not assume that #4 is true to ensure that any of #1, #2, or #3 are true. Sentence #1 is always true. . .  it is a conditional statement. Same for sentence #2. The truth of sentence #3 of independent of that of #4.
C) At a more fundamental level, none of what I wrote was a proof or argument for #4. I cannot be accused of begging the question if I'm not even arguing for #4.

So in a very technical, precise sense, I did not beg the question. Hopefully this should be enough to convince you or anyone else reading.

If anyone here is good at logic as well and you've caught a mistake made by me, please feel free to chime in. It has been a while since I've taken philosophy, so I could easily have made a minor error somewhere above.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Ystranger: 7:05am On Apr 20, 2011
Beaf,

How is school going? Say hi to Prof. Ekt_Bear for me, ok. Tell him to take it easy on ya grin

[size=18pt]ROFLMAO[/size]
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by ektbear: 7:08am On Apr 20, 2011
Justcash:

People are making cash, some people are here showing educational might. Little wonder why Wole Soyinka is in an old house in Ogun, speaking English, while a less educated Dangote is gaining grounds in the rich men's list.
At the end of the day, you all want to be rich. The person getting rich here is Seun (I doff my hat).
Education no dey make person to dey smart o. That is why with all the umbrellas, P. Jonathan is still influential. If you doubt me, ask Orji Uzor Kalu.

Cash is not the be-all, end-all of life. I know men much smarter than myself who will likely end up much poorer than me. I respect them greatly. . . and recognize that if they took their prodigous gifts outside of the world of science, they'd get rich very fast.

Similarly, there are men much wealthier than me, but much dumber. I don't have any disrespect for them, but neither do I admire them as much as the former type of guy.

Finally. . . have no fear. Within a bit of time, upon completing my studies, I'll be spending my energies/talents on accumulating wealth too  cool
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by vincent10(m): 7:35am On Apr 20, 2011
The movie is getting interesting******pass me d pop-corn*****
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by vincent10(m): 7:35am On Apr 20, 2011
The movie is getting interesting******pass me d pop-corn*****
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 20, 2011
Ystranger:

Beaf,

How is school going? Say hi to Prof. Ekt_Bear for me, ok. Tell I him to take it easy on ya grin

[size=18pt]ROFLMAO[/size]

LOL grin grin grin He is probably somewhere scratching his head.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by aloyemeka2: 11:52am On Apr 20, 2011
Beaf:

^
Excuse me! That dude is is a rock breaking, mentally stunted baboon with zero social skills, always spoiling for a fight. What you call a real bushman.

It doesn't mean you were not lovers.
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Beaf1: 12:57pm On Apr 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Beaf:

1) "Begging the question" is a logic error, not a sin. Not dishonesty. It is simply assuming what one must prove/argue is true. Here are two examples:

A) If I'm trying to convince you of X, I cannot assume X to be true in constructing my argument. It would be begging the question to say, "Assume X. Then X is true.", and have that as an argument for the truth of X.
B) Suppose that it is true that X and Y logically imply Z. If the truth of statement X is also dependent on Z, then that would also be an example of begging the question. . . since for me to use X in my argument, I have to assume Z. So I'm implicitly assuming that the very thing I'm trying to prove true (Z) is true! Again, a logical error.

There are more examples and variants of this basic theme. But this in a nutshell is begging the question. Or at least, how I understand it.

2) Now, let's look at what I wrote, which you claim is begging the question. We'll # each sentence, too:
I guess you are interpreting the above to be an argument for the truth of statement #4. Thus, for you, statement #4 is my conclusion, what I am trying to prove/argue is true. By accusing me of "begging the question", you are claiming that somewhere in my argument, I've assumed that statement #4 is true in order to prove it.

Now, why exactly are you wrong? Why did I not beg the question? For the following reasons:
A) First of all, sentence #1, #2, and #3 are not being used as evidence for the truth of sentence #4. #1, #2, and #3, if true, do not imply #4.
B) I do not assume that #4 is true to ensure that any of #1, #2, or #3 are true. Sentence #1 is always true. . . it is a conditional statement. Same for sentence #2. The truth of sentence #3 of independent of that of #4.
C) At a more fundamental level, none of what I wrote was a proof or argument for #4. I cannot be accused of begging the question if I'm not even arguing for #4.

So in a very technical, precise sense, I did not beg the question. Hopefully this should be enough to convince you or anyone else reading.

If anyone here is good at logic as well and you've caught a mistake made by me, please feel free to chime in. It has been a while since I've taken philosophy, so I could easily have made a minor error somewhere above.

Ok Sir,
All understood. It's break time Sir, can i go have some snacks because i am really hungry and i feel like 'peeing'

Ouch! am i in a wrong class?
cheesy cheesy
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by Chubhie: 7:30am On Apr 26, 2011
Re: How BBC Caused Crisis In The North by vladimiros: 7:35am On Apr 26, 2011
next up in news: how BBC caused my fart to stink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things That Would Happen If Nigeria Were To Truncate / First 2 Load MTN 1500 N Zain N1000 Recharge Card Code Here. / Culpability Of Biafran Leaders In The Death Of Millions Of Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.