Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,325 members, 7,881,210 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:24 PM

Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks (8185 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Northerners In NEPC Gang Up Against Segun Awolowo / See The Condition Of The 3 Battalion Nigerian Army Barracks In Effurun(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Beaf: 4:00am On Apr 20, 2011
[size=14pt]Polls Violence: Northerners in Onitsha Flee to Asaba, Army Barracks[/size]
By Charles Onyekamuo
20 Apr 2011

Nigerians of Northern extraction resident in Onitsha and Awka, Anambra State commercial and administrative cities Tuesday fled to Asaba, the neigbhouring Delta State capital for safety as rumours of reprisal attacks following the post presidential election riots in some northern cities of Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna in which people of eastern extraction resident in these cities were feared to have fallen victims.

A great many of them also took refuge at the 302 field artillery regiment in Onitsha.

The northerners most of who are engaged in menial jobs as security guards, shoe shinners, petty street provision shop owners deserted their business Tuesday and went into hiding for fear of retaliation attack by some equally unguided elements in the state.

THISDAY checks also showed that police men in the state also helped some of the notherners to escape to the artillery regiment barracks. The Onitsha central mosque at Bida street near Onitsha main market was as at Tuesday evening being protected by soldiers for fear of being torched by the mostly christains dominanted residents of Onitsha.

But even as the tension mounts, the police in Anambra State said they were ready to protect the lives and property of anybody doing genuine business in the state. The State's Police command spokesman, Emeka Chuwkuemeka who expressed the police readiness yesterday advised the people of the state to go about their businesses without fear or molestation.

In another breath however, the Movement for the Sovereign state of Biafra (MASSOB) Tuesday warned rioters in the nothern cities of Nigeria that if the killing of Ndigbo continues till the next 24 hours, they will rise to challenge the perpertrators of the evil act.

In a communique by the organisation yesterday after its emergency meeting in Okwe-Okigwe in Imo state said that they will not fold their hands and watch Ndigbo massacred in the north.

The Communique signed by the group's Director of Information, Comrade Uchenna Madu said it was condemning the riots in some northern cities over a presidential election adjudged to be free and fair, peaceful and credible by both local and international observers.

It added that the reckless killing of innocent people especially Ndigbo in the name of post presidential election violence is condemnable and unwarranted, even as it urged Ndigbo to remain calm wherever they are in Nigeria and await further instruction.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/polls-violence-northerners-in-onitsha-flee-to-asaba-army-barracks/89960/
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by EkoIle1: 4:13am On Apr 20, 2011
Wey the president den just elect sef, ohh, incompetent and missing in action as usual.

Oh well,
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Oba234: 4:38am On Apr 20, 2011
please, you guys need to keep your wahala in the southeast and the north. Abeg, don't bring it to the southwest.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by kettykin: 5:02am On Apr 20, 2011
a coward and his cowardice when will you people ever get liver as it was in 1966 you people never still develop liver 46 years after; are not south westerners being killed in the north .are you people immune to defending your selves
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Oba234: 5:09am On Apr 20, 2011
like I stated earlier, since you Igbos love to fight so much, grin please go on and fight just don't cross the delta border and likewise to the northerners, don't cross niger state border to Kwara.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Freewilly(f): 5:10am On Apr 20, 2011
I see the Army is already there to protect the mosque from being burned, where was the Army and police when churches and Igbo shops were destroyed in the North.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by ZnO: 5:12am On Apr 20, 2011
Igbo kwenu
In Lagos, instead of running, the Hausa kill the Yoruba in Yorubaland. That is the difference between Igbo and Yoruba
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Freewilly(f): 5:15am On Apr 20, 2011
I wonder where all the Hausa in Awka will run do ?
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by MaziUche0(m): 5:17am On Apr 20, 2011
MASSOB seems to be getting a little more militant. smiley

We learned that from our brothers in the Niger Delta.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Rhino5dm: 5:25am On Apr 20, 2011
^shut your dirty stinking mouth!
How dare you spesk of us like that?

Before settling all this mess, we are taking back alaba. No standing down, expect the fights from both angle. Punk

once and for all, the '65% of igbos of lagos' must come out and fight.

Your so called 'ikenga's pride' is been despoil by half fed, semi literate 'Aboki', And all you could muster is to abuse the most educated region? Una no get shame?

I tink say na una get 45% of Kano, fight the mallams nah.

What a shame!
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Onlytruth(m): 5:27am On Apr 20, 2011
I don't think MASSOB has a choice about that. Either arm up or become irrelevant.

Peaceful agitations don't earn you respect in Nigeria. The north does not believe in peaceful agitations.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by ZnO: 5:28am On Apr 20, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

^shut your dirty stinking mouth!
How dare you spesk of us like that?

Before settling all this mess, we are taking back alaba. No standing down, expect the fights from both angle. Punk

once and for all, the '65% of igbos of lagos' must come out and fight.

Your so called 'ikenga's pride' is been despoil by half fed, semi literate 'Aboki', And all you could muster is to abuse the most educated region? Una no get shame?

I tink say na una get 45% of Kano, fight the mallams nah.

What a shame!

Do not try what you cannot finish. Like the North do to you, we wil beat you even in your land.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Jakumo(m): 5:28am On Apr 20, 2011
Any reprisal killings or mayhem targetting northern Nigerians who reside in other parts of the federation would amount to a tragic mistake, as it would feed into the illusion of nationwide instability that perennial election LOSER Ayatollah Buhari is so desperately trying to foster, in furtherance of his desperate attempt to instigate a military coup aimed at toppling the man who won the last election by a gigantic margin - Johnathan Goodluck.

Non-Islamic southern Nigerians currently residing in the Muslim north would be well advised to divest and sell their businesses located in the future Republic of Sharialand, which lies north of the Niger and Benue rivers,  so as to relocate to the industrialized south, where they can rebuild their lives in peace and safety.  It is only a matter of time before those illiterate swarms emerge from mosques and spill into northern Nigerian streets yet again, with murder and anarchy on the agenda, all over one flimsy excuse or another.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by bashr4: 5:46am On Apr 20, 2011
Jakumo:

Any reprisal killings or mayhem targetting northern Nigerians who reside in other parts of the federation would amount to a tragic mistake, as it would feed into the illusion of nationwide instability that perennial election LOSER Ayatollah Buhari is so desperately trying to foster, in furtherance of his desperate attempt to instigate a military coup aimed at toppling the man who won the last election by a gigantic margin - Johnathan Goodluck.

Non-Islamic southern Nigerians currently residing in the Muslim north would be well advised to divest and sell their businesses located in the future Republic of Sharialand, which lies north of the Niger and Benue rivers,  so as to relocate to the industrialized south, where they can rebuild their lives in peace and safety.  It is only a matter of time before those illiterate swarms emerge from mosques and spill into northern Nigerian streets yet again, with murder and anarchy on the agenda, all over one flimsy excuse or another.

any military coup will be the end of nigeria buhari wont dare go there trust me.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Abagworo(m): 7:42am On Apr 20, 2011
I don't think the riots in the North has ethnic or religious undertone otherwise the Emir of Zaria would not have his house razed.It is more like attack on PDP interest.

However PDP in their usual way is trying to tribalise the situation.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by yarodin: 7:55am On Apr 20, 2011
Abagworo:

I don't think the riots in the North has ethnic or religious undertone otherwise the Emir of Zaria would not have his house razed.It is more like attack on PDP interest.

However PDP in their usual way is trying to tribalise the situation.

oh really?  Ok go ahead and go to Kano, Sokoto, Kaduna etc and tell them you are Igbo but you voted for Buhari and let us see what happens.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Dave6: 8:06am On Apr 20, 2011
Quote from Abagworo
I don't think the riots in the North has ethnic or religious  undertone otherwise the Emir of Zaria would not have his  house razed.It is more like attack on PDP interest.

However PDP in their usual way is trying to tribalise the  situation.

So all the slain Corpers, burnt Churches, burnt businesses and maimed citizens are PDP's interest?
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Abagworo(m): 8:42am On Apr 20, 2011
Dav.e:

Quote from Abagworo
So all the slain Corpers, burnt Churches, burnt businesses and maimed citizens are PDP's interest?

It is always good to look at issues from the real angle.Nothern PDP members were targeted in their towns and if you are Igbo and PDP,it does not change anything.Most of the big houses burnt belong to the Northern elite.

If in Akwaibom for example,Akpabio is declared winner and the Ibibio people know that they voted almost entirely for ACN while the results showed that Akpabio's figure was inflated.What do you think will happen?Are you saying that only Ibibio PDP members should be dealt with.

I used this as an example because I smell it happening next week.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Odunnu: 8:43am On Apr 20, 2011
Nobody is safe in the north even the owners of the land.
The two corpers whose pictures are already floating in here are not even frm the SE. Its evil thinking the way u do fstranger. Stop it, please!
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by gidson12(m): 8:56am On Apr 20, 2011
what a world we live in
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Ekpoma1: 9:00am On Apr 20, 2011
Is not good to pay evil with evil. To all Igbos, pls let God be the judge.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by grafikdon: 9:05am On Apr 20, 2011
Reprisal attacks should be prevented and those who decide to take the law into their hands should be ruthlessly dealt with. The northerners down South are innocent citizens who have nothing to do with the Northern chaos and mayhem. Harming them in anyway makes you even a bigger coward and repulsive cold blooded killer. An example has to be set and this will involve the trial and execution/imprisonment of the people behind the unnecessary wastage of human lives over the most flimsy excuses.

Do this a couple of times and both the ''masterminds'' and delirious attack dogs will get the memo, loud and clear. Even the prospects of sexual or-*g.y with 72 virgins will not be enough motivation to attempt such a brazen display of buffoonery.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Abagworo(m): 9:20am On Apr 20, 2011
Nnaa meen Suya sellers for Port-Harcourt don hear whiii!!
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by nedu666: 9:45am On Apr 20, 2011
FOOLS, UTTER MOPHEADS, COMPOUND FOOLS, u sit at ur copmputers gloating over tragedy of other nigerians, arguing yoruba this, igbo that, wait until tragedy comes to your doorstep then we will see ur response fools.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by nedu666: 9:49am On Apr 20, 2011
i guess u have never been up north, u think igbos are the only casualty, yorubas and all nothern christains are involved. so ontinue gloating blane idiot
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by nusdog: 10:15am On Apr 20, 2011
Abagworo:

It is always good to look at issues from the real angle.Nothern PDP members were targeted in their towns and if you are Igbo and PDP,it does not change anything.Most of the big houses burnt belong to the Northern elite.

If in Akwaibom for example,Akpabio is declared winner and the Ibibio people know that they voted almost entirely for ACN while the results showed that Akpabio's figure was inflated.What do you think will happen?Are you saying that only Ibibio PDP members should be dealt with.

I used this as an example because I smell it happening next week.

ACN is the southern recipe for political violence.

Anywhere this party goes, it carries along with it thuggery and anarchy. This is the more reason why it must be kicked out from all parts of Nigeria back to the SW where it comes from.

P.S

Paul Ikonne is a fine man, but he will lose woefully in Abia because of his attachment with ACN. It's an unforgivable sin.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by T9ksy(m): 10:18am On Apr 20, 2011
grafikdon:

Reprisal attacks should be prevented and those who decide to take the law into their hands should be ruthlessly dealt with. The northerners down South are innocent citizens who have nothing to do with the Northern chaos and mayhem. Harming them in anyway makes you even a bigger coward and repulsive cold blooded killer. An example has to be set and this will involve the trial and execution/imprisonment of the people behind the unnecessary wastage of human lives over the most flimsy excuses. Do this a couple of times and both the ''masterminds'' and delirious attack dogs will get the memo, loud and clear. Even the prospects of sexual or-*g.y with 72 virgins will not be enough motivation to attempt such a brazen display of buffoonery.

And who is going to set this example? Jonathan? what has he done about all the killings that had occurred during his tenure? Has anyone been prosecuted for the Oct 1st bombing? What about the Jos killings? Has anyone being brought to justice for this atrocitity?

Of course, the northerners down south are innocent citizens but what of the southerners up north? Are they not innocents too? or you saying they are not, prolly 'cause they voted for Jonathan and as such deserve to die?

Am sure, those elites responsible for all these killings are well known to the authorities. Unfortunately, jonathan hasn't got the bal.ls to imprison let alone execute them else the whole nation will go up in flames. Of course, jona doesn't want this under his watch. He just want to chop and clean mouth like those before him did.

Had it been the other way round with Buhari winning the election and rioters in the south behaving like we have just seen our northern brothers(?) behaved. Am sure, Ayatollah buhari will have no qualms setting the army on the streets with orders to shoot on sight. The alayes involved would have all been rounded up and sent to jail for between 100-200years.

Hell, this dumb contraption should be dismantled A.S.A.P. Anything else is just perambulation!!
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 20, 2011
nedu666:

i guess u have never been up north, u think igbos are the only casualty, yorubas and all nothern christains are involved. so ontinue gloating blane

Ibo always record the highest casualty due to historical record of the 1960s.Hausas are still angry about the death of tafa.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by Sagamite(m): 10:34am On Apr 20, 2011
jmaine:

You confidently wrote this and you felt so accomplished and cool . .if literate minds could reason like this . .then there is a real problem . .

Don't mind the cretin!

He claimed he was studying Medicine at Princeton. The only thing the foool forgot is that Princeton does not offer Medicine.

That is how dumb he is in even cooking up an anonymous lie.

Ystranger:

Who told you I am literate?

Anyhoo, I have spoken my mind, and I go still speak more.

a ki n b'omode s'ere ale o, suyaaaaaaa, suyayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa grin

So you finally realised that a Hoodrat Community College education does not make you literate.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by grafikdon: 11:39am On Apr 20, 2011
@ T9ksy

Like you, I have been asking the same questions for years with no answers in the horizon. The Southerners getting maimed in the North are innocent citizens who have every right to pitch their tent wherever they deem fit in their own country, that is why I am calling for drastic measures. Like you noted, the trouble makers are not some mysterious extraterrestrial creatures who fall from the sky only to vanish after the mayhem, they are well known and the sooner they are apprehended and decimated, the better. Cut off the head of the snake and get it over with. From where I stand, this is not a very complicated approach, unless there are some underlying factors that I am not aware of.

Here's hoping that Jonathan will show some balls of steel and send a strong message; "Resolve your grievances through the proper channels, otherwise you will be be decimated with the most devastating brutality".

This message will sink like an anchor once a couple of examples have been set. Think the trouble makers are fearless? Nope! This is Nigeria and most are not suicidal. Remember the Nigerian that was sent to blow up a plane? So what happened when it was time for action? Did he not sh*it his pants and soil his underwear? Once an example is set, everyone will get the message. This is the most effective approach IMHO.
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by namfav(m): 11:45am On Apr 20, 2011
i'll punch the first ibo i come across if these reprisal attacks happen in onitsha, so far i haven't gotten any news
Re: Polls Violence: Northerners In Onitsha Flee To Asaba, Army Barracks by jmaine: 12:44pm On Apr 20, 2011
namfav:

i'll punch the first ibo i come across if these reprisal attacks happen in onitsha, so far i haven't gotten any news

You have never hidden the fact that the play script of the rioting almajiri junks gives you orrgasmic pleasures . . . . you literally fantasize about the innocent being hacked down unduly by your useless kind . . .if there is any retaliatory threat not to be taken lightly . .it is the Ibo folks . . .their assertive retaliatory responses seem to do the magic to stem stvpidity in the north . . . Kndly take matters serious and stop playing silly with peoples life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

African-americans Now Want To Be Called Blacks / NIS Arrests 400 Illegal Immigrants, Set To Repatriate 150 Nigeriens In Kano / Chief Dr. Willie Obiano Manifesto and History Impeccable!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.