Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,869 members, 7,889,907 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 12:45 AM

Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 (3237 Views)

Dino Malaye Writes About Obama In A Church / The Gift Jonathan Gave Obama In 2014 / PMB Seats Gallantly Besides Obama In The G7 Summit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by irohadis: 1:33am On Apr 24, 2011
GEJ's numbers in the SS and SE are completely plausible and I see a reflection of his support in the support that black voters gave to Obama in 2008. See: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15297.html

The SS and SE are highly homogeneous demographically. Unlike in the North and SW cities where you have substantial non-indigenous populations, you will not find strong populations of people from the SW and North in Enugu, Owerri, Aba, Onitsha, Awka, Abakiliki etc. This means that where solidarity for any candidate is based on ethnic, regional or religious affiliations, overwhelming support is realisable. GEJ is a beneficiary of this dynamic.

Buhari had no chance of overcoming GEJ's support in the SS and SE for so many reasons which I don't have the time to get into here. The best he could have done was to puncture SOME of that support by appealing to liberal voters in the area. But, he did not campaign or vigorously mobilise in the area. Ribadu had more of a chance at doing this through his appeal to the youthful electorate but they were too busy destroying that appeal with the failed alliance with Buhari.

So if Buhari and co doubt the results, let them go to court and scrutinise the ballots. I bet you there will be nothing significant enough to nullify the existing results.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by bkbabe97y(m): 1:44am On Apr 24, 2011
Could you please keep us out of yalls Ibo criminality?

Thanx in advance

Sincerely, BKBabe (Thug Emperor)
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by irohadis: 1:57am On Apr 24, 2011
@BKbabe

This is your signature
Been fighting ignorance since '84. . . its taking longer than I thought

Unfortunately what you have forgotten to fight is your own ignorance. Contribute to the debate, please; and keep your bigotry in your house.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by bkbabe97y(m): 2:49am On Apr 24, 2011
Sure! Just keep us out ur Ibo bullshiyyt!

Fucxking criminals!
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 2:50am On Apr 24, 2011
What was the turnout rate amongst black voters

Please also post a table of turnout rate by state/race
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by aletheia(m): 3:06am On Apr 24, 2011
^You know asking for the turnout rate among Black voters on a state by state basis is meaningless, because the distribution of Blacks varies markedly from state to state with some states having high concentrations of Blacks and others negligible.
In any case:
Pew Research Center: Their voter turnout rate increased 4.9 percentage points, from 60.3% in 2004 to 65.2% in 2008

Nearly all (95%) black voters cast their ballot for Democrat Barack Obama.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:08am On Apr 24, 2011
Turnout as in, "What fraction of eligible black voters in state X came out."

Not black % of voting pop in each state versus white %

Can you provide a link to that Pew survey?
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:09am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:11am On Apr 24, 2011

Not much difference in white and black voter turnout rates. Even Asians and Hispanics, voter turnout isn't 1/2 or 1/3 of that of whites and blacks.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:13am On Apr 24, 2011
People need to understand that voter turnout is high in some countries as well.

I think already posted statistics of how Turkey had the highest voter turnout in one year with about 95%!

1 Italy 92.5
2 Cambodia 90.5
3 Seychelles 96.1
4 Iceland 89.5
5 Indonesia 88.3
6 New Zealand 86.2
7 Uzbekistan 86.2
8 Albania 85.3
9 Austria 85.1
10 Belgium * 84.9
11 Czech Republic 84.8
12 Netherlands 84.8
13 Australia 84.4
14 Denmark 83.6
15 Sweden 83.3
16 Mauritius 82.8
17 Portugal 82.4
18 Mongolia 82.3

As you all can see, many countries have high voter turnout.

That is why it is entirely plausible that the SE/SS had high voter turnout, because no one wanted Buhari or Ribadu. Blame the opposition for not fielding quality candidates.

http://www.idea.int/vt/survey/voter_turnout_pop2-2.cfm
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:15am On Apr 24, 2011
^-- Many of those, there appear to be penalties for not voting?

See this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2005/jul/04/voterapathy.uk
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:16am On Apr 24, 2011
Here is a list of voter turnout by state in the US:

http://elections.gmu.edu/Turnout_2008G.html

The variance looks much smaller than that of Nigeria. I'm eyeballing it though, not calculating.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:17am On Apr 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Many of those, there appear to be penalties for not voting?

See this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2005/jul/04/voterapathy.uk

Some of the countries mentioned do have penalties for not voting, while other countries have a strong civic pride. The U.S. does not have strong civic pride when it comes to elections.

Either way, the elections were not rigged in the SS/SE. Buhari was not going to get any vote in the East, so who do you expect the Ndigbo and other Eastern minorities to vote for? Ribadu? I dey laugh o!
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by Rhino5dm: 3:21am On Apr 24, 2011
I was in Bayelsa during that election. All the youths were busy playing football on the major street.

No such thing as election that took place except for few polling centers. My heart bleed to see eediots trying to justify that sham for their ethnic or religous sentiment.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:21am On Apr 24, 2011

1. Either way, the elections were not rigged in the SS/SE.
2. Buhari was not going to get any vote in the East, so who do you expect the Ndigbo and other Eastern minorities to vote for? Ribadu? I dey laugh o!

I don't see how your second sentence implies the first one.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:31am On Apr 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't see how your second sentence implies the first one.

What are you reasons for saying that the election was rigged in the SE/SS, when the people of the SE/SS do not think it was rigged?

There has been no allegation of rigging from people who participated in the electoral process in the SE/SS. All the allegations are coming from people outside the region.

How do you explain that?
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:33am On Apr 24, 2011
How would your typical voter on the ground know that is was not rigged?

How would they know?

Why are they able to say definitively that it was NOT rigged?
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by aletheia(m): 3:35am On Apr 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

Turnout as in, "What fraction of eligible black voters in state X came out."
^
Like I said: it's meaningless asking for a state by state statistic on the fraction of eligible black voters that turned out. The Pew center report does not report that neither does the link from GMU. However the Pew center report does state that:
Their voter turnout rate increased 4.9 percentage points, from 60.3% in 2004 to 65.2% in 2008
alluding to the Black vote.
Looking at the GMU link; does the voter turnout in Minnesota render it suspect, seeing as it fully 12 percentage points above the national average?

Rhino.5dm:

All the youths were busy playing football on the major street.
^This is a rather weak argument. I am sure you realize the youths were below the voting age of 18 years which is why they were not in the polling stations. Unless of course you assume that like Bauchi state; children vote in the south. I am sure you can do better than this.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:40am On Apr 24, 2011
aletheia:

^
Like I said: it's meaningless asking for a state by state statistic on the fraction of eligible black voters that turned out. The Pew center report does not report that neither does the link from GMU. However the Pew center report does state that: alluding to the Black vote.
Err, you can compute/estimate this fraction for the nation as a whole. So obviously can do it for each state. Now, perhaps the statistic doesn't have value; maybe that is what you are saying.

Looking at the GMU link; does the voter turnout in Minnesota render it suspect, seeing as it fully 12 percentage points above the national average?
The 12 points, I'm not sure that is the issue. When looking for outliers, one way is to do mean/variance stuff, look for things several SDs away from the mean. I've not compute the mean and SD, so don't know. I'd also want to look at a lot more data probably. . .  maybe rather than voter turnout by state, voter turnout by county.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:41am On Apr 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

How would your typical voter on the ground know that is was not rigged?

How would they know?

Why are they able to say definitively that it was NOT rigged?

Do you doubt the massive turnout in the East?

Why wouldn't there be massive turnout for Jonathan? The first time someone from the Old Eastern Region was running from president.

There is something I do not understand about you people who continue to cry out rigging in the East. Even Ebonyi state proves that there was no rigging even though the state is PDP dominated.

Sorry but most international observers, they believe it was one of the freest and fairest elections.

Buhari was not going to win if he did not receive a larger amount of the vote from 2 out of the Big 3 as in Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:44am On Apr 24, 2011
Yes, I doubt the turnout. I doubt that Imo had nearly 3X the turnout of the SW, that roughly 84% of all eligible voters came out.

I wonder why no media reporters commented on the deluge of voters on the Imo streets. Instead, they and other public officials complained of low turnout. So either the people on the ground who reported "low turnout" are m.orons. . . or somehow the actual # of votes got inflated dramatically.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:44am On Apr 24, 2011
There is more evidence of rigging up North where children were allowed to vote.

Why is no one complaining about that?

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzCgaSPM0Jg-tAVKOimF_vIfr_DFVxCd57hbBpCommSp9AHBoo&t=1[/img]

There is photographic evidence as well. And a young Corper who died last message was how CPC supporters forced young voters on him.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:46am On Apr 24, 2011
Why are you babbling about the north? This thread is focused on the SS and SE, yes? Look, I believe that BOTH sides (North and SS/SE) benefited from fake votes.

That the SS/SE benefited doesn't mean the North didn't too. I want both riggers tracked down and exposed so it won't be used against me in 4 years time when my guy runs for office.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:46am On Apr 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

Yes, I doubt the turnout. I doubt that Imo had nearly 3X the turnout of the SW.

I wonder why no media reporters commented on the deluge of voters on the Imo streets. Instead, they and other public officials complained of low turnout. So either the people on the ground who reported "low turnout" are m.orons. . . or somehow the actual # of votes got inflated dramatically.

You can be a doubting Thomas all you want. The fact remains the East was more excited about the election than the SW.

That is faulty methods you are using. Just because the SW did not have a high turnout means the SE/SS is not suppose to have high turnout?

That is some really FAULTING REASONING. I expect better from you.

Ekt_bear, do you understand what FAULTY REASONING means?
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:47am On Apr 24, 2011
^-- Why did the people on the ground in Imo say "low voter turnout"? Why did the media report that? Then we find out much later in fact roughly 84% of all possible voters came out?
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:49am On Apr 24, 2011
Sorry but I am going to go with the international observers who stated this election was credible. Plus, it was free and fair.

You would not know, because you were not on the ground.

Thank God the rest of the world understood that this was the freest election in Nigeria history!

Even the opposition gained some ground.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:51am On Apr 24, 2011
Nigeria elections credible and creditable - COG

Tuesday, 19 April 2011, 9:38 am
Press Release: Commonwealth Observer Group
Nigeria elections credible and creditable - Commonwealth Observers

The April 2011 National Assembly and Presidential elections in Nigeria have 'discarded the notion that the country can only hold flawed elections' Commonwealth Observers in the country have said.

Speaking at a media briefing in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, while giving the interim findings of the team on 18 April 2011, the chair of the Commonwealth Observer Group, former Botswana President Festus Mogae said:

"The April 2011 elections marked a genuine celebration of democracy in Africa’s most populous country and a key member of the Commonwealth.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO1104/S00460/nigeria-elections-credible-and-creditable-cog.htm
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by ektbear: 3:51am On Apr 24, 2011
^-- And you accused me of faulty reasoning  undecided

Anyway, whatevs
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:52am On Apr 24, 2011
Nigerian Election Success Could Polish Country's Reputation

[img]http://media.voanews.com/images/480*319/APNigeriaElectionsCommission21Apr2011.jpg[/img]

Nigeria may be able to polish its reputation and assume a wider role on the global stage if its upcoming gubernatorial polls are as seemingly free and fair as last week's presidential election, analysts say.

This oil-exporting country of 154 million people has long enjoyed the money and manpower to dominate its continent, and some analysts expect it to top South Africa as the most economically and politically powerful country in Africa by 2030.

Yet throughout decades of unruly and often corrupt rule, the main obstacle between Nigeria and its potential for global stewardship has been its poor international reputation for vote rigging, for corruption, and for its government's lukewarm commitment to democracy.

The country should be a member of the influential G20 (Group of 20 nations) U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told Nigerians during a 2009 visit. But the country's reputation for corruption, she said, is a problem.

Analysts say, however, that Nigeria's reputation for corrupt, un-democratic, and inhumane rule may be on the mend following its most free and fair elections in recent memory.

The April 16 presidential poll, won by President Goodluck Jonathan, was widely hailed as reasonably fair by international observers like the Commonwealth of former British colonies and the African Union. The outcome set off riots in the country's north, and Jonathan's opponent, Muhammadu Buhari, has said he will contest the results in court. But the vote was nonetheless seen as a vast improvement over the previous election, five years ago, that was roundly criticized as chaotic and rigged.

The country will vote again to elect state governors on April 26, and Jonathan has asked Nigerians to conduct themselves peacefully throughout the poll, lest they mar the goodwill the country earned by holding a free and fair presidential election. In his victory speech, Jonathan said the internationally-acclaimed vote has allowed Nigeria to take its rightful place in the community of nations.

"We have reiterated our faith in democracy which underscores our determination to join the free world where only the will of the people is the foundation of governance," said Jonathan. "We will not let you down."

African analyst for the London-based watchgroup Chatham House Drew Vines says the country's first seemingly legitimate election in recent history will only bolster the West African powerhouse's growing influence in Africa and abroad.

"I think this is a really important moment for West Africa, and highly significant for Nigeria," said Vines. "This is the best election in memory for Nigeria, and hopefully will provide a sound basis for Nigeria to reassert itself as one of the major countries of Africa."

In many respects, he said, Nigeria is already taking a more strident position in international affairs.

Jonathan, Vines says, has been unusually outspoken in favor of military reforms for the tiny, drug cartel-troubled state of Guinea-Bissau.

He also inserted himself into the center of last month's Ivory Coast conflict. Nigeria co-sponsored a United Nations resolution for a military intervention to remove the country's incumbent president, Laurent Gbagbo, when he refused to concede a November 28 election.

In contrast, Africa's wealthiest and most influential nation, South Africa, offered Gbagbo a power-sharing agreement that Ivorian and Nigerian leaders harshly criticized.

That geopolitical clash between South Africa and Nigeria, Vines says, may be the first in a long tilt of power on the continent.

"Many people have missed the long term, forward modeling of where the world will be in 2030," added Vines. "Nigeria could be a top 20 global economy - the only one in Africa, not South Africa. That's the potential for Nigeria if it gets its internal politics right."

However widely accepted its latest election, Nigeria still faces immense human rights crises that will compromise its ability to speak with authority on the world stage, according to Human Rights Watch researcher Eric Guttschuss.

Guttschuss says the country has yet to fully address brutality in its security forces, and corruption in its treasury.

"We have seen a significant improvement in these last polls, but [chief among] the steps going forward is to address these very deep seated issues of corruption, of political violence, of impunity for all classes, of human rights violations as well as abuses by the police and other security forces," noted Guttschuss.

If that can be accomplished, analysts say, Nigeria has a future as not only an African leader, but a world leader.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/west/Nigerias-Latest-Election-Signals-Possible-Turnaround-120351419.html
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by bkbabe97y(m): 3:56am On Apr 24, 2011
If God apprehended the Ibo man while he (Ibo man) was pilfering candy from the Corner Store, theres no doubt in my mind that the Ibo man will tell every lie conceivable to humanity in order to justify his crime!

Fuxcking Beasts!
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by EzeUche3(m): 3:59am On Apr 24, 2011
^^^

You must enjoy demonizing the Ndigbo.

We are not the enemy. Do you see us killing people in the name of religion, or because they are from a different ethnicity?

Thank God, I am Christian, I have to forgive you.
Re: Ss/se Vote: 96 Percent Of Black Voters Supported Obama In 2008 by aletheia(m): 3:59am On Apr 24, 2011
ekt_bear:

Now, perhaps the statistic doesn't have value; maybe that is what you are saying.
^That is what I am saying because: Blacks are not equally distributed though out the 50 states, for example ranging from 0.4% in Maine to 65.8% in DC. Obviously we would expect higher Black voter turnout in the areas with higher concentrations of Blacks due to a "mass" effect. I believe a similar factor was at play in the SE: Consider this eye-witness account:
o9999:

i went to vote and yes there were party agents present (PDP, ACN and CPC mainly),
Even old iliterate men and women came out,
the turn out was shocking (most people went out of thier way and treckked far distances when they had to come and vote) and yes I SAW,  dats y the voter turn out was ninety something percent, everyone was shocked.

But the shocking part was,

ALL the agents around were encouraging people to vote for Jonathan,
By this, i mean an old woman wanted to vote for APGA and was looking for "okuko" when d ACN party representative corrected and said and i quote "NO MA, IT IS UMBRELLA FOR TODAY".
The woman said no, dat she does not want the current governor again so does not want umbrella, and the agent went ahead to explain to her dat noo, this one is not governor but president so she shld put umbrella.

Is this wrong, ans = YES, but if u call it rigging, then say this,
In the SE and SS, not a party, but the PEOPLE rigged (here irrespective of the party they belonged to, including CPC encouraged ALL to vote for PDP)

and note too. this waas done for THE PERSON (JONATHAN) noy the party (PDP)
Now whose fault is that?
This indicates there was a community-wide consensus in favor of Jonathan in the SE (even included the CPC agents) similar to what obtained among the Black community for Obama. You have to understand the mentality of the oppressed, which is what is at play here.

ekt_bear:

The 12 points, I'm not sure that is the issue. When looking for outliers, one way is to do mean/variance stuff, look for things several SDs away from the mean. I've not compute the mean and SD, so don't know. I'd also want to look at a lot more data probably. . .  maybe rather than voter turnout by state, voter turnout by county.
I await the results of your investigation. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria's Military Power Vs Kenya / Tara Agro's 42000 Tonnes Rice Processing Mill Enugu To Be Completed In Jan 2014 / Automatic Ticket For Buhari Causes Stir In APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.