Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,547 members, 7,888,764 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 02:40 PM

5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business (23717 Views)

Experience Working For A One Man Business / My Experience Working For A One Man Business / 3 Life Lessons I Learned From A Shoe Cobbler - Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by shanktang(m): 5:24pm On May 18, 2021
dontro:
Sounds like slavery grin
It is actually.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by zheeko: 5:24pm On May 18, 2021

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by SodO9: 5:25pm On May 18, 2021
One man business is the most useless among jobs

10 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by heniford2: 5:26pm On May 18, 2021
Dika so true on point
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by bet9ja(m): 5:28pm On May 18, 2021
Very true,

Another point you forgot to add is that, you may easily become a successful entrepreneur because you will be exposed to the process and work flows, hence starting your own business will be encouraging with less fear.

8 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Modupeoluwa123(f): 5:28pm On May 18, 2021
So so true!!!!
I can’t agree less
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by ojesymsym: 5:31pm On May 18, 2021
Gastoolsoluwa20:
Geh
How does one employ guys like you who work on nairaland and continuously post fliers like this that promote a product or service.
Also, what is the monthly salary range like?
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by drakeli: 5:32pm On May 18, 2021
Xoxoloo:
Omo me I no like eye service ooo. I love to keep it real
Keeping it real with a one man business boss is a recipe to getting you fired quickly. You can’t always keep it real with a one man business. Or else he will see you as a threat and fire your stubborn ass

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by donsharwama(m): 5:32pm On May 18, 2021
gasedi2731:
Nice
this guy is a SCAM OOO
his name is OLUDAIRO EZEKIEL OLUMAYOWA. HIS BROTHERS NAME IS OLUDAIRO DAVID
HE'S NOT A DATA RESELLER... HE IS A THIEF. I HAVE PROOF.
I'VE REPORTED HIM AND HIS BROTHER AND THEY ARE PRESENTLY HUNTING FOR THEM.

NAIRALANDERS BE GUIDED.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by hazyl4real(m): 5:34pm On May 18, 2021
Very very true
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by stanley000: 5:36pm On May 18, 2021
One business is worse than slavery. Infactu should know already self. Think about it u came and saw no one there just you, what happened to the previous guy cheesy. Like i did i left the fool when he least expected it. U can never impress a boss in such working place so your job search should continue infact whenever someone ask you "how's work" don't respond.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by beautyhd: 5:42pm On May 18, 2021
The eye service isn't correct.

I work in a place that most people do the eye service of a thing. One day, the owner said something that shocked the people around, he said I know those that do eye service and those that work without pretence whether he was around or not.

We were rewarded accordingly.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Skillsnigeria: 5:42pm On May 18, 2021
hmmm, Noted
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Mftivi: 5:43pm On May 18, 2021
FalseProphet1:
Op didn't stress very well on the eye service, in a one man business, it's very important to paint yourself like an angel of light before your boss, be at his office before he even calls you and ask him if there are any errands he will like you to run, build a very close relationship with him and you'll get promotions and salary raise you don't merit.

One man business is like a church setting, where you have the senior pastor and other junior pastors assisting him, most times, when it's time for promotion the senior pastor promotes the most loyal junior pastor and not the most qualified. This is how it is in one man business. This I have seen.
someone like me will see through you if your intent is genuine or not lol.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by coolsheyi(m): 5:45pm On May 18, 2021
Nothing can substitute experience. Op you really explained them in a simple language.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 18, 2021
Omo!

grin grin

You said it as it is.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Taiwojon(m): 5:49pm On May 18, 2021
All what you said are true!

But why be a man pleaser or a boss pleaser when you can be just ourselves and be honest with your boss.

God hate every hypocrite and eyes service ways.

Are you a Christian just on Sunday or for all days.
God hate hypocrite but love you as you are whether a sinner or someone outside the grace of God.

Because of God's love Jesus die for you.

Repent and believe the gospel

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by BBQZ: 5:49pm On May 18, 2021
binarymachine:

source:
https://flipmemes.com/2021/05/18/5-things-i-have-learned-from-working-in-a-one-man-business/

I can so relate to point no1. I don't do the eye service....my boss says I dey do like "whitee"
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Dapson73(m): 5:50pm On May 18, 2021
I experienced all the highlighted points. Kudos to the writer.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by ecomalchemist(m): 5:56pm On May 18, 2021

This does not change the fact that in Australia, there are 48 million kangaroos and in Uruguay, there are 3,457,380 inhabitants. So if the kangaroos decide to invade Uruguay, each Uruguayan will have to be battling with 14 kangaroos.

Holla for your Joway 40,000mah durable and efficient laptop and phone power bank !

Call or WhatsApp - 0.8.1.1.9.7.5.6.1.4.4.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by Halimat04(f): 5:59pm On May 18, 2021
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by DENNIXX(f): 6:06pm On May 18, 2021
Correct
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by donmik: 6:08pm On May 18, 2021
The eye service language is a failure and coward approach.
U cannot go far from there if that's all u think to it

Work for what u are being paid. If possible, do better.
Defend your value anytime.
Leave for promotion without contemplation if u know what is good for u.

Thanks anyway
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by ManuelZuka(m): 6:10pm On May 18, 2021
anything concerning salary just count me off, am better off with my shop and GOD is blessing me in abundance
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by BbqTormentor: 6:11pm On May 18, 2021
post=101821669:
Good thread, let us add more for the benefits of sane members here...

Advantages Of One-Man Business

The following are the advantages of the one-man business.

Personal interest of the owner enhances efficiency.
Decision taking is quick since the owner does not need to consult anybody.

He enjoys profits from the business alone.

The owner enjoys independence since he is his own boss.

There is personal contact with his employees, so employee's motivation is thus enhanced.

The sole proprietor can have more than one occupation.

Disadvantages of One-Man Business

There is limited capital for expansion purposes.

This is partly due to the inability of the owner to borrow money from banks.

The sole proprietor has unlimited liability as his personal assets can be sold in case of business failure.

The business is not a separate legal entity, therefore, it cannot sue or be sued.

Sole proprietor business lacks the certainty of continuity because the death of the owner or poor management can result in the death of the business.

The owner of a sole proprietorship has the disadvantages in the area of specialization because he is involved in too many activities.

His decision, in most cases, may not be effective because two good heads are better than one
this is inconsequential. We all did business studies in high school abeg. Stick to supporting buhari's government

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by eclectic90: 6:12pm On May 18, 2021
Also as you are doing tge eye service, make sure you are holding on to God or whatever you believe in strongly because you will step on toes and many will not take it lightly.
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by bdchange(m): 6:15pm On May 18, 2021
Chrizoby:
You hv seen and said it all. No one can be more accurate than you. That's why it's so difficult for us that don't do eyes service.
Very difficult to be precise. They will tell you, I dont like eye service but in truth they actually enjoy it. Another very important key point he mentioned is to know when to leave. I learnt this late but never again. This days if I dont see growth within 6 months to 1 year...Guy I go pick race..I don japa
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by sageb: 6:16pm On May 18, 2021
soundOsonic:
You forgot this important part
you will do job beyond the job description
In one man business, just be praying so they won't sack one person.
If one person gets sack, others will have to do the work of the sacked individual. He might not be replaced, increasing the workload of other innocent folks.
you might be promoted but you are less likely to get a raise
This one everybody salary is stagnant, and yes your supervisor salary might be slightly higher than yours.
you will be threatened everyday with getting sacked
Like the OP said, the emotional abuse will be too much, and the pent up negative frustration needs to be released somewhere, it is more Likely that individual brings the negative emotions to his/her home. OP no one I repeat no one can withstand emotional abuse, it needs to be channeled out.
working harder than the rest won't grant you favor
Never give 100% of your energy working one man business, people will get used to your performance, the day you will slack will be the day they will complain about you, while the other lazy staff won't get any complain because they are used to their working lifestyle.

so true
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by powerboy: 6:17pm On May 18, 2021
binarymachine:

source:
https://flipmemes.com/2021/05/18/5-things-i-have-learned-from-working-in-a-one-man-business/

you nailed every aspect of One Man Business. Infact you didn't miss anything. I couldn't bear it then I opted out
Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by halogate: 6:20pm On May 18, 2021
..the most important thing is the nature of the business owner. Some will take u as a family member..some will run u down like a slave!.
..but let me add a few from my experience.
1. Try and position urself to make it difficult to be dispensed with. Very advantageous.
2. Never display all ur skills/ability. Keep some to yaself.
3. Never show any fear being sacked. If not, those sadistic business owners go frustrate u.
4. Always maintain 60% humility and 40% pride. Before one mad business owner tell u to come him house con wash car.
..lemme stop here for now.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things I Have Learned From Working In A One Man Business by streetsoldier1(m): 6:38pm On May 18, 2021
airforce1pikin:
grin eye service is very important

i sack any of my workers caught in the act of eye service, i hate pretense.
Why should i care about my oga mood swings as long as i'm doing the right thing... walahi, i no get time for nonsense and i put it straight to my oga then when she goes wrong. When i left, she uses me as good example. The bottom line is know your worth, let no one rubbish you. Eye service is for feeble minds and low I.Q.
Be deligent and always improve yourself, dont stop acquiring skills

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Four Reasons Why Lawyers Are Like Condoms / If You Want To Be Successful Financially, Avoid These Things / Nigerian Policeman Laments Poor Working Conditions In Viral Video (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.