Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,902 members, 7,933,328 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 02:06 AM

Bugs Nomenclature :: E.g. Embezzlement Bug - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Bugs Nomenclature :: E.g. Embezzlement Bug (620 Views)

How To Create Site On Wapka E.g Www.snehsloaded.ga / How Does Free Web Services Make Income?? E.g Olx / Can One Make Money From Running An Online Forum(e.g. Nairaland.com) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bugs Nomenclature :: E.g. Embezzlement Bug by Nobody: 11:34am On May 05, 2011
Now, how do you name your bugs? A client called me sometime back and told me that
there is a big problem in an application i made for him, that the application is misappropriating
money and shortchanging all the customers on the website.
I very quickly said, hah! this is an embezzlement bug, i will fix it ASAP!!
I wanted to say that :: I was the one that embezzled the money (not the stoopid programme),
but i noticed that the client was very serious, so i acted seriously too.

But seriously, how do you explain when bugs happens to your clients? do you say it is from the
server? or from wrongly using the application or from the browser or internet or that - from faulty
programming like your end? (my embezzlement bug for instance), or that you were so busy that
you forgot to test the code? or you just fabricate one nonsense terminology to save your a**?
Re: Bugs Nomenclature :: E.g. Embezzlement Bug by yawatide(f): 12:49pm On May 05, 2011
Every web app, especially one as this, should be tested as thoroughly as possible. The client should be made to also test for all possibilities. This is why those who can afford it hire a separate staff for testing.

Having said the above, you don't try to sugar coat the bug. Just apologize and say you will look into it and promise, in so many words that it won't happen again and finally, offer something in return for the inconvenience. For example, if you are hosting the site, you might want to waive the current or next year's hosting renewal fee.

good luck!
Re: Bugs Nomenclature :: E.g. Embezzlement Bug by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 05, 2011
Actually, i later discovered that i commented out one line of the calculation code. . . .i wonder why!
Re: Bugs Nomenclature :: E.g. Embezzlement Bug by DualCore1: 6:42pm On May 05, 2011
I have been blessed with clients from Heaven so far. I have had only one fatal bug that multiplied member account balances by itself. The file for that particular calculation was set to run by 2am daily. Well the guy called me up by 3am and told me wassup. Now people with 500 Naira were have millions of Naira that they could issue withdrawal requests on.

Well some days back I commented a block of code during test/troubleshooting and didnt uncomment it after fixing.

I told the guy my mistake (in customer friendly terms) and fixed it. Being a mission critical site, I already set up a backup system that takes several db backups daily so i restored db with the closest backup which was just a couple of minute back.

Well, as a client from Heaven. . .  he requested for my bank details  grin
Re: Bugs Nomenclature :: E.g. Embezzlement Bug by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 05, 2011
That is very interesting. Some clients get quite mad when they see bugs and stuffs. . .

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For Web Designer & Graphic Editor / Let The Professional Do Your Website For You / Pls Help Me On Jooml: 'account Details For <user Name> At <site>' To Admin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.