Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,836 members, 7,966,089 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 09:03 AM

10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) - Food (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) (54044 Views)

What Is Your Favourite Nigerian Street Food? (pictures) / Eat Healthy! How I Prepare Delicious Nigerian Vegetable Salad, (photos,video) / Cameroon Street Foods Which Cameroonians Love The Most (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Ishilove: 11:36am On Jun 18, 2021
descarado:

Ùkwa is big man food. Unless your people have ùkwa tree, you gat to spend a lot to make this for your family.

One of my cousin's eat this meal every Wednesday.
A bottle is sold for 2,000. It really is expensive
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by FashionCookie(f): 11:38am On Jun 18, 2021
Liposure:
Interesting. Can't wait to try it soon. Thanks for the treat. Good mori
Fine morning, Charlie.
So you mean you've never tasted it?
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 11:42am On Jun 18, 2021
mariahAngel:

This your description got me craving for PH's authentic bole and fish...especially the marinating of the fish part

The version we have in Lagos is just... undecided

There are two bole sellers somewhere in lekki that are really good. One came from PH to set up that business with his mum. Bole is another thing I feel is overhyped, but that’s probably because I am not into plantain. I eat the fish with the sauce and I move. grin

descarado:

Òkpa is well loved in enugu state. Anambra prefer moimoi than òkpa. Its foreign to imo and abia. Also I prefer how anambra make òkpa than the enugu type. It's sweeter and really soft.

Thanks nnem. Never knew okpa is the litmus test for Igbohood. cheesy
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by angelfallz(m): 12:13pm On Jun 18, 2021
Wow I've not been to Abia and imo states, so are you saying they don't cook ọkpa in those states?
descarado:

Òkpa is well loved in enugu state. Anambra prefer moimoi than òkpa. Its foreign to imo and abia. Also I prefer how anambra make òkpa than the enugu type. It's sweeter and really soft.
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Frenzy01(m): 12:18pm On Jun 18, 2021
Dog meat nko grin

abeg jare, make una Patronize my small business pls. I sell and I buy any breed of dogs swiftly at a very reasonable price. I also offer Boarding and pet care services
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 12:49pm On Jun 18, 2021
pocohantas:

There are two bole sellers somewhere in lekki that are really good. One came from PH to set up that business with his mum. Bole is another thing I feel is overhyped, but that’s probably because I am not into plantain. I eat the fish with the sauce and I move. grin

True true sha, boli is just a just there street food/snack in Lagos...especially with groundnut. But since PH people (including my brothers wey school there) no gree us hear word about their famous bole and fish got me wondering whether there's more to it o.
I gats taste am one day o.
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by pocohantas(f): 1:03pm On Jun 18, 2021
mariahAngel:

True true sha, boli is just a just there street food/snack in Lagos...especially with groundnut. But since PH people (including my brothers wey school there) no gree us hear word about their famous bole and fish got me wondering whether there's more to it o.

Sometimes it is acquired taste. I like the yam chips and grilled turkey/chicken wings from Papa’s Grill, but my friend said it is just there. You can imagine how I felt. cheesy

By the way, I know it is easier said that done, Ignore that element following you upandan. A lot of them crave our attention so badly but because we give it to them on a platter, we don’t know this. grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Kondomatic(m): 1:11pm On Jun 18, 2021
mariahAngel:

There's more to it. Plenty sef grin

A "a complete" plate of PH boli every afternoon and I will be yours forever. If you like disrespect me anyhow. grin

First time I had a good taste of Boli was in Calabar, then I visited Bayelsa and its almost the same.

But then I was in PH and tasted theirs and............. Words can describe it.

It's like no other.

1 Like

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 1:15pm On Jun 18, 2021
pocohantas:

Sometimes it is acquired taste. I like the yam chips and grilled turkey/chicken wings from Papa’s Grill, but my friend said it is just there. You can imagine how I felt. cheesy

By the way, I know it is easier said that done, Ignore that element following you upandan. A lot of them crave our attention so badly but because we give it to them on a platter, we don’t know this. grin

OK.

Thanks dear. cheesy
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by mariahAngel(f): 1:18pm On Jun 18, 2021
Kondomatic:
There's more to it. Plenty sef grin

A "a complete" plate of PH boli every afternoon and I will be yours forever. If you like disrespect me anyhow. grin

First time I had a good taste of Boli was in Calabar, then I visited Bayelsa and its almost the same.

But then I was in PH and tasted theirs and............. Words can describe it.

It's like no other.

I must taste am be that na. grin
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Kondomatic(m): 1:23pm On Jun 18, 2021
mariahAngel:

Please do.

1 Like

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Kondomatic(m): 1:23pm On Jun 18, 2021
mariahAngel:

Please do.

1 Like

Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by bewla(m): 3:38pm On Jun 18, 2021
MejiLoyon:
Where is our catfish?
The list is incomplete
Boli no make this list roosted plantain
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Liposure: 5:49pm On Jun 18, 2021
FashionCookie:

Fine morning, Charlie.
So you mean you've never tasted it?
Of course i haven't. That was why i asked. I've had yam before but not the type laced with oil and fish. I've been salivating at your reply.
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by FashionCookie(f): 6:39pm On Jun 18, 2021
Liposure:
Of course i haven't. That was why i asked. I've had yam before but not the type laced with oil and fish. I've been salivating at your reply.
Okay...
I like eating yam...whether roasted o, fried o, boiled o...I just like yam. Grew up in the west, so started eating roasted yam quite
early and it's a common roadside thing there.
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Liposure: 9:25pm On Jun 18, 2021
FashionCookie:

Okay...
I like eating yam...whether roasted o, fried o, boiled o...I just like yam. Grew up in the west, so started eating roasted yam quite
early and it's a common roadside thing there.
alright. What part of the west did you grow up
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by FashionCookie(f): 9:37pm On Jun 18, 2021
Liposure:
alright. What part of the west did you grow up
Was born in Ibadan...my family later moved to Akure.
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Liposure: 12:23am On Jun 19, 2021
FashionCookie:
Was born in Ibadan...my family later moved to Akure.
I schooled in ibadan
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by FashionCookie(f): 3:28pm On Jun 19, 2021
[quote author=Liposure post=102864665]I schooled in ibadan[/quote

Wow...though my family left Ibadan when I was very little. Like 3yrs or there about old. Spent most of my years in Akure and Delta.
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Liposure: 5:50pm On Jun 19, 2021
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Ojukwubucket(m): 8:39pm On Jun 19, 2021
Ishilove:
Gosh I hate Abasha. Uber gross
Because say na Igbo food..
Igbo hater..go commit suicide..
Aturu grin
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Ishilove: 9:28pm On Jun 19, 2021
Ojukwubucket:

Because say na Igbo food..
Igbo hater..go commit suicide..
Aturu grin
You and your generations yet unborn are the aturu, not me. Anu ugboko
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by MummyGreat: 11:34am On Jun 21, 2021
EvenBlogger:
Nigeria is a country filled with the most exciting things. One of the most exciting thing about Nigeria is our street food. They are so delicious, easy to get, affordable and spontaneous. Here is a list of street foods that will blow your taste buds:

SUYA

Suya is a popular Nigerian barbecued meat, sold by the road side and junctions by Hausa men. Suya is sold only at night as it is said to be very delicious only at night. It is sold in different form either on a stick or diced into pieces. Suya is eaten with onions, tomatoes, and other suitable veggies and is known as the king of street food in Nigeria.

AKARA

Akara is a deep fried beans ball made with grounded beans mixed with pepper, onions and other spices. It is called “Kosai” in the northern part of Nigeria. Akara is sold with yagi ( suya pepper) or sauce and can also be eaten with fried yam or puff puff or pap.

ABACHA

Abacha is also know as “African salad” it is originally owned by the Igbo people. Abacha is made with dried shredded cassava and other ingredients. You’ll always see Abacha vendors on the streets or around some market angles. Abacha is best eaten with any cold drink of your choice.

ROASTED CORN

Roasted corn is sold in the afternoon or evening of the day. It can easily be found at junctions, bus tops or road sides. This street food is mostly sold with coconut, or any other thing of your choice and it is best eaten hot. AlThough, corn is a seasonal food in Nigeria but when it is out, it is most sought after.

WAINA/MASA

Masa is a street food which is mostly sold at junctions, bus tops or road sides by female food vendors. Masa is eaten either with yagi, sugar or waina soup with biscuit bone(kashi). Masa is made out of rice, salt, sugar. It is a northern Nigeria food.

ROASTED YAM WITH PALM OIL SAUCE

Roasted yam with palm oil sauce is another most sought after street food in Nigeria. It is very filling and delicious and can be eaten at anytime of the day. This particular food can mostly be found at street corners prepared by female food vendors.

BOILED GROUNDNUTS

Boiled groundnut is also a seasonal street food. Boiled groundnut serves for different purposes like while talking to your friends, walking on the road, working at your shops, etc. Some are boiled with salt, which makes them more tasty. This street food is mostly hawked around but it sellers.

PUFF PUFF

Puff puff is one of the most popular Nigeria street food. it’s always spongy, fluffy and delicious. It’s made with flour mixed with sugar and other ingredients. Puff puff is also known as the king of small chops and it mostly sold by those vendors who sell Akara.

PLANTAIN CHIPS

Plantain chips is a crunchy, spicy street snack, sold by hawkers on the streets. They are made either with ripe or unripe plantain or banana. These chips taste so delicious and they are best eaten with cold water or drinks.

DAMBU NAMA

Dambu nama is simply shredded cow meat spiced with pepper, salt an seasonings, sold mostly in the norther part of Nigerian. It is mostly packed in brown envelops and take away packs, Dambu nama is a delicious street snack.

Written By Illikannu Donald Chukwuma
hmm eating Benue Yams and oil at this time is one off the best this u can ever of it's affordable DM 07068444039
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by jessica127: 12:28pm On Jun 21, 2021
It would be a great combo when we try it with our favorite frozen drinks. I personally love margarita with some other street food or snacks. Recently, bought Margaritaville Bali Frozen Concoction Maker after reading a review on icemakinghub.com
Re: 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures) by Idoreyin101(m): 4:22pm On Jun 21, 2021
MejiLoyon:
Where is our catfish?
The list is incomplete
Yea. We still have good like. Cocoa yam chips, pákó, etc. And other unknown snacks from other tribes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Snake Killed And Cooked At Corpers' Lodge In Cross River State (Photos) / How To Prepare Homemade Ewa Agonyin (Pictures) / See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.