Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,992 members, 7,890,248 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:39 AM

15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound (19896 Views)

Another 15-year Child In Kaduna Kidnapped And Forced Conversion To Islam / Soyinkas Speech At Harvard. The Real Text / 5 Lagos-bound Passengers Kidnapped At Benin-Ore Sagamu Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by justwise(m): 9:22am On May 07, 2011
toluxa1:

but where in the article does it say she is Nigerian?

She is an American cos its positive news, if she was involved in drug or scam then her Nigerian origin will be the headline
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by efisher(m): 9:27am On May 07, 2011
Nice observation from toluxa, does anyone have concrete proof that she is Nigerian? I will be glad if she is but let's be sure we are not attending a wedding we were not invited for!
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Kilode1: 9:27am On May 07, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

I disagree. The Arabs didn't create Greek science, but they definitely improved upon it and appreciated it.

The Arabs are not ruling the world either.

And because Al-Farabi, Avicenna, Alhazen and co were able to preserve, use or even expand the theories of Ptolemy and Euclid does not mean the Arab world has that deep connection to the foundation of those philosophies.

I will concede that much of these are just wonderings of mine and of course many others who are interested in the question of why we lag behind. It is not hard science and several factors may be responsible apart from the ones I offered in my earlier post.

Read the excerpt below;

"In Islamic culture, 'philosophy' (in the sense of a continuation Greek philosophy) was somewhat suspect. It never gained a foothold in publically supported educational institutions, it was never well connected with any profession (in contrast with western Europe after the 12th century, where philosophy was the main subject in Arts faculties of the universities). The subject best established in medieval Islamic education was the study of the law (i.e. of the religious law). The extracts from Averroes in the Readings are from The Decisive Treatise Determining the Nature of the Connection between Religion and Philosophy, in which Averroes tries to show (with a readership of lawyers primarily in mind) that philosophy is a legitmate study for Muslims - indeed, that it is the highest form of religion. Like Alfarabi, and like Plato, Averroes envisages a state in which philosophers are the elite. The extracts are from the translation by G.F. Hourani in A. Hyman and J.J. Walsh, Philosophy in the Middle Ages (B721.P48), p. 287 ff)"

Now, I'm not sure how credible the authors are, but the conclusions there supports the assertion that; maybe a deeper cultural connection to the dominant Philosophy (at least the ones driving the knowledge of the age we live in) is necessary for a greater exploitation of the benefits of western science and a deeper appreciation for it's value beyond "paper certificate" bragging  rights. I believe that the closer your are to it culturally and emotionally, the better you will fare and the farther it will drive you

So in essence, despite the exploits of those great Arab Scholars, IMO, their larger society and culture did not really embrace the foundations of those thoughts and sometimes were very hostile towards it. Millions are still hostile.

The Western Europeans didn't create Greek science or Islamic science, but they improved upon it and appreciated it to the point that we casually assume that they are its founders or that they have some sort of closer relationship than others to ideas and truths that would always exist regardless of whether they (the Western Europeans) ever existed.

IMO, Comparing western Europeans and the Greeks is like comparing Yorubas and Igbos or shall I say; Bantus and their different ethnic mix from South Africa to Guinea. The Culture and language might have some differences but they are still very much related.

See, I know gravity existed regardless of who "discovered" it, but it helps if it is explained in your own cultural context and language.

In mathematics, for example, can somebody who wants to be a mathematician fail to have a deep appreciation and connection to math simply because it's garbed in the language of a different culture? I can't see that happening. The knowledge in that field is too universal.

Yes, like sex, adding and subtracting are universal skills(hopefully, lol) but culture and beliefs can influence their usage.

And I will also argue that I would've have done better in Calculus if it was taught in Yoruba, that is if I'm not too right brained or suffering from Dyscalculia  cheesy

And nobody has a monopoly on creating philosophy or ideology, either. There's nothing stopping significant African (Nigerian, specifically) philosophers/ideologues/social theorists from emerging.

Yes no one has the monopoly on creating ideas, but one can acquire the advantage to run competitive or different ideologies out of the marketplace of ideas.

Some of the real questions I'm struggling with are hidden somewhere in your statement.

What is stopping us?

How are our cultural beliefs affecting our philosophy and our ability to question and research deeply?

Are there Historical push-backs and prejudices against our philosophical views and ideas?

Does language play a role in our inability to make better use of the western ideas?

Ibn Abi Usaibi, Avicenna, Al Farabi and other ancient Arab scholars and philosophers translated Plato, Aristotle and other Greek thoughts and science into Arabic. I know Europeans had to re-translate the Arabic works and even the names! of these Arab Scholars and preservers of Greek philosophy into Latin based names just to feel more comfortable with them. Language is the vehicle of culture, it makes that "emotional" connection stronger.

The other point against your argument is, why were the Chinese, Japanese, the Ashkenazi Jews, and some other groups able to do so well in these areas, despite the fact that they did not originally have a cultural or emotional connection to the foundations of Western science and education?

Dunno, BUT;

The Chinese speak Chinese.

The Japanese speak Japanese.

The Ashkenazi Jews "own" the world. We worship their god(s) remember? wink

The prevalent western focused world-view is chiefly a view through the moral and philosophical lenses of the Judeo-Christian or Abrahamic world, from literarure to philosophy to war conquests and politics. We can also argue same for the Hebrew and Greek philosophical background/foundations of much of present day western thought, it must count for something that they have that connection, I think it helps the Ashkenazi Jews a lot.

At least they got one over my smart grandfather and his Orisa Religion. He didn't see it coming  

Maybe we will get there, maybe we will fully assimilate, not sure, but I think we have a huge disadvantage due to culture, language and a different philosophical world-view from the currently dominant ones.

We just need to adapt to the race and global competition. Like they said, it's like we're being left behind while the world moves past us.

Yes, we need to try harder at adapting and assimilating. I guess we are still evolving.

The world is probably still very young bro, I bet there is still a lot to discover, we might have to wait around a few more millennias to know where the pendulum will swing, maybe we will zoom ahead eventually  undecided

Our competitors ain't silly though. I don't bet on them slowing down to give us a chance to catch up and blend in.

And this is just to scare ekt-bear in-case he stumbles on my post ->: We might need to "re-invent the wheel" or at least soup it up to our taste  cool
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by yeswecan(m): 9:35am On May 07, 2011
That’s what I call a wife material - not the normal girl whose concern circles around how to look good and boyfriend issues.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by ektbear: 9:44am On May 07, 2011
Kilode?!:

Our competitors ain't silly though. I don't bet on them slowing down to give us a chance to catch up and blend in.

They don't have a choice in the matter, really. Here is a plot of the GDP growth rate of Italy:
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_kd_zg&idim=country:ITA&dl=en&hl=en&q=gdp+growth+rate+of+italy

Here is one of Nigeria:
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_kd_zg&idim=country:NGA&dl=en&hl=en&q=gdp+growth+rate+of+nigeria

Eventually, we will catch up. Might be 500 years from now. . . but that is fine by me  smiley

If by modernizing now I can speed up the process for my descendants and reduce it from 500 years to 200, I'll definitely go ahead and do whatever it takes.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by ragdollz: 10:00am On May 07, 2011
Fantastic news! She should drop the headscarf though, you know how Americans feel about extreme religiousity grin grin grin. And OF COURSE she's Nigerian. What are the odds that she's NOT?? Nine out of ten black pple in the US are Nigerian in origin anyway grin grin grin.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Kilode1: 10:01am On May 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

They don't have a choice in the matter, really. Here is a plot of the GDP growth rate of Italy:
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_kd_zg&idim=country:ITA&dl=en&hl=en&q=gdp+growth+rate+of+italy

Here is one of Nigeria:
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_kd_zg&idim=country:NGA&dl=en&hl=en&q=gdp+growth+rate+of+nigeria

The differences between those two graphs actually got me ROFL, Italy looks sad grin

Let's not get carried away though, they still have these: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2010/countries/Italy.html

Eventually, we will catch up. Might be 500 years from now. . . but that is fine by me  smiley

If by modernizing now I can speed up the process for my descendants and reduce it from 500 years to 200, I'll definitely go ahead and do whatever it takes.

The faith we have in our ability to persevere and adapt is legendary.

I agree though, we should not slow down and sulk because we lost some ground, that will only keep us further behind. Anyway, I wish us luck, strength and Godspeed or Orisaspeed. .
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by namfav(m): 10:03am On May 07, 2011
well done, is she from the north or swest?
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by ektbear: 10:12am On May 07, 2011
Kilode?!:

The differences between those two graphs actually got me ROFL, Italy looks sad grin

Let's not get carried away though, they still have these: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2010/countries/Italy.html

The faith we have in our ability to persevere and adapt is legendary.

I agree though, we should not slow down and sulk because we lost some ground, that will only keep us further behind. Anyway, I wish us luck, strength and Godspeed.
Sure. But if Nigeria is well-run and we are able to keep bad leaders out (like these dull Yara'Adua types), then Nigeria will continue to grow and prosper. And eventually catch up.

6% GDP growth rate over the next 50 years isn't impossible (well, might be, but let's pretend it isn't grin) If Italy is doing 1% over that time period. . . .then our GDP inceases by a factor of 18.4, Italy's by only 1.64 grin

Exponential growth is a powerful thing smiley

Anyway, in the long run, things will work out. . . we'll catch up (or at least close enough.) At least, assuming we can avoid the terrible leadership that has plagued Nigeria in the past.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Kilode1: 10:47am On May 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

6% GDP growth rate over the next 50 years isn't impossible (well, might be, but let's pretend it isn't grin) If Italy is doing 1% over that time period. . . .then our GDP inceases by a factor of 18.4, Italy's by only 1.64 grin

Exponential growth is a powerful thing smiley

SMH, so no respect for the Cosa Nostra and the descendants of Julius Caesar anymore? shocked

Anyway Mansa Musa once crashed gold prices, but his people now take foreign aids, so nothing new  smiley

@Topic, what's up with Yale rejecting this girl? why are they so snobbish? I heard they only admit borderline lunatics and kids with weird Einstein-like academic profiles.

I wish this young girl well, very impressive achievement.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by chibaby5(f): 12:07pm On May 07, 2011
Wow excellent girl cool
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Ojumiii(m): 12:09pm On May 07, 2011
May GOD be with you
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by eghost247(m): 2:05pm On May 07, 2011
God be with u!
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by tpia5: 2:12pm On May 07, 2011
Hopefully the girl wont be compelled to not date outside her ethnicity.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by SEFAGO(m): 3:12pm On May 07, 2011
^ whats ur own sef. She can date who she wants- if na oyibo so be it. First na ashewo you use curse am, nau u have set another one on her undecided

What about my proposition cool

@Topic, what's up with Yale rejecting this girl? why are they so snobbish? I heard they only admit borderline lunatics and kids with weird Einstein-like academic profiles.

LOL, impossible to know. They might not have liked her essay, thought she was too young, worried she might be more of a robot than a real person. Dunno. Who cares anyways Harvard>>>Yale. Chick is set why do u wanna pour sand sand for her garri grin
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by zstranger: 3:18pm On May 07, 2011
tpia@:

Hopefully the girl wont be compelled to not date outside her ethnicity.

It is becoming unbecoming of your unbecoming on NL

You seem so bitter, at everyone.

Is your life that messed up?

Life sweeet mehn. Cheer up and go suck on some ding-dong. If I were you, I'd give SEFAGO a try.

Haba, atleast, you have it better than some. Just focus on the positive things.

AAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by aljharem3: 3:20pm On May 07, 2011
namfav:

that is the reality my brother wink
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by zstranger: 3:22pm On May 07, 2011
namfav:

You are so annoying?

Do you even need to ask?

15, Harvard, NJ, near perfect SAT, Harvard, articulate.    .   .  you see that combination and you still ask your silly question?

Just to humor you, she is from the SW, Osun-State, as expected. She could not have been from the North. no way!
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by aljharem3: 3:24pm On May 07, 2011
zstranger:

You are so annoying?

Do you even need to ask?

15, Harvard, NJ, near perfect SAT, Harvard, articulate.    .   .  you see that combination and you still ask your silly question?

Just to humor you, she is from the SW, Osun-State, as expected. She could not have been from the North. no way!

why ?
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by ektbear: 3:25pm On May 07, 2011
zstranger: Remember the Northern entrepreneurs in Canada from a few days ago? You'd imagine that their kids could be of the same caliber.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by zstranger: 3:27pm On May 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

zstranger: Remember the[b] Northern entrepreneurs in Canada[/b] from a few days ago? You'd imagine that their kids could be of the same caliber.

Hmmm, which one?

my last post? you know what i do grin
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by sbeezy8: 3:28pm On May 07, 2011
my cousin got accepted in to yale at 16

he graduated last year

whats the big deal?

not a hata just saying
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by namfav(m): 3:31pm On May 07, 2011
zstranger:

You are so annoying?

Do you even need to ask?

please, what does that have to do with where she is from
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by SEFAGO(m): 3:34pm On May 07, 2011
Now, I'm not sure how credible the authors are, but the conclusions there supports the assertion that; maybe a deeper cultural connection to the dominant Philosophy (at least the ones driving the knowledge of the age we live in) is necessary for a greater exploitation of the benefits of western science and a deeper appreciation for it's value beyond "paper certificate" bragging  rights. I believe that the closer your are to it culturally and emotionally, the better you will fare and the farther it will drive you

This has always been my thesis too. Seems cultural similarity is one of the most important reasons for development in most countries. The need to be "western." Thats why the Chinese Government encouraged its best students to study in the US. It seems the west has set up everything in the system to favor themselves. We cant really do much now.

So maybe we should all become as western as possible. Its ok, to just assume defeat, and absorb the dominant culture, there isn't much we cannot do again. The Japanese and the chinese were already far into the "wheel of civilization" so they could maybe have some cultural inputs into science and technology. I think personally we should try and become as western as possible, to beat the big bad "West" we must become like them.

(sefago hides behind the wall from the pan-african abuse he is about to receive)
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by zstranger: 3:41pm On May 07, 2011
namfav:

please, what does that have to do with where she is from

Like you dont already know that Hausas are mentally inferior to Yorubas and Igbos

I dont have the time to entertain your silliness.

This is a well known fact that you can easily Google-up.

Anyhoo, she is Yoruba. She could not have been anything else, maybe Edo or Igbo, but then she would not have had it that good. the fact that her father is an academic and her near perfect SAT tell the story.  She just has to be Yoruba.

Anyhoo, I am out.
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 07, 2011
She is an American born daughter to Nigerian Immigrants.  wink smiley
To the person who said if she was Nigerian they would have mentioned it, that is a blasted lie!
White Americans are HATERS! Before they give a foreign nation any props they will check the American
status of the person(s) being praised and use that title to claim them. Trust me! They've even grouped her
as being Afro/Black American rather than Nigerian-American.

She is Nigerian American folks, trust me I should know because I was her tutor!  grin grin LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk!

BUT seriously here:
http://madamenoire.com/52967/15-year-old-girl-accepted-to-harvard/

when my mom saw this on the news she was grinning ear to ear. It does us proud to see black people making it.
This girl is def. a hero of mine. I hope she takes another 'sister' under her wings. Ppl like her should be our
role models not video vixens and rapper groupies.  undecided undecided

*OMG SHE APPLIED TO UNC!!!!!!! wow! cheesy cheesy would have been so cool if she accepted! I am surprised she didn't recieve bribe mail lipsrsealed grin
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by ektbear: 3:52pm On May 07, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

Ppl like her should be our
role models not video vixens and rapper groupies.  undecided undecided

You disapprove of "shake dat azz ho"?  lipsrsealed
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by namfav(m): 3:54pm On May 07, 2011
zstranger:

Like you dont already know that Hausas are mentally inferior to Yorubas and Igbos

I dont have the time to entertain your silliness.

This is a well known fact that you can easily Google-up.

Anyhoo, she is Yoruba. She could not have been anything else, maybe Edo or Igbo, but then she would not have had it that good. the fact that her father is an academic and her near perfect SAT tell the story.  She just has to be Yoruba.

Anyhoo, I am out.
in your dreams, inferior to yorubas and ibos based on what? tell us, based on what? and since when?

i'll be waiting
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 07, 2011
ekt_bear:

You disapprove of "shake dat azz ho"?  lipsrsealed
grin grin
BIG TIME! I dance myself but at home. MAYBE at parties but I couldn't imagine showing my arse on tv
and showing what myself, my man, and my doctor are supposed to see, to the world!  tongue tongue Sadly young girls aspire to be that type.  undecided
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by zstranger: 3:56pm On May 07, 2011
namfav:

in your dreams, inferior to yorubas and ibos based on what? tell us, based on what? and since when?

i'll be waiting

Well, how many Macarthur genius award recipients are from the North? Lets start from there grin
Re: 15-year-old Naija Girl Is Harvard/ivy-bound by sbeezy8: 3:56pm On May 07, 2011
hausa and fulani are not inferior to yorubas or anyone.

the northerners are just backwards cause in my uni there are hausas and fulani but not from nigeria, other countires

so the problem is northern leaders.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Jails Lt. Col., 15 Others Over Chibok Girls’ Abduction / Tompolo, Pipeline Surveillance And The Limits Of Misleading Information / Every Nigerian Wants To Take Pictures With Me – Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.