Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,775 members, 7,889,486 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 01:37 PM

Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? (19660 Views)

Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria / Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? / Is It A Good Choice To Quit My Teaching Job Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Pravedk: 7:12pm On Jun 20, 2021
beulah76:
What is the difference between geology and geophysics?.

Geology is simply you studying the earth in it's entirety. From how rocks are formed to their structures and properties...

While Geophysics mostly makes use of physics to explore the earth. It's more mathematical. I am a geophycist and loving it.

Everyone to his fate.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Pravedk: 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2021
Odidigboigbo:
It's all about Grace, I have seen someone with 2.1 Petroleum Engineering Uniport, teaching in secondary School after 5 years of graduation. He even manage to secure the teaching job after 3 years of joblessness. I have equally seen someone that read linguistics, working in one of the multinationals Oil company.
Na so this country be���
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by trilobite: 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2021
Admob090:
my friend who has just been offered admission to study geology is kinda scared whether to accept it or rewrite another jamb considering the nigerian job market after graduation.

Stumbled on this thread while chilling and decided to reply when free. Here goes:

I am a geologist, curently doing my post graduate studies in a school and field I cannot mention here. The thing about sciences is that your success is dependent on an ability to see the big picture.

For instance, there are first class graduates of geology who don't know how to apply for post graduate study or prepare a personal statement. These guys just graduated by cramming without actually learning anything.

My advice is before accepting the admission sit down and draft a plan for yourself. Where do you see yourself; is it as a researcher like me or in the oil industry.

For any choice you make there are skills you need to acquire during your study which will help in your future career. Don't just go in there and cram your way through else you'll regret it when you graduate.

I went in to geology with an open mind not knowing what it was all about but by my third undergraduate year I was already looking at what my peers in American and British universities were doing and how I could catch up. This approach to looking beyond my environment has helped me well, and should do same for you.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ofiko123(m): 8:07pm On Jun 20, 2021
Geology is not a bad course at all...
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Powersurge: 8:10pm On Jun 20, 2021
Admob090:
my friend who has just been offered admission to study geology is kinda scared whether to accept it or rewrite another jamb considering the nigerian job market after graduation.

First of all, I know say na you get the admission. No be your friend.

No course makes sense outside the school environment. However, there is a branch of data analysis the is VERY hot right now that's from geology field. I think geospatial analysis or so. Deliberately develop yourself in IT in geology, and you wouldn't have problem. I did agricultural economics in school. I am working as a data scientist. Ensure you get skills beyond what your course offer.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Myketuale(m): 8:16pm On Jun 20, 2021
wunmi590:
sad

Studying geology in Nigeria is just waste of time just like studying Microbiology if you don't have a strong connection...

Geology is one of the department they have saddist lecturer and yet most of their graduate are always lagging behind interms of job

I have alot of friends who studied Geology and are still struggling to get jobs..

Some of them are hotel managers a d some work in the bank, some are still looking for jobs till now...

Let him go ahead and study it and apply for masters abroad if he has the means, nah there him go blow

What would you say of biochemist?
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ben1daEbiri(m): 8:27pm On Jun 20, 2021
4gunners:
It's better to start with chemical engineering.

Chemical engineering is wry better than PE for first degree.

Those quoting me saying I should graduate first and apply for jobs lol. Mechanical engineers have more than 60% of PE jobs. It's easier for a ME to get a job than a PE...infact it's almost the same for all engineering discipline the only difference is PE having a better base payment but the fact remains that there are very few PE jobs as compared to others.

I'll say it again, PE is a no-no for a first degree.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ben1daEbiri(m): 8:33pm On Jun 20, 2021
Bunsenbun:
You definitely don't know what you are talking about.I am a prospective geologist in his finals.I know lots of petroleum Engineering graduates that have nothing doing at hand cause pet engineering as a course is highly streamlined.The reality on ground is that WHAT YOU STUDY IN NAIJA DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE.
NAIJA DON SPOIL PASS THAT LEVEL.

Someone else agrees with me too. PE as first degree is a trap!!!
I'm in my finals and found out late,no one really told me about how difficult getting a job is,only concentrated on getting a fat pay even though it's true buy where are the jobs?

I intend on running my afters ASAP on either chemical engineering or Geophysics.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by wunmi590(m): 8:55pm On Jun 20, 2021
Myketuale:

What would you say of biochemist?

Bros, they are all in the same category.....

Majority of my biochemist friend are either working as a lab attendant or in the marketing department of a bank, just not to stay idle....

Nigeria doesn't have dreams for its graduate...

No Nigerian graduate is lazy, is not easy to graduate in any of the Nigerian tertiary institutions

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Uyi168: 9:29pm On Jun 20, 2021
seunla84:

On the contrary, Mining sector in Nigeria is fast picking up. You can make your findings.
Na lie.
Na naija we dey.
Nothing dey pick up
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ptoall1000: 9:31pm On Jun 20, 2021
You people should be talking about IT related courses or medical sciences. These are courses of the future globally
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Myketuale(m): 12:07am On Jun 21, 2021
wunmi590:

Bros, they are all in the same category.....

Majority of my biochemist friend are either working as a lab attendant or in the marketing department of a bank, just not to stay idle....

Nigeria doesn't have dreams for its graduate...

No Nigerian graduate is lazy, is not easy to graduate in any of the Nigerian tertiary institutions

You are very right sir.
What is our fate now in this country bayi??
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by tasceige(m): 12:09am On Jun 21, 2021
wunmi590:
sad

Studying geology in Nigeria is just waste of time just like studying Microbiology if you don't have a strong connection...

Geology is one of the department they have saddist lecturer and yet most of their graduate are always lagging behind interms of job

I have alot of friends who studied Geology and are still struggling to get jobs..

Some of them are hotel managers a d some work in the bank, some are still looking for jobs till now...

Let him go ahead and study it and apply for masters abroad if he has the means, nah there him go blow

Sounds much more like that school in Ogbomosho
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by tiwasiaife(m): 5:16am On Jun 21, 2021
9jaBloke:
smiley Fellow Paleomen get in here
Reporting from geology white house Nsukka.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 21, 2021
trilobite:

For instance, there are first class graduates of geology who don't know how to apply for post graduate study or prepare a personal statement. These guys just graduated by cramming without actually learning anything.

How did applying for a post graduate become an achievement? What if they are not interested in postgraduate? I one said to myself that if I don't earn with my B.Sc., I wouldn't bother with any postgraduate. Luckily, it didn't take long before I got a job.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by wunmi590(m): 7:03am On Jun 21, 2021
Myketuale:

You are very right sir.
What is our fate now in this country bayi??

Japarism to another saner country is the best

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by trilobite: 11:41am On Jun 21, 2021
Passage:

How did applying for a post graduate become an achievement? What if they are not interested in postgraduate? I one said to myself that if I don't earn with my B.Sc., I wouldn't bother with any postgraduate. Luckily, it didn't take long before I got a job.

I am talking about students looking to do post graduate studies upon graduation who forgot to acquire the necessary skills for same during undergraduate studies.

Congratulations on your job. Cheers
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Tunks2017(m): 1:59pm On Jun 21, 2021
omokab:
pls don't let anybody deceive you. Geology is a very good course.Im working presently with an environmental agency as an accountant. All the geologist in our organization were giving level 9 and most of them usually considered as a state and zonal head. There are a lot of places geologist can work

Which organization is that pls?
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by ItwasntMe(m): 3:09pm On Jun 21, 2021
How can I contact you sir. Need some advice and info
deadsea:

Do a masters degree in GIS immediately after NYSV. Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by 9jaBloke: 3:59pm On Jun 21, 2021
tiwasiaife:

Reporting from geology white house Nsukka.

Lion. I sight you.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by omokab: 9:10pm On Jun 21, 2021
Tunks2017:

Which organization is that pls?
NESREA
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Hassanmaye(m): 6:01am On Jun 22, 2021
soul2:
You better no try am, goelogist are the most useless in this kind country. I am a living example bro.
You are not serious
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Hassanmaye(m): 6:05am On Jun 22, 2021
Abba114:
hehehe havent u seen the videon where president said everywhere is filled from federal government down to local government? and at the end he said YOU GO TO A GOOD UNIVERSITY AND GET A DEGREE YOU WILL NEVER GET A JOB. and u are here asking a question about what to study. anyway let me answer your question. i studied geography in uni while i was at uni i have friends from geology dept. since we r in thesame faculty one of my friends from geology dept. graduated with first class he got a schorlaship and did his m.sc in india HE IS STILL JOBLESSSSSS
Please telle you are joking
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Hassanmaye(m): 6:08am On Jun 22, 2021
Jac007:
Be prepared to become a geobanker grin I'm a geologist but I'm now in IT related field. I wish to work in my field of study anyways. Solid minerals will be the next big thing in Nigeria. Cabals have no interest in it yet.
Haha cabals buhari will arrest you
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Hassanmaye(m): 6:12am On Jun 22, 2021
mamawa123:
Look at the job market here back home before you further your studies.

Some courses here in Nigeria doesn’t worth it unless you have connections that can get you job. Look at courses like

Marketing
Public Administration
Political science
Business administration
History

Theater arts (Also you don’t need a degree to work in movie industry)

Religion studies
Geography

Biochemistry ( unless you want to further your studies in medical fields or travel abroad)

These courses are almost worthless in Nigeria job market today because 3 quarters of Nigerian unemployed and underemployed candidates have degree in one of those courses.

Some of these courses not going to get you good salary even if you travel abroad

Don’t get me wrong some people still get good job with degree in one of those courses especially those people that have connections. Stay away from those courses if you don’t have connections.

Please don’t come here to tell me that God can do it. We all know that nothing is impossible with God but we need to look at job market before going to school.

Also it will be better to go to a trade school than a conventional school if you are over certain age in Nigeria because most of these companies want young fellows that are less than 30 years in age. So go to trade school to learn a trade that will help you.

But why do people go for masters in public administration and business administration, don't forget MBA is the best masters you can do, buy why are they still jobless, I know many people who studied law(malami) accounting (current minister of humanitarian affairs) that go back to do masters in public administration why
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Hassanmaye(m): 6:13am On Jun 22, 2021
Mckeni007:
If your parents are no a senator, governor, senior lawyers, minister, commissioner, chairman, business Mogul etc, don't study these courses:
Political science
Theater Arts
Sociology
History and diplomacy
Philosophy
Geography and Environmental Management
Geology
Religious Studies
Office Information Management
Peace and Conflicts
Physics
Science
Blood of Zachariah even science
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Hassanmaye(m): 6:14am On Jun 22, 2021
Odidigboigbo:
It's all about Grace, I have seen someone with 2.1 Petroleum Engineering Uniport, teaching in secondary School after 5 years of graduation. He even manage to secure the teaching job after 3 years of joblessness. I have equally seen someone that read linguistics, working in one of the multinationals Oil company.
Jesus
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by mamawa123: 7:00am On Jun 22, 2021
Hassanmaye:

But why do people go for masters in public administration and business administration, don't forget MBA is the best masters you can do, buy why are they still jobless, I know many people who studied law(malami) accounting (current minister of humanitarian affairs) that go back to do masters in public administration why

The main reason is that the number of graduates with degree in political science, marketing and public administration outnumbered the few jobs available in these areas. The ratio is about 10000 to 1. Over 10000 candidates bidding for 1 job position.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Myketuale(m): 8:13pm On Jun 22, 2021
wunmi590:

Japarism to another saner country is the best

Na true.
Na to hustle look for money and japa be that.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by wunmi590(m): 8:26pm On Jun 22, 2021
Myketuale:

Na true.
Na to hustle look for money and japa be that.

cool
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Frenchkiss564: 9:19am On Jun 26, 2021
Komu1048:

My bro that teach me painting studied geophysics, did his NYSC with one oil company but couldn’t get employed because he is not from Bayelsa. Now he is painter, he said only two of.his 55 course mates now practice something near to oil n gas. Work all depends on who u know n if u no sabi person grow your skill so much that they have no choice than to hire you

Thats true bro, what you study in school seems not to matter.

I really want to learn painting too, do one need to have talent in art to learn it.
Re: Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? by Komu1048(m): 3:30pm On Jun 28, 2021
Frenchkiss564:

Thats true bro, what you study in school seems not to matter.

I really want to learn painting too, do one need to have talent in art to learn it.

No, I mean house painting and decoration here. If you really want to learn I can tell you it worth it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Key Differences Between A Chauffeur And A Driver / Closure Of Sachet Water Firms In Kano: 2m Youths To Lose Jobs / Are Online Professional Courses Recognised By Prospective Employers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.