Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,920 members, 7,872,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:46 AM

This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] (6462 Views)

Watch Your Tongue Or We’ll Expose Your ‘ugly’ Past, Labour Party Warns Shettima / A Tree Can Actually Make A Forest! (pics) / Aisha Buhari: ‘we’re Ready To Expose Your Families’ – Presidency Warns PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 10:07am On Jun 26, 2021
Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture revealed in a press conference recently that Nigerians using VPNs to bypass the popular Twitter ban in Nigeria are risking getting themselves exposed. “My advice to anybody using vpn is to stop it because when you use vpn, it exposes your entire data, including your bank account,” he said. “I am serious. So, if you’re using VPN and you think you’re hurting Lai Mohammed, you are hurting yourself,” he concluded.

As usual the minister got alot of bashing from Nigerians especially the youths who were supposed to be more informed than the old minister.

Can VPN really expose your data?

Absolutely.

But How?

I am sure alot of you have heard of spywares, If not please google it, a spyware can be "binded" to an original software or app without notice, the creators of that app or software can now spy on your activity on any device.

Ever wondered how some hackers get sms sent from your bank when using your debit card online? Before you complete a transaction a code is sent to the your registered number for authorization, since the hacker has access your device via the spyware he will see the code and even delete it immediately to avoid suspicion (this is done remotely)

With the rate at which Nigerians jump at downloading any app or software in the name of VPN they may have downloaded one that is binded with a spyware.

So, the old famous Lia Muhammad is 100% right on this one.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 26, 2021
Trash

Lai Mohamed and cbn are stealing our money directly from our bank account without vpn

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by BrazilaAirporta: 10:17am On Jun 26, 2021
Basically all apps ask for most of these permission

4 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by HisSexcellency(m): 10:19am On Jun 26, 2021
This is just a dumb attempt to justify what Mr lai mohammed said.
Virtually all apps require some form of permission to access and use some features on your phone/device in order to function optimally. Even facebook, Twitter, whatsapp, truecaller, snapchat, etc requires access to your storage, location, camera, contacts, edit/modify features on your phone.

8 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 11:21am On Jun 26, 2021
HisSexcellency:
This is just a dumb attempt to justify what Mr lai mohammed said.
Virtually all apps require some form of permission to access and use some features on your phone/device in order to function optimally. Even facebook, Twitter, whatsapp, truecaller, snapchat, etc requires access to your storage, location, camera, contacts, edit/modify features on your phone.

A simple google search on spywares can save you this level of ignorance.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by Tinubuadvocate: 11:26am On Jun 26, 2021
Only if it's not a strong encryption standard.
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 11:27am On Jun 26, 2021
BrazilaAirporta:
Basically all apps ask for most of these permission

Do a search on spywares and get informed, this is not about granting permissions to the app...this is done from the backdoor, a compromised app can steal your data wether or not you grant it permission...

why are people so bent on been ignorant even after enlightening them?

Keep downloading any app you come across, las las you go fall victim to hackers as una no one hear word.

7 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by inoki247: 11:34am On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

A simple google search on spywares can save you this level of ignorance.

So all diz 2k loan app dat az been having access to people phones av access 2 dere contact no giv u headache na aw to justify Mr Lai u dey find...

no b all diz techno, infinix nd co go jus install app wey u no send dem nd u jus see am on ur phone so look for something else to yarn..

weda u av VPN or u no get so far u keep giving all different typ of app to av access to ur phone ur phone is liable to b hacked...

2 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by vedaxcool(m): 12:22pm On Jun 26, 2021
[s]
Mikecold:
Trash

Lai Mohamed and cbn are stealing our money directly from our bank account without vpn
[/s]

This soro soke youth, incapable of comprehending basic information but quick to hurl invectives.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by sapientia(m): 12:27pm On Jun 26, 2021
Complete and utter trash
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by vedaxcool(m): 12:29pm On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Do a search on spywares and get informed, this is not about granting permissions to the app...this is done from the backdoor, a compromised app can steal your data wether or not you grant it permission...

Keep downloading any app you come across, las las you go fall victim to hackers as una no one hear word.

It is the soro soke phenomenon, rather than learn more by googling they prefer weed and condom.

When clearing LTG the amount of condom removed from there could easily empower many youths who protested there but those who sent them on the errand while transferring millions to themselves and cronies felt that soro soke youths only understand condom and weed not empowerment.

3 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by optionalY09: 12:29pm On Jun 26, 2021
Mikecold:
Trash

Absolute trash

for this nonsense we will not use vpn we will use VPS
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by obembet(f): 12:50pm On Jun 26, 2021
Na your account?
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by persius555(m): 12:53pm On Jun 26, 2021
Android permission security features doesn't allow third party app access it's file directory without the user directly giving authorization not to talk of remote access.

Only rooted phones are prone to such attacks. All release of android flavour adhere to this. Spywares are totally banned in Google play store and developers adhere to these.

The only way to smuggle in a spyware will be via APKs, which would still require user permissions for installation

1 Like

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by StaffofOrayan(m): 12:56pm On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Is it the VPN that is compromised or the app?
Some VPN providers don't even store logs,
Some browsers come with VPN access!
You are the one sounding ignorant here!
If you have to take tech advice from a grandfather then that's on you!

4 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by mrvitalis(m): 12:56pm On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:
Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture revealed in a press conference recently that Nigerians using VPNs to bypass the popular Twitter ban in Nigeria are risking getting themselves exposed. “My advice to anybody using vpn is to stop it because when you use vpn, it exposes your entire data, including your bank account,” he said. “I am serious. So, if you’re using VPN and you think you’re hurting Lai Mohammed, you are hurting yourself,” he concluded.

As usual the minister got alot of bashing from Nigerians especially the youths who were supposed to be more informed than the old minister.

Absolutely.

But How?

I am sure alot of you have heard of spywares, If not please google it, a spyware can be "binded" to an original software or app without notice, the creators of that app or software can now spy on your activity on any device.

Ever wondered how some hackers get sms sent from your bank when using your debit card online? Before you complete a transaction a code is sent to the your registered number for authorization, since the hacker has access your device via the spyware he will see the code and even delete it immediately to avoid suspicion (this is done remotely)

With the rate at which Nigerians jump at downloading any app or software in the name of VPN they may have downloaded one that is binded with a spyware.

Which app don't ask for this things ...name 5 popular apps that don't ?
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by Rickmann: 1:00pm On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Absolutely.

But How?

This analysis makes some sense afterall.
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by angelfallz(m): 1:12pm On Jun 26, 2021
The bolded,
You can't blame them, Lai Mohammed represents an oppressive and wicked government, and many people have nothing but hate for the government. So don't be surprised if people refuse to believe what that same government is saying. I bet you some people are using VPNs just to spite the government even with all the dangers free VPNs represents.

KingOfAmebo:

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by Trizyd(m): 1:15pm On Jun 26, 2021
Just use VPN approved on your device app store, they have a layer of protection to make sure you are not using a compromised app and this in not particular to a VPN , it can be just any app that can have a spyware embedded to it. You are only misleading people with that post. Reputable VPN are very good at keeping your data safe, safer than just allowing your datas pass through a internet service provider. VPN IS VERY SAFE.
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by kiddie(m): 1:17pm On Jun 26, 2021
Any app can embed malware into their application, which is why you're encouraged to download applications on verified app stores (Google play store and iOS). All bank transactions are encrypted over HTTPS which is hard to crack. This is baseless on all ramification.
FAKE NEWS!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by davinchecodes(m): 1:57pm On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Absolutely.

But How?

This is 100% false, a VPN does not compromise a device.

Only when your device is infected with a Spyware, is when a hacker can gain access to your device.
Sorry to say this man, you sound like a dumbo.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 2:03pm On Jun 26, 2021
StaffofOrayan:

Is it the VPN that is compromised or the app?
Some VPN providers don't even store logs,
Some browsers come with VPN access!
You are the one sounding ignorant here!
If you have to take tech advice from a grandfather then that's on you!

read the bolded again...I don't understand what you mean, what are you even saying self?

In trying to justify your ignorance you still sound confused...

YOU NEED A VPN APP OR SOFTWARE TO ACCESS VPN ON MOBILE DEVICES OR PC, YOU CAN ALSO GET A VPN VIA A PRE-INSTALLED BROWSER BOTH OF WHICH CAN BE COMPROMISED, EITHER WAYS YOU STILL NEED TO INSTALL THE VPN BROWSER, APP OR SOFTWARE ON YOUR DEVICE WHICH CAN BE COMPROMISED BY THE DEVELOPERS AFTER BINDING IT WITH A SPYWARE.

I can't believe I have to type this in capitals hoping you would still get my point.

Chai! The hate for government don blind plenty people eye and sense ooo.

2 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 2:13pm On Jun 26, 2021
davinchecodes:

This is 100% false, a VPN does not compromise a device.

Only when your device is infected with a Spyware, is when a hacker can gain access to your device.
Sorry to say this man, you sound like a dumbo.

Maybe I have to practicalize this with an APK from one of you and bind it with a spyware then send it back to you to install on your mobile device for you to believe me.

if I no go leak all the secret wey dey your phone no be my papa born me...I go even tell you where you dey live now and send you the most recent pictures you take with your phone.

Some of you commenting here are so dumb, daft and plain stupid, Sadly, you can easily access google from your phone and research what I posted yet you still too lazy to even do that simple task.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 2:26pm On Jun 26, 2021
kiddie:
Any app can embed malware into their application, which is why you're encouraged to download applications on verified app stores (Google play store and iOS). All bank transactions are encrypted over HTTPS which is hard to crack. This is baseless on all ramification.
FAKE NEWS!!!

Smh, incase you don't know there are lots of compromised apps on stores wether Google play store or iOS...

"All bank transaction are encrypted over HTTPS which is hard to crack" LOLThat's what bank want you to believe, tell me how hackers get hold of bank accounts and sell on darknets if "transactions are encrypted"?

Have you even heard of the word "keylogger"? google it first then come back to me for further discussions.

2 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by Khd95(m): 2:50pm On Jun 26, 2021
Let them steal my data, is it their stealing?

As long as pantami, the terrorist lover is still a minister of that sensitive position, they have no moral or ethical justification to Tell me that my data is at risk by using vpn

1 Like

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by Leboska(m): 3:06pm On Jun 26, 2021
When did liar Mohammed begins to have the interest of Nigerian youth. For him to say VPN is not safe means it's very safe.

1 Like

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by StaffofOrayan(m): 4:00pm On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

read the bolded again...I don't understand what you mean, what are you even saying self?

In trying to justify your ignorance you still sound confused...

YOU NEED A VPN APP OR SOFTWARE TO ACCESS VPN ON MOBILE DEVICES OR PC, YOU CAN ALSO GET A VPN VIA A PRE-INSTALLED BROWSER BOTH OF WHICH CAN BE COMPROMISED, EITHER WAYS YOU STILL NEED TO INSTALL THE VPN BROWSER, APP OR SOFTWARE ON YOUR DEVICE WHICH CAN BE COMPROMISED BY THE DEVELOPERS AFTER BINDING IT WITH A SPYWARE.

I can't believe I have to type this in capitals hoping you would still get my point.

Chai! The hate for government don blind plenty people eye and sense ooo.

Hate for the government! Smh
Oga you can get Spyware from opening a file, folder, clicking on links, that is why anti-virus and Spyware services were invented,

My point is that whether you have VPN or not, if you don't have an Anti-virus package on your device, you will still be infected!

You are unintelligently grasping at straws

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 4:26pm On Jun 26, 2021
StaffofOrayan:

Hate for the government! Smh
Oga you can get Spyware from opening a file, folder, clicking on links, that is why anti-virus and Spyware services were invented,

My point is that whether you have VPN or not, if you don't have an Anti-virus package on your device, you will still be infected!

You are unintelligently grasping at straws

Oga, don't argue what you know nothing about, this is not beer parlour IT gist.

At your age you still don't know some malwares run on "stealth mode" meaning it CANNOT be detected by an Anti-Virus...You can Google that too cuz I don't have time to waste on stark illiterates

Many ingorant people on nairaland claiming IT guru.

4 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by kiddie(m): 4:36pm On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Smh, incase you don't know there are lots of compromised apps on stores wether Google play store or iOS...

"All bank transaction are encrypted over HTTPS which is hard to crack" LOLThat's what bank want you to believe, tell me how hackers get hold of bank accounts and sell on darknets if "transactions are encrypted"?

Have you even heard of the word "keylogger"? google it first then come back to me for further discussions.

How does keylogger relate to HTTPS?
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by kiddie(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2021
KingOfAmebo:

Maybe I have to practicalize this with an APK from one of you and bind it with a spyware then send it back to you to install on your mobile device for you to believe me.

if I no go leak all the secret wey dey your phone no be my papa born me...I go even tell you where you dey live now and send you the most recent pictures you take with your phone.

Some of you commenting here are so dumb, daft and plain stupid, Sadly, you can easily access google from your phone and research what I posted yet you still too lazy to even do that simple task.
Feel free, I can have a screen record session while installing.
Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2021
optionalY09:

Absolute trash

for this nonsense we will not use vpn we will use VPS

Exactly my point, a VPS or RDP is a far better option. You don't have to install anything on your device, Just login to a pre-configured server in US and surf the internet while you are still in Ijebu-Ode.

5 Likes

Re: This Is How A VPN Can Actually Expose Your Bank Data [PHOTOS] by KingOfAmebo(m): 4:55pm On Jun 26, 2021
kiddie:

How does keylogger relate to HTTPS?

What's the effect of HTTPS when you have a keylogger running in the background of a victims computer while recording every keystroke from victim's keyboard or keypad and sending the victim's bank login details, fingerprints and everything that is copied and pasted by the victim?

My friend no level of encryption or security can prevent a hacker from stealing your details if dey reason your matter.

Hackers are always one step ahead of web security experts, infact, all security experts are hackers thats why they are differentiated as black hat hackers and white hat hackers.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Beaten Across Lagos State / SGF Akume: Federal Government To Provide ₦‎200 Billion For Cultivation Of Land / 2015: INEC To Create 30,000 Additional Polling Units.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.