Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,863 members, 7,876,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:06 PM

Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty (16746 Views)

Togo President, Faure Gnassingbe Abolishes Presidential Election / Drama In Sierra Leone As Corpse Walks To The House Of Ritualist That Killed Her / Saudi Arabia Abolishes Flogging As Punishment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Limassol(m): 8:06pm On Jul 23, 2021
dfrost:

You are right in a way. But what exactly is the root cause of high crime rate?
i don't really know. But in the case of Nigeria; persistent unemployment,acute poverty, illiteracy,extrimism,dysfunctional families, neglect and corruption by the authorities could all be factors.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by thundafire: 8:17pm On Jul 23, 2021
Some of u saying,it will reduce crime really makes me laugh. USA hasn't abolished death penalty but some states have done that and it hasn't reduced any crime in state that still issue out death penalty
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:19pm On Jul 23, 2021
gentleman82:
Repent now of your sinful evil ways to avoid spending your eternity in hell fire after you die. Jesus Christ love and warns you to repent and convert now to Christianity to avoid hell fire. Only Jesus Christ can save you by his death on the cross and his blood which washes away your sins, any other ways ( Islam, paganism, Hinduism, atheism, etc) can not save you. Be wise while you still have the chance accept Jesus Christ now and save your soul from hell. Be wiser than Satan and follow the one true God

You need a tight slap in your ass.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by bodybuilder: 8:34pm On Jul 23, 2021
dfrost:

And has that deterred them from the act? undecided

Yes. Because the number doing the crime will be more without the punishment. Determent doesn't mean total eradication.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Davidonkonsults: 8:54pm On Jul 23, 2021
Pavillon:

Not in Nigeria anyway, you attempt suicide and everyone shows compassion on you.

I read about Euthanasia and it seems legal in some country. Although the legality is still been debated in these countries. Majorly Moral and religious reasons.
Unless the authorites are not aware.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/30/health/imprisoned-suicide-illegal-nigeria-intl/index.html
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 9:04pm On Jul 23, 2021
Limassol:
you did'nt properly understand my point,do you? By the way, your whataboutism won't change the fact incancerating people on death row for long period of time particularly older inmates is a waste of taxpayer money. Don't be fooled by human right activists; even in the US - seen as bastion of human rights and democracy firmly allow some states to carry out the death penalty. That said, so you honestly belive hardened muderers can out of the blue become good citizens? How naive could you be bro!
whatever man! Saving tax payers money by Sending criminals to their deaths is your idea of reducing crimes? Mates there are no such thing as that, the US goverment doesn't even do such, did you know that prisoner actually work in Jail in the US? Prisonners contrubutes into the US economy through free labour they do in prison.

You are the naive one! If You have never met a murderer who became a better citizen, i have. How do you know i am not even one? cheesy talk about naivety!

How much taxes did you pay last year? Or this year? If you ve never paid any taxes Stop yarning dust about saving tax payer money, government provides money through budgets every year to look after prisoners govt. Do not need to save money by killing prisoners, maybe nigzoogerian govt does. My government do not do such.

It is not up to government to decide if they should save tax payer money by murdering criminals. Did you know that the families criminal can also be or are tax payers?
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Ofon4real20: 9:22pm On Jul 23, 2021
Good evening please my little niece Emma need urgent surgery , I already exhausted my little saving getting his first surgery , he need money to under go another surgery , please your urgent help is needed to save his life , He's current admitted at LASUTH , Ikeja and the PAEDIATRICS section , B_ surgery wards do you can go donate in person , thank you all
Mfon Edet
Access bank

Here is before and now pic

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by dfrost: 9:52pm On Jul 23, 2021
danietohbadt:

Lol, you're very funny.

You're using Iceland as a case study.
isn't it?

You're using a country that has less than 380k people living in the entire country as an example.

A country that could barely field eleven professional footballers at the World Cup.

Who doesn't know Iceland is a peaceful country?

Infact, as of today, Iceland is regarded as the safest country in the world, and that's largely due to its low population.

If you want to convince me, fetch me data from Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and the likes.

Afterwards, let's go to South America, starting with Mexico

Focus on context, not the location. What reasons were cited in the article?
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by dfrost: 9:57pm On Jul 23, 2021
Limassol:
i don't really know. But in the case of Nigeria; persistent unemployment,acute poverty, illiteracy,extrimism,dysfunctional families, neglect and corruption by the authorities could all be factors.

Then find out. It's better than speculating. Like someone commented, it's revenge for the victim's family.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by pacespot(m): 10:08pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ammishaddai:
This society has lost its sense of right and wrong. They haven't given enough thought to this decision and as it stands, there will be an increase in crime because criminals will no longer be threatened with the punishment of death

So killing someone for a crime is the way forward to you right? How are you dfferent from a murderer with this assertion? People can be killed through accident or provocation, etc, so stop judging what you know a little about
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by chinedumo(m): 10:18pm On Jul 23, 2021
Calitoscassius:
whatever man! Saving tax payers money by Sending criminals to their deaths is your idea of reducing crimes? Mates there are no such thing as that, the US goverment doesn't even do such, did you know that prisoner actually work in Jail in the US? Prisonners contrubutes into the US economy through free labour they do in prison.

You are the naive one! If You have never met a murderer who became a better citizen, i have. How do you know i am not even one? cheesy talk about naivety!

How much taxes did you pay last year? Or this year? If you ve never paid any taxes Stop yarning dust about saving tax payer money, government provides money through budgets every year to look after prisoners govt. Do not need to save money by killing prisoners, maybe nigzoogerian govt does. My government do not do such.

It is not up to government to decide if they should save tax payer money by murdering criminals. Did you know that the families criminal can also be or are tax payers?
free labor in prison sounds like slave labor
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 10:26pm On Jul 23, 2021
chinedumo:
free labor in prison sounds like slave labor
Yes! That is what it is, but they are prisoners if they didn't want to be used as slaves they should ve stayed away from crimes. Besides, anyone in deathrow prison would rather be a slave than be executed, wouldn't you think?
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by einsteine(m): 10:37pm On Jul 23, 2021
3minssex:

They should be executed asap. Criminals don't deserve to live.

Don't commit crime if you love your life,very simple .

Would you take a job as an executioner?
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Nobody: 12:24am On Jul 24, 2021
einsteine:

Would you take a job as an executioner?

Gladly..
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by dragunov: 2:14am On Jul 24, 2021
Ibkhaleel:
It is a goal for Satan he has now achieved it

Cretind and dunderheads everywhere.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by chinedumo(m): 3:27am On Jul 24, 2021
Calitoscassius:
Yes! That is what it is, but they are prisoners if they didn't want to be used as slaves they should ve stayed away from crimes. Besides, anyone in deathrow prison would rather be a slave than be executed, wouldn't you think?

Torture and slave trade is back
Human rights?.
Ironic.
Abolish death sent to protect Right To Life.
Join prison to abolish right to dignity/ others
Join
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Ammishaddai: 6:57am On Jul 24, 2021
[s]
pacespot:

So killing someone for a crime is the way forward to you right? How are you dfferent from a murderer with this assertion? People can be killed through accident or provocation, etc, so stop judging what you know a little about
[/s] Stop being emotional without presenting your arguments with facts.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 7:51am On Jul 24, 2021
dfrost:
Even the guy that assassinated one of the former PMs of Israel is still in prison. It mustn't always end in death for criminals.
And for murderers?
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by caye(m): 8:11am On Jul 24, 2021
TOPCRUISE:
Amnesty international can set a country on fire. Saying Boko Haram members, terrorists don't deserve death penalty. That the army should respect their rights

With this decision I hope there won't be a jail break in Sierra Leone. Because the whistle blower who got rewarded for exposing the hire killer that killed hundreds of people and the rape victim that reported the notorious serial rapist and murderer are in trouble.

The hypocrisy is this: the Amerikka still has the death penalty.

1 Like

Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 8:13am On Jul 24, 2021
chinedumo:

Torture and slave trade is back
Human rights?.
Ironic.
Abolish death sent to protect Right To Life.
Join prison to abolish right to dignity/ others
Join
Toture and slave trade? grin They are not totured or sold as slaves i don't know where you heard that from. They are only made to work, learn trades, or skills to keep themselves busy. I mean if a person is in jail for 20 years or more how would you expect them to live in prison for that long? Sit and do nothing? They get weekly money allowances also. It isn't as bad as you think. They are fed well, they go to the gym, chapel to pray, to a doctor and dentists. I know, i have been in prison.

Yes! Prisonners are protected by human rights that is why legal representatives are provided for them by the state if they could not provide one for themselves.

I didn't understand what you mean here. undecided
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Calitoscassius(m): 8:17am On Jul 24, 2021
caye:

The hypocrisy is this: the Amerikka still has the death penalty.
Some states in America not all.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by smartNerd: 8:35am On Jul 24, 2021
Nothing is [b]im[/b]possible, the word itself says “I’m
possible”! -- Audrey Hepburn
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13900059_arivercuts_jpeg_jpeg728978186a17b270e4509dd90ad61f81
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by smartNerd: 8:42am On Jul 24, 2021
I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a
product of my decisions. -- Stephen Covey

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13900158_dearpastthank_jpeg_jpegdb11b56dcd31f27e7abf4625978d6c01
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by dfrost: 10:09am On Jul 24, 2021
kingsolomonjnr01:

And for murderers?

Rehabilitation.

Do you know if you trace, one way or the other, we are culpable of crime, directly or indirectly.
Re: Sierra Leone Abolishes Death Penalty by Emiya: 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2021
the death penaty never eradicted crime itself anyway... so kudos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Donald Trump Is Back On Twitter / Nelson Mandela Is On Life Support / Russian Court Bans Facebook & Instagram, Calls Them 'extremist Organisations'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.