Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,625 members, 7,934,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 03:18 PM

Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. (26481 Views)

Unic Vilos Montessori School Teacher Arrested For Abusing A Toddler In Lagos / Parents And Babcock University Staffs Fight Over Hotel Spaces (VIDEO) / How Private School Owners Are Dubiously Cheating Their Teachers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Nuelito: 11:53am On Jul 31, 2021
Hmmm....I never marry...let me allow em parents to talk their mind on top the matter
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by barojana: 11:54am On Jul 31, 2021
Pauldollars:
There's nothing wrong with Summer Lessons. It is not made compulsory by any school in Nigeria.
Besides, Most children are usually idle during the Summer breaks and parents always prefer them engaged during that period than staying home playing from morning till night.
Leave the debate on the importance of summer lessons to parents.

The purpose of an holiday for children is for them to play from morning to night.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Riverville(m): 11:58am On Jul 31, 2021
Let children play abeg

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by pek(m): 11:59am On Jul 31, 2021
The greatest misnomer is summer lesson. Pray, when did we start having summer in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by donprinyo(m): 11:59am On Jul 31, 2021
Who u epp?

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by gassbee: 12:01pm On Jul 31, 2021
Some teachers wont like dis

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Hotspotbro(m): 12:02pm On Jul 31, 2021
Me,i never went to Summer lesson unless sapa infects our principal to urge my dad to allow me come.Just for a day ni o.the man too sef.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by MMXX: 12:02pm On Jul 31, 2021
This is somewhat true though but parents aren't complaining,so moving on

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by mcquin(m): 12:03pm On Jul 31, 2021
Interesting essay.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by skywalker95(m): 12:05pm On Jul 31, 2021
OP does not know parents would rather have their children in summer lesson than at home. If school say dem no go do, parents no go gree. Nah the truth be that.

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by uchennaq(m): 12:05pm On Jul 31, 2021
Sign of a Lazy Parent grin grin grin
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by SIRTee15: 12:05pm On Jul 31, 2021
LikeAking:

At the exp of the childs future?

I will never send my kids to summer school.

I will neve gat an home teacher/teachers for my kids.

Live is bigger than edu.

Except u plan to take them on vacation or other leisure activities....then I see no point locking kids at home for 8 weeks doing nothing.
They might as well go for summer lessons n enjoy social interaction.
It's not like u will even have time for them at home.

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Mckeni007: 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2021
If you are a parent, you will know why we send them to the lesson
Their disturbances is madness

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Vinnie2000(m): 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2021
Wow..
Nice Topic from the OP!!
Dis are the Kinds of topics I like..
Boyfriend and Girlfriend has Overshadowed dis Site!!..

OP..
The Summer lesson is caused by Competition among Private Skuls..
Most Schools particularly Makeshift (Kpako) Schools organize dis lessons to Snatch, 'Steal' or Protect Students..

One Church Skul used dis Bad Tactics in my Area..
During Covid-19 lockdown, dey started Lesson n told the kids to wear Facemasks..
Dier fee was N5000 and Parents dat likes Cheap articles rushed dier all kids to the school..
When Corona Virus ended, The Skul owner begged and Cajoled the parents dat his school is the Best.. sad
Dats how he STOLE doz students from the School dey were Attending B4.. undecided smiley

So Inorder not to Lose Students, All diz Private Skuls Organize holiday lesson by Force!! sad

5 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by khadaffi(m): 12:07pm On Jul 31, 2021
LikeAking:

At the exp of the childs future?

I will never send my kids to summer school.

I will neve gat an home teacher/teachers for my kids.

Live is bigger than edu.

When you have kids you can choose to do whatever you like with them. Summer lessons are not compulsory. I'm not aware of any school making it compulsory. I'm even trying to think if I've seen any government school in Benin City conducting summer lessons.

For me during this period I personally teach my kids once in a while though just to know how they're catching up. But most parents are the one requesting for the lesson because of the nature of their job. They usually want somewhere comfortable and safe the child can stay till they return from work.
Once there is demand for a product, the product (service) will be available.

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by OnyeFely: 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2021
Parents should send their kids and wards to learn one skill or the other that will be beneficial to them in future. Education is good, but in Nigeria of today, ọ e needs to have one skill or the other.

4 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by sammirano: 12:11pm On Jul 31, 2021
Personally, i have never supported any school learning for kids during holidays. Its a time to refresh, have fun for them Edu. Sys in Nig is upside down. Well my children will never be subjected to such fate

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Vinnie2000(m): 12:12pm On Jul 31, 2021
SEGLIZ:
the greed on the part of school owner. what disgust me most is their dumb and silly excuse of children brain becoming dull before resumption.

what a nasty excuse to milk unsuspecting parents.

My Brother..
Der are some Children that are like dat oo..
Once they re at home for like 4 weeks, dey Forget Everything Academics!!

Even 2 x 5 nah problem.. shocked cheesy

My Uncle's 6,7 yr old kids are@Home all Day Watching Jimjam, DisneyJunior n even Zeeworld.. shocked sad
If u ask Dem some things in School, dey will be looking@you like Statue.. cheesy cheesy
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by gabicon: 12:14pm On Jul 31, 2021
LiveLifeHub:
Vacation is here again. Time for students to rest and experience life outside the four walls of a school. But Summer Lesson has been abused and misused. Both parents and their wards have no idea what summer break should entails.

I stumbled on a letter on the net recently, which I deem fit to be shared here for the benefit of parents and their children.

Dear Parents,

A child will go to school by 7am and close by 5pm for five days out of the seven days in a week.

During weekends that child comes home with many assignments in all the subjects he or she is offering in school and at such, there won’t be time to rest and play at the weekends.

The child does that for almost four months hoping to enjoy the holidays only for the school (in collaboration with the parents) to come up with an unnecessary activities in the name of holidays lesson.

What exactly do you want to teach that child again at this period? Is it what he or she learnt in the just concluded session or what they will learn next term?

Dear Nigerian parents, summer holiday is a period you allow a child to experience other things in life apart from formal education.

Allow them to travel for the vacation and if you do not have money for that, take them to places where they will learn new skills.

http://goldeneducationalhub.school.blog/2021/07/21/parents-stop-abusing-summer-break/

It all depends on how you view it, most parents don't go on summer breaks, they have to go to work, hence they need a place to keep their wards while they are away. With the rise in crime in our society, It might not be wise to ferry a child to an artisan or skilled person that you can't trust, in all honesty the person might not be bad but what of those hanging around the person? The last thing we need is a rape, molestation, bad influence etc. one of the best place to keep children occupied is summer school, they are in proximity with their pairs and they have supervision. It's good that children explore the world and the opportunity it brings but trust me our society doesn't give them these opportunities we just haven't evolved. An uninformed child is better than a broken child.

4 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by temitope27(m): 12:16pm On Jul 31, 2021
Ezedon:
In Nigeria Private Schools,
School Fees each term = +/- 250k
Average Teachers salary = 20k
What a world
that kind of school, they av like less than 10 students in a class

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Fakbrown: 12:17pm On Jul 31, 2021
Sometimes I wonder what keeps them in school for that long, my little nephew of 5years comes back home around 5'O clock, me that don't like school, it gets me tired

3 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Ayo2004: 12:20pm On Jul 31, 2021
Summer lessons is not good
Contrary to the beliefs of most Nigerian parents,book no be everything...

Enroll your kids in a football club(mostly guys,aswr,many of your kids are more talented than some European league talents),take them to studios if they can sing and make music instrumentals,let them learn fashion designing,encourage them to join dance groups where they can blow on tiktok,ig and Facebook at an early age and be cashing out...let them not do what they genuine like and not forcing them to go to school

Many of una parents go school understand how this skills and talents dey blow many people but una ignorant mentality go still dey focus on school wey don cast for here

4 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Vinnie2000(m): 12:21pm On Jul 31, 2021
SIRTee15:

Except u plan to take them on vacation or other leisure activities....then I see no point locking kids at home for 8 weeks doing nothing.
They might as well go for summer lessons n enjoy social interaction.
It's not like u will even have time for them at home.

Just like my Uncle's Kids..
Wen I visited
They were@Home DOING NOTHING!!
They watch Cartoons n even Zeeworld all day. shocked sad

While
Some in my area, When I pass, I see Dem Watching Rema's Booty Bounce n other Naija Songs on dier TV.
I just SMH..
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by rezzy: 12:27pm On Jul 31, 2021
Vinnie2000:

Wow..
Nice Topic from the OP!!
Dis are the Kinds of topics I like..
Boyfriend and Girlfriend has Overshadowed dis Site!!..

OP..
The Summer lesson is caused by Competition among Private Skuls..
Most Schools particularly Makeshift (Kpako) Schools organize dis lessons to Snatch, 'Steal' or Protect Students..

One Church Skul used dis Bad Tactics in my Area..
During Covid-19 lockdown, dey started Lesson n told the kids to wear Facemasks..
Dier fee was N5000 and Parents dat likes Cheap articles rushed dier all kids to the school..
When Corona Virus ended, The Skul owner begged and Cajoled the parents dat his school is the Best.. sad
Dats how he STOLE doz students from the School dey were Attending B4.. undecided smiley

So Inorder not to Lose Students, All diz Private Skuls Organize holiday lesson by Force!! sad

So on point

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Sheuns(m): 12:28pm On Jul 31, 2021
flemsy15:
Government primary/secondary schools were designed to dismiss around 2pm every day. Sometimes I wonder what is complicated in the syllabus that they now stay up till 5pm, Has the syllabus been expanded or what? Most departments in the universities hardly stay up to 5pm daily. As that's not enough, holiday lessons are now added. Pupils/students of nowadays dey try shaa

Government schools still close by 2pm. It’s mostly private schools that keep children in school until 5pm and this is due to their parents asking the children to do extra lessons due to the fact that they may still be at work by 2/3pm.

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Ayo2004: 12:31pm On Jul 31, 2021
gabicon:

It all depends on how you view it, most parents don't go on summer breaks, they have to go to work, hence they need a place to keep their wards while they are away. With the rise in crime in our society, It might not be wise to ferry a child to an artisan or skilled person that you can't trust, in all honesty the person might not be bad but what of those hanging around the person? The last thing we need is a rape, molestation, bad influence etc. one of the best place to keep children occupied is summer school, they are in proximity with their pairs and they have supervision. It's good that children explore the world and the opportunity it brings but trust me our society doesn't give them these opportunities we just haven't evolved. An uninformed child is better than a broken child.
U obviously don't know about summer school
Different kind of new kids from different environment come new schools to chill,meet new babes,cute guys and mingle.In summary,Nigerian summer schools are just to chill and have fun.If your kid is not well disciplined and we'll exposed,e go surely spoil

Parents who are sending their kids to summer school solely because of their work issues are only thinking short-term and not long term.Invest in their skills and talents and they will forever be grateful.It It is the fashion designing my brother learnt during summer holidays that feeds his family,built his house,bought his car and even provides for his extended family while his first class accounting degree dey sleep for inside file

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by molu: 12:34pm On Jul 31, 2021
I agree with this, but schools calling for summer lessons should engage the children more in social activities than formal teachings.

2 Likes

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by Vinnie2000(m): 12:35pm On Jul 31, 2021
FutureIsFemale:
Holiday is a time for rest not a time for learning.

You are advising parents against "holiday lessons" while encouraging "learning new skills". What is the difference there?
Allow those kids to rest joor.

What do you mean by Dey Should REST?
Never heard of the Old saying Dat d Idle Mind is the Devil's Workshop?

D Children in my area
Dey watch Rema's Booty Bounce n Other Explicit Naija Songs on TV..
Is dat Resting??

So, the OP is correct somehow..
If Parents cannot Enrol Dem in Skills Acquisition, Put Dem in Summer lesson.. sad smiley

1 Like

Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by FutureIsFemale(f): 12:36pm On Jul 31, 2021
Vinnie2000:

What do you mean by Dey Should REST?
Never heard of the Old saying Dat d Idle Mind is the Devil's Workshop?

D Children in my area
Dey watch Rema's Booty Bounce n Other Explicit Naija Songs on TV..
Is dat Resting??

So, the OP is correct somehow..
If Parents cannot Enrol Dem in Skills Acquisition, Put Dem in Summer lesson.. sad smiley
Never heard of the saying; " All work and no rest make Jack a dull boy"?
Re: Parents And School Owners; Stop Abusing Summer Break. by lexy2014: 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2021
Pauldollars:
There's nothing wrong with Summer Lessons. It is not made compulsory by any school in Nigeria.
Besides, Most children are usually idle during the Summer breaks and parents always prefer them engaged during that period than staying home playing from morning till night.
Leave the debate on the importance of summer lessons to parents.

Pls what's wrong with children staying home playing morning till night after a long period of academic activity?

If u discussing d importance of summer school to parents, why is d childs role in all this not important?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses / Students Attack Osun Radio Station In Violent Protest (Photos) / JSS 3 Exam Fees: Private Schools Parents Besiege Lagos Exam Board For Refund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.