Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,640 members, 7,930,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 12:25 PM

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic - Computers (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic (28948 Views)

Lwhere Can I Get Lenovo E520 Power Ic In Phc / IC Diamond Thermal Comound Needed / URGENTLY In Need Of Gigabyte Motherboard Power IC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 3:13pm On Jan 28, 2022
PART NUMBER: LA-E811P
FAULT : NO DISPLAY

This laptop was brought in for no display issue,I check all coils to see if voltage is available and processor was working fine.

I remove the BIOS chip and insert it into my programmer, backup the old file to see the BID number because this PC uses different type of BID number even though they are the same board.

I found out that the BID number was different from what I've been seen on this motherboard,this was done by another engr because I noticed the bios have been program before.

This is the error some engrs make, they check via model number instead of board number ( base on readymade BIOS) if you're building it yourself ,you can get it with model number from manufacturer site.

I decided to use the common BID number of this mobo ,I write the new bios ,place the chip back on the motherboard and powdered it on.

Mobo came back to life, the previous engr used a wrong BIOS on the motherboard that's why it didn't display.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:24pm On Jan 28, 2022
Part number : 6050a2514101
Fault : Dead

No physical damage
No short
19v ok
3.3v/5v standby IC ok

Still no power, I reprogram the bios and mobo comes back to life.

Where do you think the problem comes from and why did I reprogram the BIOS chip?

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:14pm On Jan 29, 2022
Part number : 6050a2483801
Fault : Dead

When you connect charger,the charger indicator keep blinking orange and white light.

No physical damage
VIN line impedance ok
Standby coils impedance ,5v coil short to ground.

Check if it is input or output short
Inject volt and the culprit was found.
Remove and replace the culprit and mobo is back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:43pm On Jan 31, 2022
Part number: 6050a2460201
Fault : power on and off.

This HP 840 G1 was brought in for bios repair, after writing a new BIOS,the problem still persist,so i told the technician to bring out the mobo.

I press the power button,it powers on for 5 secs and shutdown.

19v line is ok
3.3v/5v power IC is fine
I proceed to check the SIO requirements, I open the schematic diagram and check the necessary pins ,and they were ok.

After pressing pwr button, Slp_s3# and slp_s4# was missing.
Slp_s4# was 1.4v and slp_s3# 0.0v

With this, then there is only one possibility, which is Soc is dead but before concluding we have to confirm other things.

Check the impedance of slp_s4# and slp_s3# and it was fine.
RTC (CMOS) is the first power that goes to the PCH section, check the impedance of RTC diode,it was ok, rtc_rst# with only CMOS battery was fine,same with intruder#

The impedance of main BIOS pin 8 was ok too which means Soc is not short,so what then is the problem?

What do you think could be the problem?

Job was fix in less than 30mins.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 5:25am On Feb 05, 2022
Part number : 6050a2723701
Fault : Dead.

Mobo was brought in for repair,the charging port was bad and need replacement.

Well to get this port is scarce but there is always a way out.
Job done with a little hack.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:32pm On Feb 06, 2022
Part number : 6050a2466401

Fault: Restart with no display.

This mobo was brought in for repair, since it's a typical fault with this model of elite book,i knew that a secondary volt was missing.

Sometimes this kind of fault can come from 19v or power IC line but this case was different.

VIN line was okay
3.3v /5v line was ok
1.8v coil and vcore volt was missing but before that I have to check DC/DC section.

I found the culprits in this section,remove and replaced the two N-channel MOSFET and mobo was okay.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 8:15am On Feb 08, 2022
Part number : 6050a2560201
Fault : power on,shows the HP logo and off

This is a common fault among the 3rd gen to 6th gen elitebook laptop.

Fault was definitely coming from the power button to sio,the SIO was getting 1.98v instead of 3.3v.

Sometimes there are errors in the schematic diagram one need to watch out for, the R101 resistor was open and according to the schematic it is a 100k ohms resistor,I replaced it with another 100k ohms resistor but problem persist, until I replace with a 1k ohms and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:14pm On Feb 08, 2022
Dv6000

Fault : dim display

The engr tested more than 3 modules but problem persist.

After checking i found out that signal was missing,and had to draw a jumper.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:41pm On Feb 16, 2022
Part number: Day22amb6e0

Fault: Dead

Charger led light glows but mobo doesn't turn on.
No physical damage
No short to ground

3.3v/5v ldo available but no coil voltage.
Check SIO requirements and everything is fine yet no power.

Where do you think the problem comes from?
Hint: NSBWON# is available on SIO but not on power button connector.

Mobo works fine now.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:43pm On Feb 17, 2022
Part number: 6050a3022501
Fault: dead

This 840 g6 was brought in for repair.

No physical damage
Impedance ok

I connect the charger and 19v is available but stop at drain of Q6000.

I checked the impedance of the MOSFET and noticed it was short with reading of 0.003,i replace it with another N-channel MOSFET and 19v is fully available on the motherboard.

Board works fine after.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Adewale1603(m): 9:57pm On Feb 17, 2022
udemzyudex:
Dv6000

Fault : dim display

The engr tested more than 3 modules but problem persist.

After checking i found out that signal was missing,and had to draw a jumper.
whats the signal for
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Deicide: 2:37pm On Feb 18, 2022
My laptop is not coming on, I was using it in a friend place, his current was kinda shaking so it got the laptop to switch off cause the laptop doesn't have any battery. I tried to turn it on again when the power was stable but laptop only blinked white light on the power button and then off. It refused to come on again. Can this be fix or I would have to get a new laptop?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:11pm On Feb 18, 2022
Deicide:
My laptop is not coming on, I was using it in a friend place, his current was kinda shaking so it got the laptop to switch off cause the laptop doesn't have any battery. I tried to turn it on again when the power was stable but laptop only blinked white light on the power button and then off. It refused to come on again. Can this be fix or I would have to get a new laptop?

It can be fix,if you're in lag you can reach me on 08064724259
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:12pm On Feb 18, 2022
Adewale1603:
whats the signal for

It's part of the supplies to the module that helps to light up the screen.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Deicide: 11:54pm On Feb 18, 2022
udemzyudex:

It can be fix,if you're in lag you can reach me on 08064724259
I am not in lag but things like this how much would it take to fix. Like a range
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 11:05am On Feb 19, 2022
Deicide:
I am not in lag but things like this how much would it take to fix. Like a range

One will have to check the extend of damage before concluding.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Deicide: 11:37am On Feb 19, 2022
udemzyudex:

One will have to check the extend of damage before concluding.
I know that's why I say you should give a range? And there is no internal damage or burns or anything
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by jonandez: 12:46am On Feb 23, 2022
udemzyudex:
Most times client do call and require for the amount it will cost to fix a laptop power IC, I believe they always come to this conclusion after taking their laptop to an engineer who just try to sum up everything for them.
While some just want to reduce the cost of repair by asking for the specific amount one can get the IC then add the workmanship to determine how much they can pay for fixing the job.

The truth is, it is not always the power IC that is the culprit for not making your laptop to power on.
The power on process of your laptop involves a lot of process, and if one is missing then there will always be an issue.
There are more than 3 chips and IC, and each of this chip and IC must meet a specific requirement to enable them work accordingly to fulfil that process of turning on your laptop.

Note that this is just to power it on, and doesn't involve the process it takes to make it display to desktop.
We have the :
1. VIN section
2. Charging IC
3. Standby IC (power IC)

4. ICH/PCH/Soc(depending on the architecture)

5. SIO a.k.a controller
6. RTC section
8. BIOS

Every chip/IC listed above is involve in one way or the other to power on your laptop.
I would have love to go into full details but that's not the main purpose of this thread.

You can see that the process is long and as a technician, one must know the basic requirements for every ic/chip and confirm that every requirement is met before he/she can identify which is bad.

I remember asking a client for the part number of the power IC he needed and he didn't know it, every laptop motherboard have a specific IC, some are interchangeable while some are not, the truth is the power IC is not even expensive, you can get 10 pieces for as low as #3000 or less depending on the type.
Now the problem is are you sure the power IC is really the problem? Imagine spending money to buy something and it doesn't work after replacing it?
When a technician fix your gadgets, you're not paying for components, you're paying for his/her experience.

Fixing a dedicated graphic laptop will likely take more time than fixing an old model because even though they almost follow the same power on process, recent technologies will require a different approach and it will cost more time and price of components will be high too.

The best thing to do is negotiate, talk to 2 or more competent technician and see the one that will help you fix it at an affordable price, some technician also charge base on the model of your laptop.
Boss ... I need ur help...
My laptop stopped charging I even thought it was the charging port.. we changed it and it's still not working but the technician is saying we need to change the panel but something is telling me it isn't the panel
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 1:55am On Feb 23, 2022
jonandez:

Boss ... I need ur help...
My laptop stopped charging I even thought it was the charging port.. we changed it and it's still not working but the technician is saying we need to change the panel but something is telling me it isn't the panel

What's the model of the laptop?

On desktop is it showing plugin charging or plugin in not charging?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by jonandez: 9:10am On Feb 23, 2022
udemzyudex:

What's the model of the laptop?

On desktop is it showing plugin charging or plugin in not charging?

It's an hp laptop....
When I plug the charger it does not on the light that show it's charging ...
But the battery is low as of now...
I feel it's the ic power chip
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:12am On Feb 23, 2022
jonandez:

It's an hp laptop....
When I plug the charger it does not on the light that show it's charging ...
But the battery is low as of now...
I feel it's the ic power chip

Oh which means it doesn't even turn on at all,well if you're not really certified with what the previous technician says you can check another technician for confirmation or see if he can fix it.

If you're in lag you can reach me on 08064724259
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by jonandez: 11:03am On Feb 23, 2022
udemzyudex:

Oh which means it doesn't even turn on at all,well if you're not really certified with what the previous technician says you can check another technician for confirmation or see if he can fix it.

If you're in lag you can reach me on 08064724259
It turns on.. only that the battery is dead..
It stopped charging when I was using it.. I though it was a minor issue so I used it till the battery was drained but it still refused to charge..
M at Oyo btw
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 1:18pm On Feb 23, 2022
jonandez:

It turns on.. only that the battery is dead..
It stopped charging when I was using it.. I though it was a minor issue so I used it till the battery was drained but it still refused to charge..
M at Oyo btw

Oh ok,I have someone in Ibadan, challenge.
I can give you his contact if you want.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by jonandez: 1:59pm On Feb 23, 2022
udemzyudex:

Oh ok,I have someone in Ibadan, challenge.
I can give you his contact if you want.
Ok thanks ... I school at Ajayi crowther uni..
May I get his contact
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Looter100: 4:33pm On Feb 23, 2022
Sir I fit die I dey come lag Friday my t470 is coming on with no display I diagnosed the beep error it's a display cable issues stuff I'm scared of board issues what troubleshooting should I do sir abeg
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:47pm On Feb 23, 2022
Looter100:
Sir I fit die I dey come lag Friday my t470 is coming on with no display I diagnosed the beep error it's a display cable issues stuff I'm scared of board issues what troubleshooting should I do sir abeg

How many beeps?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Chinks(m): 3:49pm On Feb 24, 2022
@udemzyudex please what advice can you give someone who wants to learn computer repairs? I plan going to a technician here in minna where I reside. Thank you in anticipation.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 5:48pm On Feb 24, 2022
Chinks:
@udemzyudex please what advice can you give someone who wants to learn computer repairs? I plan going to a technician here in minna where I reside. Thank you in anticipation.

Learn chip level repair,so you will be able to fix mobo issues too.

I have someone in minna,his name is engr Isah.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Looter100: 5:44am On Feb 26, 2022
udemzyudex:

How many beeps?
0288 been sir
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Chinks(m): 10:06am On Feb 26, 2022
I'll be glad if you can connect me with him. Alternatively, you can send me his contact so that I'll be able to speak with him. Thank you.
udemzyudex:

Learn chip level repair,so you will be able to fix mobo issues too.

I have someone in minna,his name is engr Isah.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 6:30am On Feb 27, 2022
Chinks:
I'll be glad if you can connect me with him. Alternatively, you can send me his contact so that I'll be able to speak with him. Thank you.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:22am On Mar 13, 2022
It's been a while i updated this thread, I've been very busy with other things, hopefully this week I'll continue but meanwhile let me drop this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

HELP!! "This Phone Number Cannot Be Used For Verification."- Gmail / Remove Funny Ust Scandal.avi.exe Permanently / How To Install Windows 8 On Android Phone Or Android Tablet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.