Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,640 members, 7,930,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 12:20 PM

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic (28947 Views)

Lwhere Can I Get Lenovo E520 Power Ic In Phc / IC Diamond Thermal Comound Needed / URGENTLY In Need Of Gigabyte Motherboard Power IC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:27am On Mar 13, 2022
Part number : 6050a2514101

This folio 9480 board was newly bought,but unfortunately the mobo becomes dead within 2 days of purchase,there was a physical damage on the sio chip,it got burnt and there is no way it can't be returned since there is a physical damage.

I removed the burnt on and replace with another sio,this is a non programmable sio chip so there's no need to reprogram after fixing.

Mobo turns on and work well.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:45pm On Mar 18, 2022
Part number : 6050a2560201
Part number : 6050a2637901

Fault: shows HP logo and power off

These mobos were brought in for repair with same fault,this is a common fault for this elitebook especially the folios,840 g1 and g2 and zbook with same mobo.

Immediately I press the power button,it will turn on,show the HP logo and power off.

Power button was getting 2.2v instead of the required 3.3v,the resistor on this track was open, I replaced with a 1k ohms resistor and 3.3v is always at the other end.

If you replace with a Mili ohms it will work as a short pad or above 1k ohms which work as protection,the resistance will drop.

Exact 1k ohms is perfect.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 9:52pm On Mar 18, 2022
Part number: 6050a2635701

Fault : Dead

This is a motherboard with dead case, after checking impedance I found out that 19v line was short to ground, making the mobo not to turn on.

The culprit was a caps,I remove and mobo comes back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by udemzyudex(m): 10:26pm On Apr 08, 2022
Part number : la-d562p
Fault : 225% laptop charging fault.

A Lenovo motherboard with part number la-d562p was brought in for repair.

The engr said he tried more than 3 new batteries but it keep showing 225% at the charging icon,one showed 100% but immediately he removed the charger the laptop went off.

Charging occurs between these 3 things, the battery,the charging ic and the SIO.

When battery is not fully charged,the SIO communicate with the charging ic to keep charging, cut off charging when it is fully charged, identify which power source you're using, either the battery or charger etc.

Now there are components between these lines,if faulty Will send a false signal to the sio chip and fault like 225% in some cases 100% even after trying several batteries will occur.
The solution is simple,I replaced the two components on that line and mobo works fine.

Laptop charge fine without giving the 225% error.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by fredkellz(m): 8:20am On Apr 09, 2022
Hello house i see good engineers here.please can anione help me repair my graphics card just by reading the damaged ic?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by orshore(m): 9:46am On Apr 15, 2022
Boos man. I need your help regards my laptop HP elitebook 1030 G4 . rain damaged the board and it keeps getting off at intervals. Please can it be fixed ? can i get your contact so i can whatsapp you? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 11:48am On Apr 17, 2022
Hp 2570p

This laptop was brought in for repair,it was not powering on, the person said it the BIOS is bad and need a fix.

I connected the charger to see what's wrong,and noticed that the charger light was blinking,this is a typical fault on this models like 8460p, 8570p etc the charger light will keep blinking when there is a short.

So this is a not a bios issue,I take out the mobo, noticed the bad caps,I removed and mobo works fine.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 11:49am On Apr 17, 2022
orshore:
Boos man. I need your help regards my laptop HP elitebook 1030 G4 . rain damaged the board and it keeps getting off at intervals. Please can it be fixed ? can i get your contact so i can whatsapp you? Looking forward to hearing from you.

I've already replied your post at the other thread.
Sorry I'm just seeing it.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 7:39am On May 01, 2022
Part number: DAOGD6MB8E0
Fault: Dead.

This sony mobo was brought in for repair,mobo was completely dead.
Someone already checked it and confirmed the SIO is bad and need replacement,well for me you don't change an ic until you confirm the ic is faulty and the best way to do that is either you confirm it basic requirements or you can see a physical damage on it.

Impedance was fine, 19v was present and standby ic was also fine, 3v/5v is available.

I check the basic requirements if the SIO and all was fine except for RSMRST#

The SIO will send RSMRST# to the PCH to release the SLP_S3# and SLP_S4#.

Now If SIO is not releasing this then it's either the SIO is faulty,it is not getting all basic requirements or the BIOS is corrupt.

Since all requirements are present except for rsmrst# ,we start with the simplest first, Which is reprogramming the BIOS chip.

I removed the chip and place on my bios programmer ,read it and noticed the chip was empty,I downloaded another file and write it, soldered it back to board , allow it cool and press the power button and mobo came back to life.

Took me less than 15mins, customer is happy and I'm happy too. grin

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 8:50am On May 05, 2022
Part number : La-b303p
This Toshiba board was brought in for repair, I check the board for any physical damage and there as none , then proceed to the impedance of all coils to check if there is any short but there was none.

I connect the power supply, and 19v is available on the drain of PQB03 but not at the source,I check the gate voltage and is low, which is suppose to be 25v.
Check the impedance of both MOSFET and it was okay,since the gate voltage comes from the charging ic,I decided to check the basic requirements, I noticed ACOK voltage was 0.589 instead of 3v.

I replaced the charging ic and 25v was available at the gate of PQB03 and the 19v switch to the source .
After powering on the mobo also noticed
PUH00 was heating up,I replace the ic and mobo works perfectly.

It took me less than 25mins to get it done.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 9:12am On May 05, 2022
840 G1
Part number: 6050a2560201
Fault: auto shut down.

According to the engr, immediately he connects the charger,it powers on , display the HP logo and shut down.
If he press the power button it doesn't power on,unless he remove the charger and plug it back and the circle continues.

Since this is a typical fault of this models, I replace the 100k resistor with a 20k resistor, 3.3v ldo voltage goes to the power button which was absent.
After replacing it I got 2.6v, this is enough to trigger the mobo.
Board works perfectly after that.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 8:24am On May 11, 2022
udemzyudex:
Part number : la-d562p
Fault : 225% laptop charging fault.

A Lenovo motherboard with part number la-d562p was brought in for repair.

The engr said he tried more than 3 new batteries but it keep showing 225% at the charging icon,one showed 100% but immediately he removed the charger the laptop went off.

Charging occurs between these 3 things, the battery,the charging ic and the SIO.

When battery is not fully charged,the SIO communicate with the charging ic to keep charging, cut off charging when it is fully charged, identify which power source you're using, either the battery or charger etc.

Now there are components between these lines,if faulty Will send a false signal to the sio chip and fault like 225% in some cases 100% even after trying several batteries will occur.
The solution is simple,I replaced the two components on that line and mobo works fine.

Laptop charge fine without giving the 225% error.

Part number : 6050a2560201
840 G1

Had a similar case yesterday,the technician said the battery indicator is showing 225% and not charging, when replaced with another battery it shows 100% and laptop goes off immediately the charger is removed, which means it doesn't hold charge.

I replaced the two smdata/smclk resistor and the battery shows it normal remaining percentage.
Unfortunately it didn't charge , battery start to drain even when the charger is connected.

Since it's a typical fault,I didn't bother to check other requirements,the mobo was brought back,I check charging ic requirements, check charger and battery CLR for communication and it was fine.

Check the smdata/smclk voltage on the battery terminal and noticed they were fluctuating, check ok charging ic and noticed the same thing.

Replaced charging ic, and it became stable.

Mobo now charge perfectly.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by atymat: 11:01am On May 17, 2022
Please, my laptop is faulty, it doesn’t charge. Initially it takes time to start charging after plugging the charger, but now, it doesn’t charge anymore. Could this be a charging IC issue. If it is, how much should an HP 6560B charging IC cost?
Thank you
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by atymat: 11:07am On May 17, 2022
Udemzy05:
Hp 2570p

This laptop was brought in for repair,it was not powering on, the person said it the BIOS is bad and need a fix.

I connected the charger to see what's wrong,and noticed that the charger light was blinking,this is a typical fault on this models like 8460p, 8570p etc the charger light will keep blinking when there is a short.

So this is a not a bios issue,I take out the mobo, noticed the bad caps,I removed and mobo works fine.
From the previous post, my engineer opened it up and checked some things, after that he plugged the charger and the light was blinking. He said its charging IC. My laptop is hp6560B
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 11:07am On May 17, 2022
atymat:
Please, my laptop is faulty, it doesn’t charge. Initially it takes time to start charging after plugging the charger, but now, it doesn’t charge anymore. Could this be a charging IC issue. If it is, how much should an HP 6550B charging IC cost?
Thank you

When you place the mouse on the battery icon what mag do you get?

Plugin charging or not charging?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 11:12am On May 17, 2022
atymat:

From the previous post, my engineer opened it up and checked some things, after that he plugged the charger and the light was blinking. He said its charging IC. My laptop is hp6560B

Does it power on?

Cos if the indicator light is blinking it's likely the mobo is not powering on.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by atymat: 2:56pm On May 17, 2022
Udemzy05:

When you place the mouse on the battery icon what mag do you get?

Plugin charging or not charging?
Once I checked, it was plugged in not charging. But I only checked once.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by atymat: 2:57pm On May 17, 2022
Udemzy05:

Does it power on?

Cos if the indicator light is blinking it's likely the mobo is not powering on.
No it didn't power on.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 3:38pm On May 17, 2022
atymat:
No it didn't power on.

If you're in lag you can reach me on 08064724259
I'll fix it

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by atymat: 3:41pm On May 17, 2022
Udemzy05:

If you're in lag you can reach me on 08064724259
I'll fix it
I'm not in Lagos. Is it a charging IC issue?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 9:38am On Jun 02, 2022
part number: La-9104p
Fault: dead

This mobo was brought in for repair,the engr said it doesn't power on,there was a short on the mobo because the charger light goes off immediately it is connected.

The VIN line was short to ground,after checking the impedance on CLR.
I inject voltage on the line and find the culprit,I remove and replace the non polarise caps and short was gone but unfortunately the mobo refuse to turn on.

19v is available on the mobo but no 3.3v/5v output at the coil, the impedance is fine 19v is available at the 3.3v/5v section but no output.

I opened the schematic to check the requirements of the 3.3v/5v section.
After everything,it is confirmed that the power ic is fine but still not generating output voltage.
Entrip 1 and entrip 2 was releasing the necessary volt ,the best thing to do in this type of situation is

1. Check the PWM(pulse width modulation) at the gate of the upper and lower MOSFET if it is available.
2. Replace the Polaris caps
3. Replace the power ic.

I replaced the polarise caps and the 3.3v/5v start to generate at the respective coils.

Powered on the mobo and board works.

I got same board with same fault but this one was an easy fix, I replaced the burnt component after injecting the volt and mobo was back to life.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 9:40pm On Jun 12, 2022
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 10:00pm On Jun 13, 2022
Part number : 6050a2466401
Fault: Dead
This HP 8470p was brought in for repair,after all diagnosis I noticed the standby ic was not getting the required voltage.
19v supply was not available on pin 16 of the power ic (u6100),had to trace back to get where the fault is.

D6102 diode was not passing the voltage from pin 2 to pin 1, I replaced the diode and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 10:11pm On Jun 13, 2022
Part number: DAY16EMB8C0
Fault: dead

This was a very simple fix, didn't take up to 10mins
The laptop technician was considering getting another board but decided to bring it for repair first.

There's not short on the board,all coil impedance is fine.
Charging ic (to power on the laptop section is fine)
Standby ic is generating voltage at both coils.

Fix: reprogram the BIOS and mobo works fine.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by WVTech: 10:58pm On Jun 16, 2022
udemzyudex:
Part number : 6050a2514101

This folio 9480 board was newly bought,but unfortunately the mobo becomes dead within 2 days of purchase,there was a physical damage on the sio chip,it got burnt and there is no way it can't be returned since there is a physical damage.

I removed the burnt on and replace with another sio,this is a non programmable sio chip so there's no need to reprogram after fixing.

Mobo turns on and work well.
Greetings boss, any idea where I get a variable power supply like yours at a cheap rate?, I wouldn't mind a used one. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 11:18pm On Jun 16, 2022
WVTech:
Greetings boss, any idea where I get a variable power supply like yours at a cheap rate?, I wouldn't mind a used one. Thanks.

Only new ones are available.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by WVTech: 11:31pm On Jun 16, 2022
Price please and max output amps?
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 1:03am On Jun 17, 2022
WVTech:
Price please and max output amps?

6amps ,32v

#73k
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by WVTech: 1:47am On Jun 17, 2022
Udemzy05:

6amps ,32v

#73k
Ok, thanks, way above my budget.
Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 4:29pm On Jun 19, 2022
Part number : DAG34AMB6DO
This laptop was brought in for repair,the DC Jack glow when charger is connected but it doesn't power on when the power button is pressed.

I took out the board, check the CLR and all coils impedance,they were fine.
I trigger the switch via tweezers and mobo powers on, from there i noticed the power switch could be faulty.
The power switch is connected to the extended USB port and from experience , sometimes fault always come from that section.
I check the impedance of the transistor,diode and two non-polarise caps on the power button and noticed one of the capacitor was short to ground.
I removed it and connect it back, power it and and mobo works fine.

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 5:02pm On Jun 19, 2022
Part number : LA-C811P
Fault: power on no display.

This is a funny case,the engr said it was working fine after taking it to the owner only for him to be called back.

I connect the charge and power it on, standby IC is fine, 1.3v RAM coil is also fine,no 1.8v and vcore volt on the coils.

The fact that 1.3v RAM coil is generating shows SLP_S4# is generating and there's a 80% chance that SLP_S3# will generate.
I was only assuming base on experience,cos there are situations where only one of the signals will generate.
Now when PCH generates SLP_S3# and SLP_S4# to the sio chip,the sio release susp#, sus_on, vr_on,main_on,run_on etc depending on the architecture.
This voltage will send enable voltage to 1.8v ic,1.05v ,vrm section,DC/DC section etc.

I reflow the sio chip before taking the next step , sometimes dry joint and can cause issues like this.
I connect the charger and power it on and all voltage were available, test with the screen and display comes.

Took me less than 10mins

1 Like

Re: Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic by Udemzy05: 5:24pm On Jun 19, 2022
Part number: DAOROMB6E2
Fault : power on via adapter only.

First thing first,i check both CLR impedance and noticed the battery CLR was short to ground, meaning the battery section is faulty.

I check the impedance of the discharging MOSFET and noticed it was short,I replaced with another N-channel MOSFET and short was cleared.
Connect the battery and power it on,and it works fine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

HELP!! "This Phone Number Cannot Be Used For Verification."- Gmail / Remove Funny Ust Scandal.avi.exe Permanently / How To Install Windows 8 On Android Phone Or Android Tablet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.