Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,746 members, 7,915,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:12 PM

Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI (14050 Views)

FDI: FG’s Move Against Multichoice May Discourage Investors / $600m Steel Plant Will Be Nigeria’s Highest Non-oil FDI – Gupta / Again, IMF Warns Nigeria Against Rising Debts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by adenigga(m): 8:23am On Aug 22, 2021
lampedusa:
OBJ should sharap. He is part of the problem. He is 2 faced hypocrite

Please,.......

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by tegrianonigltd(m): 8:31am On Aug 22, 2021
Beancounter94:
When the price of what we sell falls below sustenance level...we get into debt.

Throw in low taxation level...and we get into debt.

Nigeria needs to be more productive, and also needs to stop spending money a-subsidizing, and improve taxation, and fight corruption.....then we would see some improvement.

APC on the other hand is waiting for oil prices to shoot up again...

The fact is, one cannot build a successful economy on selling resources...you got to use them to be prosperous.

Excuses, nothing low in taxation, you pay tax in every thing you buy in that country, check your receipts next time, company pay taxes, heavy taxes for the big companies.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Basicend: 8:34am On Aug 22, 2021
HandsomeHITLER:
As if he also didn't steal some.
I'm not saying he's wrong, but he's guilty all the same, just too old to be ashamed.
To me they're all guilty! Debt or Theft; the effect is the same!!!
angry angry angry

Bro, Obasanjo payed all Nigeria debt. You can't compare him to this dull Fulani man.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by ecolime(m): 8:44am On Aug 22, 2021
HandsomeHITLER:
I'm not stupid... He's right about the debts, just that he's guilty all the same. Just too old to be ashamed.
Everyone knows Obasanjo stole the country blindly. I am not a fan of his. When a thread is opened about his looting of Power sector funds, we will thrash him there.

The topic at hand is about debt accumulation which should bother us all. We shouldn't always leave Subject matter and focus on distractions.

Message over the messenger first.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by NairaMaster1(m): 8:47am On Aug 22, 2021
HandsomeHITLER:
I'm not saying he's wrong, but he's guilty all the same, just too old to be ashamed.
angry angry angry

For those of you mentioning...
I am not a Buhari follower! God knows I hate the man.
I'm only arguing that these old men dragged Nigeria down. Obj is simply a lesser evil. Of the two I'll choose Obj any day, twice on a Wednesday evening self.
Debt and Theft are some of the problems eating Nigeria alive.

We should all be worried that Buhari has nothing to show for this debt.

We should also be worried that Buhari has become the most corrupt president in Africa.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 22, 2021
tegrianonigltd:

Excuses, nothing low in taxation, you pay tax in every thing you buy in that country, check your receipts next time, company pay taxes, heavy taxes for the big companies.

When 30% of your taxable population isolating taxes for the rest and tax to.gdp is 6.1% which is lower than Niger, plus our revenues come from selling resources whose prices are below what we need them to be, that is a nice way of not being rich

My post is not meant to excuse goverment. It is meant to point out how government ruins our economy.

Thank you very much
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 8:49am On Aug 22, 2021
And forget about the rest abi? No wahala cheesy
NairaMaster1:

We should all be worried that Buhari has nothing to show for this debt.

We should also be worried that Buhari has become the most corrupt president in Africa.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by NairaMaster1(m): 8:50am On Aug 22, 2021
Beancounter94:
When the price of what we sell falls below sustenance level...we get into debt.

Throw in low taxation level...and we get into debt.

Nigeria needs to be more productive, and also needs to stop spending money a-subsidizing, and improve taxation, and fight corruption.....then we would see some improvement.

APC on the other hand is waiting for oil prices to shoot up again...

The fact is, one cannot build a successful economy on selling resources...you got to use them to be prosperous.

Well spoken, but can we point at any tangible from this debt?

Bro, that's the issue. The looting under BUHARI is unprecedented.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 8:51am On Aug 22, 2021
Not when the messenger is also wanted for crimes angry angry angry
ecolime:

Everyone knows Obasanjo stole the country blindly. I am not a fan of his. When a thread is opened about his looting of Power sector funds, we will thrash him there.

The topic at hand is about debt accumulation which should bother us all. We shouldn't always leave Subject matter and focus on distractions.

Message over the messenger first.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 22, 2021
huptin:

Under Obasanjo oil price was $9 the highest it got to was $70 yet he paid off debts he inherited even with the low taxation. Oil price has been hovering above $50 for at least a year now why is Buhari still borrowing?

1. Obasanjo got 66.7% of the debt forgiven. He did not pay off the 66.7, he paid off the remainder

2.Our forex needs have risen a lot since 2006

3. Even then we were still running a broke ads economy then. A lot of economists back then criticised the Obasanjo payoff.

4. We were back on debt by 2009.

5. We are in debt because ultimately we depend on revenue from goods whose prices are never at the level we want them to be.

6. Buhari is still a failure in that he has not redirected our economy from a oil dependent economy to a productive and industrial economy.

Thank you very much
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 8:53am On Aug 22, 2021
It's not an argument... I actually get the point on a brighter note.
But I'm choosing to look at the darker side too wink wink
KillingIsFun:
OBJ eradicated Nigeria's debt and left Nigeria debt free when he left office. Do you guys even study recent history?

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Nobody: 8:54am On Aug 22, 2021
NairaMaster1:

Well spoken, but can we point at any tangible from this debt?

Bro, that's the issue. The looting under BUHARI is unprecedented.

Well we have to find a way from dependency on oil to dependency on using our raw materials to make goods that benefit the world.

Which is what Buhari is failing to do. Instead he is focusing on drilling for more oil and looking for more raw materials to sell . At the end of the day the prices would still be too low to sustain us and we would still be in debt
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 8:55am On Aug 22, 2021
Just listen to yourself!! Stealing is a norm?? SMH
huptin:

What is he guilty of? Did he go about borrowing money allnover the world or did he not attract FDIs?

Stealing is a norm in Nigeria but despite stealing under OBJ did the economy not grow massively. Learn to separate stealing from incompetence.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by ecolime(m): 8:55am On Aug 22, 2021
HandsomeHITLER:
Not when the messenger is also wanted for crimes angry angry angry
What stops the current administration through EFCC and others from probing him? He should be taken in if found culpable.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by KillingIsFun: 8:57am On Aug 22, 2021
The Aso Rock dullard is the darker side of everything bad in this country, from the poor economy to insecurity.

HandsomeHITLER:
It's not an argument... I actually get the point on a brighter note.
But I'm choosing to look at the darker side too wink wink
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Verysmart101: 8:57am On Aug 22, 2021
HandsomeHITLER:
angry angry angry

I'm only arguing that these old men dragged Nigeria down. Obj is simply a lesser evil. Of the two I'll choose Obj any day, twice on a Wednesday evening self.

His hands are not clean but b4 he stepped down from office,he cleared majority of Nigerians foreign dept on like ur Godfather Buwari who is borrowing the future of this country to extinction
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 8:58am On Aug 22, 2021
Are you denying that he stole money? Especially under the power sector? Mr. Informed.
I'm in the know of his good deeds but unfortunately I also know of his evildeeds.
Chucks234:

It is suprising that you are so uninformed. A little trip to google will improve your knowledge of what OBJ did for Nigeria. He fought for its existence during the civil war and also ensured you were free from debt and all you can think of is he is part of the mess. Please go and borrow a brain.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 9:00am On Aug 22, 2021
Don't call Buhari my godfather... I go vex for you oh!!
Verysmart101:

His hands are not clean but b4 he stepped down from office,he cleared majority of Nigerians foreign dept on like ur Godfather Buwari who is borrowing the future of this country to extinction
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 9:01am On Aug 22, 2021
I agree with you on this one! cheesy
KillingIsFun:
The Aso Rock dullard is the darker side of everything bad in this country, from the poor economy to insecurity.

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 9:02am On Aug 22, 2021
The dysfunctional system of Nigeria's justice.
ecolime:

What stops the current administration through EFCC and others from probing him? He should be taken in if found culpable.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by zombieHUNTER: 9:06am On Aug 22, 2021
HandsomeHITLER:
angry angry angry

Only a zombie robot will leave the message to attack the messenger..

You are suffering from Buhari zombiesm without even knowing it.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by AmuRubber(m): 9:11am On Aug 22, 2021
nograv:

Bros at this point anyone could do a better job than Buhari..

If you ruled for all Nigerians you would instantly be doing a better job..

Tackle the herdsman problem properly, prosecuting those who don't respect private property you would instantly be doing a better job..

Tackle Boko Haram and IWASP properly, attacking these insurgents in their strongholds and prosecuting those who surrender and executing those guilty of war crimes.. You would instantly be doing a better job..

Engaging Yoruba, Igbo, Delta and Tiv groups to address their grievances with the current setup of Nigeria. Bringing those who resorted to violence to book. You would instantly be doing a better job..

Reducing senator salaries to below those of advanced Western nations you would instantly be doing a better job..

Performing a true census to know how many Nigerians there actually are in each state then allocating funding to states on the basis of need you would instantly be doing a better job..

Demanding each state performs a yearly audit to see how the federal allocations are actually spent you would instantly be doing a better job..

Spend less time flying abroad and more time visiting each state to see progress in person you would instantly be doing a better job..

Stabilising the economy through massive infrastructure investment. Better roads, Rail, Portand Air connections.. Projects must have to have economically sound reasons before being built, unlike the railway line to Niger you would instantly be doing a better job..

Also the above infrastructure projects must be carried out by native Nigerian companies. Nigerian companies are capable as the new Oshodi terminal has shown.. doing this you would instantly be doing a better job..

Reopening Southern Borders and securing all of them to stop the migration of illegal immigrants who increasingly settle in Nigeria you would be doing a better job.

Since we have repeatedly failed on power and water distribution. Setup turn key projects for power, water and sewage like Dubai or Singapore. Where foreigners build and maintain for 100 years with a proper planned handover process to native Nigerians you would instantly be doing a better job..

Allocate special city status to larger conurbations like Lagos, Abuja, Onitsha, Kano etc. With increased funded to get them to a developed status. This would spur urbanisation, investment and overall wealth creation like in China. This would immediately mean you are doing a better job than the vegetable..

Prosecute all politicians and public servants of either party found to be guilty of corruption, with immediate execution if found guilty. Do that and you would be doing better than Buhari

Bros there are so many things anyone with common sense could do, to improve the lot of people in this nation.

Buhari is an uneducated illiterate so he doesn't have any ideas..

You, sir, have won the internet today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by HandsomeHITLER(m): 9:18am On Aug 22, 2021
If after my explications you're still stuck with your madness then it's okay. Goodbye farewell
zombieHUNTER:

Only a zombie robot will leave the message to attack the messenger..

You are suffering from Buhari zombiesm without even knowing it.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Malawian(m): 9:22am On Aug 22, 2021
complexBoss12:
Buhari doesn't care whether Nigeria thrives or burns, just give Fulani your lands, govern Nigeria with Sharia law and elect a Fulani Emir in ur communities and everybody will have Peace.

Don't forget to convert to Islam!
Nothing will bring peace with Fulani. Even after all that, they will continue to rape and kill you guys in perpetuity.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:44am On Aug 22, 2021
While in office, the former president visited the country’s creditors and was able to get debt forgiveness for the country.

However, since assuming office six years ago, the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), had been accumulating debts for the country.

This is the summary...

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Ikpeyi: 10:01am On Aug 22, 2021
Baba has the moral right to say this...

He reduced our debt as president...though he didn't do much on infrastructure which the present government is doing....

Hon Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba for 2023....
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by NairaMaster1(m): 10:07am On Aug 22, 2021
Beancounter94:

Well we have to find a way from dependency on oil to dependency on using our raw materials to make goods that benefit the world.

Which is what Buhari is failing to do. Instead he is focusing on drilling for more oil and looking for more raw materials to sell . At the end of the day the prices would still be too low to sustain us and we would still be in debt

Our leaders won't agree with you. It's a pity we are not industrialising with our explosive population.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 22, 2021
NairaMaster1:

Our leaders won't agree with you. It's a pity we are not industrialising with our explosive population.

Indeed we got to industrialize. Oil is not enough for all of us
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by nograv: 10:19am On Aug 22, 2021
AmuRubber:

You, sir, have won the internet today.

Thank you..

I love my country, I just want to see it change for the better..
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Honeylaz(m): 10:43am On Aug 22, 2021
Are you looking for a professional and competent photographer within Ibadan?? Seek no further. Get your dream photography Now!!! We capture it all. We're always available for your events such as, Wedding, Church/Mosque service coverage, Naming ceremony, Burial, Corporate, Birthday shoot, etc. Book an appointment with us today.
Call or Watsapp: 08101851156.

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by kudinkarfe: 11:09am On Aug 22, 2021
LegalWolf:

Looool OBJ “forced” Buhari on you? Did he point a gun to your head while telling you to vote for that failure? Or he did same for over 13 million people that voted for him?

You need to learn how to take responsibility and don’t blame anyone for your failure
Do you still believe that votes count in Nigeria, anybody the king makers anointed becomes the next president. You will believe me when Adesina of African development Bank become your
next president. Actually Obasanjo has great influence and edge over other King makers.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by BbqTormentor: 11:28am On Aug 22, 2021
Smartini:
At least we know foreign investors such as DSTV, ShopRite, MTN and co came into Nigeria during OBJ's tenure as president of Nigeria.

But I'm yet to see a single foreign investor that has birthed itself on our shores for the past 10 years.

Nigeria has one of the worst business environments for foreign investors, and why? Because most of our headlines being displayed on the media to the global audience has more negative content than positive content.

Nigeria is being promoted to foreign investors as an unlivable country bedevilled by insecurity, crime, political instability, bad roads and no electricity. And that's why Ghana has suddenly become the investor's paradise in West Africa.

Last time I checked, 1 cedi = 0.17 $US as at this morning

Nigeria can continue on this path to eternal doom. cry cry cry We'll be here to give the country a warm farewell
this is saddening...in all these, one useless vulturegrilling animal will keep chanting praises for useless buhari. Na that one dey vex me pass I swear.

This degenerate of a president is not supposed to have a supporter among the masses, because we are all suffering his cluelessness and maladministration..

Except of course the vulturegrilling schmuck has his fingers in the country's pie too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Godfrey Chikwere Regains Freedom After Spending Days In Police Custody / Turnout For PVC Collection Very Encouraging - INEC / Peter Obi & Datti Visit The Palace Of Emir Of Dutse, Jigawa State (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.