Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,140 members, 7,887,296 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:13 AM

Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI (13998 Views)

FDI: FG’s Move Against Multichoice May Discourage Investors / $600m Steel Plant Will Be Nigeria’s Highest Non-oil FDI – Gupta / Again, IMF Warns Nigeria Against Rising Debts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by LegalWolf: 11:33am On Aug 22, 2021
kudinkarfe:

Do you still believe that votes count in Nigeria, anybody the king makers anointed becomes the next president. You will believe me when Adesina of African development Bank become your
next president. Actually Obasanjo has great influence and edge over other King makers.

But in 2019, OBJ wanted Buhari out. In fact, he literally “campaigned” for Atiku. So, what happens? Or it doesn’t count? See, we need to stop blaming others for our apparent faults. Obj can’t do more than to advice and air his opinion. It is the politicians, the moneybags, thugs, NURTW that actually determine how election goes in this country. You cant blame any one individual for imposing this disaster of a president on us.

You and I may disagree, but I think we both are in sync that Buhari is a disaster ?

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by magzey: 11:46am On Aug 22, 2021
Let him bring back some of the monies he stole and the salaries he was using Nigeria wealth to pay his farm workers ,so that the debt will reduced.
This man to dey talk rubbish

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by huptin(m): 12:15pm On Aug 22, 2021
Beancounter94:

1. Obasanjo got 66.7% of the debt forgiven. He did not pay off the 66.7, he paid off the remainder

2.Our forex needs have risen a lot since 2006

3. Even then we were still running a broke ads economy then. A lot of economists back then criticised the Obasanjo payoff.

4. We were back on debt by 2009.

5. We are in debt because ultimately we depend on revenue from goods whose prices are never at the level we want them to be.

6. Buhari is still a failure in that he has not redirected our economy from a oil dependent economy to a productive and industrial economy.

Thank you very much

1. Who worked for it? Buhari?
2. So? It has to! its called development, Birth rate keeps going up so it is normal
3. dose economists are the ones that have deceived Buhari to keep borrowing, we are using over 70% of our income to service dents if he had ot paid those debts how would Nigeria be surviving now?
4. That is Buhari's fault
5. This govt is totally lacks ideas that's all
6. i agree with this

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Buckeyemedia1: 12:51pm On Aug 22, 2021
complexBoss12:
Buhari doesn't care whether Nigeria thrives or burns, just give Fulani your lands, govern Nigeria with Sharia law and elect a Fulani Emir in ur communities and everybody will have Peace.

Don't forget to convert to Islam!
Mumu no wonder you have nothing, slave mentality, Buhari these, President Buhari that, has the President been to your state to launch any project by your state Governor? Ingrate.
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Buckeyemedia1: 12:53pm On Aug 22, 2021
LegalWolf:

But in 2019, OBJ wanted Buhari out. In fact, he literally “campaigned” for Atiku. So, what happens? Or it doesn’t count? See, we need to stop blaming others for our apparent faults. Obj can’t do more than to advice and air his opinion. It is the politicians, the moneybags, thugs, NURTW that actually determine how election goes in this country. You cant blame any one individual for imposing this disaster of a president on us.

You and I may disagree, but I think we both are in sync that Buhari is a disaster ?
A man hypocrite Obasanjo swore that God will never forgive him, if he ever supported? I am sorry for the future of Nigeria, a bad tree can never yield good fruits.

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 22, 2021
sigh
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 22, 2021
huptin:

1. Who worked for it? Buhari?

Was I defending Buhari, or was Buhari president in 2006.?

Plus the debt releif was part of a general debt releif for several African countries...and some got All their debt forgiven then. All their debt..like Niger, Ghana, Benin , etc. We got 66.7% of our debt forgiven.

2. So? It has to! its called development, Birth rate keeps going up so it is normal

Yeah, which is why we have to become an industrial nation, not an oil dependent nation. It is because we are a dutch diseased nation that we don't earn enough money for our needs.

3. dose economists are the ones that have deceived Buhari to keep borrowing, we are using over 70% of our income to service dents if he had ot paid those debts how would Nigeria be surviving now?

We get into debt because we rely on selling raw materials whose prices we don't control. That is why I have said on this site times without number that Nigeria needs to become more and more of an industrial and productive economy...which is an indictment of the current admin, because they are not taking us there

I am not a Buhari defender, and I do not excuse his regime. I also do not like PDP. And it is for the same reason. Get it.

4. That is Buhari's fault

That we were back in debt by 2009? Was he president in 2009...or did you read my post clearly?

Again we got back into debt because oil...our major earner, was not high enough to sustain us. It is how we got into debt in the first place...you know the debt that Obasanjo got forgiven...and yes, Obj contributed to the debt too...

5. This govt is totally lacks ideas that's all

What do you think I have been saying? Why are you people so fixed on the ridiculous idea that we have enough money? We don't. And where I blast this government is that they are not doing the things we need to make us enough money!
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Dreamhighnow(m): 1:12pm On Aug 22, 2021
HandsomeHITLER:
As if he also didn't steal some.
I'm not saying he's wrong, but he's guilty all the same, just too old to be ashamed.
To me they're all guilty! Debt or Theft; the effect is the same!!!
angry angry angry

For those of you mentioning...
I am not a Buhari follower! God knows I hate the man.
I'm only arguing that these old men dragged Nigeria down. Obj is simply a lesser evil. Of the two I'll choose Obj any day, twice on a Wednesday evening self.
Debt and Theft are some of the problems eating Nigeria alive.

No offense pls. obasanjo has every right to criticise buhari high profile borrowing. Did you know obasanjo lift Nigeria from big debt and save the biggest in our foreign reserves? so do ever compare obasanjo to the calamity called buhari

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Harrisonwo(m): 1:13pm On Aug 22, 2021
Until we do away with ethnicity, we will always go round in cycle. Some political post (appointments) should be strictly by merit irrespective not who's affected.
For instance, the minister of finance should be someone who has been through the rigors of private sector (finance) and has made a mark there and not someone who has been only active in the public (govt) sector.
Same applies to finance, agriculture, petroleum, education, justice and sci n tech. These sector should only be man by seasoned professionals because the future of any nation is hedge on them. The rest can be shared the way they want

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by seunayantokun(m): 1:24pm On Aug 22, 2021
When you have terrorists in government.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by kudinkarfe: 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2021
LegalWolf:

Do you think Obj was truly supporting Atiku? Obj will never forgive Atiku for for stopping third time agenda and if Obj is alive Atiku will never test that position. Obj is the most intelligent politician of all time as far as Africa is concern.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by Babastrong(m): 6:13pm On Aug 22, 2021
[quote author=kingsman66 post=105048958]But why. The question meant for the gods
Re: Obasanjo decries Nigeria’s rising debts, low FDI by akdjr(m): 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2021
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Am Optimistic Obiano Will Soon Be Released- Soludo / Interview With Mrs Remi Obasanjo: (OBJ's First Wife) / Governor El-Rufai queue to Cast his votes at his polling unit in Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.