Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,688 members, 7,892,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 04:58 PM

Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration (1465 Views)

Lagos, O’dua Group And Economic Integration Promise / Surmountable Obstacles Against South-east Regional Economic Integration / Results In Southwest Favours Buhari, Jonathan Only Won Ekiti State.(RESULTS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by ektbear: 8:56am On May 20, 2011
Ondo State will participate in the proposed regional economic integration of the Southwest, Governor Olusegun Mimiko has said.
He said the six states would reap the benefit of economy of scale from the exercise.

The governor dismissed insinuations that his state may not be disposed to the idea because it is not ruled by the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), stressing that such insinuations were myopic.

Mimiko told reporters in Akure, the state capital, that the idea would live beyond the life span of political parties and accelerate the development of the zone.
He said: "What I am saying is let’s talk about the idea and let us key into the ideas about integration. Ideas will outlive parties. Supposing tomorrow there is no ACN or Labour Party government again? The first thing is that we should first of all discuss the central theme and agree on all the modalities, so that if the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) comes back in Ondo State, God forbid, they can key in and continue. Will anybody be averse to integration? Integration within the context of the fact that we have contiguity. We have almost the same history and, approximately, the same value system.

"And we can create a bigger market and benefit from the economy of scale. If, for example, I want to build a power plant, leveraging on gas, Ekiti does not have to pipe gas all the way to Ado-Ekiti from Ore. So, we can build a big power plant there and distribute it".

Mimiko said the regional economic initiative should not be reduced to a party affair, stressing that Southwest should only continue to strive after free and fair elections.
He said: "Sincerely, it is not a party thing. It is an idea we must key into. All we can say is to hope and pray that free and fair and credible elections will be sustained in Nigeria. Once it is sustained, if any party emerges in any state tomorrow, once it derives its mandate from the people, it does not matter whatever name it is called. I don’t want political terrorism of Labour Party or ACN.
"I don’t want to exchange the near feudal mindset of PDP leadership in the Southwest . It is idea that we should be talking about. We must not emphasise parties. We should emphasise ideas and credible elections. If tomorrow in any of the Southwest states, there is the Kukuruku Party of Nigeria, if the people say that is what they want, then, they will have to continue with the idea because integration is ultimately for the benefit of the people.

"I am a lucky Nigerian in a way. I thank God I am still standing tall in my state, despite the fact that I have changed party several times. I moved from AD to PDP, to Labour Party."

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/6850-mimiko-ondo-will-partake-in-southwest-economic-integration.html
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by ektbear: 8:57am On May 20, 2011
Well said.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Gbawe: 9:50am On May 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Well said.

Indeed. What is written below is ideological soundness and top reasoning illustrating what some of us have touted ,non-stop,  on Nairaland with the message being that steadfast adherence to development ideology and a commitment to amiable cooperative interdependence (demonstrated by Mimiko) is all the SW needs in terms of a solid template for effective governance.

We don't need federal positions because we are not feudalistic or protectionist any longer. Events , without doubt, should now make us understand that we can control our pace of development far better when we work together for the same goals . Our focus should now be very different .  It is heartening to see that SW folks and their leaders now see through the deceptive governance fog deliberately created by the PDP so that disarray , enabling some to continue feeding fat, is the order of the day. we dont need the feudalistic distractions of jostling for FG Carrots appointment that simply renders us impotent as long as the FG is not genuinely committed to the reforms required to transform Nigeria. 

Mimiko said the regional economic initiative should not be reduced to a party affair, stressing that Southwest should only continue to strive after free and fair elections.
He said: "Sincerely, it is not a party thing. It is an idea we must key into. All we can say is to hope and pray that free and fair and credible elections will be sustained in Nigeria. Once it is sustained, if any party emerges in any state tomorrow, once it derives its mandate from the people, it does not matter whatever name it is called. I don’t want political terrorism of Labour Party or ACN.
"I don’t want to exchange the near feudal mindset of PDP leadership in the Southwest . It is idea that we should be talking about. We must not emphasise parties. We should emphasise ideas and credible elections.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Pharoh: 10:00am On May 20, 2011
Right way to go because party affiliations should not impede economic integration and cooperation.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by ayinba1(f): 10:58am On May 20, 2011
I don't really trust this dude. All SW governors better watch out for a saboteur! "Nuff said.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Gbawe: 11:08am On May 20, 2011
ayinba1:

I don't really trust this dude. All SW governors better watch out for a saboteur! "Nuff said.

He stands to lose the most if his intentions are less than genuine. I can understand your distrust of him though.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by aljharem3: 11:46am On May 20, 2011
ACN=LP

Asiwaji Company of nigeria = Lagos sw Paropoism
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Kilode1: 11:51am On May 20, 2011
. . .but of course, he has to partake and participate. It's a no brainer really.

Iroko cannot be a saboteur of SW progress.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Rhino5dm: 12:39pm On May 20, 2011
Good one there. . . .Iroko joooor! Gba si be! !! !
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by EkoIle1: 2:26pm On May 20, 2011

"And we can create a bigger market and benefit from the economy of scale. If, for example, I want to build a power plant, leveraging on gas, Ekiti does not have to pipe gas all the way to Ado-Ekiti from Ore. So, we can build a big power plant there and distribute it".

I truly admire the sense of communal reasoning and the act of brotherly love depicted in this quote.

I wish them all a lot of success.

This is serious demystification and rejection of the presence and influence of the federal government, unfortunately, others around the country are still sitting around waiting and begging the federal government to help tie their shoes for them
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 20, 2011
We are watching!
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 20, 2011
Indeed.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by dayokanu(m): 2:47pm On May 20, 2011
SW ppl at it again
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Gbawe: 3:16pm On May 20, 2011
Eko Ile:

I truly admire the sense of communal reasoning and the act of brotherly love depicted in this quote.

I wish them all a lot of success.

This is serious demystification and rejection of the presence and influence of the federal government, unfortunately, others around the country are still sitting around waiting and begging the federal government to help tie their shoes for them

I would have thought the PDP has done far more than enough for most of their representatives to be chased away with very big sticks. Alas , it is democracy at work. What words of enduring wisdom from Fela when he surmised that Nigerians love "suffering and smiling".
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by sbeezy8: 10:54pm On May 20, 2011
lb-acn might have rifts but mimiko has always championed regional integration.

even before other ACN govs
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by sbeezy8: 10:58pm On May 20, 2011
lagos ondo ogun osun ekiti oyo - can you have a better dream team? All the states gold, education/universities, hospitals, agriculture,oil gas real estate banking industry seaports proximity to ghana benin togo---> rest of west africa ( probably the most traveled region to leave/enter nigeria by road) - can you ask for a better dream team?

surrounding states better hop on the SW TRAIN!
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by aljharem3: 2:03am On May 21, 2011
sbeezy8:

lagos ondo ogun osun ekiti oyo - can you have a better dream team? All the states gold, education/universities, hospitals, agriculture,oil gas real estate banking industry seaports proximity to ghana benin togo---> rest of west africa ( probably the most traveled region to leave/enter nigeria by road) - can you ask for a better dream team?

surrounding states better hop on the SW TRAIN!

watin sef angry angry angry na only una angry abeg go sidon angry
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by EkoIle1: 2:28am On May 21, 2011
Gbawe:

I would have thought the PDP has done far more than enough for most of their representatives to be chased away with very big sticks. Alas , it is democracy at work. What words of enduring wisdom from Fela when he surmised that Nigerians love "suffering and smiling".

Well, PDP can not do anything, it's just not part of their make up. The PDP is a group of people with only one thing in mind and that's to look after their pocket, unfortunately, some regions in Nigeria are not politically sophisticated enough or have any history of political agitation to make make any difference, talk less seek accountability and a better life.

Going by our history in the SW, we've shown that we are ready to die or go to jail for what we believe in as depicted by many of our past and present leaders from Awo, to Pa Ajasin, Wole Shoyinka, Gani, Fela and his mother, Abiola, Bola Ige, Sholarin, Tinubu and many more, they all confronted and refused to bow to the establishment and instead of selling out, they went to jail or sacrificed their lives.

Sadly, the other regions have a long long way to go, placing your future and the future of your grand kids in the hands of our very corrupt, crooked and incompetent federal government and always begging them to do even the basic sounds not only foolish, it's pure dereliction and gross irresponsibility.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by jimmysho(m): 6:26am On May 21, 2011
I dont know why some folks are not objective and positive for once. what is d essence of SABOTAGE comment at this stage. to me, such remark is rather childish, no offence intended
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Mynd44: 9:21am On May 21, 2011
I see this as a chance for the ones among them with less than average ideas to take notes and if they don't understand, ask questions
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by chino11(m): 10:05pm On May 21, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Yorubas keep talking, no wonder an average yorobaman have massive mouth. Other regions are moving to greater height. With all these talks show by your rascal rulers southwest states still wears old looks and dirtiness. I marvelled at the documentary of CNN on lagos as the center of environmental chaos. We are not talking about states pf oson, ogun, ondo, oyo, eketi that appears worse, with the state capitals cutting the image of caves with shrines and mud houses adorning the streets in the 21 century. You guys should first and foremost embark on urban reformation and cleansing instead of going into a white elephant political projects that will never be implemented.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by EkoIle1: 1:59am On May 22, 2011
A New Beginning in the South-West?

[b]

It was to be expected that the Action Congress of Nigeria would sweep the Yoruba-speaking states of the South-west in the just-concluded elections. All that was required was a level playing field.

The only fly in the ointment is Ondo State, where the Labour Party holds sway and where the governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, has openly voiced his problems with the ACN hierarchy. This is a pity although not necessarily terminal. A dissenting voice is a check on overweening power and thus good for democracy, especially in a country where 'government of the people, by the people, for the people' still has shallow roots. Moreover, Mimiko himself shares many of ACN's progressive ideals as derived from Chief Obafemi Awolowo's Action Group in the 1950s and early 1960s, and Unity Party of Nigeria in the 1970s and 1980s: people-oriented policies (free education, free primary health care, public housing etc), and a diversified economy based on industrialisation and the infrastructure required to support it.

In other words, for the first time since the demise of the old Western Region following the 15 January 1966 military coup, and with it the long years of centralising military dictatorship, the South-west is now in a position to set its own agenda. It is telling, in this regard, that all of the states concerned are in the process of establishing a Ministry of Regional Cooperation in order to draw up a blueprint on the way forward. This will include the long-overdue railway line linking all the state capitals and extending to Benin, ACN also being in power in Edo State. One can immediately see the advantage to the economy of the region which hosts West Africa's busiest port but is currently constrained by a road network unable to cope with the efficient movement of a large volume of people and goods.[/b]

Not that the idea is new, only that it now stands a chance of being realised, but with one proviso, and a serious one at that. This is The Nigerian Railway Corporation Act, 1955, as amended in 1990, which gives the Federal Government monopoly of the country's railways. The fact that this, the oldest public utility in the country is in such a parlous state is indication enough of the Federal Government's failure despite repeated contracts awarded at mind-boggling sums, but then the same is also true of all other areas the centre insists on monopolising - power, roads, even conducting a census - with what dire results Nigerians are daily forced to live with. As the major opposition to PDP (ACN also made a strong showing in the National Assembly elections in Benue, Kwara and Plateau states), the party is in a position to negotiate the end of an Act (as amended) which is so clearly against the wider national interest.

Given the above, it is heartening to learn that ACN has rejected any notion of joining a Government of Nation Unity, as PDP is currently canvassing for reasons best known to the party. Gaining a working majority is the goal of any political party anywhere in the world, which can then proceed to implement its manifesto without the tiresome horse-trading that plagues all such governments. PDP does indeed have a manifesto but it hedges on all fronts, for instance that it will 'ultimately provide free, functional education at all levels', 'ultimately' here obviously being measured in decades, however ultimately 'functional'; conversely,

Governor Fashola of Lagos State, the lone ACN standard bearer until the stunning reversals in Ekiti, Ondo and Osun, was re-elected with a huge majority on the basis of clear-cut policies which he simply implemented.

The ability of a defined region of six or seven states to work together in a coordinated manner for a common purpose will immediately simplify an otherwise burdensome process by releasing the resources - human as well as material - for the urgent work in hand. That this has already started happening is shown by the example of the Igbara-Odo road which links communities in Ekiti and Ondo states. Each state simply resurfaced its own side without recourse to a Memorandum of Understanding drawn up by each state's Ministry of Works with all the bureaucracy entailed, not the least of which are the kickbacks without which nothing can happen. This was exactly the kind of cooperation which signally failed to happen between Lagos and Ogun states in the dispensation now drawing to a close, with the result that Lagos was unable to utilise land in its 'sister' state to help house its ever-expanding population.

This newspaper has argued tirelessly for the enthronement of true federalism, which was how Nigeria came together as an independent nation all those years ago. Here at last is the chance to begin the process of doing just that, and with it realisation of our much-touted potential.

Our editorial perspectives on what should be the preparation of the different Geo-Political zones for the incoming dispensation is thus concluded.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201105190541.html

Happy days are here again.

SW o ni baje o
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by EkoIle1: 2:04am On May 22, 2011
The made my day, I feel so happy,

The ability of a defined region of six or seven states to work together in a coordinated manner for a common purpose will immediately simplify an otherwise burdensome process by releasing the resources - human as well as material - for the urgent work in hand. That this has already started happening is shown by the example of the Igbara-Odo road which links communities in Ekiti and Ondo states. Each state simply resurfaced its own side without recourse to a Memorandum of Understanding drawn up by each state's Ministry of Works with all the bureaucracy entailed, not the least of which are the kickbacks without which nothing can happen. This was exactly the kind of cooperation which signally failed to happen between Lagos and Ogun states in the dispensation now drawing to a close, with the result that Lagos was unable to utilise land in its 'sister' state to help house its ever-expanding population.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by ektbear: 3:07am On May 22, 2011
Nice article.

How they figure out how to wrestle the rail networks in the SW from the FG and rehabilitate them, I don't know.

Will be interesting to see.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by apoti(m): 3:39pm On May 22, 2011
chino11:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;D Yorubas keep talking, no wonder an average yorobaman have massive mouth. Other regions are moving to greater height. With all these talks show by your rascal rulers southwest states still wears old looks and dirtiness. I marvelled at the documentary of CNN on lagos as the center of environmental chaos. We are not talking about states pf oson, ogun, ondo, oyo, eketi that appears worse, with the state capitals cutting the image of caves with shrines and mud houses adorning the streets in the 21 century. You guys should first and foremost embark on urban reformation and cleansing instead of going into a white elephant political projects that will never be implemented.

Sharap dia, fhucking eeediot , must u display your stooopidity at all times angry
can't you see everyone on NL is trying to move away from ethnic bigotry, and you have refused to use your senses

you have 117 posts and more than 100 are tribalistic. I just think you need to grow new cells in your brain
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by dempeople(m): 10:27pm On May 22, 2011
[size=14pt]@ekt_bear,[/size]

I'm very happy for the SW and particularly, the ACN for having the foresight for such progressive development ideas. It shows that Nigeria can really do better along regional lines. I just hope they keep it up and not procrastinate later on cos that will set the regional development backwards in years.

The SE has the South-East Nigeria Economic Commission  (SENEC) which they want to use as a vehicle for regional development and are pretty serious about it. I'm excited about the SE and SW. The SS already has the NDDC which unfortunately, hasn't lived-up to expectations.

Mimiko reminds me of Peter Obi who despite from another party, is actively involved in socio-political and infrastructural developments in Anambra and other SE states.

They should all keep it up. We all deserve better from our governments.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 22, 2011
God bless Ekiti and Ondo state kiss kiss
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by EkoIle1: 10:45pm On May 22, 2011
dem_people:

[size=14pt]@ekt_bear,[/size]

I'm very happy for the SW and particularly, the ACN for having the foresight for such progressive development ideas. It shows that Nigeria can really do better along regional lines. I just hope they keep it up and not procrastinate later on cos that will set the regional development backwards in years.

The SE has the South-East Nigeria Economic Commission  (SENEC) which they want to use as a vehicle for regional development and are pretty serious about it. I'm excited about the SE and SW. The SS alrea

dy has the NDDC which unfortunately, hasn't lived-up to expectations.

Mimiko reminds me of Peter Obi who despite from another party, is actively involved in socio-political and infrastructural developments in Anambra and other SE states.

They should all keep it up. We all deserve better from our governments.

Obviosly, you show face here to talk about your SE while hiding under SW, this is about SW, not SE. If you feel like running mouth about your SE, kindly go and start your own Topic and I hope its not going to be a lie like your last topic. Must you people always leech on other people?

1 Like

Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by dempeople(m): 10:53pm On May 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

God bless Ekiti and Ondo state kiss kiss

Oh yes. God bless the SW, Southern Nigeria and Nigeria. It is well with all of us.  wink
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by aljharem3: 10:59pm On May 22, 2011
Eko Ile:

Obviosly, you show face here to talk about your SE while hiding under SW, this is about SW, not SE. If you feel like running mouth about your SE, kindly go and start your own Topic and I hope its not going to be a lie like your last topic. Must you people always leech on other people?

watin sef, it is not all about sw u know angry
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by buffny: 11:30pm On May 22, 2011
chino11:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Yorubas keep talking, no wonder an average yorobaman have massive mouth. Other regions are moving to greater height. With all these talks show by your rascal rulers southwest states still wears old looks and dirtiness. I marvelled at the documentary of CNN on lagos as the center of environmental chaos. We are not talking about states pf oson, ogun, ondo, oyo, eketi that appears worse, with the state capitals cutting the image of caves with shrines and mud houses adorning the streets in the 21 century. You guys should first and foremost embark on urban reformation and cleansing instead of going into a white elephant political projects that will never be implemented.

i dont blame you , i blame the white man for putting clothes on ur back. now u wan talk. shut up joh. go and clean up your gargbage city aba and onitsha and all other rubbish cities in ala igbo.
Re: Mimiko: Ondo Will Partake In Southwest Economic Integration by EkoIle1: 11:43pm On May 22, 2011
alj_harem:

watin sef, it is not all about sw u know angry

This thread is about the SW and the topic says SW.

Can you read and comprehend?

(1) (Reply)

With 4 Ex-supreme Court Justices, I Will Nail Cjn – Salami / Rochas Impersonating Gej In Slovenia And Kosovo / Video Uploaded!!!! Farouk Taking The Bribe Dollars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.