Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,790 members, 7,879,438 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 06:24 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (314) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1242987 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:31am On Mar 12, 2022
AgentXxx:
shocked Scary criteria in there... Hmmm, i might to have a rethink.... but minimum of how long do you think one could get all of the license done if one would like to settle for it? Or are they other lucrative driving jobs? Also how is leather and shoe industry in London faring? I have skills/certification in leather works most especially footwear.. does it pose as a fast way of getting employment?

Thanks for your honest feedback.... God bless

If you have been driving in Nigeria, it would take you much longer to pass the UK driving test............

Remember, you have 2 stages to qualify for a full UKDL ........

You must first pass the theory test, before you proceed to practical........

It's not impossible, but safe to have a practical lesson budget of between 10-25 lessons......... At about £20 per lesson........

Also remember, immediately you pass your Driving test, you cannot immediately apply for a PCO license, make you no go kill pésin pickin..... cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 10:36am On Mar 12, 2022
Ralphlauren:

The key strategy for securing US visit visa as a first time applicant resident in the UK is to demonstrate recent travel history within Europe.

Unlike Nigeria, the consular officers don't really care about or ask for bank statements. What they look at is recent travel history (flipping the pages of your passport), the information provided on your online application (your job title, your gross income and detailed explanation of your job description/roles/responsibilities) and your attitude, confidence and answers provided during the interview.

People have been in the UK for 1 to 4 years and they've never bothered to visit anywhere in Europe as tourists yet they want to fly all the way to America to visit Times Square ??

In summary, apply for schengen visa and visit any European country of your choice at least once or twice. Then apply for US visa as a TOURIST with an intention to vist a city known as a tourist location. e.g. New York for 7 to 10 days.

Current students - speak to your international office and they will provide you the letter you need to apply for schengen visa. Those with part time or full time jobs - you need your payslips.

Fat account balance is not required for schengen visas. As long as your account balance equals the multiplication of the daily subsistence (i believe its around 30euros a day) and the number of days you plan to stay in Europe. E.g. you plan to visit for 5 days, all you are required to evidence in your account is minimum 150 euros. Cheap tickets are available from budget airlines especially for journeys during the week. Cheap accommodation can be sourced from the likes of booking.com and lastminute.com. Affordable travel insurance can be purchased from price comparison sites.

Its standard 2 years for Nigerians even for renewal. Ghanaians get 5 to 10 years when they renew. To the best of my knowledge, Dropbox doesn't apply in the UK.

Cc aopecy hustla SamReinvented

I think this travel experience before getting a US visa is a myth. I had an empty passport when I applied for my first US Visa back in 2013. And I was given a visa, over the years, my colleagues with empty passports applied and got theirs as well. Just have a valid reason for traveling to the US, have the right information for the places you’ll be visiting, be confident when speaking to the Clearance officer and have home ties. Just ensure your information remains consistent when you apply for future visas. You’ll be fine.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 11:09am On Mar 12, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Nothing like cold calls, from someone in business.........

Can people generally understand you, when you speak ?...?

Lol, yes.
What I meant was not that I cannot be understood, but the fact that people generally associate the Nigerian man with some kind of nefarious intent grin, just the same way all those scam calls here in the UK come in with Indian voices.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 11:11am On Mar 12, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I think this travel experience before getting a US visa is a myth. I had an empty passport when I applied for my first US Visa back in 2013. And I was given a visa, over the years, my colleagues with empty passports applied and got theirs as well. Just have a valid reason for traveling to the US, have the right information for the places you’ll be visiting, be confident when speaking to the Clearance officer and have home ties. Just ensure your information remains consistent when you apply for future visas. You’ll be fine.

I tend to agree, but I think people on student visas are still seen as possible flight risks from their biased standpoint.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:11am On Mar 12, 2022
AgentXxx:
shocked Scary criteria in there... Hmmm, i might to have a rethink.... but minimum of how long do you think one could get all of the license done if one would like to settle for it? Or are they other lucrative driving jobs? Also how is leather and shoe industry in London faring? I have skills/certification in leather works most especially footwear.. does it pose as a fast way of getting employment?

Thanks for your honest feedback.... God bless

London is expensive. You said your wife is going to Bradford, have you considered the cost of maintaining 2 homes? Or does your wife intend to stay in London with you? No one can give you a minimum time frame as it depends on several factors the most challenging, in my opinion, being getting a driving licence.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:25am On Mar 12, 2022
MichaelUde:

MlThe gentlemen whose contact details you shared here - would they be open to receiving cold calls from Nigerians with heavy Igbo accents - i.e. could you give or have you previously given them a heads-up that you've recommended them elsewhere?

Thanks.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 11:26am On Mar 12, 2022
cheesy you pass your message with a great sense of humor ... really grateful for the head up... I have been driving for about 15years driving experience in Lagos, have registered with Uber here in Nigeria , that should be a plus right? smiley... how person go fit jam person pikin? More details
Lexusgs430:

If you have been driving in Nigeria, it would take you much longer to pass the UK driving test............

It's not impossible, but safe to have a practical lesson budget of between 10-25 lessons......... At about £20 per lesson........

Also remember, immediately you pass your Driving test, you cannot immediately apply for a PCO license, make you no go kill pésin pickin..... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:32am On Mar 12, 2022
AgentXxx:
cheesy you pass your message with a great sense of humor ... really grateful for the head up... I have been driving for about 15years driving experience in Lagos, have registered with Uber here in Nigeria , that should be a plus right? smiley... how person go fit jam person pikin? More details

Still looking for the Uber Nigeria plus, in the UK ........ grin

Nah afresh you go start o ...... Different jurisdiction, different legislations/regulations..........

Once you get your UKDL, your driving experience, dials back to 0 year's........ Sorry o ...... grin

Is your Nigeria license, oluwole or original FRSC issued........ grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:34am On Mar 12, 2022
MichaelUde:

Lol, yes.
What I meant was not that I cannot be understood, but the fact that people generally associate the Nigerian man with some kind of nefarious intent grin, just the same way all those scam calls here in the UK come in with Indian voices.

Download a voice changing app ........... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 11:37am On Mar 12, 2022
Hmmm thanks for this, then I probably have consider staying around Bradford’s vicinity....
dustydee:

London is expensive. You said your wife is going to Bradford, have you considered the cost of maintaining 2 homes? Or does your wife intend to stay in London with you? No one can give you a minimum time frame as it depends on several factors the most challenging, in my opinion, being getting a driving licence.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 11:39am On Mar 12, 2022
Bros you are cracking me up, it’s Original from the FRSC... No comment on the leather industry ...
Lexusgs430:

Still looking for the Uber Nigeria plus, in the UK ........ grin

Nah afresh you go start o ...... Different jurisdiction, different legislations/regulations..........

Once you get your UKDL, your driving experience, dials back to 0 year's........ Sorry o ...... grin

Is your Nigeria license, oluwole or original FRSC issued........ grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 11:43am On Mar 12, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Download a voice changing app ........... wink

That would probably make me sound like an Indian instead, shebi na dem dey develop all these apps. cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 11:45am On Mar 12, 2022
AgentXxx:

Lol, Nigerian driving experience na liability, Lagos driving experience na double liability.
But Bradford might make you feel at home, its as if that place is almost totally Asian.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:52am On Mar 12, 2022
MichaelUde:

I tend to agree, but I think people on student visas are still seen as possible flight risks from their biased standpoint.

On the contrary this gives them leverage! Even better with group travels, applying with fellow classmates! smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 11:53am On Mar 12, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

It goes without saying that London will offer your husband more opportunities than Bournemouth would, just like Lagos offers more opportunities than Enugu or Akure, however unsalubrious Lagos/London might be.

Glasgow is another city that offers some good opportunities for finance professionals.

Correct.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:56am On Mar 12, 2022
Amarathripple0:

On the contrary this gives them leverage! Even better with group travels, applying with fellow classmates! smiley
Totally agree with this

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 11:56am On Mar 12, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Do you have a FULL UK DRIVING license

Do you have a PCO license

Do you have a PCO registered vehicle

Are you already registered with UBER UK

Do you understand the UK road networks (sat nav would help too)..... But basic knowledge is VERY IMPORTANT .........

SO YOU SEE ......... NO IMMEDIACY HERE ....... cheesy

I hope you're coming with loads of ££££'s to buy an Uber ready vehicle ........ Would cost you about £10,000.......

If you are low on ££££'s, you can hire an Uber ready vehicle....... (About £400 per week)...... I think ...... grin

So think this your UBER plan wella ......... wink

Nothing like gragra for UK.

Everything takes time

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by MichaelUde: 12:01pm On Mar 12, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Ah well, we agree to disagree.
I dont see any particular advantage in a US visa application process in being a student on a tier 4 visa with little or no income and a Nigerian passport.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 12:08pm On Mar 12, 2022
Chai!!! Wahala.... Na to totally forget say I get driving experience be that
MichaelUde:

Lol, Nigerian driving experience na liability, Lagos driving experience na double liability.
But Bradford might make you feel at home, its as if that place is almost totally Asian.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 12:09pm On Mar 12, 2022
MichaelUde:

Ah well, we agree to disagree.
I dont see any particular advantage in a US visa application process in being a student on a tier 4 visa with little or no income and a Nigerian passport.
Well to be fair, that’s left for the visa officer to decide though not based on our assumption! So yea let’s agree to disagree smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:12pm On Mar 12, 2022
AgentXxx:
Bros you are cracking me up, it’s Original from the FRSC... No comment on the leather industry ...

About leather, are you thinking of going commercial or bit on the side ?......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:15pm On Mar 12, 2022
Amarathripple0:

That may work during first or second semester but last semester or after final project? It will be a tough call
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 12:15pm On Mar 12, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I wanted to drop some info today about getting a driver's license and passing practical Today. Let me piggy bank off my oga post.

My wife passed her practical driving yesterday (Automatic). She passed on her 3rd try. (1st time she failed because there wasn't road marking in a Tesco roundabout so she couldn't identify the right exit. 2nd was examiner shouted stop as she was creeping to forward to see past the vehicle to her right on a roundabout) she was heavily pregnant During the second test. Women strong oh

Back to the mode of training.

We got an instructor which she did 15-17 hrs of practice with before the first test attempt. After that she watched loads of YouTube videos on mock tests, road signs, manover etc. We went out couple of time to practice as well max 10hr combined total. After her second attempt on 10/12/21. I took her out for 2-3hrs of refresher on 10/3/22. And she past her test with 8 minor's on 11/03/21.

What I am trying to point out is the importance of YouTube videos and how they can augment the practical lessons, she did not drive for 3month straight but kept watching videos so the refresher practice before the test date was just her driving in accordance with what she had learnt in the past coupled with the YouTube videos.

Moral of the story

Unless you have plenty free time/money to do multiple hours a week with a qualified instructor.

Take advantage of technology and use YouTube to improve your skills.

With the current queue and lack of instructors, I advise anyone trying to learn should watch loads of videos and buy a car and have the appropriate insurance on it? And beg/pay someone that has full license to go out with them. So that they can practice what they've watched on YouTube with the guidance of the full license driver.

NB some full license drivers have picked up a lot of bad habits so they might not be perfect teachers, so stick to get information from multiple sources on YouTube.

QED

13 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:18pm On Mar 12, 2022
MichaelUde:

You are right as students are likely to be refused because weak tie to the UK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Temi231(f): 12:24pm On Mar 12, 2022
mizGene:

The Harley Street clinic...but I think it needs booking.
I know there are test places within Heathrow too...

There is Cigntest or so near Brentcross area...

Also there is Clinica if you are in Ealing area....

I bet if you go to your high street or town center, you would find one too

Thank you. I found one and the result came out within 15minutes and it cost £39

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 12:25pm On Mar 12, 2022
justwise:
[/b]

That may work during first or second semester but last semester or after final project? It will be a tough call
I did it with my Nija class mates during project writing way back when there was no PSW... we all got our visas

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 12:41pm On Mar 12, 2022
Temi231:
Please where can I do covid 19 test in London today and get the result. Travel date is tomorrow

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/

They have test centers in Heathrow so you can see if there availability and if they have express and offcourse for express they will charge you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 12:42pm On Mar 12, 2022
Employment opportunities with shoe making factories.. I used to believe Uk are among those countries with top notch hand made shoes and leather works factory especially London
Lexusgs430:

About leather, are you thinking of going commercial or bit on the side ?......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 12:46pm On Mar 12, 2022
Great insight..., Gracias... YouTube link to those driving materials will be great, let me get to work grin
umarwy:

I wanted to drop some info today about getting a driver's license and passing practical Today. Let me piggy bank off my oga post.

My wife passed her practical driving yesterday (Automatic). She passed on her 3rd try. (1st time she failed because there wasn't road marking in a Tesco roundabout so she couldn't identify the right exit. 2nd was examiner shouted stop as she was creeping to forward to see past the vehicle to her right on a roundabout) she was heavily pregnant During the second test. Women strong oh

Back to the mode of training.

We got an instructor which she did 15-17 hrs of practice with before the first test attempt. After that she watched loads of YouTube videos on mock tests, road signs, manover etc. We went out couple of time to practice as well max 10hr combined total. After her second attempt on 10/12/21. I took her out for 2-3hrs of refresher on 10/3/22. And she past her test with 8 minor's on 11/03/21.

What I am trying to point out is the importance of YouTube videos and how they can augment the practical lessons, she did not drive for 3month straight but kept watching videos so the refresher practice before the test date was just her driving in accordance with what she had learnt in the past coupled with the YouTube videos.

Moral of the story

Unless you have plenty free time/money to do multiple hours a week with a qualified instructor.

Take advantage of technology and use YouTube to improve your skills.

With the current queue and lack of instructors, I advise anyone trying to learn should watch loads of videos and buy a car and have the appropriate insurance on it? And beg/pay someone that has full license to go out with them. So that they can practice what they've watched on YouTube with the guidance of the full license driver.

NB some full license drivers have picked up a lot of bad habits so they might not be perfect teachers, so stick to get information from multiple sources on YouTube.

QED
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 12:49pm On Mar 12, 2022
AgentXxx:
Employment opportunities with shoe making factories.. I used to believe Uk are among those countries with top notch hand made shoes and leather works factory especially London

Do you have professional shoe making qualifications, on paper ??
If not, you would require some certifications........ grin

Edo no be Lagos. ........ UK no be Naija .......... cheesy

Ever heard of Barkers,Tricker's,Crockett & Jones,Edward Green, loake, Church's,Edward Green etc etc etc........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Goke7: 12:49pm On Mar 12, 2022
Safeob27:
Hi guys, please permit me to post this question here, I just need advice from people already living in the UK

Please I have offers from Bournemouth university and Kingston university to study Adult nursing msc and I am having trouble deciding which to pick . I am well aware that Kingston is close to London so rent is so high but my husband is a banker and feels there would be more opportunities for him closer to London. Now if I pick Kingston are there areas with affordable rent we can live in , that is not so far from school ?

Please I would love to hear from people who have lived in Bournemouth or surrey please

Thank you

Just my own view, the craze about London is unnecessary, most big firms have offices all around major locations in UK and I kind of advise people coming newly to the UK to go to places like 4 or 5 hours away from London to lower their costs of living especially housing to get a good start.

Another advantage is that it's kind of easier to break into these major firms from their locations far away from London as the competition for roles might be not be as stiff as the London area. Take for instance a firm like pwc they have offices all over UK and in Wales where I currently reside. I and a friend just recently secured roles in their Cardiff office and my friend's specialty is in financial compliance something close to your husband's. I secured a role as a business analyst waiting to start in April while my friend started this last Monday.

So don't get worked up about the London thing, go to a place where the cost of living is lower as a new comer and with remote or even hybrid system of working, your husband can still secure a job anywhere even in London and might have to commute once or twice a week but then as I said earlier, most big firms have offices in various locations around the UK. Big organisations are recruiting massively currently all over locations in UK so wherever your location in UK is you are not really at a disadvantage. My two cents.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 12:52pm On Mar 12, 2022
I have one, but don’t know how valid it will be in a place like UK... Since UK no be Lagos.., but they should be able to test me now, am good with sketching shoe patterns
Lexusgs430:

Do you have professional shoe making qualifications, on paper ??
If not, you would require some certifications........ grin

Edo no be Lagos. ........ UK no be Naija .......... cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Australian Student Visa Enquiries Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.