Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,768 members, 7,879,340 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:33 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (316) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1242906 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 11:27pm On Mar 12, 2022
umarwy:

Did you buy the car from a tradesperson/dealership??

Or from Facebook/eBay etc??

Just safe stress and get the spare online, or even the kit. Or if it's a dealership they might do good will and get you one.

For your questions I don't know the answer

Dealership, I just remembered the sales man mentioned it, will call them...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by specialenvoy: 11:32pm On Mar 12, 2022
Yea and you can now take a full-time job with your studies

If you wish, you can covert your study to Part-time, but make sure you complete your study!

Bluetherapy:
Can a student who's dependent got a sponsored job convert from tier 4 to become the new dependent?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 11:42pm On Mar 12, 2022
mizGene:

I have the last two cheesy

Best to get a space saver wheel and jacking kit....... If your tyre suffers from catastrophic damage, no wheel repair kit in the world, would rescue you .........

You could also be waiting hour's for the emergency breakdown driver.........

If you have a tyre damage and pray to Jesus...... He/she would simply quote you ..... Matthew 11:15 ....... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by profemebee(m): 12:27am On Mar 13, 2022
please share some of the "common" strategies

Ralphlauren:

As lexusgs430 has suggested, travel to the US and do all your shopping. Its cheaper than you think. If you travel off peak, you can get return BA flights from London to New York for around £350-£400.

Prior to the pandemic, I would travel to the US at least twice a year for vacation and stock up on casual/office wear. Talk about using one bird to kill two stones. grin My username says it all. You get the best RL outfits for the best prices in the US. grin

If you do not hold a foreign passport, getting a US visa is very easy. You just need to understand the "common" strategy that applies for UK resident applicants.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 12:29am On Mar 13, 2022
Newcastle is nice, clean, it’s kind of posh, cold, the natives are nice and have a strong accent, huge immigrant community because of the universities and cheap accommodation and transportation(one card for train & buses) compared to most major cities.

AnaCheks:
I've been following this thread keenly and I haven't heard much about Living in Newcastle. The life(wether expensive or not) , accommodations, work etc. Please my elders throw more light on Newcastle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babajeje123(m): 12:37am On Mar 13, 2022
AnaCheks:
I've been following this thread keenly and I haven't heard much about Living in Newcastle. The life(wether expensive or not) , accommodations, work etc. Please my elders throw more light on Newcastle
I live in Sunderland which is very close to Newcastle. Newcastle is expensive but of course, not as expensive as London and the areas close to it. You can get a 2 bed unfurnished between 550 -650 depending on the location and taste. The weather is not bad, colder than Sunderland though and jobs are readily available, both factory and care jobs.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 12:53am On Mar 13, 2022
HollyMadison:
Newcastle is nice, clean, cold, the natives are nice and have a strong accent, it’s kind of posh, huge immigrant community because of the universities and cheap accommodation and transportation(one card for train & buses) compared to most major cities.

Newcastle accent posh?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 3:13am On Mar 13, 2022
mizGene:

I did it with my Nija class mates during project writing way back when there was no PSW... we all got our visas
You see! It’s a weird assumption that students are not given US visas. As a matter of fact, when I applied for my first US visa with a virgin passport, It had a refusal stamp on it from the UK embassy. At the end of the day, it’s at the discretion of the Visa officer to make the decision to give us the visa or not. Student or no student, they’ll give or refuse who they want.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 3:20am On Mar 13, 2022
Bluetherapy:
Can a student who's dependent got a sponsored job convert from tier 4 to become the new dependent?
Yes you can and you can also continue with your education alongside the perk of working full time.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:08am On Mar 13, 2022
justwise:

Newcastle accent posh?

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:11am On Mar 13, 2022
HollyMadison:
Newcastle is nice, clean, cold, the natives are nice and have a strong accent, it’s kind of posh, huge immigrant community because of the universities and cheap accommodation and transportation(one card for train & buses) compared to most major cities.

Newcastle is in the north of England, and unfortunately the attitude of the south-eastern part (read London and that area) towards northerners is somewhat like the way some Nigerians perceive northern Nigeria, and the strong accent in northern England is certainly far from being "posh", in the sense that that word is used in this class-ridden country. A person with a northern accent would most likely be stereotyped as being working class.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by willyede(m): 6:34am On Mar 13, 2022
How easy or hard is it getting a job in UK.
Out of the UK and Australia which is better to target for masters.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 7:14am On Mar 13, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Newcastle is in the north of England, and unfortunately the attitude of the south-eastern part (read London and that area) towards northerners is somewhat like the way some Nigerians perceive northern Nigeria, and the strong accent in northern England is certainly far from being "posh", in the sense that that word is used in this class-ridden country. A person with a northern accent would most likely be stereotyped as being working class.

To me Geordie and Scouse accents followed by Scottish are no where near posh

You listen to Steven gerrard or Cherry Cole speak you wondering if it’s the same English language
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by uchman(m): 7:17am On Mar 13, 2022
AltCtrlDel:

I consulted the oracle's but they have not spoken. Pls how do I get items bought on US websites into the UK without robbing a bank to pay duties?

Lexusgs430
TheGuyFromHR
Ralphlauren
LagosismyHome
Mamtukwas
STENON

Hello Chief,
Are you in Canterbury christ church university?
I got unconditional from them but I dont know anything about the school I.e if there will be precas interview, POF before cas, tuition payment plan, job opportunities, living expenses, Nigerian community, housing, raising kids and how to go about my admission.
I have not paid my deposit and there is no final date deposit payment.

Thanks for your time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by marylandcakes: 7:51am On Mar 13, 2022
justwise:

Newcastle accent posh?

I am laughing in Cheryl Tweddy and Ant and Dec’s voice grin grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Kate77sexy(f): 7:59am On Mar 13, 2022
Hello, please is this training still ongoing?

Aphrodite007:
For those interested in learning to be WA testers and aren’t scared of a lirru bit of coding. You can send him an email and he will share his the link to his free sessions.

===

Want to become a QA Tester and get into the world of software and technology?
Want to change your career path?
Want to improve your IT skills?
Want to boost your career?
Do you know you can make from £200 to £1200 per day working as a QA/Test engineer?

Join our next QA sessions starting on Tuesday 25th January 2022, 8.30pm UK time

A lot of people has successfully gone through SkyLink and currently enjoying their dream job.

HOW IT WORKS:

Register and attend 1 free session (Open Day) and hear from previous students on Thursday 20th Jan.2022.
The interactive sessions commences on Tuesday 25th Jan 2022 where you can learn:

Full Manual Testing (ISEB/ISTQB)
Full automation Testing
Selenium
API Testing
Jira
X-Ray
Azure DevOps
Performance Testing
Please contact us for the training details.
T: 07448923278
E: skylink.consult@consultant.com

===
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by phyl123: 8:50am On Mar 13, 2022
AgentXxx:
shocked Scary criteria in there... Hmmm, i might to have a rethink.... but minimum of how long do you think one could get all of the license done if one would like to settle for it? Or are they other lucrative driving jobs? Also how is leather and shoe industry in London faring? I have skills/certification in leather works most especially footwear.. does it pose as a fast way of getting employment?

Thanks for your honest feedback.... God bless

Regarding the leather work, do you hand craft or use machines? The reason I’m asking is because I handcraft leather mostly bags and hats but it’s a side job.
I think if you want to be employed by a leather factory, you will have to start as an apprentice.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 9:32am On Mar 13, 2022
justwise:

Newcastle accent posh?

Not the accent, Newcastle itself.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 9:34am On Mar 13, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Best to get a space saver wheel and jacking kit....... If your tyre suffers from catastrophic damage, no wheel repair kit in the world, would rescue you .........
Right!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 9:34am On Mar 13, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

I meant Newcastle. Not the accent.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:39am On Mar 13, 2022
HollyMadison:

Not the accent, Newcastle itself.

Feel free to redefined poshness but i see nothing posh about Newcastle or people from there, yes they have some well-known celebs and maybe some posh post codes but in general Newcastle is not talked about in that sense.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 9:40am On Mar 13, 2022
marylandcakes:

I am laughing in Cheryl Tweddy and Ant and Dec’s voice grin grin grin

grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by HollyMadison(f): 9:46am On Mar 13, 2022
justwise:
[/b]

Feel free to redefined poshness but i see nothing posh about Newcastle or people from there, yes they have some well-known celebs and maybe some posh post codes but in general Newcastle is not talked about in that sense.

It’s not posh to you, it’s posh to me. My definition of posh is not based on what people talk about and I don’t know any of their celebs.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 10:17am On Mar 13, 2022
justwise:

grin grin

It's about time Seun Osewa allows MP4 files ........ Let's hear this various accents......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by fatima04: 10:23am On Mar 13, 2022
justwise:

To me Geordie and Scouse accents followed by Scottish are no where near posh

You listen to Steven gerrard or Cherry Cole speak you wondering if it’s the same English language

grin grin honestly puts me off when watching some UK movies.The drag and all
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 11:48am On Mar 13, 2022
How does one get a credit card?

Experian is asking for 3 years uk address which I don’t have.

Also can I get a credit card if I’ve not lived here that long.

I added rent to creditladder.

I’ve don’t basics like NI, electoral role. So what else?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mrcodebreaker: 12:23pm On Mar 13, 2022
Anyone working in london hybrid and living outside london?

I secured a role which would require me coming in twice a week during my probation period. Also I beleive the human interaction with my manager is good for the first few months to have a better bond.

My plan is spend a night in a hotel every week with my commute being just back and forth from outside the city weekly.

Two questions -

Where can i stay once a week for 3 months asides a hotel? Are there people I can pay to stay once a week close to paddington?

For people in this situation that don’t want to move to london. How do you navigate this predicament?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Bluebird24: 12:42pm On Mar 13, 2022
Hello, everyone... Pls does anyone have an idea of how I can get a copy of my UK refusal letter from the embassy, I lost the copy given to me from 2013 and the school I am applying to said I have to submit it before I am.issued CAS. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babranancy: 1:03pm On Mar 13, 2022
mrcodebreaker:
Anyone working in london hybrid and living outside london?

I secured a role which would require me coming in twice a week during my probation period. Also I beleive the human interaction with my manager is good for the first few months to have a better bond.

My plan is spend a night in a hotel every week with my commute being just back and forth from outside the city weekly.

Two questions -

Where can i stay once a week for 3 months asides a hotel? Are there people I can pay to stay once a week close to paddington?

For people in this situation that don’t want to move to london. How do you navigate this predicament?

There is an accommodation in central London close to the euston railway station. The accommodation is for key workers and students and also any other individuals that is decent. It is managed by notting genesis renting organization. So there you pay 708 pounds monthly all bills inclusive except washing machine and WiFi which is communal and you pay to use them.The toilet and kitchen are shared and you your own room which is well furnished.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babranancy: 1:06pm On Mar 13, 2022
Please house, what are the recent covid requirements for individuals who are well vaccinated traveling traveling to UK. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by babranancy: 1:07pm On Mar 13, 2022
I meant individuals who are fully vaccinated and traveling to the Uk.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by AgentXxx(m): 1:48pm On Mar 13, 2022
Yes mostly handcraft but I can/use some basic machines too like the post machine for stitching broque and Chelsea boot, normal filing machine and the normal flat bird machine, Sold all of them...
phyl123:

Regarding the leather work, do you hand craft or use machines? The reason I’m asking is because I handcraft leather mostly bags and hats but it’s a side job.
I think if you want to be employed by a leather factory, you will have to start as an apprentice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Australian Student Visa Enquiries Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.