Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,278 members, 7,881,043 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:25 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! (81695 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by Ibime(m): 6:56pm On Sep 26, 2011
If Nateevs arguments were input into Excel, he will keep getting output of "Error - Circular argument".

In trying to prove that DD is a poor team player, he proved that Lamps is the greatest teamplayer - yet his argument is that both Lamps and DD are detrimental to teamwork.

Yes Mr Nateevs aka Lamps can only play with big target man, yet Lamps copped the second highest assists in Premierleague history behind Anelka. The nukka had to run quickly.

Lemme help him since he won't give you the stats.

According to Nateevs, "I don't care if a player makes two assists when he missed 5 chance to assist his teammates".

Well lemme help you - Lamps made the most goalscoring chances in the league (109) that year. I guess Nateevs was mad at the other 500 chances that Lamps failed to create. Hehehehehehe!

Nateevs, please help us answer this pop quiz:

Which of these players was most behind the most creative Premierleague of all time:

(a.) Drogba
(b.) Anelka
(C.) Malouda
(D.) Lamps
(E.) Ballack
(F.) Deco
(G.) Torres.

Please just pick one answer from A-G, no long ting.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 6:57pm On Sep 26, 2011
nateevs:

@Dayo

I am sorry I cannot reply to your post because it's bereft of any technical analysis.
The only thing I see is Torres was benched for Spain. What has that got to do with being a better Chelsea team player?
How can you even say what I'm saying does not make sense, when the evidence is glaring in the face?

How does it make sense to you that Drogba afeected team play the season when the team scored 103 goals with a +71 goals difference

What is the use the teamplay when it didnt stop the team from winning a double and breaking all goal scoring records

And 4 attacking players scoring 74 goals in between them
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by Ibime(m): 7:09pm On Sep 26, 2011
No mind Nateevs, questioning DD and Lamps teamwork in a season where they scored+assisted 95 goals between them.

DD - 37 goals
Lamps - 27 goals
DD - 11 assists
Lamps - 20 assists

Kai! I've read worse from Nateevs sha. May the play continue "breaking down" at DD feet jor!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by debosky(m): 7:30pm On Sep 26, 2011
nateevs:

So I obliged Deborah's challenge and went to compile the stats of other player in attack for Chelsea in the same 09/10 season and this is the results.

In the 09/10 season, Malouda made 1573 passes.  Suc. 1228   Unsuc. 345. . . . . 21% unsuccessful pass rate.
In the 09/10 season, Anelka made 1112 passes.  Suc. 831   Unsuc. 281. . . . . 25% unsuccessful pass rate.
In the 09/10 season, kalou made 385 passes.  Suc. 295   Unsuc. 90. . . . . 23% unsuccessful pass rate.

In the 09/10 season, Drogba made 763 passes. - Suc 430, Unsuc 333. 43% unsuccessful pass rate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This absolutely, without any iota of bias, confirms that despite the goals, Drogba is the[b] prime[/b] reason our play in attack breaks down. Malouda is 22% more likely to find a team mate than Drogba is.

Based on your data, I'll have to agree that he causes play to break down much more than the others.

However, it may also lead to a parallel conclusion that DD should focus on his strengths - i.e. scoring instead of trying to 'bring others into play'.

Even with his atrocious passing stats, he still creates far more than Torres, which may also suggest that a lot of Torres' passing is non-beneficial (see Denilson - king of sideways passing grin) while DD is incisive and productive.

I know you've said that Liverpool didn't have championship winning form, but I think that is a slightly tenuous assertion.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 7:31pm On Sep 26, 2011
This is utter fallacy. Treat the stats in one post and deal my my assertions in another. Do not force Lampard's pass rate down my throat and fail to treat Drogba's one. I am not dealing with Lamps' stats, it's talk for another day.

If anyone is avoiding the issue, it's you. There is clear difference between TEAM WORK and WORK RATE. Torres is more likely to find a team mate than Drogba will. Five straight posts and you have avoided the issue. Na you dey run.

In trying to prove that DD is a poor team player, he proved that Lamps is the greatest teamplayer - yet his argument is that both Lamps and DD are detrimental to teamwork.

You are playing smart by not tackling my views on DD head on. It's very convenient to throw the Lamps argument and smartly use that as a smoke screen to avoid any direct discussions for Drogba then eventually throw in Drogba's scoring stats when I never argued about his goals in the first place.

Face the Drogba - Torres pal. Leave the Lamps one for another day.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by Ibime(m): 7:39pm On Sep 26, 2011
Why should I leave the Lamps one for another day. You're the one who called both of their names together as being the players most detrimental to teamwork.

I am not interested in you and Ritchboy's definition of TEAMWORK and WORKRATE. What you call teamwork is what I may call INTERPASSING. As far as I'm concerned, anytime DD put his body where it hurts, he is doing TEAMWORK. Whenever he puts pressure on defenders creating space for others, he is doing TEAMWORK. Whenever he knocks the ball down for a teammate, he is doing TEAMWORK.

Deborah has already addressed your point. Despite the fact DD lost the ball more, he creates more assists than Torres every season without fail. Maybe Torres is the King of the Denilson passes. Hehehehe.

Please answer my pop quiz. A-G please.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 7:43pm On Sep 26, 2011
Drogba can not find a team mate yet his fellow attackers scored 74 goals

He spoils the shape yet the team scored 103 goals

He isnt a team player yet the team won a double in the season in question.

So what does his teamwork seeks to achieve if I may ask.

What has Torres contributed to any team he plays in in the past 10yrs?

How come Drogba has more assist than Torres, in all the seasons played together.

I doubt some people even watched Drogba at all

You need to watch Bayern vs Chelsea games on 2005. Drogba won every single aerial battle that won Chelsea the game
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 7:47pm On Sep 26, 2011
debosky:

Based on your data, I'll have to agree that he causes play to break down much more than the others.

However, it may also lead to a parallel conclusion that DD should focus on his strengths - i.e. scoring instead of trying to 'bring others into play'.

Even with his atrocious passing stats, he still creates far more than Torres, which may also suggest that a lot of Torres' passing is non-beneficial (see Denilson - king of sideways passing grin) while DD is incisive and productive.

I know you've said that Liverpool didn't have championship winning form, but I think that is a slightly tenuous assertion.

Thank you very much. This is the type of discussion I like to have. If you throw a point I think is right, I will agree. Not the gibberish I see on the other side.

Back to the stats argument. If you look well Debo, you will find that the argument is subjective.

In Torres' first season, 07/08, he scored 24 league goals. Drogba scored 8  
In the second season, 08/09, he scored 14 league goals. Drogba scored 5.
In the 09/10 season, Torres scored 11 league goals. Drogba scored 29.
In the 210/11 season, Torres scored 9 league goals. Drogba scores 11.

You will find my friend that in the past four seasons, Torres has scored 58 goals . . . Drogba 53.
This is despite Torres playing with inferior players than Drogba.
Torres was not playing with the top assist player in the league (Lamps), Torres was not.

So my argument can be extended even further, not only do the stats prove that Torres is a better team player than Drogba, the stats also prove that Torres has outscored Drogba in the league over the past four seasons.

Let's have a discussion.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 26, 2011
@DK,
What is this hatred for Torres?
I don't understand. He is not even English, i know u hate English players.

@ Nateevs,

if i remember, you've always been a fan of Lamps?
Why the recent beef, what gives?

Lamps is now a liability but to me he is one of the best mildfielders in CFC history.
Though i castigate him now, it will be unfair not to acknowledge all his past excellent contributions.

This is despite Torres playing with inferior players than Drogba.

Who exactly are inferior players? Alonso, Gerrard, Benayoun or who?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 7:55pm On Sep 26, 2011
DIDIER DROGBA GOALS + ASSIST 2007/2008 till date (53 + 38 =91)  Appearances 114

DIMITAR BERBATOV GOALS + ASSIST 2007/2008 till date (56 + 32 = 88) Apperances 135

WAYNE ROONEY  GOALS + ASSIST 2007/2008 till date (52 + 37 = 89) Appearances 120

FERNANDO TORRES GOALS + ASSIST 2007/2008 till date (66 + 18 = 84) Appearances 122

http://www.premierleague.com

Drogba that doesnt contribute to team play has 38 assists in 4 seasons while Torres that contribute to team play has less than half.

Trash talk comes in different way and I think nateevs has carved a niche for himself in senseless argument

Not minding the fact that Drogba is 4-5yrs older than Torres and his performance would only decline from now.

The period in consideration Drogba was between age 29-33 (When attacking players are in decline) and Torres was 23-27yrs (The age where strikers are at their peak)

Drogba goals + assists per game ratio is 0.8 While that of Torres is 0.7.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 8:00pm On Sep 26, 2011
BlueDiva:

Who exactly are inferior players? Alonso, Gerrard, Benayoun or who?

Would you swap midfields? Remember Lamps, Ballack, Mikel, Makalele, Essien, Ballack, Deco to name a few all contributed to Drogba's goal ratio. Which would you rather have?

Now tell me they weren't inferior.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 8:03pm On Sep 26, 2011
nateevs:

Would you swap midfields? Remember Lamps, Ballack, Mikel, Makalele, Essien, Ballack, Deco to name a few all contributed to Drogba's goal ratio. Which would you rather have?

Now tell me they weren't inferior.

Those are stats up there. Now tell us why Torres has the worst goals + assist in the 4 strikers selected.

You are used to those beer parlour arguments because I dont come on this thread a lot.

Now lets have an argument, bring out your excel, Matlab, 4 figure table, or abacus and tell us why Torres has such dire numbers
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 8:15pm On Sep 26, 2011
dayokanu:

The period in consideration Drogba was between age 29-33 (When attacking players are in decline) and Torres was 23-27yrs (The age where strikers are at their peak)

This is why I think you leave a few details behind for the sole purpose of argument.
Let' s follow through on this.

Could you possibly fish out the goal + assist numbers for Drogba between 23 and 27years?
That way we can have near comparative analysis.

Secondly have you taken into cognisance, that Drogba had been in the league for 3 straight seasons before Torres?
Take into consideration that Drogba has mastered the league by Torres' arrival.

It's very nice to not throw details like these away.
Oya answer question.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 8:23pm On Sep 26, 2011
dayokanu:

DIDIER DROGBA GOALS + ASSIST 2007/2008 till date (53 + 38 =91)  Appearances 114

DIMITAR BERBATOV GOALS + ASSIST 2007/2008 till date (56 + 32 = 88) Apperances 135

WAYNE ROONEY  GOALS + ASSIST 2007/2008 till date (52 + 37 = 89) Appearances 120

FERNANDO TORRES GOALS + ASSIST 2007/2008 till date (66 + 18 = 84) Appearances 122

http://www.premierleague.com

Drogba that doesnt contribute to team play has 38 assists in 4 seasons while Torres that contribute to team play has less than half.

Trash talk comes in different way and I think nateevs has carved a niche for himself in senseless argument

Not minding the fact that Drogba is 4-5yrs older than Torres and his performance would only decline from now.

Drogba goals + assists per game ratio is 0.8 While that of Torres is 0.7.

except that in the statistics drawn out, only torres has not scored from the penalty spot/freekick in his 5 seasons in england!
dimitar scored few pens and freekicks for spurs.

drogba and rooney are perpetual set-piece takers - rooney scored a hatrick of set-pieces against arsenal last month!
drogba and lampard fight regularly to boss set-pieces

torres is a pure goal-scorer. all his goals in this league were copped from open play. his statistics is the best as far as creativity is concerned
followed closely by dimitar berbatov. . . .

go and deduct the number of penalties and direct freekicks from drogba's goal haul and let's have a proper argument.
goals scored from penalties can [b]dop[i]e[/i] up [/b]a players' statistics to make him look scary!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2011
coogar:

except that in the statistics drawn out, only torres has not scored from the penalty spot in 4 seasons.
dimitar scored few pens and freekicks for spurs.

drogba and rooney are perpetual set-piece takers - rooney scored a hatrick of set-pieces against arsenal!
drogba and lampard fight regularly to boss set-pieces

torres is a pure goal-scorer. all his goals in this league were copped from open play. his statistics is the best as far as creativity is concerned
followed closely by dimitar berbatov. . . .

go and deduct the number of penalties and direct freekicks from drogba's goal haul and let's have a proper argument.
goals scored from penalties can [b]dop[i]e[/i] up [/b]a players' statistics to make him look scary!

Fabulous piece of punditry!
How did I even miss that?

Plus they cannot add the goals from CL, Carling Cup, FA Cup when Liverpool would clearly have rested Torres for the Cup games and may not have have gone as far as Chelsea in the CL. The only valid and fair comparison would be the league and over four seasons in the league, Torres outscores Drogba.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 8:29pm On Sep 26, 2011
Torres had a more priviledged background

Torres grew up in an academy and his parents introduced him to football at the age of 5 in a proper academy

Drogba probably saw a proper football field at the age of 15. I read that he actually started off as a defender.

At the same age of 15 Torres was already representing Spain

We can say that if Drogba has the proper environment Torres had he would have been wayyy better despite the bad background he is still better than Torres.

Between age 23- 27 actually within 2 yrs Drogba went from an $80,000 striker to a $24m Striker and the best striker in the whole of Europe in 2004.

Anyone who followed marseille in 2004 like I did would know that.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 8:32pm On Sep 26, 2011
nateevs:

Fabulous piece of punditry!
How did I even miss that?

Plus they cannot add the goals from CL, Carling Cup, FA Cup when Liverpool would clearly have rested Torres for the Cup games and may not have have gone as far as Chelsea in the CL. The only valid and fair comparison would be the league and over four seasons in the league, Torres outscores Drogba.

The figures I gave you were strictly from EPL games not Carling, not FA cup and not Champions league. So any other point?

Goals + assist Drogba is miles ahead of Torres.

You can deduct Dtogbas penalties if you have the figures. I am still certain he would bag more points cos Lampard is the 1st choice penalty taker for Chelsea
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 8:34pm On Sep 26, 2011
Hehehehehehehe. Dayo don murder person ooooo.
Beer parlour analysis. Drogba had an inferior upbringing.

WTF are you saying? You've run out of stats now it's about upbringing eh?
Do you know how many players represented Spain in Torres' category and never made it?
What happened to their "privileged background" ?

What sort of moronic interpretation are you bringing up?
Dude, I give you one chance to go back to your stats.
Do go down this route, you won't even win.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 8:35pm On Sep 26, 2011
dayokanu:

The figures I gave you were strictly from EPL games not Carling, not FA cup and not Champions league. So any other point?

You can deduct Dtogbas penalties if you have the figures. I am still certain he would bag more points cos Lampard is the 1st choice penalty taker for Chelsea

Okay. Torres outscores Drogba.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 8:39pm On Sep 26, 2011
dayokanu:

lampard is the first choice but in the games where lampard got substituted, drogba takes the ball and tucks it in.
i cannot count the number of direct freekicks drogba has hammered into the net - even with that, drogba's ratio is just a bit higher than torres'

if you take out drogba's pen kicks from it, he would be the lowest!

dayokanu:

Torres had a more priviledged background

Torres grew up in an academy and his parents introduced him to football at the age of 5 in a proper academy

Drogba probably saw a proper football field at the age of 15. I read that he actually started off as a defender.

At the same age of 15 Torres was already representing Spain

We can say that if Drogba has the proper environment Torres had he would have been wayyy better despite the bad background he is still better than Torres.

Between age 23- 27 actually within 2 yrs Drogba went from an $80,000 striker to a $24m Striker and the best striker in the whole of Europe in 2004.

Anyone who followed marseille in 2004 like I did would know that.

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 8:42pm On Sep 26, 2011
nateevs:

Hehehehehehehe. Dayo don murder person ooooo.
Beer parlour analysis. Drogba had an inferior upbringing.

WTF are you saying? You've run out of stats now it's about upbringing eh?
Do you know how many players represented Spain in Torres' category and never made it?
What happened to their "privileged background" ?

What sort of moronic interpretation are you bringing up?
Dude, I give you one chance to go back to your stats.
Do go down this route, you won't even win.
Between age 23-27 Drogba won the Onze D Or. Was Europes most sought after striker.

Nateevs you should know when you have been owned. You are feather weight when it comes to football analysis. Just because I dont frequent this thread has made your opata go unchallenged for long.

Fact is Torres joined a football academy at age 5 while for drogba

In 1991, his parents also traveled to France; first to Vannes and then settling in 1993 at Antony in the Paris suburbs, at which point the 15-year-old Drogba returned to live with them and his siblings.[13] It was here that he began playing team football more frequently, joining a local youth side

He started 10years later.

Drogba meteoric rise between 2002 from an 80k transfer to 2004 24m transfer is something commendable

nateevs:

Okay. Torres outscores Drogba.

You brought out teamwork as an attribute of Torres yet stats has shown that in the last 4 seasons Drogba has had more contribution to goals than Torres either as the scorer or as the assist.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 8:45pm On Sep 26, 2011
coogar:

lampard is the first choice but in the games where lampard got substituted, drogba takes the ball and tucks it in.
i cannot count the number of direct freekicks drogba has hammered into the net - even with that, drogba's ratio is just a bit higher than torres'

if you take out drogba's pen kicks from it, he would be the lowest!

How many games did Lampard get substituted and how many penaties did Drogba score for Chelsea
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by Ibime(m): 8:47pm On Sep 26, 2011
So DD has 38 assists to Torres 18?

DK, God go bless you for that stats. Debo was right, Torres is the new Denilson! Hehehehe!

I've said many times that Alonso and Mascherano is as good as anything in their position. This is during Gerrard vs Lampard debates. Liverpool midfield was equivalent to Chelsea midfield jor!

Now the excuse is that Torres wasn't playing with assist King (Lampard). Well Torres is now playing with assist King and does not like the kind of chances Lamps creates. Mind you regardless of Lamps poor form, he was still top of chances created with 14 before last weekend (Ashley Young second with 11). That means maybe Torres would not have scored even with assist King.

Nwaanyi muta ite ofe mmiri mmiri, di ya amuta ipi utara aka were suru ofe
(If a woman decides to make the soup watery, the husband will learn to dent the fufu before dipping it into the soup).

Torres could not dent his fufu to eat Lampard's soup so I don't think he would have done better than DD even if he was at Chelsea.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 8:54pm On Sep 26, 2011
dayokanu:

How many games did Lampard get substituted and how many penaties did Drogba score for Chelsea

it's your assignment to find out. . . .the burden of proof is on you that torres isn't better than drogba!

Ibime:

I've said many times that Alonso and Mascherano is as good as anything in their position. This is during Gerrard vs Lampard debates. Liverpool midfield was equivalent to Chelsea midfield jor!

very daft comparison considering the fact chelsea won 3 league titles and liverpool won nowt.
besides, lampard had makelele, essien, ballack as team-mates whilst gerrard had alonso. mascherano was shyte in his first 2 seasons at pool!
matter of fact, he was shyte throughout in liverpool!

Now the excuse is that Torres wasn't playing with assist King (Lampard). Well Torres is now playing with assist King and does not like the kind of chances Lamps creates. Mind you regardless of Lamps poor form, he was still top of chances created with 14 before last weekend (Ashley Young second with 11). That means maybe Torres would not have scored even with assist King.

by the time torres joined chelsea, lampard had seen better days in his career.
another daft comparison!

Nwaanyi muta ite ofe mmiri mmiri, di ya amuta ipi utara aka were suru ofe
(If a woman decides to make the soup watery, the husband will learn to dent the fufu before dipping it into the soup).

Torres could not dent his fufu to eat Lampard's soup so I don't think he would have done better than DD even if he was at Chelsea.

he would have done far better than drogba in drogba's shoes - that is pretty much certain!
torres carried liverpool in benitez's years. drogba did not carry nada in mourinho's era. terry, robben, joe cole, lampard, essien etc did at one point or the other.

who dares compare torres to drogba for crying out loud?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 8:59pm On Sep 26, 2011
dayokanu:

Between age 23-27 Drogba won the Onze D Or. Was Europes most sought after striker.

Nateevs you should know when you have been owned. You are feather weight when it comes to football analysis. Just because I dont frequent this thread has made your opata go unchallenged for long.

Fact is Torres joined a football academy at age 5 while for drogba

He started 10years later.

Drogba meteoric rise between 2002 from an 80k transfer to 2004 24m transfer is something commendable

You brought out teamwork as an attribute of Torres yet stats has shown that in the last 4 seasons Drogba has had more contribution to goals than Torres either as the scorer or as the assist.

Dude. I will not go on arguing like you do. I will concede to Drogba having more assists than Torres.
That said, it is the only thing Drogba has on Torres. Only thing. Assists sometimes can be overrated.

Torres makes more successful passes than Drogba and Torres has outscored Drogba in the league 58 to 53 goals.
All Torres' goals come from open play. No penalties and no free kicks. Torres is a pure striker. Not saying that Drogba isn't.
Therefore I can conclude that potentially Torres is a better team player than Drogba.

What next?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 9:06pm On Sep 26, 2011
nateevs:

Dude. I will not go on arguing like you do. I will concede to Drogba having more assists than Torres.
That said, it is the only thing Drogba has on Torres. Only thing. Assists sometimes can be overrated.

that drogba had mote assists than torres even means shyte!
is that what dayo and ibime wanted to use to say torres doesn't possess a better football brain than drogba? laughable.

torres was in a 4-2-3-1 system at liverpool, drogba has always been in a 4-3-3 system.
drogba can find duff, joe cole, kalou, anelka, malouda and robben and make goals.
torres is all alone - a one man soldier who relies on the passes of his midfielders to bang goals.

this is why his goals is 66 and the other strikers are lower than him in that respect!
talking about creativity, would ibime and dayokanu(2 polarizing phat phools) argue that iniesta is not creative because of his poor assists in comparison to errrrr, lampard or gerrard?

Torres makes more successful passes than Drogba and Torres has outscored Drogba in the league 58 to 53 goals.
All Torres' goals come from open play. No penalties and no free kicks. Torres is a pure striker. Not saying that Drogba isn't.
Therefore I can conclude that potentially Torres is a better team player than Drogba.

What next?

without any shadow of doubt!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by dayokanu(m): 9:24pm On Sep 26, 2011
nateevs:

What next?

What are succesful passes? Someone has more assist and you are still on this succesful Denilson-Mikel passes? is it these Mikel-Denilson like passes that makes him a better team player?

Can you tell us how many penalties Drogba took? ARe you also forgetting that Torres played more games in those 4 yrs than Drogba?

Torres never had to go play Nations cup in between his seasons. Drogba had to come off the bench several times in fact Drogba was a sub 23 times in his first 4 seasons while Torres was a sub 11 times in 4 seasons.

Despite all these, Drogba was EPL top scorer 2 times already while Torres cant even win top scorer in Spanish division 2
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 9:30pm On Sep 26, 2011
dayokanu:

What are succesful passes? Someone has more assist and you are still on this succesful Denilson-Mikel passes?

passes retain the ball and since we all know torres operates in the final third of the pitch where there are more tackles, his ball retention ability should be applauded. denilson and mikel are defensive midfielders. unless you are suggesting when torres receives the ball, he passes it back to the defenders/goalkeeper, this comparison is daft as well.

you have made quite a lot daft excuses tonight - it seems you are not in form!

Can you tell us how many penalties Drogba took? ARe you also forgetting that Torres played more games in those 4 yrs than Drogba?

the number of games torres played has no bearing. we are calculating ratio.
drogba took more than a dozen penalties and almost the same number of direct freekicks at chelsea. if you deduct that from his tally, drogbahas the lowest productivity amongst his peers. even lower than berbatov!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by debosky(m): 9:36pm On Sep 26, 2011
Torres' upbringing better than Drogba's cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by nateevs(m): 9:37pm On Sep 26, 2011
dayokanu:

What are succesful passes? Someone has more assist and you are still on this succesful Denilson-Mikel passes? is it these Mikel-Denilson like passes that makes him a better team player?

A successful pass is a pass to find a player. The more times this happens, the higher the ball retention capacity of the team.
Assist can come from anything. If Drogba takes a free kick, ball hits the woodwork and a player scores, it's an assist. That's not a pass. If Drogba shoots at goal and someone else scores, it's an assist. That's not a pass either.

There's a massive difference between an assist and a pass.

I gave you the stats.

In the 09/10 season, Drogba made 763 passes. - Suc 430, Unsuc 333. . . . 43% unsuccessful pass rate.
In the 09/10 season, Torres made 416 passes. - Suc 272, Unsuc 144. . . . . . . 34% unsuccessful pass rate.

Deal with it.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by coogar: 9:39pm On Sep 26, 2011
debosky:

Torres' upbringing better than Drogba's cheesy cheesy cheesy

see what dayokanu has reduced football analysis to. . . . . grin cheesy grin

nateevs:

In the 09/10 season, Drogba made 763 passes. - Suc 430, Unsuc 333. . . . 43% unsuccessful pass rate.
In the 09/10 season, Torres made 416 passes. - Suc 272, Unsuc 144. . . . . . . 34% unsuccessful pass rate.

drogba is poor.

2011/12
drogba has completed 20 out of 32 passes - 63% pass completion
-torres has completed 97 of 133 passes - 73% pass completion

in 2010/11
drogba: 439 passes completed in 785 passes - 56% pass completion
torres: 431 passes completed in 639 passes - 67% pass completion

the difference is clear, drogba has the first touch of a ra[i]p[/i]ist!
torres is at least 10% more likely to find his team-mate with the ball than didier drogba!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! by debosky(m): 9:46pm On Sep 26, 2011
@ Nateevs

I think you've moved away from your original proposition. . . .as I understood it, you were arguing that Torres does more for the team. The stats don't bear this out when we look beyond overall passing. As cases like Denilson have shown, the sheer volume of completed passes may not be a good measure of a player's team contribution.

Yes Torres has scored more goals than Drog, but is much poorer when it comes to assists.

If Drogba is creating more goals (i.e. assists) than Torres, then he is a more productive team player than Torres.

If we take into consideration your argument about Torres playing for a lesser side compared to DD, we may be able to determine who is a better team player provided statistics about chance creation are available.

Do you know if such stats are available - i.e. chances created by both players to facilitate a comparison?

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (100)

UEFA Champions League Draw On 24th August 2017 / Roma Vs Barcelona UCL (3 - 0) On 10th April 2018 / Real Madrid Vs Barcelona :El Clasico (2 - 3) On 23rd April 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.