Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,087 members, 7,880,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:26 PM

Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper (34674 Views)

IGP Arase, Obi, Ahmed, Others May Be Sacked- Daily Trust / Senators In Emergency Meeting Over Saraki- Daily Trust / Nigerian Govt Bans Other Para-military Agencies From Use Of Camouflage Uniforms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by hillsate: 11:09am On May 26, 2011
Daily Trust newspapers’ correspondent in Jigawa State Malam Yusha’u Ibrahim has been posted out of the state and no replacement will be posted there until further notice, the Media Trust management announced in Abuja yesterday. It said the move was in response to “security concerns arising from hostile events emanating from the state government.”

Early yesterday, the Director of Press Affairs in the Dutse Government House Alhaji Umar Kyari called in Ibrahim and conveyed to him a decision to ban him from covering any event or activity at which Governor Sule Lamido is in attendance. Kyari said the decision was arrived at the State Executive Council meeting on Monday. He gave no reasons for the action.

According to Kyari, the Daily Trust reporter is however free to report on other activities anywhere in Jigawa State provided Governor Lamido is not present. He also suggested that Ibrahim “could rely on his colleagues” to obtain stories from events at which he is banned. Last night, Kyari confirmed to Daily Trust’s editor that the order was indeed handed down.

Media Trust’s Editor-in-Chief Malam Mannir Dan Ali said yesterday that the arrangement was unacceptable and that it poses security risks to the reporter and to Daily Trust’s robust reporting activities in Jigawa State. He said even though there are a lot of activities that the newspaper could cover apart from government activities, the hostile posture of the state government poses security risks. He said in the light of this unfortunate turn of events, the company would not post any reporter to Jigawa State.

There were no immediate indications as to why the Jigawa State government took this action, though Governor Sule Lamido had expressed unhappiness at some reports and opinion articles published by Daily Trust and its sister titles in recent months.

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19986:daily-trust-suspends-reporting-from-jigawa-state&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by hillsate: 11:17am On May 26, 2011
I have always talked about the bias and nonsensical reportage of news from daily trust newspaper. All they do is initiate or fuel crises with religious sentiments and it has become more of an islamic religion newspaper instead of a circular one. i will always remember their bias reportage of the jos crises.

I am glad today that a state government has banned their reporter from reporting in jigawa state. Pls i call on other state government to do same. Daily trust newspaper is a propaganda newspaper. Hardly seen a newspaper where all the staff are muslims including all the management.

This is a case of what goes around, comes around.
Congrats Governor lamido.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Beaf: 11:19am On May 26, 2011
Daily Trust has had it coming for a long time. Buncha bigoted scoundrels. angry
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Abayomin70(m): 1:25pm On May 26, 2011
nice on
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 26, 2011
A great move from the Jigawa state governement!!!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by jmaine: 1:34pm On May 26, 2011
Beaf:

grin grin
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Kx: 1:41pm On May 26, 2011
Thought Daily Trust was pro north.
What is the position of FOI Act to issues of this nature?
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by 702: 1:44pm On May 26, 2011
Sule Lamido is jus the man!!!!! grin smiley , he jus can't stand fake reports bout from his state! cool
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by batiatus(m): 1:45pm On May 26, 2011
there are many newspapers around, if u dont lyk dailytrust no prblm simply read ur THIS DAY and stick 2 it. Wel d FOI bil is yet 2 be passed let see if any state has d right 2 ban a journalist. This is a case of reporter saying wat d state govt doesnt lyk.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by DaDoctor: 1:46pm On May 26, 2011
IF ONLY THE FOI BILL HAS BEEN PASSED!!!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Odunnu: 1:48pm On May 26, 2011
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Odunnu: 1:49pm On May 26, 2011
Sule lamido seems like a no nonsense man.
[s]sahara reporters should be disconnected too.[/s]
bunch of twats
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by DoubleN(m): 1:54pm On May 26, 2011
702:

Sule Lamido is jus the man!!!!! grin smiley , he jus can't stand fake reports bout from his state! cool
Is this not the same Sule Lamido that arrested a young man, locked him up and ordered for him to be brutalized because he insulted him on his facebook page?
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Kanana(m): 2:03pm On May 26, 2011
hillsate:

I have always talked about the bias and nonsensical reportage of news from daily trust newspaper. All they do is initiate or fuel crises with religious sentiments and it has become more of an islamic religion newspaper instead of a circular one. i will always remember their bias reportage of the jos crises.

I am glad today that a state government has banned their reporter from reporting in jigawa state. Pls i call on other state government to do same. Daily trust newspaper is a propaganda newspaper. Hardly seen a newspaper where all the staff are muslims including all the management.

Hey stop ranting and get a lyf. The saga has nothing to do with religion poster. Its ol politics and let it end there and stop bringing religious colouration to the whole issue. Btw Jigawa is a muslim state as such the "islamic religion newspaper" should not be having issues with the government huh. If you have a burning desire to see the paper crucified you can do that tru other means but definitly not when the paper castigated a muslim guvnor cos if u do it wunt have any basis.

Whats your problem with a paper having ol muslim staff? Do you have same problem with numerous papers having ol xtian staff? smh. c'mon pls lets stop lovin bin bigots.

1 Like

Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Skii(m): 2:05pm On May 26, 2011
He is kuku the one o
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 26, 2011
Daily trust must have a bad reporting on the activities of the governor.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Jarus(m): 2:28pm On May 26, 2011
Now, Sule Lamido has finally lost it. This was the same man that got a boy arrested for insulting him on Facebook.
If you don't like DT's coverage of your activities, stop reading it or prompt your PR team to work more, or, better still, establish your own newspaper like Osun's Aregbesola's Osun Defender or Tinubu's The Nation. To ban a newspaper reporter from being present at public functions, just because you're also there, is dictatorial, and reminds one of military.

If one remembers that this was the same progressive Sule Lamido, trained together with Abubakar Rimi, by Aminu Kano in the second republic, one can only shakes one head. Aminu Kano must be turning in his grave for this.

Two, I agree DT has sympathy for the North and Islam, but it will be most unfair to accuse them of this while forgetting other papers like Tribune and Champions which also have regional/religious bend. DT is owned by a northerner and has the North as its main base.

Btw, Theophilus Abbah, one of their Editors, is a Christian.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by cold(m): 2:37pm On May 26, 2011
This is completely wrong.If we allow this wound to fester simply because they're 'northerners' or pro-north.What right would we have to speak out when another governor in the south expels ThisDay or the Tribune for being pro-PDP?Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere,we must not allow this to continue.This is not a police state,last time I checked we were in a democracy or something like that
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Muktar05(m): 2:49pm On May 26, 2011
Hey! You can simply stick to other newspapers in the country. Dey joli
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Muktar05(m): 2:50pm On May 26, 2011
Hey! You can simply stick to other newspapers in the country. Dey joli
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by chines4(m): 2:51pm On May 26, 2011
cold:

This is completely wrong.If we allow this wound to fester simply because they're 'northerners' or pro-north.What right would we have to speak out when another governor in the south expels ThisDay or the Tribune for being pro-PDP?Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere,we must not allow this to continue.This is not a police state,last time I checked we were in a democracy or something like that
WORD
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by gungume: 3:02pm On May 26, 2011
majority of people from south have egocentric views in their minds for saying DT is a sectional and religious bigot newspaper. What will they say to a VANGUARD newspaper that is always writing bad comments against northerners and muslims, or because is a sourthern based newspaper?
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Eziachi: 3:10pm On May 26, 2011
Typical Nigerians, celebrating gagging of press freedom because the papers reporting or opinions doesn't marry with yours and that of your chosen politicians.

silly Obama- Why not send the FIB after Fox News and their employees for saying nasty things about you?

Welcome to Nigerian democracy. Sorry Fresh Air!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by ektbear: 3:12pm On May 26, 2011
^-- I clicked the reply button and was going to write something in favor of 'freedom of the press', but you beat me to it
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by talktrue1(m): 3:20pm On May 26, 2011
Sahara reporters should also be banned. Most of their news are fake
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by reindeer: 3:20pm On May 26, 2011
Jarus:

Now, Sule Lamido has finally lost it. This was the same man that got a boy arrested for insulting him on Facebook.
If you don't like DT's coverage of your activities, stop reading it or prompt your PR team to work more, or, better still, establish your own newspaper like Osun's Aregbesola's Osun Defender or Tinubu's The Nation. To ban a newspaper reporter from being present at public functions, just because you're also there, is dictatorial, and reminds one of military.

If one remembers that this was the same progressive Sule Lamido, trained together with Abubakar Rimi, by Aminu Kano in the second republic, one can only shakes one head. Aminu Kano must be turning in his grave for this.

Two, I agree DT has sympathy for the North and Islam, but it will be most unfair to accuse them of this while forgetting other papers like Tribune and Champions which also have regional/religious bend. DT is owned by a northerner and has the North as its main base.

Btw, Theophilus Abbah, one of their Editors, is a Christian.

May everything you do be blessed!
I can't imagine what rights he has to stop a newspaper registered in Nigeria and paying taxes from reporting from his state. This is sheer bigotry. He could have sued them for wrong reporting , he could report them to any supervising commission, he could even get a court injunction but to want to gag the press is sheer stuupidity.
I feel bad for him because of his intolerance but i feel worse for everyone happy at and justifying this poorly thought out decision.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by 702: 3:21pm On May 26, 2011
Double N:

Is this not the same Sule Lamido that arrested a young man, locked him up and ordered for him to be brutalized because he insulted him on his facebook page?

yeah, he got a personal beef wiv d guys dad. if nt 4 sum strong political figures the guy wud have suffered more than 10 days in jail. durin the crises , u cant hear of thugs rollin on the streets cuz that had been well taken of! he is a no nonsense dude! thinkin mayb he gt a military bkgrund
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Meldrick(m): 3:48pm On May 26, 2011
cold:

True talk brother.
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Egelife(m): 3:55pm On May 26, 2011
Freedom of Information still being oppressed in Nigeria, maybe the poor editor had published some true negetive deeds of Jigawa state Govt sad
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Gift4all(m): 4:11pm On May 26, 2011
Govenor Sule Lamido has no right whatsoever to ban any journalist from reporting anything. If the journalist is a security threat to him, he should say so. If the guy is giving false reports on him, he can sue him.

I think DT should send someone else to Jigawa, for security reasons.

hillsate:

That DT ehn,
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by Parnassuss(m): 4:14pm On May 26, 2011
I don't believe it. See dolts just posting about on NL, I think its time to start out the "Stamp Out Stupidity" campaign on NL! What's with all these totally imbecilic posts;
hillsate:

702:

Ozin:

A great move from the Jigawa state governement!!!
Beaf:

You have all been classified SOS, you twits!
Re: Jigawa State Govt Bans Daily Trust Newspaper by md4real(m): 4:18pm On May 26, 2011
Beaf:

you are so predictable. i knew you say the above exactly. to those haters, stick to your thisday, vanguard and tribune. daily trust rocks and we love it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stella Oduah, Kicked Out Of Anambra Senate Contest / Bagudu’s N20,000 Account Shocks His Kidnappers / Photos Of Salomi Pogu, The Chibok Girl Rescued Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.