Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,375 members, 7,923,500 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 08:24 AM

How I Ventured Into Software Engineering - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How I Ventured Into Software Engineering (2233 Views)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / A Place Where You Are Empowered To Turn Your Ideas Into Software Products / Ethical Hacking Vs Software Engineering: Advice Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How I Ventured Into Software Engineering by Angelawhite(m): 2:34pm On Sep 23, 2021
Starting off a career in software engineering is not the easiest.

I have always been interested in computers and programming since I was young, but my parents didn't want me to be an engineer because they thought it would take too much time away from studying for college entrance exams. They were right; I spent most of my high school years doing nothing but studying for tests.

Due to this, when I got into university, I decided that I wanted to study something else instead. This led me to choose computer science as one of my majors. However, after taking some introductory courses on basic algorithms and data structures (which I really enjoyed), I realized that there wasn't enough material available about web development or mobile app development for me to feel confident with what I had learned in class. Instead, I chose to major in electrical engineering. The only problem with this choice was that I couldn't find any jobs related to electronics. After all, many companies don't hire engineers without experience in their field. So, I started looking for other options.

When I saw advertisements for remote work positions, I knew immediately that this was my chance. My plan was to get some real life experience by working remotely while also getting paid for it. It took several months before I finally landed a job at a company based out of San Francisco. Since then, I've worked for them almost every week over the past three years. Due to being so busy, I haven't gotten around to finishing my degree yet, which means that I still need to finish up two more semesters of classes. But if everything goes well, I should be able to graduate sometime next year!

Nowadays, I'm part of a team who develops new products for our clients. We're responsible for designing and developing custom applications for different industries. Some of these apps are desktop-based, others are web-based, and a few are even mobile-applications. While we mostly focus on creating business solutions, sometimes we'll do small projects just for fun, like making websites and games for ourselves.

My current project involves building a gaming application called 'Please Hit Me!' for the Android platform. At first, I thought that it might be difficult to make such an application due to how popular Angry Birds is nowadays. But thanks to the success of that game, it's actually easier than expected to create a similar product. All you have to do is think of your own idea and see whether people will enjoy playing it. If they do, go ahead and build it.

As long as you can keep track of user feedback, you shouldn't encounter any problems. In fact, you could easily turn a profit by selling merchandise through your website or social media accounts. Also, since most users are very happy with the gameplay, you won't have any issues finding sponsors for advertising campaigns. And lastly, since you'll already know what kind of response your app gets, you'll be better prepared to handle future updates and improvements.

In my opinion, this type of app has great potential to become extremely profitable. As soon as I publish Please Hit Me!, I expect its popularity to skyrocket overnight. I hope you'll consider trying it out for yourself!

It feels good knowing I did something right today.

Source: http://www.tetula.com/2021/09/how-i-ventured-into-software-engineering.html

1 Like

Re: How I Ventured Into Software Engineering by LikeAking: 10:35pm On Sep 23, 2021
Nice one.

Make money first.

School later, later.

/#GPS/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Experience Using An AMD Based System / Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? / Nairalanders Who Build 10k Websites. How Do You Make Profits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.