Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,240 members, 7,950,308 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 11:56 AM

I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today (4893 Views)

INEC: As Jega Bows Out Today / Nigerian Twitter Shower Encomium On Fashola As He Bows Out Of Office As Governor / PDP Goes Tough On Governors Who Want To Go To Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by moremi2008(m): 8:21am On May 31, 2011
KnowAll:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=421024&page=42

This sub-urban train running from Accra- Tema(a distance of about 35 miles) cost the Ghanian Goverment $35 million Dollars, How much is the Ojo -Marina line costing Lagos State Goverment- $500 million dollars. I am not glorifying Akala's reign, I am only saying the guy said he left no debt for the in-coming Goverment. It remains for the in-coming Goverment to refute his claim.

How do we reconcile Fashola's deceit over an inflated and bloated contract with those of Akala,  are they not birds of the same feather the only difference is Fashola is a " lovable rogue" and Akala is not. Are we not talking of the same Fashola that built Lekki at N1 billion per mile, abeg u people let us be objective,
undecided

Of course, Fashola is also a thieving scoundrel but Nigeria is so bad, that people will throw down a red carpet for a thieving scoundrel that is performing and doing something, anything, to move the country/state forward. Everybody knows that the Communist Party in China is rotten to the core with corruption but they look the other way because it is moving the country forward and the alternatives are 100x worse. I'll take Fashola over Akala and Obasanjo over Jonathan any day.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by KnowAll(m): 8:25am On May 31, 2011
C'mon, did you actually wrote this? FYI, Lekki- Epe Expressway is a concessioned road , as in PPP. The govt did NOT contribute not provided even the bond/guarantee to the concessionaires. The parties(axis residents, the concessionaire and the govt) are currently engaged in attempts to resolve the issues of tolling. Pls get your facts right. For your information, work stopped sometime ago because of issues of tolling and percentage of work done

Bloated contract has being the bane of the Tinubu/Fashola regime, Lagos is moving at a snail speed development-wise. I went through the 45 pages of the Accra web site, that city is changing for the good. Affordable Luxurious flats springing up around the airport, and guess who the investors are - Naijas- they steal your money and go and invest in another man's country. Iwould advise you to take the patience and go through all 45 pages on  that web site. You would see a morden City in the making and they  are not praise singing like Fashola's millions of PR men.

Accra in 5 years time would over-take Lagos if care is not taken.

Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by ektbear: 8:27am On May 31, 2011
^-- lmao.

I guess you are just trolling

I'll leave it be
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by fuke(m): 8:33am On May 31, 2011
You know at times, I think Akalas performane is not too bad compared to other PDP  governors.

I think he is much better than OGD and Oni in Ekiti state. I have live in Ibadan for more than 40 years
and I am from Ekiti, so  I should know what I am saying. The road to my house which I have been living
in Ibadan for more than 20 years was not tarred until last year and I heard the Teaching hospital is enormous.

Akalas major problem is packaging. He  dresses like a motor pack kingpin. He fights everybody,  He talks anyhow.
Now, even if you were Awolowo you will lose election. He  just had to go.

Anyway a member of Asiwaju Team is  here. An  omoluabi is here.  Ibadan will rise again

1 Like

Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by KnowAll(m): 8:35am On May 31, 2011
^-- lmao.

I guess you are just trolling

I'll leave it be

Let us be realistic here, someone said the BRT Buses that they keep on harping on about(Tinubu/Fashola) are falling to pieces so did someone says, If that is true then we have no hope. I did not know Accra uses double-decker buses like the ones in London, one would have expected a city of 18 million like Lagos to purchase such buses, if I can find the picture of the double-decker buses I would post it.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by KnowAll(m): 8:38am On May 31, 2011
You know at times, I think Akalas performane is not too bad compared to other PDP  governors.

I think he is much better than OGD and Oni in Ekiti state. I have live in Ibadan for more than 40 years
and I am from Ekiti, so  I should know what I am saying. The road to my house which I have been living
in Ibadan for more than 20 years was not tarred until last year and I heard the Teaching hospital is enormous.

Akalas major problem is packaging. He  dresses like a motor pack kingpin. He fights everybody,  He talks anyhow.
Now, even if you were Awolowo you will lose election. He  just had to go.

Anyway a member of Asiwaju Team is  here. An  omoluabi is here.  Ibadan will rise again

I grew in Ibadan, he had to Go, his best was not good enough, and of course he was not the worse of a really bad lot. In fact he did more in Ibadan than a few  previous Ibadan indigene Governors.

1 Like

Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by deols(f): 9:11am On May 31, 2011
so many roads were constructed but these roads started 2 damage b4 their completion nd evry1 knows why. SO, while some1 like u wld see those as achievements, others would think of the numba of billions gone into private accounts.

I also believe there were worse governors than Akala but he had too many issues.

Ibadan pple right from time wont take just anything. They are politically vibrant and both the rich nd the poor, the educated nd uneducated are aware of the happenings in politics. Word goes round so fast nd politics is discussed over meals. For that reason, it isnt easy for any government to come nd just go wvout so much criticism. The only reason other Nigerians joined is because Ibadan pple started the cries nd d Media was a good partner.

nd any one had better learn that even someone like Bola Ige didnt get a second term despite his good performance.

1 Like

Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by shadrach77: 10:39am On May 31, 2011
some people are hated for no reason - people just hate Akala for no reason - what did the governors before him achieve? (Ishola, Lam Adeshina, Ladoja etc) - let's give the man some credit cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by agentzakky(m): 10:39am On May 31, 2011
This sub-urban train running from Accra- Tema(a distance of about 35 miles) cost the Ghanian Goverment $35 million Dollars, How much is the Ojo -Marina line costing Lagos State Goverment- $500 million dollars. I am not glorifying Akala's reign, I am only saying the guy said he left no debt for the in-coming Goverment. It remains for the in-coming Goverment to refute his claim.

How do we reconcile Fashola's deceit over an inflated and bloated contract with those of Akala,  are they not birds of the same feather the only difference is Fashola is a " lovable rogue" and Akala is not. Are we not talking of the same Fashola that built Lekki at N1 billion per mile, abeg u people let us be objective, Undecided

You are very ignorant about construction. you are comparing construction in lagos to that of accra, have you forgotten the compensations that will  be paid to owners of demolished houses? dont you know houses are expensive in lagos and so will be the compensations. have you considered the nature of the soil in lagos? have you,
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Nobody: 11:08am On May 31, 2011
@ ekt-bear,First, Lagos is not N154 billion in debt. It is N124. Second, no one has to borrow in life. . . but this limits whats you can accomplish and how quickly you can grow

My guy your statement above reminds me of Salawa Abeni music that tells the story of a guy who hate 9 out of 10 raps of EBA and said he does not feel like eating much.What is the difference btw N154 million and N124million?
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Nobody: 11:09am On May 31, 2011
Correction ate not hate
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Nobody: 11:26am On May 31, 2011
I am sick and tired of all these in-coming administrations accusing their Predecessor of stealing and Debt.If they have stolen,go after them by using EFCC and so on.Most of them accuse this out-going Governors to prepare way for their own round of stealing
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by otitokoro1: 12:10pm On May 31, 2011
You are very ignorant about construction. you are comparing construction in lagos to that of accra, have you forgotten the compensations that will be paid to owners of demolished houses? dont you know houses are expensive in lagos and so will be the compensations. have you considered the nature of the soil in lagos? have you,

Sometimes I wonder if Nigerians have the mind set to make this country better. Why do we defend corruption as if it is written in our constitution. No matter what circumstances, the margin of the inflation is too outrageous - $35 million Dollars to $500 million dollars. You are talking about paying compensation to demolished houses, are there no laws guiding housing? All I know is that no one can hide form his shadow, Akala, Fashola and all of them are all equal, they are all thieves.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by bestman09(m): 12:56pm On May 31, 2011
Akala did his best for Oyo state no doubt. All his criticts will never perform magic if given the chance to govern a 'backward' state like Oyo state. No industry or factory. Monthly revenue stood at FG N2.4B, Internal revenue N1B, MONTHLY SALARY FOR THE STATE WORKERS N2.5B, Yet he didnt borrow an used the little he had to do the little he did also. I live in Ibadan and i know that his problem is that the Ibadan elites feel that an outsider should not be ruling while they are there. Fighting the NURTW was one of his greatest challenges. Can you immagine how many people that lost their lives yesterday because of the NURTW issue. Lets be frank, AKALA DID HIS BEST
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by KnowAll(m): 1:02pm On May 31, 2011
You are very ignorant about construction. you are comparing construction in lagos to that of accra, have you forgotten the compensations that will be paid to owners of demolished houses? dont you know houses are expensive in lagos and so will be the compensations. have you considered the nature of the soil in lagos? have you,

[b]Plus or minus lets assume Lagos would cost 3 times more than what Accra spent, on the project, I would not personally trust any spurious compensation payment made by Lagos State unless they make the information public, whereby the amount given to each of the stake-holders would be explicitly annotated in a public domain.

Compensation payments in Nigeria is covered and shrouded in all kind of secrecy, in most cases they pull the figures from the air. I would not vouch for such payments in Nigeria, it is just another handsome way and avenue to milk the system.

If I and any other interested members of the general public cannot physically tie a name to a specific person and to a specific property with such details such as the telephone numbers of the beneficiaries in case of future verification then no show.

I believe such information should be in the public domain in a true spirit of freedom of information. People in Naija just open their mouth we want FOI in Naija without them knowing what it entails.[/b]
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Mariory(m): 1:26pm On May 31, 2011
KnowAll:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=421024&page=42

How do we reconcile Fashola's deceit over an inflated and bloated contract with those of Akala,  are they not birds of the same feather the only difference is Fashola is a " lovable rogue" and Akala is not. Are we not talking of the same Fashola that built Lekki at N1 billion per mile, abeg u people let us be objective,

You are a pathetic and untruthful snake.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by KnowAll(m): 1:34pm On May 31, 2011
You are a pathetic and untruthful snake.

Keep on praising Fashola and watch your city go to the dogs, this morning I heard Warmart is about to open stores in S.A. and most of the countries in Southern Africa like Botswana, Namibia and Angola. The only other country mentioned in sub-sahara Africa was Ghana.

Our leaders are short changing us seriously meanwhile investing big time in Accra, continue wallowing in your slum city.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Katsumoto: 2:11pm On May 31, 2011
What really was the point of this thread? To exonerate Akala or to use this as a launch pad to bash other governors? I fail to see the the moronic (I apologise in advance) logic in this post. Akala should not be criticised because other governors were just as corrupt and incompetent? It doesn't matter what other governors did, Akala owed good governance to the people of Oyo and not to the people of Ogun or Lagos. It appears you are telling the people of Oyo not to crucify Akala because other governors did just as badly. I am afraid that is a naive way of thinking.

You are not from Lagos State; the people of Lagos State are happy with their governor. They voted for him overwhelmingly. The people of Oyo and Ogun were not happy with their governors and voted them out. That is all that matters.

Akala and OGD were two of the worst governors in Nigeria. It doesn't matter which one was worse; what matters is that we recognise that they were corrupt and incompetent. Comparing them is just fruitless.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by KnowAll(m): 2:42pm On May 31, 2011
What really was the point of this thread? To exonerate Akala or to use this as a launch pad to bash other governors? I fail to see the the moronic (I apologise in advance) logic in this post. Akala should not be criticised because other governors were just as corrupt and incompetent? It doesn't matter what other governors did, Akala owed good governance to the people of Oyo and not to the people of Ogun or Lagos. It appears you are telling the people of Oyo not to crucify Akala because other governors did just as badly. I am afraid that is a naive way of thinking.

You are not from Lagos State; the people of Lagos State are happy with their governor. They voted for him overwhelmingly. The people of Oyo and Ogun were not happy with their governors and voted them out. That is all that matters.

Akala and OGD were two of the worst governors in Nigeria. It doesn't matter which one was worse; what matters is that we recognise that they were corrupt and incompetent. Comparing them is just fruitless.
[quote][/quote]

[b]The point of the thread is to view our Governance in this country holistically. We cannot exonerate in-competency in any other part of our polity because we are talking of Akala of Oyo State. What is annoying amongst some of our leaders is, despite squandering the standard statutory allocations, some of our Governor’s have the effrontery to go and borrow more this is what I would call and term “double jeopardy” or “double wahala” to the polity. This stuupidity must not be condoned and neither should we because we love the snail speed development in Lagos and also love the Gentleman in that state turn our eyes the other way when items, goods, services that can be provided by a fraction of the cost is being sort after and provided at mind blowing extortionist cost,

We are 12 years into our democracy; contracts amongst many countries in Europe are fairly comparable, so is wages both minimum and maximum pay of public officers. Contract implementation and awards amongst West-African states should also be fairly comparable too.[/b]
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Katsumoto: 3:04pm On May 31, 2011
KnowAll:

[b]The point of the thread is to view our Governance in this country holistically. We cannot exonerate  in-competency in any other part of our polity because we are talking of Akala of Oyo State. What is annoying amongst some of our leaders is, despite squandering the standard statutory allocations, some of our Governor’s have the effrontery to go and borrow more this is what I would call and term “double jeopardy” or “double wahala” to the polity. This stuupidity must not be condoned and neither should we because we love the snail speed development in Lagos and also love the Gentleman in that state turn our eyes the other way when items, goods, services that can be provided by a fraction of the cost is being sort after and provided at mind blowing extortionist cost,

We are 12 years into our democracy; contracts amongst many countries in Europe are fairly comparable, so is wages both minimum and maximum pay of public officers. Contract implementation and awards amongst West-African states should also be fairly comparable too.[/b]

If the point of the thread is to highlight the failings and incompetence of Nigerian leaders why start a thread trying to exonorate the worst of the incompetent and corrupt leaders? Also why compare Akala to other governors? You don't get prizes for being the least incompetent and corrupt governor; you are still incompetent and corrupt. It is not too relevant that Akala did not borrow; what is relevant is that development is non-existent. Those investors that invested in Ogun took very high risks because the people of Ogun will not contribute to pay their (the investors) premiums. Successive governors (Ogun) may use the allocation from the FG to pay the debt but the citizens are unlikely to be affected anyway, since the governors they have had over the years have,by and large, been incompetent.

BTW, your fixation with Lagos State is disturbing. There has been a rot all over Nigeria for the last 50 years. No one, I repeat, no one CAN come in and clear the rot in 4 years. Fashola is doing his best giving the environment he has to work in. It is true that not all projects will be executed efficiently and effectively but as it is, Lagos is setting the benchmark for other states. Most of the new governors will be forced to at LEAST try and not just carry on with the usual corrupt way of doing things. At least I hope.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by ektbear: 3:25pm On May 31, 2011
Ozin:

@ ekt-bear,First, Lagos is not N154 billion in debt. It is N124. Second, no one has to borrow in life. . . but this limits whats you can accomplish and how quickly you can grow

My guy your statement above reminds me of Salawa Abeni music that tells the story of a guy who hate 9 out of 10 raps of EBA and said he does not feel like eating much.What is the difference btw N154 million and N124million?

N30 billion = $200 million. 24%+ of the debt. You don't think that is a significant amount

What is wrong with using the correct #s rather than wrong ones, when arguing a point?
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by JimmyBoy1: 6:48pm On May 31, 2011
Beind indebted is not a permance measuremetn index, America is the most indebted country at the moment with about $14trillions dollars, are we now suggesting that Oyo-State is better managed than United States.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Dotman01(m): 6:58pm On May 31, 2011
^^^ God bless u, . . . .who even told the op akala left any money. I think u av to give the new govt few days to knw
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Dotman01(m): 7:20pm On May 31, 2011
Someone named lautech and mapo hall as his achievement?. . . Geeez,
Mapo hall was only repainted plus new floors with 600 million naira plus. . .and u call that achievement?
Lautech is owned by oyo and osun, the schl is in oyo state while the teaching hospital is in osun state,
@knwoall . . .why did he have to waste government money (20 something billion naira) by building new teaching hospital in ogbomosho without the approval of osun state govt?. . .and while knowing fully that there is a teaching hospital already in osun state.
*Doctors were on strike and u building hospitals, av been to the hospital. . .believe me, there is nothing special there, he built big big buildings without equiping them.
*civil servants especially teachers were always on strike,
*Seriously i can go on and on and on but i dnt really blv someone is praising akala except the person is one of his contractors sha!
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Mariory(m): 1:41am On Jun 01, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

Beind indebted is not a permance measuremetn index, America is the most indebted country at the moment with about $14trillions dollars, are we now suggesting that Oyo-State is better managed than United States.

I can't believe the lies he's been typing in this thread. Extremely remarkable.

*SMH*
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by sandokaa: 5:09pm On Jun 01, 2011
Dotun Oyelade and Chief Lakojo did not help to moderate Akala's excesses. They "chop and clean mouth" while the noisy Akala was digging his political grave, daring powerful Obas in the state like Alaafin, Iku Baba Yeye! Am not surprised that he did not return. His advisers failed to give him the right advice. Too late to cry now. His wife should take heart!
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by Shikena(m): 3:49pm On Jun 04, 2011
Strike: Ajimobi Appeals To Oyo Health Workers
http://tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/news/4315-strike-ajimobi-appeals-to-oyo-health-workers-.html

Written by Dare Adekanmbi Saturday, 04 June 2011

THE governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, has appealed to the striking health workers in the state to end their [i]seven-month-old industrial dispute [/i]and go back to work in the interest of the people of the state.

Senator Ajimobi made the appeal while declaring open the 51st annual delegate meeting and general conference of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) held at Ibadan Civic Centre, on Friday.

The governor, who attended the conference as his first official assignment
, said the meeting he had with the health workers, after  assumption of office, was a demonstration of the resolve of his administration to accord their welfare top priority.

He lamented the poor state of medical facilities and healthcare system left by the immediate past administration, promising to turn things around in the sector for the benefit of the citizenry.

“A situation where doctors perform surgical operations, using light from cell phone and candles is no longer acceptable in Oyo State. We will not improvise equipment in our hospitals. We will improve the conditions of service and are committed to the welfare of our health workers.

“We met inadequate number of medical doctors in the state and we will employ more doctors. We shall establish a primary health centre in every ward and review extant laws on regulation of private practitioners. I am committed to your welfare because[b] I am a professional in politics and not a professional politician[/b],” Ajimobi said.
Re: I Think Nairaland Has Been Tough On " Akala" Of Oyo State As He Bows Out Today by KnowAll(m): 3:24pm On Jun 05, 2011
Alao-Akala: The making of a new Ibadan city

| Print | E-mail
Written by Israel Asaju
Sunday, 19 September 2010

HAVING lived all my life in Ibadan , the Oyo State capital city, I am convinced to say that I understand Oyo State more than any other state in the whole of Nigeria .

Although not an Ibadan person by blood, and neither can I claim to be a citizen of Oyo State – given our rigid definition of citizenship in Nigeria – but, if the saying that home is anywhere one lives is anything to go by, then I am a son of the soil.

As a primary school pupil, I attended a school called Pupils Primary School , somewhere along the New Adeoyo Road , in Ibadan , and from there proceeded to the prestigious Government College Ibadan for my secondary school education. My university education took me to the University of Ibadan , where I had my first degree and a Masters degree.

Even now, I work with a company based in Ibadan and I have been living in the city all the days of my life.

So, even if I am not an indigene by blood definition, I am a native of Ibadan by socialization, which makes me qualified to pass a commentary on the development of the state (perhaps more than some other indigenes who merely rely on media commentaries to have a feel of what is happening in Oyo State.)

I also need to mention my age in order to give perspective to whatever I say on this public forum.

I was born in 1976; incidentally the same year Oyo State was created.

As a kid in 1979 into the early 80s, I could recollected that there was a popular face on our TV set at that time, and I grew to identify that face as that of the late Chief Bola Ige, who I also knew from narration, was the first civilian governor of Oyo State.

Throughout my growing up in Ibadan , development in the city was rigidly stagnant.

Without any fear of contradiction, I can confidently say that anyone who left the city of Ibadan in 1990 for instance, and returned in say, 2005, could not find any difficulty in reconnecting with the city, fifteen years after.

Reason: there was no physical development which could have redefined the outlook of the city. It was that bad.

The roads in Ibadan used to look the same boring way without anything new being added.

Not only that. There were no beautiful public buildings around town to suggest that the business environment was also flourishing.

In the entire stretch of the Ring Road where I spent my childhood years for instance, there were only two edifices which were the Crown Trust Building and the Capital Building, which is now a zonal office of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN). But now, things have changed, tremendously too.

For sure, it will be impropitious to credit one political administration for all the changes that have come to Ibadan particularly since 1999 to date.

But the truth of the matter is that put on the same measuring scale, I think the present Alao-Akala government has out-paced the previous two administrations of Governor Lam Adesina (1999-2003) and Rashidi Ladoja (2003-2007) in developing Oyo State, and Ibadan particularly.

While one cannot deny the fact that other previous administrations too did laudable projects especially in the area of road construction; neither of them, however, ever made a conscious effort in opening up the inner roads in Ibadan city, and by so doing, establish a nexus between infrastructural development and socio-economic regeneration, like the Alao-Akala administration is doing.

The first point of reference is the construction of the outer Ring Road which connects Oluyole Estate to New Garage, down to Apata, and Eleyele. The plan for the construction of the outter Ring Road had been there ever since the creation of Oyo State , but previous administrations have cleverly kept the plan in the folder.

The significance of this road is to reduce the burden on the first Ring Road, such that cars coming from Apata, for example, will not have to go through the Odu-Ona, Akinyemi juction.

Now, it is possible to connect New Garage from Oluyole Estate without coming out to the first Ring Road. That was the intentions of planners of the Ibadan City.

Apart from constructing the Outter Ring Road, one other road of significant importance in Ibadan is the dualisation of the Molete-Oke-Bola-J.Allen-Queen Cinema-Adamasingba road.

The importance of this road is that the colonial settlers in Ibadan had designed this route which links to Lebanon Street as the commercial nerve-centre of the city. This is because the Lebanese were the major traders in the early days of cosmopolitan Ibadan city.

That is why that all the major indigenous markets in Ibadan like the Agbeni market, the Ogunpa market, the old Gbagi market, all cluster around this route.

In contemporary time too, many commercial banks and federal institutions like the Ibadan Branch of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) are sited along the route.

Apart from these two critical road network, there are lots other road projects in Ibadan such that I often tell my friends, who reside in Lagos, that there is no luxury they enjoy as far as good road network is concerned that we in Ibadan are deprived of. That is the plain truth.

Apart from road construction, the Alao-Akala government has also refurbished the major public hospitals in the state like the Old Adeoyo Hospital , the New Adeoyo Hospital and the Oni and Sons Paediatrics Hospital. In many of these hospitals, especially, the Old Adeoyo Hospital which was established over a century ago, nothing new was added to it until now under the Alao-Akala administration.

Another significant change in Ibadan is the gradual and steady phase off of old mass transit buses known as Danfo. Now, all over Ibadan we have city cabs, some of which are solely private sector run, while others are in form of partnership between the public and the private sector.

In all, Ibadan may not yet be like the Mega City of Lagos, but a lot is changing in the development of the city of Ibadan , much thanks to the Governor of Oyo State, Adebayo Alao-Akala, who is also often referred to as the Uncommon Governor (Oyato Governor).

Asaju writes in from New Bodija, Ibadan.

That is a son of the soil TALKING, ALTHOUGH like myself not an Ibadan Indigene but just like this WRITER, I did MY primary, secondary and Uni in that City, including Service, so this gentleman has given what I can call a fair assessment of Akala's stewardship, we would hope Ajimobi would raise the goal post further, otherwise Akala would do a " Kwankwoso" in Oyo State.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Raises Alarm Over 2011 Budget / Uwani Youths In Enugu Protest Against 4-months Black Out / Gen Buhari’s Daughter Reportedly Married To Ali Modu Sheriff’s Son (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.