Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,166 members, 7,916,411 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 10:47 PM

How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? (48141 Views)

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy / Which Of These Soups Is Best With Akpu? / Have You Tried Egusi Stew With White Rice? Yes There Is Egusi Stew For Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Tapout(m): 10:33pm On Oct 30, 2021
My colleague forced me to eat ewedu for the first time in my life on Wednesday. There's just something about that soup that doesn't seem right grin

I've not eaten gbegiri and that miyan kuka, and I grew up eating banga with white rice.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by smile4kenn(m): 10:50pm On Oct 30, 2021
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by HonBen(m): 10:50pm On Oct 30, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

See why Igbo people are a Nation.

You're comparing a single tribe, with a company of large tribes.

Ahn Ahn. And they only gave them 5 states.

Gowon you don't have sense sha
Gen.Yakub Gowon that's even old enough to father your father.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by 9jakool: 11:31pm On Oct 30, 2021
36STATES:

They like to give everything their Yoruba names. Like none existent Ofada rice. Even rice grown in the north and east are called Ofada rice by average Yoruba man, even though there is no rice grown in Ofada in any significant quantity. They even have Abakeleke and Sokoto rice bagged and lebled Ofada rice.

You have no clue what ofada rice is. Almost all of the rice consumed in Nigeria is Asian variety rice and that includes Abakaliki and Sokoto rice. The Asian variety has largely replaced African variety rice. Ofada rice is unique since its blend contains native African rice, so you cannot try to sell abakaliki rice on the market as ofada rice, because the color and taste would give it away. Ofada is where the rice was first developed which is why it takes that name. While the town no longer produces ofada rice, other parts of SW do.

Also, what's wrong with giving food Yoruba names? Other countries give indigenous names for their food but many suffering with colomentality have been attempting to anglicize the names of traditional dishes and they always fail.

Efo riro is called vegetable soup, when it's not in the slightest a true liquid soup.
Asaro is called yam porridge, even though porridge to an oyinbo would be made from grains not yam.
Ayamase is now "designer" stew.
ogi called pap is a word used in South Africa to describe a type of swallow.
The list goes on and on.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Probz(m): 2:08am On Oct 31, 2021
No less than 6 (7 if ofe akwu can be regarded as a type of banga soup).
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by princewarri1985: 3:50am On Oct 31, 2021
iamyemiakins:

Igbo?

Let Nairalanders help us settle this, which tribe has the best soups of all tribes in Nigeria?

Like for Igbo (South-East)
Share for South-South (Ijaw & others...)
AM FROM DELTA STATE BUT AKWA IBOM HAS THE BEST SOUPS IN ALL THE STATES, EDINKANG IKONG SOUP AND AFAM SOUP WITH POUNDED YAM, I CAN KILL FOR THIS FOOD

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by EagleNest(m): 6:57am On Oct 31, 2021
Oha Soup and Ofe Owerri not on the list
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by WispyEthereal: 8:09am On Oct 31, 2021
geechy:
Use geechy

@op.. South east and south south +south west have more soup on your menu... Why is it that na only miya kuka be the only soup from the north on the menu..??

North sef no get food ... If not danwake
oya give us the northern list of soups
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by WispyEthereal: 8:13am On Oct 31, 2021
Blessiing:

I can cook all and have also eaten all of them, i actually like trying out new soups and things too.
weh done! That is cookastic!
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by malcom1X: 9:13am On Oct 31, 2021
Afriqan:

Egusi is different from Enugu. Maybe Sunday Igboho is also an Igbo man. :-

In case you didn't know Egusi (melon soup) is a native soup to Yorubas as well as other tribes all across West Africa. While I agree that not only Yorubas eat it, it is a traditional Yoruba soup. Same as Okro, Apon (Igbos call it ogbono),obe ewuro (bitter leaf soup)...

I'm not saying melon soup isn't eaten by every tribe, all I'm saying is look at the guy I quoted. He mentioned soups in Yoruba names then added Egusi.

The name Egusi is an Igbo name, the yorubas should have their own name for Egusi soup.

Except in this case they don't.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by malcom1X: 9:17am On Oct 31, 2021
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 31, 2021
malcom1X:

I'm not saying melon soup isn't eaten by every tribe, all I'm saying is look at the guy I quoted. He mentioned soups in Yoruba names then added Egusi.

The name Egusi is an Igbo name, the yorubas should have their own name for Egusi soup.

Except in this case they don't.

Egusi is not an Igbo word. It Is a West African word. The same meaning Egusi has in Igbo is what it has in Yoruba. Same as Garri. Garri sounds like a Yoruba word, but it is used all over West Africa... So pls...
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Usihyelda(m): 11:34am On Oct 31, 2021
Okro, egusi, miyan kuka
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Blessiing(f): 11:39am On Oct 31, 2021
WispyEthereal:
weh done! That is cookastic!

Thank you
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by geechy: 1:44pm On Oct 31, 2021
WispyEthereal:
oya give us the northern list of soups

Wispy... Them get headless soups in the north.
1 miya kuka
2 kupewa ... Kind of okra
3. Zogale... This one flushes the system
4. Beans soup... Made with beans as thickener
Of these I've eaten kupewa and Zogale at some point
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Kfed4ril(m): 2:02pm On Oct 31, 2021
Afriqan:
I love all 5 Yoruba soups: Efo Riro, Ewedu + Gbegiri, Okro soup and Egusi... Yum!

Lol
How’s okro and Egusi Yoruba soup?

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 31, 2021
Kfed4ril:

Lol
How’s okro and Egusi Yoruba soup?

Do Igbos own them instead? undecided
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Evaromantik1(m): 6:20pm On Oct 31, 2021
Afriqan:
I love all 5 Yoruba soups: Efo Riro, Ewedu + Gbegiri, Okro soup and Egusi... Yum!

And who told you Okro and Egusi are Yoruba Soups?.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 31, 2021
Evaromantik1:

And who told you Okro and Egusi are Yoruba Soups?.

They are traditionally eaten by our different tribes, so I am not stopping other tribes from claiming it as well. At least Okro and Egusi soup isn't native to Igbos alone, Yorubas, Benin even other West African countries eat it.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by 123papas(m): 8:30pm On Oct 31, 2021
I have eaten all
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by nanauju(f): 9:41pm On Oct 31, 2021
Afriqan:

CNN, keep telling me what our soups are... undecided
Every tribe cooks it, so our own people can't say their own Egusi is theirs again? Nna mechie onu there! grin

Onye nzuzu
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Classickj(m): 10:09pm On Oct 31, 2021
chopbanana:

The best of all is that Gbegiri and ewedu, u need to try it before condemning it mehn, u will forever stay glued forever.
ewedu ké
Ewedu is like okro, with stew or oil you can't eat it
Same with gbegiri
Banga
Egusi
Ogbono
Afang any day anytime cheesycheesy
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 31, 2021
nanauju:

Onye nzuzu

God bless you ...
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Kfed4ril(m): 10:57am On Nov 01, 2021
Afriqan:

Do Igbos own them instead? undecided

I’m not arguing with you, I’ll just tell you to browse the history of the soups.
The only known soups of Yoruba origin are ewedu and gbegiri.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Clinghton: 3:01pm On Nov 01, 2021
Can you tell me how to cook afang soup?
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 01, 2021
Kfed4ril:

I’m not arguing with you, I’ll just tell you to browse the history of the soups.
The only known soups of Yoruba origin are ewedu and gbegiri.

Why not talk about your own native food and leave Yoruba food issues for Yoruba? undecided
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Kfed4ril(m): 3:58pm On Nov 01, 2021
Afriqan:

Why not talk about your own native food and leave Yoruba food issues for Yoruba? undecided

Igbo soups are too numerous to count, almost every village in the east have their native soup.
If I start counting Igbo foods Nairaland can’t contain it. Including the very Egusi and okro you’re trying to claim.
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 01, 2021
Kfed4ril:

Igbo soups are too numerous to count, almost every village in the east have their native soup.
If I start counting Igbo foods Nairaland can’t contain it. Including the very Egusi and okro you’re trying to claim.

Mention 10 excluding bitter leaf, ogbono (Apon in Yoruba), Okro, Egusi, all of which are native to most West African tribes, let me know how many soup Igbos have... undecided
Re: How Many Of These Soups Have You Tried? by Kfed4ril(m): 4:30pm On Nov 01, 2021
Afriqan:

Mention 10 excluding bitter leaf, ogbono (Apon in Yoruba), Okro, Egusi, all of which are native to most West African tribes, let me know how many soup Igbos have... undecided

Ofe nsala
Ofe oha
Ofe anghara
Ofe ukazi
Ofe Owerri
Ofe onugbo
Ofe Achara
Ofe akwu
Ofe Ugbogoro
Ofe Ugba
Ofe Anala
Ofe Awa
Ofe Akwukwo nri
Ofe Uziza
Ofe Ukpo
Ofe Mpoto

Should I continue?
This are just soups o not food.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

See The Nsala (White) Soup That Will Make You Keep Asking For More (Photos,Video / ABCs Of Cake Making / Deliver Fruit And Vegetables Basket To Your Door Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.