Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,526 members, 7,895,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 01:34 AM

Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? (7718 Views)

Masters In Telecoms Or IT / Solar Engineering Or Telecoms Engineering / What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Sanchez01: 2:15pm On Oct 29, 2021
AdeniyiAr9:
Good morning house,
I currently work with one of the telecoms companies in Nigeria on a contract job; the pay is 60k (720k per annum). However, aside my salary, I do one or two things on the job that gives me like 10 k every week.

Approximately I earn about 100 k every month. I started this job started early this year.
While on this job, I got connected for a new job with an indigenous oil company on a full time basis and was surprised the pay is 1.2m per annum, though I truthfully expected more. For this new job am to leave my comfort zone in south western Nigeria for the south south.

I currently run my masters degree, meaning I will have to defer my admission. I'm also very much always needed in Church

Note my current job is without leave and it's contract based. But the new one is full time and am entitled to 5 weeks leave yearly.

Please serious advice needed. No bashing of any sort
First off, understand you are a contractor with the telecoms company and they don't handle your affairs when it comes to salaries amongst other things. Definitely, you are missing out on staff incentives and privileges. Unfortunately, contracted staff don't really stand a chance at becoming full time staff within the telecoms industry save you have bosses who like you and personally recommend you. Regardless, don't think of that happening anytime soon as there are those who have been on the waiting list for over a decade.

We are always needed in church and with or without you, the church will do just fine. As a matter of fact, you will be looked down on by the church if you are not sound financially.

At 1.2m annually, I would suggest you take this as it is quite better compared to telecoms. I once worked in the sector and felt nothing but pity for contract staff. You don't stand a chance here. My only concern is having to defer your Masters. Other than that, SWITCH ASAP!

5 Likes

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 29, 2021
U earn what I recieve as intrest monthly in my Money Market Fund acct

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by chloride6: 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2021
I'm also very much always needed in Church

This part na rubbish.

Na you get the church abi church no dey that other side?

My advice is for you to look for another job in Lagos that pays more.

That SS you wan go no be permanent site.

1 Like

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by scantee(m): 2:17pm On Oct 29, 2021
jlomz:

How much dem dey pay abeg?

It differs, but I can tell you staff on 3 months probation earns over 90k
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Pharaohny: 2:19pm On Oct 29, 2021
A
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Christianwealth(m): 2:23pm On Oct 29, 2021
hmm. indigenous company you say, how are you sure at the end of the month you would be paid.

you're old enough to know what to do since you've start earning money to know how to step it up due to inflation in the country.

to be realistic you don't need the church, you need God.

pray and let God lead you not your church.
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by charlsecy(m): 2:28pm On Oct 29, 2021
@AdeniyiAr9,
The church thingy made me too angry to advise you.

1 Like

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Southernigbo: 2:32pm On Oct 29, 2021
goodluckman:
Where Una dey see all this jobs, since 1 year now I have searched and searched, may God have mercy on me ooh and help me with one
I am a graduate of accounting ooh In case, God wan use person here bless me
na 4 internet we de get them
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Nnatuu: 2:40pm On Oct 29, 2021
Stay where you are now.
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by GodisFirst: 2:49pm On Oct 29, 2021
AdeniyiAr9:
Good morning house,
I currently work with one of the telecoms companies in Nigeria on a contract job; the pay is 60k (720k per annum). However, aside my salary, I do one or two things on the job that gives me like 10 k every week.

Approximately I earn about 100 k every month. I started this job started early this year.
While on this job, I got connected for a new job with an indigenous oil company on a full time basis and was surprised the pay is 1.2m per annum, though I truthfully expected more. For this new job am to leave my comfort zone in south western Nigeria for the south south.

I currently run my masters degree, meaning I will have to defer my admission. I'm also very much always needed in Church

Note my current job is without leave and it's contract based. But the new one is full time and am entitled to 5 weeks leave yearly.

I will advise you based on what you wrote here to stay with your current job.
You are already making more money on your current job than the new one but you are not taking note of it.

720K per annum plus 520K (10K per week) = 1.24M.

Continue with you current job and finish your Masters program. It is very important, after which you may gamble with other jobs if you still wish.

Going to a new place may cause you more on accommodation and transport and other inconveniences until you settle down. If you must go, look for a job that pays you at least 200K monthly. The reason is that by the time you are done with your Masters, your work has improved, the time and energy you are spending on this Masters program, you may conserve it and use it for other money making venture, it may increase from the 10k per month to 20k per month, you will see that you are now at roughly 1,76M annually.

What should drive your change of job should be more incentives and remuneration, job satisfaction, job security, better prospects and opportunities.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by VeeInsider: 2:50pm On Oct 29, 2021
goodluckman:
Where Una dey see all this jobs, since 1 year now I have searched and searched, may God have mercy on me ooh and help me with one

Which skills you get?
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by chenel: 2:51pm On Oct 29, 2021
Oil coy in south south, I hope it’s not Wellsteer, if it is then just hold on to your contract job!!! Wishing you the very best

3 Likes

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Morgan9(m): 2:55pm On Oct 29, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Just 108,000 monthly in this new one and 60,000 in your present job( making additional 10kweekly..) that means the two jobs are of the same salary as it is now

Ogbeni to be sincere....the two jobs are useless....

Both salary can not sustain you...

So u would rather prefer he quits his current job and forget about the new one since it can not sustain him ..
U are very useless like buhari

Cost of living in the south south is damnnn high
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by saintaustine(m): 3:04pm On Oct 29, 2021
Abeg.

Decide your Future by yourself..
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by FrenchXpert(f): 3:05pm On Oct 29, 2021
Look at the career prospects of each and decide. The pay is not far off from each other, you should be searching for something better but if any of them will give you the experience you are looking for then keep it or risk it.
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by brandsoncharlie: 3:06pm On Oct 29, 2021
AdeniyiAr9:
Good morning house,

I would say that's below an average salary for a start in that oil company but they're allowance and benefits such as thrifts (you can collect certain amounts of money for urgent needs and it will be deducted in due time.)
If that oil company is a member of pengassan, you are also entitled to some monthly benefits.
You're also entitled to free health care, both you and your family, depending on the company.
Most oil companies will pay you bonuses such as Christmas bonuse, Easter bonuses etc
In years to come you will be promoted based on your input in the company and your salary will be huge.
Before you work up to 20 years you should be earning nothing less than 2 million naira - 2.5 every month and you can own up to 20 plots of lands and 4 houses built, and send ur children abroad to study,if you are focused.
Banks in Nigeria can loan you up to 30 million naira depending on your rank in the company.
Charlie take that oil company very serious.
Do your findings about that oil company very well.
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by brandsoncharlie: 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2021
GodisFirst:

I will advise you based on what you wrote here to stay with your current job.
You are already making more money on your current job than the new one but you are not taking note of it.

720K per annum plus 520K (10K per week) = 1.24M.

Continue with you current job and finish your Masters program. It is very important, after which you may gamble with other jobs if you still wish.

Going to a new place may cause you more on accommodation and transport and other inconveniences until you settle down. If you must go, look for a job that pays you at least 200K monthly. The reason is that by the time you are done with your Masters, your work has improved, the time and energy you are spending on this Masters program, you may conserve it and use it for other money making venture, it may increase from the 10k per month to 20k per month, you will see that you are now at roughly 1,76M annually.

What should drive your change of job should be more incentives and remuneration, job satisfaction, job security, better prospects and opportunities.

Good luck.
If that oil company is nnpc, shell, Enel, agip, I will advise him to rush immediately and embrace it. Man those people are earning huge.
The prospect is high but for beginners the salary is low.

1 Like

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by kwaso2: 3:20pm On Oct 29, 2021
Stay with your old job. South south is very expensive compared to South West. At the end, ur net worth is more in south West.
But if you are more interested in career growth, take your chance and move with caution.
Good luck.
AdeniyiAr9:
Good morning house,

1 Like

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by NorthernersSuck: 3:31pm On Oct 29, 2021
verybadmouth:
Bro what do you do that gives you 10k weekly? Abeg share with me.

Hahahahaha, na the dirty job and some materials wey dem dey thief there sell be that naw
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by verybadmouth(m): 3:33pm On Oct 29, 2021
NorthernersSuck:

Hahahahaha, na the dirty job and some materials wey dem dey thief there sell be that naw
I believe you boss. Gaskiya
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Solatium(m): 3:36pm On Oct 29, 2021
AdeniyiAr9:
Good morning house,

Look beyond the pay,look at stability, security and advancement of career that the oil servicing company is gonna offer.
South South is relatively peaceful for now.
Suspend your Msc studies for now and go for career.
i wish you well
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by OhiOfIhima: 3:37pm On Oct 29, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Just 108,000 monthly in this new one and 60,000 in your present job( making additional 10kweekly..) that means the two jobs are of the same salary as it is now

Ogbeni to be sincere....the two jobs are useless....

Both salary can not sustain you...

Cost of living in the south south is damnnn high

So someone on a salary scale of 30-50k should go n die be that...
E no easy my brother. Many people include me will jump to any of the offer without blinking an eye.. e choke everywhere bro. Let just advice the op to take d one that is ok for him.
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by goodluckman: 3:42pm On Oct 29, 2021
VeeInsider:

Which skills you get?
Boss I get more ooh
Strong written and oral communication.
Organization and attention to detail.
Analytical and problem solving skills.
Time management.
Systems analysis.
Mathematical and deductive reasoning.
Critical thinking.
Active learning.
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by LollySeaSide: 3:46pm On Oct 29, 2021
AdeniyiAr9:
Good morning house,

Lol @the bolded.
And you dey Nairaland?
Oya collect small bashing!
Gboooooshhhh!!!
On a more serious note...
My advice: stay where you'll continue with your masters.
Then, connect another Nairalander to the other job.
Regards.
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Ladycewhy(f): 3:48pm On Oct 29, 2021
Lindajames1010:
What do u mean by always needed in church..
I saw that too and was like wtf! undecided

1 Like

Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by awa(m): 3:56pm On Oct 29, 2021
Bros, leave the Telecoms and move into Oil. Contract work in Telecoms is slavery. I know what I am telling you. It becomes worst when you are working with Chinko. They can fire you without notice. Full time job is better any day any time.
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by bigpicture001: 3:57pm On Oct 29, 2021
goodluckman:

Accounting don cast!
Re: Contract Telecoms Or Full Time Elsewhere? by Truthisit: 4:18pm On Oct 29, 2021
AdeniyiAr9:
Good morning house,

Your contract in the Telecom company could get terminated any day and time. But Full time staff in oil and gas company is far solid and will engender your growth , experience and skills. Therefore I would advise you go for the oil and gas job. As for Master's program, you can do that in the SE/SS University. Just an advice o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sterling Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Sterling Bank Pay Their Staff? / Army, Navy,airforce,nia,npf,sss,customs,ndlea Which Has A Better Career Growth? / Bayelsa Primary School Teachers Strike Indefinitely Over 9 Months unpaid Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.