Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,697 members, 7,882,365 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 11:21 PM

Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System (9944 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / Princess Adeola-Ogunwusi In Nigeria For Her Fathers Wedding / 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 3:50pm On Jun 11, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Friends? That's it? Hehh. Whenever people say 'strong ties' they typically mean kin, but I guess the way you used it could work too, if the friends are close enough that you consider them kin, or something like that.

No, my dad's best friend is from Isiala Ngwa and we used to visit regularly. A very good modern and civilised man, albeit close to the ground.  grin Unfortunately, they both are getting old and don't quite meet as often any longer.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 4:28pm On Jun 11, 2011
vicenzo:

why fight a losing battle and forfeit all your benefits as nwamadi over a complicated issue like osu.
See, it's like I told you, deadie, a stance doesn't matter (in general), but in my case in particular, it isn't even my problem; never was and never will be.

deadie:

No, my dad's best friend is from Isiala Ngwa and we used to visit regularly. A very good modern and civilised man, albeit close to the ground.  grin Unfortunately, they both are getting old and don't quite meet as often any longer.
I'm over here thinking of kin, while this is what you mean by close ties. Oh well.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by henry101(m): 4:33pm On Jun 11, 2011
I can state here that OSU is a long dead issue from my maternal side. According to her, the decision to break away from the past was carried out by the village powerful group called UMUADA( in the 90s). I have seen people who marry the beautiful ladies from there and vice versa, and they are really doing good. My mom was trying to hook up one with me last year( mom's a free-born from same village.),  grin grin grin grin grin grin. it didnt work out and it was never because her family was termed OSU in the past. All I can say is that some communities are/were bold to discard the culture while some are scared to think about it,
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 6:36pm On Jun 11, 2011
deadie:

I do not recognise royalty in Igboland, the term traditional ruler is acceptable to me. Royalty implies that others in the community are lesser men, and that is not obtainable in my society. A traditional ruler, in my place denotes a Chief/Nze and an Eze, which is a temporary position. Royalty is passed along the family, like the Saudi Royal family, British royalty, etc. That is why I do not quite using the term royalty. Hope that has sunk into your coconut head.

You are a confused man. As I said, in one past, you claim that Osu system is dead, and then you claim again it can never be eradicated. Doesn't that show your lack of understanding? Set myself on fire? No, not really. Although I do not stand for violence, it would be nice if such a method could be use to get rid of people like you in public places. I hope you don't instil this kind of hatred into those children who unfortunately happen to be yours.

You are absolutely a novice on traditional and cultural matters of Igbo land. I honestly believed you are Osu period. Anybody who claimed a parentage of “traditional ruler” whether rotational or hereditary and can not discern “Chief” is not an Igbo title and looked miserable separating the position of Nze and Eze in Igbo land does not deserve the prestige accorded to Diala.

To be candid, you are a demented loafer and have no business joining issues where Osu, Ohu, Nze, Eze, tradition and culture in Igbo land are discussed. In fact, you do not understand the difference between Osu System and stigmatization. For example, slavery is long dead in USA but the end did not stamp away the stigma associate with the practice. This is same as Osu in Igbo land especially when marrige is the focal point.

I had myself to be blamed for arguing with dimwit who claimed Chief/Nze is a “traditional ruler” in Igbo land.

You did not need to rant about your ignorant love for anything alien to Igbo land since you claimed a “modern man of 21st century”. What a dullard. The more you rant, the worse you look as wastepipe.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ektbear: 7:46pm On Jun 11, 2011
Are most of the Igbos who left Igboland osu? Or more precisely stated, are osu more likely to leave, I should say? The ones in Lagos and such.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:48pm On Jun 11, 2011
Interesting thread and comments so far.

Obiagu1:
Why is this Osu stigma only present in Imo State and probably some part of Abia as well?

One of the most important distinctions the Igbo make in their status system is that between Diala and non-Diala. The Diala is a freeborn, a full citizen, whose status at birth is symbolized by the burial of his umbilical cord, preferably at the foot of an oil palm tree. A Diala is free to attempt to gain a title, the only barrier to social climbing being the membership fees that these institutions demand. In contrast, the Ohu was a slave who had very few rights. However, these slaves were more often as not absorbed into the lineage of the master they served, becoming their companions and often marrying their daughters. An Osu was a cult-slave; they were a people hated and despised , and to refer to a Diala or an Ohu as an Osu was the gravest of insults. The Osu system of slavery originated from the Owerri-Okigwi region. The Diala belief is that the Osu are descended from a people who, at the recommendation of a diviner, were dedicated to a deity, in order that they may become his servitor. A particular village, lineage or individual that had been experiencing illness or misfortune would “dedicate” this slave to the deity, in the belief that the slave would then carry out the sins of the dedicator. The Osu were feared and hated because they reminded the Diala of their guilt. Unlike slaves, they could not be absorbed into their master’s lineage; on the other hand, they were protected by their deity from being sold or killed. The cult-slave status of the Osu was legally abolished by the Eastern Nigerian Government in 1956.

http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofEnglish/imperial/nigeria/govt.htm

^^^^

I wouldn't know if everything on that page is 100% accurate though. Somebody with an insider's knowledge could probably confirm it.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 8:08pm On Jun 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Are most of the Igbos who left Igboland osu? Or more precisely stated, are osu more likely to leave, I should say? The ones in Lagos and such.
No. Osu isn't the reason for Igbo living outside of Igboland. School and business is.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ektbear: 8:15pm On Jun 11, 2011
ChinenyeN:

No. Osu isn't the reason for Igbo living outside of Igboland. School and business is.

ok, thanks for clarifying.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 8:17pm On Jun 11, 2011
No problem.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Obiagu1(m): 12:33am On Jun 12, 2011
Dede1:

This statement left much to be desired. It is fundamentally a falsehood.

ChinenyeN:

You talk as if una no get Osu for Anambra. . . undecided

As far as I know, I've never heard or seen anyone or any family who are Osu in Anambra.
I don't know much about those from Aguata (Isu clan) but for Nri/Awka, I don't think it exist.

Also, you can't hear names like Nwosu. Osuji, etc in Anambra or Enugu.

I'll tell you it's one of the reasons Anambra guys/girls are scared of marrying from Imo State. After you've dated someone, passed thru the pain or happiness of relationship and finally you want to marry that person, someone from nowhere will tell you she/he is an Osu.
So Anambra guys generally prefer to avoid Imo girls entirely when it comes to marriage if they could.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 12:41am On Jun 12, 2011
haha. Are you serious?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Obiagu1(m): 12:42am On Jun 12, 2011
ChinenyeN:

haha. Are you serious?

Sure, you can ask someone else for confirmation.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 12:46am On Jun 12, 2011
I will, because when it comes to Osu, in Ngwa we don't just mention Imo, we mention Anambra too, but Imo mainly.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 12:59am On Jun 12, 2011
Although, I do remember being told something about osu reintegration in Anambra. I guess there must be some truth to the story after all, since you claim to not have any knowledge of osu in Anambra.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Abagworo(m): 3:29am On Jun 12, 2011
Osu is more prevalent in Imo than any other State across Igboland because they were most affected by slavery.The Isu group who make up much of Imo and some parts of Anambra were the most sold in slavery.The Osu existed in all parts of Igboland though.

@topic.The Osu issue is long dead.It is only a few people that still observe the rules of Osu.I think it is mainly because of the movie "Taboo" and some unnecessary media coverage of the few cases that has made it an issue.If marriage is the discrimination then it means nothing since marriage will always have tendency of discrimination.A white man will hardly marry a black woman just like an Anambra man will hardly marry an Imo woman.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 5:34am On Jun 12, 2011
Dede1:

You are absolutely a novice on traditional and cultural matters of Igbo land. I honestly believed you are Osu period. Anybody who claimed a parentage of “traditional ruler” whether rotational or hereditary and can not discern “Chief” is not an Igbo title and looked miserable separating the position of Nze and Eze in Igbo land does not deserve the prestige accorded to Diala.

To be candid, you are a demented loafer and have no business joining issues where Osu, Ohu, Nze, Eze, tradition and culture in Igbo land are discussed. In fact, you do not understand the difference between Osu System and stigmatization. For example, slavery is long dead in USA but the end did not stamp away the stigma associate with the practice. This is same as Osu in Igbo land especially when marrige is the focal point.

I had myself to be blamed for arguing with dimwit who claimed Chief/Nze is a “traditional ruler” in Igbo land.

You did not need to rant about your ignorant love for anything alien to Igbo land since you claimed a “modern man of 21st century”. What a dullard. The more you rant, the worse you look as wastepipe.     

You believe I am Osu? Ok, I am one. So what. If you meet me on the street, can you tell from my looks and intelligence? I believe you will rely on your illiterate father and grandfather, who probably are walking bones, that is if they are not already dead to do a background check and tell you who is, and who is not an Osu. Does being an Osu affect looks and intelligence? You live in the past.

Anybody who claimed a parentage of “traditional ruler” whether rotational or hereditary and can not discern “Chief” is not an Igbo title and looked miserable separating the position of Nze and Eze in Igbo land does not deserve the prestige accorded to Diala.

Lol, what is Diala? A name that makes you feel like you are a king without a throne? Prestige accorded to Diala? LWKMD. What prestige? Prestige to eat the scrotum of a cow? Civilisations are busy inventing things to advance the human race and you talk of prestige bestowed on you in your tiny little village? Diala, please don't call me one. I mean if you go to the USA, which you mentioned in your post, and you are asked to proudly educate them on your superior "Dialaness", and your inferior other, the "Osu", how would you do that. Do you realise how s.tupid you would look? The line quoted above makes you look like the i.mbecile you really are.

In one of your posts, you said that my father was a king. Well, doesn't that make you a mo.ron? Is "king" then an Igbo title, judging from your post? If at your age, you can not discern that Nze = Chief , and that Eze = King, then as the the saying goes that a f.ool at forty is a f.ool forever, I can only assume that you will remain one.

By the way, who is a traditional ruler by your definition? What is tradition? When did Eze come into existence? You know very little. In my society, we have nothing like a hereditary royalty cos everyone is. And Mr. Diala, frankly, you need to evolve. Try not to die in your ignorance.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ZE: 10:38am On Jun 12, 2011
Abagworo:

Osu is more prevalent in Imo than any other State across Igboland because they were most affected by slavery.The Isu group who make up much of Imo and some parts of Anambra were the most sold in slavery.The Osu existed in all parts of Igboland though.

@topic.The Osu issue is long dead.It is only a few people that still observe the rules of Osu.I think it is mainly because of the movie "Taboo" and some unnecessary media coverage of the few cases that has made it an issue.If marriage is the discrimination then it means nothing since marriage will always have tendency of discrimination.A white man will hardly marry a black woman just like an Anambra man will hardly marry an Imo woman.

@abagworo, your post is as sensless as you appear to be in real life. looking at the bolded part of your post, its clear you 've not existed beyond obosi spare parts market.

Osu and Ume is more prevalent in Enugu and Anambra state than in Imo, do your research properly.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by vicenzo(m): 2:24pm On Jun 12, 2011
ZE:

@abagworo, your post is as sensless as you appear to be in real life. looking at the bolded part of your post, its clear you 've not existed beyond obosi spare parts market.

Osu and Ume is more prevalent in Enugu and Anambra state than in Imo, do your research properly.
Hey! Bro pls simmer down,no need for insults.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Ikenwammuo: 12:46am On Jun 14, 2011
Oh My Goodness! May the efforts of these Ndi-Igbo Kings come through. I CANDIDLY WANT THE OSU (OUT CAST) SYSTEM TO BE RELINQUISHED IN OUR IGBO TRADITION. I am really concerned about these issues of the OSU, UMEH, AND etc. I'm from MBAISE, and I don't find the issue of Osu and others being funny at all, I really LAMENT about the very beautiful daughters of Igbo land who are known to be Osu; as such they've been ostracised as regards marriages between other Igbo communities - thereby making it difficult for them to get married at an early and due age.
God help, I hate this damn belief!!! I'm sure that there is no other MOST LAMENTED AND GRIEVOUS BELIEF in Ndi-Igbo tradition - other than this OUT CAST ISSUE.
If all the MONARCHS, SPIRITUAL LEADERS, GOVERNORS as well as the respectable POLITICIANS in all Igbo speaking states and communities would SEAL to this colossal motive of eradicating the OSU(OUT CAST) ISSUE, it will SURELY be a success. Though all hope isn't lost, the SPIRITUAL LEADERS MUST BE FULLY INVOLVED in this motive and i believe that it will be one of the most remarkable and historical success in Igbo land to relinquish this so called Osu, umeh etc (humans offered to dieties).
What baffles me is that most of the Deities in my community and other communities have been destroyed by Some Priest as well as Pastors. Yes, the tradition has been there for ages, before the advent of Christianity and Christianity obeys the tradition thereby modernising some of the traditions which are similar to the JEWISH TRADITION; like naming ceremony and etc, but the Europeans who brought Christianity were unable to eradicate or rather modernise these "OUT CAST ISSUE" which can't be modernised in any way at all whether beyond or beneath ones imagination, rather its only solution is to RELINQUISH it and send it to the bottomless pit. The Europeans brought Christianity and it's our responsibility to ensure that it's taking to the far ends of this world and we can begin that by CLEANSING OUR LAND OF ALL HER IMPURITIES. CHRISTIANITY KNOWS NO SLAVE, NO SERVANT, NO MASTER, NO KING AND QUEENS, NO OSU, NO UMEH AND ETC. WE ARE ALL SAME AND EQUAL IN THE EYES OF THE LORD. HOW LONG MUST WE LIVE WITH THIS "OUT CAST" BELIEF LEAVING OUR SISTERS AND BROTHERS TO WONDER ABOUT IN THIS EARTH, BEEN UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THERE OWN LIKES AND RESEMBLANCES. I HATE THIS BELIEF WITH A VERY DEEP PASSION, AND WON'T FORGIVE OUR ANCESTORS FOR THIS DAMN MISTAKES THEY MADE IF NOTHING IS ACHIEVED IN THIS GENERATION AS REGARDS IT. Humans(our ancestors) made and worshiped this Deities - thereby invoking spirits(water, land, air, thunders & lightnings, etc) into certain mammals, trees, objects, caves, carved images, etc. IF THIS DEITIES COULD BE CHASTISED BY THESE RELIGIOUS MEN AND WOMEN IN MANY COMMUNITIES LIKE MINE AND ETC, WHILE WON'T OSU AND OTHER OUT CAST ISSUES BE CHASTISED OR RATHER RELINQUISHED IN NDI-IGBO LAND. ASK YOURSELF IF YOUR CHILD FINDS A LOVER AND HE/SHE IS OSU, AND THE CHILD; WHOLE HEARTEDLY HAS TO MARRY THE OSU, HOWEVER BEEN DEPRIVED BY YOU AS A PARENT - DON'T YOU THINK THAT YOU'VE REALLY MADE YOUR CHILD TO BE MISERABLE CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT YOU LOVE AND CHERISH YOUR CHILD AND WOULDN'T WISH NOR WANT ANYTHING TO HURT THE CHILD, I BET YOU YOU DID HURT THEY CHILD WHOLE AND ENTIRE. IT'S THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THIS GENERATION IN NDI-IGBO LAND TO RISE AND PUT A FINAL FULL STOP AND AN END TO THIS MEANINGLESS BELIEF, ELSE IT WILL BE GENERATION NEXT AND NEXT - TILL ETERNITY AND NATURE WON'T BE HAPPY WITH THE MISTAKES THAT WERE MADE IN THE PREVIOUS GENERATIONS, WHICH ALSO COUNTS ON US TOO.

Perhaps I will make a history and perfect example to people by getting married to one of the Osu girls.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by rastaman20(m): 1:32am On Jun 14, 2011
This osu thing is a very serious issue in Anambra state, i have a friend that was badly in-love with a girl from Imo state, they dated for more than five years, there are very happy let me add couples to them because for me that is what there are, even planing to get married, as usual , this my friend was sharing a duplex with a friend from the same town and his friend is married to a girl from the same town, woman matter lol, one day there was a dispute among the two Lady's, and the married lady called the other one "OSU".
And this was what breaks the horses back, to cut the whole story short,this my friend suffered alot and even the girl too, because they both loved each other so much, since she is from Imo state, there is no proof what ever to proof if she was or not and not only that since she was called an OSU, that is the end of the matter, to my greatest suprise, there are a very good catolics, they went to the REV Father, and the priest turn his back on them telling them that this is culture that he cannot wedd them, even my friends mother that is a one of the pillar in the church sworn that over her dead body will his son marry that lady.
And that is the end of the whole issue.the boy did all he can, but all in vain, final , he left the lady and married a lady of her mothers choice,
NA waOOO . OUR CULTURE,?' CAN WE RUN,? CAN WE HIDE,? WHAT IS THE EXAMPLE THAT WE ARE LEAVING FOR OUR CHILDREN.?
I was dating a girl from AWKA, and my mom visited me , and when she asked me where is the girl from and i told him. he told me that his not against me marrying from where ever i wanted , but i have to be very careful , not for me , but for my children's because one day , an enemy may call the girl OSU, since they don't know the girls background,,, u see our culture again, although things fall apart between me and the girl. and because of all this culture of a thing,
In any away you sees it, it is not a joking matter, we have to face the fact and also how to come about with them.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ektbear: 10:03am On Jun 14, 2011
^-- very sad sad
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Obiagu1(m): 1:38pm On Jun 14, 2011
Which one be "Umeh"?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Ikenwammuo: 1:58pm On Jun 14, 2011
I think the POPE must hear this. What has the Cardinal, Archbishops, Bishops, priests and Deacons of the Catholic Churches in Igbo land done with regards to this, including the other denominations of the Christian Churches in Igbo Land. I think the Igbo land has only Christianity and not Islam. I think it's high time all the Catholics, Anglicans, and other denomination in Igbo Land took the BULL BY THE HORN TO PUT AN END TO THIS non- sense BELIEF, ALL THOSE READING THIS SHOULD THINK ABOUT IT. ASK YOUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO PUT AN END TO THIS. OSU BELIEF IS NOT A CULTURE, I DISAGREE WITH THAT MOTION OF IT BEEN A CULTURE. TUFIAKWA!!! IT CAN'T BE A CULTURE.  PLEASE ALL CHRISTIANS HERE SHOULD TAKE SERIOUS NOTICE ABOUT THIS AND MAKE MOVE, IGBO LAND SHOULD BE SANCTIFIED AND LET YOUR BISHOPS AND PASTORS KNOW THIS AND MAKE A HUGE MOVE TOWARDS THIS, JESUS CAME TO DIE IN ORDER TO REDEEM US FROM SIN. WE ARE SAVED, NO ONE IS A SLAVE IN THE EYES OF GOD, SO WHY SHOULD OSU PEOPLE BE TREATED AS SLAVES THEREBY OSTRACISING THEM, SINCE WE CALL OURSELVES CHRISTIANS OR SHOULD WE WAIT FOR ISLAM TO COME INTO IGBO LAND TO HELP US CLEANSE OUR LAND? WHAT EFFORT HAVE OUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS MADE TO PUT AN END TO THIS ASK YOURSELVES AND YOUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS? IF THERE IS ANY RELIGIOUS MAN OR WOMAN READING THIS, I WANT TO ASK YOU YOUR EFFORT TOWARDS THE RELINQUISHING OF THE OUT CAST SYSTEM(OSU, UMEH, AND ETC) IN IGBO LAND, WHAT EFFORT HAVE YOU MADE TO CALL YOURSELF AN ANOINTED MAN OR WOMAN OF GOD.  OUR PREDECESSORS WERE IGNORANT OF THIS FACT - I MEAN THE DEMISED ANOINTED MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD. SO IT IS HIGH TIME THE ANOINTED MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD TODAY TOOK THE BULL BY THE HORN AND LEAVE THIS SO CALLED KINGS IN IGBO LAND WHO WON'T MAKE ANY EFFORT TO RELINQUISH IT. I AM PROUD TODAY TO SAY THAT ALL DEITIES IN MY COMMUNITY IN THE VILLAGE HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS IN MY COMMUNITY IN MBAISE LAND(UVURU, ABOH MBAISE), YOU CAN MAKE YOUR INVESTIGATIONS, THEY WERE ALL DONE BY MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD AND NO KING OR CHIEF WAS WAITED BEFORE SUCH MOVES WERE MADE, "CITE ME IF I AM WRONG". SO IF WE LIKE OURSELVES AND OUR FUTURE CHILDREN, I THINK IT'S HIGH TIME WE TAKE A HUGE STEP. NO ONE WAS CREATED OSU. GOD IS LOVE. PEACE!!!
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by vicenzo(m): 10:24pm On Jun 14, 2011
Obiagu1:

As far as I know, I've never heard or seen anyone or any family who are Osu in Anambra.
I don't know much about those from Aguata (Isu clan) but for Nri/Awka, I don't think it exist.

Also, you can't hear names like Nwosu. Osuji, etc in Anambra or Enugu.

I'll tell you it's one of the reasons Anambra guys/girls are scared of marrying from Imo State. After you've dated someone, passed thru the pain or happiness of relationship and finally you want to marry that person, someone from nowhere will tell you she/he is an Osu.
So Anambra guys generally prefer to avoid Imo girls entirely when it comes to marriage if they could.
Which part of anambra are you from,because i know that in idemili which is made up of towns like nkpor,obosi,ogidi,oba,etc,we have always and still have OSU,and idemili is nri.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ezeagu(m): 12:22am On Jun 15, 2011
Ikenwammuo:

I think the POPE must hear this. What has the Cardinal, Archbishops, Bishops, priests and Deacons of the Catholic Churches in Igbo land done with regards to this, including the other denominations of the Christian Churches in Igbo Land. I think the Igbo land has only Christianity and not Islam. I think it's high time all the Catholics, Anglicans, and other denomination in Igbo Land took the BULL BY THE HORN TO PUT AN END TO THIS non- sense BELIEF, ALL THOSE READING THIS SHOULD THINK ABOUT IT. ASK YOUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO PUT AN END TO THIS. OSU BELIEF IS NOT A CULTURE, I DISAGREE WITH THAT MOTION OF IT BEEN A CULTURE. TUFIAKWA!!! IT CAN'T BE A CULTURE.  PLEASE ALL CHRISTIANS HERE SHOULD TAKE SERIOUS NOTICE ABOUT THIS AND MAKE MOVE, IGBO LAND SHOULD BE SANCTIFIED AND LET YOUR BISHOPS AND PASTORS KNOW THIS AND MAKE A HUGE MOVE TOWARDS THIS, JESUS CAME TO DIE IN ORDER TO REDEEM US FROM SIN. WE ARE SAVED, NO ONE IS A SLAVE IN THE EYES OF GOD, SO WHY SHOULD OSU PEOPLE BE TREATED AS SLAVES THEREBY OSTRACISING THEM, SINCE WE CALL OURSELVES CHRISTIANS OR SHOULD WE WAIT FOR ISLAM TO COME INTO IGBO LAND TO HELP US CLEANSE OUR LAND? WHAT EFFORT HAVE OUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS MADE TO PUT AN END TO THIS ASK YOURSELVES AND YOUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS? IF THERE IS ANY RELIGIOUS MAN OR WOMAN READING THIS, I WANT TO ASK YOU YOUR EFFORT TOWARDS THE RELINQUISHING OF THE OUT CAST SYSTEM(OSU, UMEH, AND ETC) IN IGBO LAND, WHAT EFFORT HAVE YOU MADE TO CALL YOURSELF AN ANOINTED MAN OR WOMAN OF GOD.  OUR PREDECESSORS WERE IGNORANT OF THIS FACT - I MEAN THE DEMISED ANOINTED MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD. SO IT IS HIGH TIME THE ANOINTED MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD TODAY TOOK THE BULL BY THE HORN AND LEAVE THIS SO CALLED KINGS IN IGBO LAND WHO WON'T MAKE ANY EFFORT TO RELINQUISH IT. I AM PROUD TODAY TO SAY THAT ALL DEITIES IN MY COMMUNITY IN THE VILLAGE HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS IN MY COMMUNITY IN MBAISE LAND(UVURU, ABOH MBAISE), YOU CAN MAKE YOUR INVESTIGATIONS, THEY WERE ALL DONE BY MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD AND NO KING OR CHIEF WAS WAITED BEFORE SUCH MOVES WERE MADE, "CITE ME IF I AM WRONG". SO IF WE LIKE OURSELVES AND OUR FUTURE CHILDREN, I THINK IT'S HIGH TIME WE TAKE A HUGE STEP. NO ONE WAS CREATED OSU. GOD IS LOVE. PEACE!!!

It's hard to read text that's all in capital letters, plus the pope (a position that once authorised slavery) has no power in Igbo society.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Guyman02: 5:37pm On Jun 15, 2011
INNOSON is busy designing his vehicles in Igboland and creating jobs, while Philip Emeagwali and Sulivam Chime etc are thinking of how to bring back the pride of the Igbos; some re.tards are here promoting a dead Osu culture and calling themselves diala or diellu and ruining the happiness of their relations who want to marry anybody of their choice. Hey you Osu promoters! Go get a life, you are no different from Almajiris in the North!!!
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:50pm On Jun 15, 2011
ezeagu:

It's hard to read text that's all in capital letters, plus the pope (a position that once authorised slavery) has no power in Igbo society.

true. the pope has no business in Igboland and if he tries to poke his nose ere, he must be given aa nyc kick in his behind. dem ppls r d ones who started slavery in d first place and brougght christianity to Africa. this matter must be taken up by the Igbo rulers and local authorities.  cool
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by rastaman20(m): 5:32pm On Jun 19, 2011
Ikenwammuo

Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System
« #118 on: June 14, 2011, 01:58 PM »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the POPE must hear this. What has the Cardinal, Archbishops, Bishops, priests and Deacons of the Catholic Churches in Igbo land done with regards to this, including the other denominations of the Christian Churches in Igbo Land. I think the Igbo land has only Christianity and not Islam. I think it's high time all the Catholics, Anglicans, and other denomination in Igbo Land took the BULL BY THE HORN TO PUT AN END TO THIS non- sense BELIEF, ALL THOSE READING THIS SHOULD THINK ABOUT IT. ASK YOUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO PUT AN END TO THIS. OSU BELIEF IS NOT A CULTURE, I DISAGREE WITH THAT MOTION OF IT BEEN A CULTURE. TUFIAKWA!!! IT CAN'T BE A CULTURE. PLEASE ALL CHRISTIANS HERE SHOULD TAKE SERIOUS NOTICE ABOUT THIS AND MAKE MOVE, IGBO LAND SHOULD BE SANCTIFIED AND LET YOUR BISHOPS AND PASTORS KNOW THIS AND MAKE A HUGE MOVE TOWARDS THIS, JESUS CAME TO DIE IN ORDER TO REDEEM US FROM SIN. WE ARE SAVED, NO ONE IS A SLAVE IN THE EYES OF GOD, SO WHY SHOULD OSU PEOPLE BE TREATED AS SLAVES THEREBY OSTRACISING THEM, SINCE WE CALL OURSELVES CHRISTIANS OR SHOULD WE WAIT FOR ISLAM TO COME INTO IGBO LAND TO HELP US CLEANSE OUR LAND? WHAT EFFORT HAVE OUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS MADE TO PUT AN END TO THIS ASK YOURSELVES AND YOUR RELIGIOUS LEADERS? IF THERE IS ANY RELIGIOUS MAN OR WOMAN READING THIS, I WANT TO ASK YOU YOUR EFFORT TOWARDS THE RELINQUISHING OF THE OUT CAST SYSTEM(OSU, UMEH, AND ETC) IN IGBO LAND, WHAT EFFORT HAVE YOU MADE TO CALL YOURSELF AN ANOINTED MAN OR WOMAN OF GOD. OUR PREDECESSORS WERE IGNORANT OF THIS FACT - I MEAN THE DEMISED ANOINTED MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD. SO IT IS HIGH TIME THE ANOINTED MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD TODAY TOOK THE BULL BY THE HORN AND LEAVE THIS SO CALLED KINGS IN IGBO LAND WHO WON'T MAKE ANY EFFORT TO RELINQUISH IT. I AM PROUD TODAY TO SAY THAT ALL DEITIES IN MY COMMUNITY IN THE VILLAGE HAS BEEN DESTROYED BY THE RELIGIOUS LEADERS IN MY COMMUNITY IN MBAISE LAND(UVURU, ABOH MBAISE), YOU CAN MAKE YOUR INVESTIGATIONS, THEY WERE ALL DONE BY MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD AND NO KING OR CHIEF WAS WAITED BEFORE SUCH MOVES WERE MADE, "CITE ME IF I AM WRONG". SO IF WE LIKE OURSELVES AND OUR FUTURE CHILDREN, I THINK IT'S HIGH TIME WE TAKE A HUGE STEP. NO ONE WAS CREATED OSU. GOD IS LOVE. PEACE!!! .

Bros, make a research on your own area and see things for youself, , forgate about born again churches, becuase this churches are not pulling ground in the village and also dont have ground on village activities, just go to any Rev father or Anglican priest .what u will hear from them will shock u alot. i have entered a dialogue with one and he ended up telling me to give to CESAR WHAT IS FOR CESAR AND GOD WHAT IS MEANT FOR HIM.when u sees the whole situation, it is a very annoying situation, becuase of what are involed. it is very easy to say , but very dificult in our society becuase when the matter arises, u will found out that u are only at the end.It is a very sad when u at ur knowledge u are alone becuase from ur own clan, no one will talk to u o even have anything to do with u.
It is a very serious issue that we all have to fight for it , so that one day with one voice it will be abolished. it will take time but one day with one voice it shall surely come to an end, (IGWE BU IKE). smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Ikenwammuo: 9:47pm On Jun 19, 2011
Bros, make a research on your own area and see things for youself, , forgate about born again churches, becuase this churches are not pulling ground in the village and also dont have ground on village activities, just go to any Rev father or Anglican priest .what u will hear from them will shock u alot. i have entered a dialogue with one and he ended up telling me to give to CESAR WHAT IS FOR CESAR AND GOD WHAT IS MEANT FOR HIM.when u sees the whole situation, it is a very annoying situation, becuase of what are involed. it is very easy to say , but very dificult in our society becuase when the matter arises, u will found out that u are only at the end.It is a very sad when u at your knowledge u are alone becuase from your own clan, no one will talk to u o even have anything to do with u.
It is a very serious issue that we all have to fight for it , so that one day with one voice it will be abolished. it will take time but one day with one voice it shall surely come to an end, (IGWE BU IKE).

Your comment is so touching, it almost made me shed tears because i have friends who are Osu and i bet you i know how they feel but since they ain't residing in the village, they are a free with the thoughts and every other things associated to that from my observations. i pray and hope that those priests who use those words as a reference point to cover their weakness in the sacred order could be more considerate and perhaps could they could be misunderstanding what that statement actually meant. We actually need a "firmly firm" commitment amongst us to the abolishment of the out cast system in our land. No one was created an Osu by the almighty God, people made this, not God. i think people who have friends and brothers in the religious positions and less i forget - in the political post too. we'll need to work as "one people" to put an end to this mess called Osu or Out cast system instituted by our Ancestors. The so called Osu's; i hate that name with passion and where did they get this name from? - they are our brothers and sisters and belong to the same fold as Biafrans. I absolutely believe that it will end one day and it won't go beyond my generation. it must end in my generation, i just pray that our people will be responsible, we have to show some sign and mark of responsibility towards this issue else it will keep recurring till eternity. we just need some mark of responsibility and its actualisation amongst every one of us.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Obiagu1(m): 1:42am On Jun 20, 2011
vicenzo:

Which part of anambra are you from,because i know that in idemili which is made up of towns like nkpor,obosi,ogidi,oba,etc,we have always and still have OSU,and idemili is nri.

Anaocha.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by vicenzo(m): 3:09pm On Jun 21, 2011
I 've friends from adazi -enu and adazi-ani,i 've equally been to neni for igbaukwu,oh! And agulu,that town is very large,never knew they don't have osu in those places,because we do it in idemili,i used to think its' done in the whole of igbo land,it was in nairaland that i learnt that it is not done in ngwa and now aniocha.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by rastaman20(m): 4:57pm On Jun 22, 2011
The fight must be countinue, one day it will shall come to an end, as it is one this thread , i hope and belive that people should come out and voice it out.
From my own understanding , it is worst in Anambra state more than other state in Igboland. please correct me if i am wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Somali Nomadic Culture / The Benin (igodomigodo) Moats - The Largest Man-made Earthworks In The World / Meet The World Biggest Boobs German Model..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.