Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,425 members, 7,978,348 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 06:36 AM

A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. (254 Views)

Study The Bible With Jehovah's Witnesses 1 / Let's Study The Bible Daily And Finish It In One Year! / Pastor Chris Throws More Light On Masturbation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Nobody: 9:10pm On Nov 23, 2021
So, today I took Bible study on "the light" so in the course of our study we discussed that John the Baptist was not the light himself but a mere reflector of the light. A witness of the light ( Christ).

We also looked at the fact that we were declared the light. ... It was also said that we are greater than John the Baptist because we were declared the light but he was not.

So my pastors and the ministers threw a question to me. Saying, why was John the Baptist not the light himself?

Though I tried to explain that it was probably because he was before Christ and that only those who came after Christ and accepted him were qualified to be called the light.

Now, I knew my answer was not satisfactory because even my pastor pointed out that other people who were before Jesus became the light but... Why was Johns case different if my pastor submission was anything to go by?..

Please, shed more light. I'm curious.

Now I'm throwing it here. Why was John the Baptist not the light?
Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 23, 2021
Brethren in the house, please anyone with clear cut explanations.
Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Kobojunkie: 9:22pm On Nov 23, 2021
Mercychen:
1. So, today I took Bible study on "the light" so in the course of our study we discussed that John the Baptist was not the light himself but a mere reflector of the light. A witness of the light ( Christ).

2. We also looked at the fact that we were declared the light. ... It was also said that we are greater than John the Baptist because we were declared the light but he was not.

3. So my pastors and the ministers threw a question at me. Saying, why was John the Baptist not the light himself?

4. Though I tried to explain that it was probably because he was before Christ and that only those who came after Christ and accepted him were qualified to be called the light.

5. Now, I knew my answer was not satisfactory because even my pastor pointed out that other people who were before Jesus became the light but... Why was Johns case different if my pastor submission was anything to go by?..

1. John the Baptist was not a reflector of the light. He was sent by God to prepare the way for the Messiah who is the Light. John Himself remained an Old Covenant Prophet and died as one, as he, John the Baptist was meant to. For this reason, when Jesus Christ said that the least in the Kingdom of God was greater the Baptist. undecided

2. We are not declared the light. Jesus Christ is the Light - we are meant to ĺet the Light, Jesus Christ, shine in and through us onto the world undecided

3. See #1 above undecided

4. See #2 above undecided

5. See #1 above undecided

1 Like

Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2021
author=Kobojunkie post=107901152]1.
John the Baptist was not a reflector of the light. He was sent by God to prepare the way for the Messiah who is the Light. John Himself remained an Old Covenant Prophet and died as one, as he, John the Baptist was meant to. For this reason, when Jesus Christ said that the least in the Kingdom of God was greater the Baptist. :-
Ok. We are saying the same thing. I only used the word "reflector" to describe him as a medium through which Christs coming was proclaimed to the world.
\

We are not declared the light. Jesus Christ is the Light - we are meant to ĺet the Light, Jesus Christ, shine in and through us onto the world undecided
We were declared the light of the world according to :

Matthew 5:14-16 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.**

So it is ok to say John was not the light because he belonged to the old testament. Which sitll aligns with my response to the question.

Thank you.
Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Kobojunkie: 9:49pm On Nov 23, 2021
Mercychen:
author=Kobojunkie post=107901152]1.
1 Ok. We are saying the same thing. I only used the word "reflector" to describe him as a medium through which Christs coming was proclaimed to the world.
\

We were declared the light of the world according to :

Matthew 5:14-16 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.**

So it is ok to say John was not the light because he belonged to the old testament. Which sitll aligns with my response to the question.

Thank you.
1. Sure
2. Sure when Jesus Christ shines through us, we are the light of the world, but Jesus Christ is the Light Himself who shines in and through men. undecided
Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 23, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. Sure
2. Sure when Jesus Christ shines through us, we are the light of the world, but Jesus Christ is the Light Himself who shines in and through men. undecided

I'm careful to use the word"shine through" here because that would mean we are reflectors of the light which is not so as he categorically declared us the "light". So as many that are in Christ, they are automatically made the light. Which brings us to the actual topic " pregnant with Jesus".
Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Kobojunkiee: 11:35pm On Nov 23, 2021
Mercychen:
I'm careful to use the word"shine through" here because that would mean we are reflectors of the light which is not so as he categorically declared us the "light". So as many that are in Christ, they are automatically made the light. Which brings us to the actual topic " pregnant with Jesus".
"The Light" or "The Truth" is Jesus Christ. We are referred to, in Matthew 5 as "the light of the world" and this only applies to those who do as God commands - Isaiah 58 vs 6 - 9 - there is nothing automatic about that commandment as given by Jesus Christ. He said we are to let the light shine through us, implying action is necessary on our part for that to happen and what action? Isaiah 58 vs 6 - 9 is where that is revealed. undecided

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "pregnant with Jesus". undecided
Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Nobody: 5:55am On Nov 24, 2021
author=Kobojunkiee post=107904421] "
The Light" or "The Truth" is Jesus Christ. We are referred to, in Matthew 5 as "the light of the world" and this only applies to those who do as God commands - Isaiah 58 vs 6 - 9 - there is nothing automatic about that commandment as given by Jesus Christ. He said we are to let the light shine through us, implying action is necessary on our part for that to happen and what action? Isaiah 58 vs 6 - 9 is where that is revealed. undecided
Same thing.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "pregnant with Jesus". undecided
It's just the title of a message.
Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by TenQ: 7:26am On Nov 24, 2021
Mercychen:
So, today I took Bible study on "the light" so in the course of our study we discussed that John the Baptist was not the light himself but a mere reflector of the light. A witness of the light ( Christ).

We also looked at the fact that we were declared the light. ... It was also said that we are greater than John the Baptist because we were declared the light but he was not.

So my pastors and the ministers threw a question to me. Saying, why was John the Baptist not the light himself?

Though I tried to explain that it was probably because he was before Christ and that only those who came after Christ and accepted him were qualified to be called the light.

Now, I knew my answer was not satisfactory because even my pastor pointed out that other people who were before Jesus became the light but... Why was Johns case different if my pastor submission was anything to go by?..

There is only ONE Light, and He is God!
Whoever has the Holy Spirit has His Light to Shine to the world (John the Baptist was not a partaker of this but we are)
So, technically, Jesus could tell us "Let YOUR Light shine...."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Quick Question On Todays Bible Study. "The Light" Pls Shed More Light. by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 24, 2021
TenQ:

There is only ONE Light, and He is God!
Whoever has the Holy Spirit has His Light to Shine to the world (John the Baptist was not a partaker of this but we are)
So, technically, Jesus could tell us "Let YOUR Light shine...."

Ok.
Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Workers. / Will I Go To Heaven If I Commit Suicide? / My 2021 Testimonies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.