Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,683 members, 7,921,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 05:48 AM

Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? (7284 Views)

Nigerian Players Do Not Deserve CAF Awards - Okocha / D-day Is Here! Mali Vs Nigeria Which Players Do You Think Will Score For Nigeria / Nigerian Ex International Felix Okafor Jailed For Hard Drugs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by juman(m): 4:24pm On Jun 16, 2011
Rashidi Yekini.

I miss his scoring ability.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 16, 2011
Julius Aghahowa who else. Number 17 for ever!!!!!!
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by sammhi(m): 4:43pm On Jun 16, 2011
Rashidi Yekini, the goals king and Sunday Oliseh, the midfiled maestro.
the trouble with nigerian football started when we could not find replacement for these two.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by pek(m): 4:54pm On Jun 16, 2011
garba lawal! His commitment and patrotism was unquestionable and second to none.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by tankwa: 5:13pm On Jun 16, 2011
TARIBO WEST
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by monopolist: 5:42pm On Jun 16, 2011
Daniel Amokachi a.k.a. The Bull
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 16, 2011
his name alone makes me happy, okocha number 10 ohhhh, okocha!
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by Koolking(m): 6:15pm On Jun 16, 2011
Jay Okocha will always be missed [not in death]. He was the most entertaining player ever come out in Africa not just Nigeria. I weep at his rather early exit from soccer arena. He is my all time best in the Nigerian team.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by ayomidan: 6:16pm On Jun 16, 2011
yakubu nd kaita grin
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by Koolking(m): 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2011
I developed a sentimental affection for Bolton FC then when Jay Okocha was captaining. His performances were electrifying, any time, anywhere.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by BabaIbada: 6:26pm On Jun 16, 2011
I Love and Miss
Rashidi Yekini, the king of goal who has no replacement yet
Jay-Jay Okocha, the one who showed me how beauty of football can bring you smiles
Daniel Amokachi, the one who combined skills with swagger but bleeped them up with arrogance
Mutiu Adepoju, a humble and utility player
Finidi George, the only right winger I miss
Ben Iroha, the one who kicked out the dangerous Joel Tehi and Abdullah Traore of Ivory coast in 1994 1/2 final match with a free kick awarded. I love you
Wilfred Agbonivbare, the prolific shot-stopper who played crucial roles in our 1st w/cup qualification though with a gift of at least a goal to opp. in each game
Kanu Nwakwo, the only living Nigeria football legend I know

I hate
Mikel Obi, the one who fail me by deciding to let his glamorous talent slip off, the only player I hate as a chelsea fan
Alfan Ikoku, the overrated player who never made an impact

I can Kill
Yakubu Aiyegbeni, the one whom I find it hard to call a footballer
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by olotooto: 7:09pm On Jun 16, 2011
Jay Jay Okocha
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by Kc3000: 7:27pm On Jun 16, 2011
had many favorites oh:
-JJ Magic (Okocha) - Started off as an over-dribbler, but found a balance that made him a fan favorite as well as a terror to all Eagles' opponents. The real fun started when Nigeria was comfortably up,, then JJ unleashed his bag of tricks on all helpless foes.

- Amunike- never stopped attacking down that left flank from the first whistle to the end of the match. My goodness, all the man ever wanted to do in life was terrorize defenders from that left wing. A perfect blend of tenacity, speed, powerful shots and crosses, we are yet to find any left winger remotely close to this dazzler.

- Sunday Oliseh- Such a quality player, would have put him up there with anybody playing the same position in the world, at his prime. What did he not do for the Eagles, pretty much the engine that ran the team. Passes, shots, tackles,, in short, Sunny dey ball.

- Rashidi Yekini- We probably under-appreciated this guy. Not as flashy as the Kanu's and Okocha's etc, but the guy was a finisher by all standards. Armed with powerful shots and the much needed sense of positioning, which every world class finisher must have,  Yekini came through on many occasions.

- Kanu Nwankwo - Papillo! His deft touch on the ball, his sleeky moves, his passes, his superior football IQ, quickly endeared him to the hearts of Eagles fans everywhere. He led the way in Japan 93' and also in Atlanta 96'. That second goal against Brazil still stands as one of the most glorious moments I have ever witnessed in Nigerian football.

- Finidi George- Hey! Dude was smooth, no wasted motion. When he beat u, he disposed u, and you didn't even have a chance to foul him. I can hardly remember anytime this guy messed up on the pitch, I'm sure he did, but it so rarely happened cos' I can't recollect any such occassions. Once thought of as the best right winger in the world!!!! Can't say that for many Nigerian players.

Other favorites of mine include; Uche Okechukwu, Victor Ikpeba, Ben Iroha, Celestine Babayaro, Vincent Enyeama, Julius Aghahowa, Daniel Amokachi, Sam Okwaraji, Samson Siasia. My apologies to the old-old schoolers, I didn't get to see u guys play.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by Kc3000: 7:38pm On Jun 16, 2011
Oops, had Enyeama on my list. Definitely one of my favorite active players( along with Ike Uche), but he is not an ex-player yet.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by femmy2010(m): 7:54pm On Jun 16, 2011
Rashidi Yekini.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by drgica74: 8:13pm On Jun 16, 2011
Well, I am in Saudi Arabia. Here the only players they know in Nigeria are Amokachi and Kanu, I don't know the reason.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by ayusco: 8:17pm On Jun 16, 2011
YEKINI ahhhh! God bless him if there is one certainty after life and death is that yekini in the opponents 18 with the ball? sure goooooaaaal

JJ men skills that make one weep tears of joy

but for the purpose of this thread finidi. lovely crosses, stupendous shots, graceful movement with the ball men dude is one complete winger that nigeria nay the world has ever seen

honourable mentions aghahowa, ben iroha, chidi nwanu, tj babaginda, mutiu adepoju, the bull amokachi, odegbami
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by pholar(m): 8:30pm On Jun 16, 2011
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by knotty(m): 8:37pm On Jun 16, 2011
Chidi Nwanu is one player i missed. rock steady and solid. Eagles 94
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by Olugboo: 9:25pm On Jun 16, 2011
I most confess since Jay Jay retired, Super Eagles has lost the "Super" and the "Eagles" are more like "Doves" these days. I have lost abit of interest. We need another creative player like Pa Jay. He is definitely the player i missed the most. Amunike and Kanu 2nd and 3rd.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by selingel: 9:41pm On Jun 16, 2011
Whoever does not admire the KING HIMSELF, does not admire football.

Forever in Nigeria, it will remain the Gangling Man, "The net tearer", The Ulltimate until another deposes him:

Please give it up to:

RASHIDI "THE KING" YEKINI.

Watch Nigeria's match at Point Noire in Congo (on that sandy stadium) and there you will know the reason why. For those who didnt watch:

Nigeria had a free-kick right in front of Congolese goal area (just after the center circle). Stephen Keshi stood there, and later left the ball for Rashidi. Yekini took some steps back and ran after the ball like a wounded lion. The shot was such that, even the wall of defence gave way for it to pass through. The goalkeeper, was helpless. Any attempt to catch it, would have made Yekini, another Thunder Balogun!. That shot is yet to be equalled. That became the only goal in that match in far away Congo!.
Another of such was witnessed against Egypt in Tunis '94. Even the goal post shook (which meant admittance), that the striker was deadly. The Egyptian goalkeeper, after the match, admitted Yekini was King of African football. The match ended goaless.

I must mention also the likes of:

1. J.J. Okocha (unequalled mesmerising).
2. Emmanuel Amuneke (1994 nations cup final and Olympic finals in 1996).
3. King Kanu (the lucky chap).
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by jerryben12: 9:47pm On Jun 16, 2011
Did you all forget the men in Nigeria soccer? One of them is 'Henry Nwosu'

A gifted midfielder, Nwosu was the youngest member of Nigeria's victorious 1980 African Nations Cup squad, and scored the only goal for Nigeria at the 1980 Olympics. He also played in the 1982, 1984 and 1988 tournaments, finishing runners up in the latter two, with his last game for Nigeria coming in 1991.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by kennie4u: 10:47pm On Jun 16, 2011
Do not forget Muda Lawal, Aloysius "Blockbuster" Atuegbu, Sylvanus Okpala, And Stehen Okechukwu Keshi,  what about Saudi 89 players , These are great footballers in their time. But for me Kanu Nwakwo is one I miss most, the most intelligent Nigerian footballer, His goals in the 1996 Atlanta Olympic games, Intelligently executed,
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by kabukabu50(m): 1:22am On Jun 17, 2011
The honest truth is that a lot of these so called "good players" were all overated. grin grin

Austin Okocha=Overated.Never played for a big name club,and always underperformed.

Kanu Nwankwo=Overated,quit easily,never chased balls,was lucky most of the time.

The all time best players for nigeria will always be,
1)Finidi George, high work rate, delivered most of the time.
2)Ben Iroha.
The rest are below these guys in terms of value to their team, yeah Okocha was a good midfielder but he wasted too much time dribbling and had sorry finishing, why Nigerians worship dude is beyond me angry angry angry
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by soulfood(m): 2:04am On Jun 17, 2011
YEKINI! You can be sure of a goal if he is in the box with the ball.LOL.there has been no goal scorer like him since.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by henry101(m): 4:53am On Jun 17, 2011
kabukabu50:

The honest truth is that a lot of these so called "good players" were all overated. grin grin

Austin Okocha=Overated.Never played for a big name club,and always underperformed.

Kanu Nwankwo=Overated,quit easily,never chased balls,was lucky most of the time.

The all time best players for nigeria will always be,
1)Finidi George, high work rate, delivered most of the time.
2)Ben Iroha.
The rest are below these guys in terms of value to their team, yeah Okocha was a good midfielder but he wasted too much time dribbling and had sorry finishing, why Nigerians worship dude is beyond me angry angry angry

None of these players you mentioned are/were overarted. Did you ever get to watch the premiership when JJ was the captain of his club?
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by babyboy3(m): 8:21am On Jun 17, 2011
Kanu - Overrated sounds harsh, but he is a mordern day football fraudster,

No has answered my question - What has Kanu done for Nigeria when it comes to football?
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by JohnDoe77(m): 8:29am On Jun 17, 2011
Pius Ikedia
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by MrCork17: 9:32am On Jun 17, 2011
none of them can spek english!! angry
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by deife(m): 11:19am On Jun 17, 2011
Posted by: Mr, Cork
Insert Quote
none of them can SPEK english!!

@ Mr. Cork. Why are you deviating from the topic? This isn't about grammar. You haven't shown you speak better English with your spelling.

@ OP: Give it up for the indisputable King of African football, Rashidi "Yeking" Yekini.
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by mystikal(m): 11:52am On Jun 17, 2011
Taribo West
Re: Who Or Whom Among The Nigerian Ex Players Do You Miss Most? by nirma1230: 11:58am On Jun 17, 2011
thank you to share such a great and help full information, i really like it and appreciated for such a great job

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Warri Peace Marathon Kicks Off Today!!! / Let's Make Money Together By Rollovers / Netherlands Vs Uruguay: [3 - 2] @ World Cup 2010 Semis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.