Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,479 members, 7,904,801 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 07:30 PM

Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London (11930 Views)

Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London / Photos Of Nigerians Who Were Deported From The UK Today / Welcome To Anambra State Thread:the Light Of The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by eghost247(m): 12:43pm On Jun 23, 2011
Simple its to keep the bills low
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by OmoTier1(m): 12:56pm On Jun 23, 2011
The truth is global energy prices are soaring and the average purse is no longer average; hence the need to minimize cost.

Beside, why put on the light when you do not need it? Gas bills are not funny these days and there was even a case in our neighbourhood where a neighbour went and tap his sharewall neighbours light through the roof!!The cloud is getting thicker out there but there's no rain.

Again, its kinda romantic watching your HDTV Span with your misses on the satin, with crips and sauces with lights off! Save your pocket, save the environment, refresh yourself!

@poster, stop visiting ppl at night!Go and cook your own food grin Next time I sight you at the door 'ma turn off the light and disengage the door bell
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by SSaemoenl(m): 1:04pm On Jun 23, 2011
Yeah, Not only in the UK infact all over developed world. The energy company do advice to switch off the light when not in use to save more money and otherwise, Even in Nigeria, I'd once heard from a NEPA staff that they do advice their customers to switch off their light in other to transfer the load to companies that needs them. just that many are illiterates to understand and leave their light unless Nepa took off the light from them and no actual reading was presenter in other to charge them. Poster, Weak up to realities. We learnt it from the host country and it pays. not only Energy, Even Gas And water as well. Please Next page jor visiting visitor. Go and lounge in a hotel and stop running around friends house to save money and see if they are OK or not

Below are advice from Energy company. You can follow this Link and learn more.

Read point to point and see. Not Only Nigerians. Mentality wish. Stop showing urself that you 're from a third world No Offence!. Ciao
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by kandiikane(m): 1:05pm On Jun 23, 2011
it's the most expensive in the developed world coupled with the fact that there are other bills to pay here and there. . . .on bills alone, people pay as much as £1500 per month if you stay in the heart of the capital.

lool, what?!!?

Depending on who you're with the payment is done together with gas and electricity and you get your bill every three months. . The bill they sent for my household this month was four hundred and something pounds(bill for the last three months). That amount is too much unless some just love to waste energy, its ridiculous if someone is paying that amount.
And three hundred and something was on gas.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by TeeJay6(m): 1:14pm On Jun 23, 2011
pepperoni:

@Tee_Jay. hehehehe, if i come around where? U wish i would yeah?
come round to my boys quarters of course smiley i'm, just trying to prove to you that its time to move on from your "on-and-off lightman" that is your ex; and how best can i promote my credentials than by giving you a first hand display
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 23, 2011
It is very pathetic if people switch off their electricity for fear of paying bills especially when a guest is around. I understand if someone is really poor and struggling, however, it is courteous to mind your guest

The truth is that most of us(Nigerians) in the UK spend money on unnecessaries and not on those things that make life more comfortable for us.

A rich friend once asked why i liked roasting stuffs(lamb, potatoes, steaks etc) in the oven all the time, that it will increase my electricity bill.

I'm sorry for people like my friend. They may be rich but as far as I'm concerned, they are of  poor mentality. Avoid people like that if possible
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by cold(m): 2:12pm On Jun 23, 2011
kandiikane:

lool, what?!!?

Depending on who you're with the payment is done together with gas and electricity and you get your bill every three months. . The bill they sent for my household this month was four hundred and something pounds(bill for the last three months). That amount is too much unless some just love to waste energy, its ridiculous if someone is paying that amount.
And three hundred and something was on gas.
Four hundred & some fraction?  shocked What exactly where you guys doing,burning the house down?

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Wallie(m): 2:23pm On Jun 23, 2011
Funny thread…

About 10 years ago, I went to visit a friend in London and was exposed to the hash realities of their environment. One experience that stood with me till today happened at a gas station. When my friend finished pumping his gas, he lifted the saggy rubber hose up with his hands in order to get the last few drops of gas to trickle into his tank. I almost died of laughter! I wonder how our habits will change in the US if a gallon of gas is about $8.00.

I think there are smarter and easier ways to reduce the cost of energy by being proactive. You can realize savings without really feeling it by (1) changing your light bulbs to energy efficient ones, and (2) installing a programmable thermostat and programming it to automatically reduce your heat/AC when you’re not at home or sleeping at night.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by occam(m): 2:43pm On Jun 23, 2011
@poster
so a friend lets you stay in his home and all you can do is nitpick that they turn off the light. Really? That is very ungracious. I bet they cooked meals for you during your stay.

Next time you visits the U.K on "business" stay in a hotel. With $200 - 250 per night you can get a decent hotel. Charge this as a business expense when filing your tax returns.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by parki: 2:58pm On Jun 23, 2011
@poster

the country u're coming from is their light there? you should be happy that u even saw light. ewu!

Thats how one bingo said i shud pay cab fare for her from liverpool to london because she came visiting.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by kandiikane(m): 3:13pm On Jun 23, 2011
cold:

Four hundred & some fraction?  shocked What exactly where you guys doing,burning the house down?
It was for february to may.
We felt cheated because we do not use that much gas and we have got an electric cooker. The gas takes all your money.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by denzel2009: 3:21pm On Jun 23, 2011
kandiikane:

It was for february to may.
We felt cheated because we do not use that much gas and we have got an electric cooker. The gas takes all your money.

Your bill is normal.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by kandiikane(m): 3:25pm On Jun 23, 2011
^^I know but I was shocked because we don't use that much gas for it to be around 350 we use more electricity than gas
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 3:25pm On Jun 23, 2011
kandiikane:

^^I know but I was shocked because we don't use that much gas for it to be around 350 we use more electricity than gas

your heaters are powered by gas.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by kandiikane(m): 3:29pm On Jun 23, 2011
^^I know. We have not used the heaters since March(gets too hot) We bought those portable heaters.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 3:32pm On Jun 23, 2011
kandiikane:

^^I know. We have not used the heaters since March(gets too hot) We bought those portable heaters.

what you used in febuary alone is enough to amount to 300 quid. febuary is the coldest month in the year. the winter bites like crazy then.

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by kandiikane(m): 3:34pm On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

what you used in febuary alone is enough to amount to 300 quid. febuary is the coldest month in the year. the winter bites like crazy then.

hmm grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by denzel2009: 3:35pm On Jun 23, 2011
coogar:

I was about to say the same thing. Now, she will compound her problem with those no mercy portable heaters.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by kandiikane(m): 3:36pm On Jun 23, 2011
I think its also the area I moved into  undecided its like a village.(expensive)
The house is quite reasonable but everything else just dries your pocket
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by AjanleKoko: 3:37pm On Jun 23, 2011
Nigerians at home are wasteful when it comes to energy.
People buy 20KVA generators to power 3 bedroom flats, when their energy consumption should not exceed 7kva at full load.
Also, people switch on all their lights + 3-4 2 horse power A/cs all at the same time. PHCN is not efficient in billing anyway.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by dayokanu(m): 3:39pm On Jun 23, 2011
kandiikane:

In the winter months get a boyfriend to warm you up. Its called going green
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by kandiikane(m): 3:42pm On Jun 23, 2011
smiley
Ahahahaha
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by coogar: 3:43pm On Jun 23, 2011
kandiikane:

I think its also the area I moved into  undecided its like a village.(expensive)
The house is quite reasonable but everything else just dries your pocket

countrysides can be expensive. . . .enough millionaires retire in those areas(away from the hustle-n-bustle of london). . . .as an aside, enough big multinationals, engineering companies are also situated in these areas to avoid the overheads of the major cities. . .thus you are living amongst the big boys in the uk. so expect your utilities to be crazy.

dayokanu:

na hypothermia go kill the couple. . . .if you don't believe me, watch titanic again. grin

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by cold(m): 3:51pm On Jun 23, 2011
dayokanu:

grin grin going green indeed.Eco friendly cheesy
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by comechop1: 4:16pm On Jun 23, 2011
Ordinary bulb, fan and TV is just one point they consume less energy. But that of electric iron, electric kettle, these items consume a lot that is why u hear the sound of the generator change when they are on.

What happend to the solar energy they preach about that power TV, light, washing machine, computer everything?  why can they invest on solar. Na wa living abroad self na headache, less water for shower, less light, less water to do kitchen clean up na wa is no be by force to live abroad!!!!!!!!!!!

In my own opinion, Africa is the best the weather is fine no stress for winter preparation like heater or firewood needed if u are able to own ur land built something reasonable power it with solar energy fix borehole  u will enjoy ur life no more nepa wahala or aboki water etc. ~Pls u people should come back home and built ur houses with solar power to back up becos if ur spending somuch on electric,water and gas what is left for ur upkeep? theres no enjoyment there all u work is gone in the name of abroad u can still make ur paradise in nigeria if u plan well.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by AjanleKoko: 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2011
come chop:

Ordinary bulb, fan and TV is just one point they consume less energy. But that of electric iron, electric kettle, these items consume a lot that is why u hear the sound of the generator change when they are on.

What happend to the solar energy they preach about that power TV, light, washing machine, computer everything?  why can they invest on solar. Na wa living abroad self na headache, less water for shower, less light, less water to do kitchen clean up na wa is no be by force to live abroad!!!!!!!!!!!

In my own opinion, Africa is the best the weather is fine no stress for winter preparation like heater or firewood needed if u are able to own your land built something reasonable power it with solar energy fix borehole  u will enjoy your life no more nepa wahala or aboki water etc. ~Pls u people should come back home and built your houses with solar power to back up becos if your spending somuch on electric,water and gas what is left for your upkeep? theres no enjoyment there all u work is gone in the name of abroad u can still make your paradise in nigeria if u plan well.

Bros,
What kind of countryman reasoning is this?
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Wallie(m): 5:00pm On Jun 23, 2011
AjanleKoko:

People buy 20KVA generators to power 3 bedroom flats, when their energy consumption should not exceed 7kva at full load.
Also, people switch on all their lights + 3-4 2 horse power A/cs all at the same time. PHCN is not efficient in billing anyway.

Most people are just wasteful, period! In my house, all the lights stay turned-on until I turn them off. I keep telling them that I neither have stocks in the local power company nor do I know the owner! Here are examples:
1. Taking stuff out of the fridge and leaving it wide open while walking away because they’re not done. I stopped complaining and just close it myself.
2. Leaving the TV on downstairs with nobody there while watching another upstairs.
3. Leaving the light on in the whole house (3 floors) including the basement.
4. Manually cranking up the central heating during winter and walking around the house in shorts and tank tops! It is WINTER! If it gets so hot in the house that you have to wear a tank top then the heater setting is too high! You should be walking around in sweat pants and top.
5. Turning on all the lights in a bathroom and leaving it on when done! The smallest bathroom has 4 bulbs and the largest 10.
6. Wasting food. This gets to me. My rule is, you can eat whatever you want but once you serve yourself, you sure as hell better finish it!

1 Like

Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by r231(m): 5:32pm On Jun 23, 2011
Wallie:

Most people are just wasteful, period! In my house, all the lights stay turned-on until I turn them off. I keep telling them that I neither have stocks in the local power company nor do I know the owner! Here are examples:
1. Taking stuff out of the fridge and leaving it wide open while walking away because they’re not done. I stopped complaining and just close it myself.
2. Leaving the TV on downstairs with nobody there while watching another upstairs.
3. Leaving the light on in the whole house (3 floors) including the basement.
4. Manually cranking up the central heating during winter and walking around the house in shorts and tank tops! It is WINTER! If it gets so hot in the house that you have to wear a tank top then the heater setting is too high! You should be walking around in sweat pants and top.
5. Turning on all the lights in a bathroom and leaving it on when done! The smallest bathroom has 4 bulbs and the largest 10.
6. Wasting food. This gets to me. My rule is, you can eat whatever you want but once you serve yourself, you sure as hell better finish it!

haha

i know a naija restaurant that does buffet every Sunday and if you waste their food they charge you 5 pounds grin cheesy grin
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by comechop1: 5:36pm On Jun 23, 2011
Living and working abroad is not easy, it involves strenuous activities and so much energy. PEO PLS THINK ABT UR ENERGY IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT ONLY ENERGY FROM BILLS undecided

A family friend of mine living in Germany told us he spent 5.000 euros for energy this past winter. shocked etc. food not included and the house is not big a wife and son. Wow with this amount in naija one will live comfortably with family plus house help and Gardner. But the dude is the own cleaning his kitchen if wife is tired, cook  meal in turn and garden work from time to time including washing of his car, and so on. Complete car wash including engine in the garage is 300 euros so is better u do it urself grin

My dear peo whats the benefit of living abroad these days to me it makes one feel like a slave. By the way in naija when ur tired or sick someone is always out there to help u is it baby sit, washing cloths or iron or house work or go to the market for u name it any day any time they are available  in as much as they help ur saving physical energy for the next day. Abroad is good for business trips, medical treatment and vacation. One man food is anoda mans poison.
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jun 23, 2011
AjanleKoko:

sad sad sad sad

i no get money

i don efficient by force

daddy gen 5kva for when ironing , using borehole pump can carry 1 ac

mummy gen 2.8ka for most of the time
baby gen + inverter - for 12am to 6.30 am

fans only

those peeps go manage by force with diesel at 160/litre
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by denzel2009: 6:00pm On Jun 23, 2011
r231:

haha

i know a naija restaurant that does buffet every Sunday and if you waste their food they charge you 5 pounds grin cheesy grin
Bros tell me the name of the restaurant I need to do extended Bible reading on sunday cheesy
Re: Turn Off The Light: The Daily Life Struggle Of Nigerians In London by Wallie(m): 6:08pm On Jun 23, 2011
come chop:

Living and working abroad is not easy, it involves strenuous activities and so much energy. PEO PLS THINK ABT your ENERGY IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT ONLY ENERGY FROM BILLS undecided

A family friend of mine living in Germany told us he spent 5.000 euros for energy this past winter. shocked etc. food not included and the house is not big a wife and son. Wow with this amount in naija one will live comfortably with family plus house help and Gardner. But the dude is the own cleaning his kitchen if wife is tired, cook  meal in turn and garden work from time to time including washing of his car, and so on. Complete car wash including engine in the garage is 300 euros so is better u do it urself,

Well, labor is very expensive here. My mechanic charges $120 per hour and for some reason, everything seems to take at least an hour.

I once needed a plumber and when I called, I was told that it will be $400 for him to show up to my house and depending on what is wrong I might have to pay extra. Luckily, the cause of the problem was included in the $400 but when he was done, the hole he made in the ceiling was still there. When I asked him about plugging the hole, he said he was just a plumber and I would need to call a drywall installer!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ethiopian Airlines To Start Flights To Enugu Airport / US Warns Citizens In Nigeria After Libya Attack / Who has been to Belgium, Denmark, Norway?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.