Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,785 members, 7,882,714 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:20 PM

Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? (1391 Views)

Is It Right For A Born Again Spirit Filled Christian To Work In These Places?? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Be Using Chains And Earrings? / Is It A Sin For Guy To Wear Fitted Shirts And Skinny Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by suze(f): 10:41am On Aug 01, 2007
Nothing is said about smoking cigarettes in the bible.Is there anything wrong in a christian smoking?
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Papa(m): 11:27pm On Aug 01, 2007
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your BODY is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Don't you think smoking can destroy it?
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by suze(f): 10:14am On Aug 02, 2007
But there are alot of things that can destroy the body besides smoking that christians do. What about:

Eating too much sugary foods which can cause diabetes.
Eating too much oily foods.
Not taking a balanced diet
Eating unhygenic food and water which can cause typhiod
Leaving your environment ddirty which can breed mosquitoes and cause malaria
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by suze(f): 10:17am On Aug 02, 2007
But there are alot of things that can destroy the body besides smoking that christians do. What about:

Eating too much sugary foods which can cause diabetes.
Eating too much oily foods.
Not taking a balanced diet
Eating unhygenic food and water which can cause typhiod
Leaving your environment ddirty which can breed mosquitoes and cause malaria

Dont these fall in the same category as smoking?Since they also cause damage to the body.So why are they not considered as sins?
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by calf(f): 10:51am On Aug 02, 2007
“Dear friend, I am praying that all is well with you and that your body is as healthy as I know your soul is” 3 John 2 (TLB).
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Papa(m): 8:24am On Aug 03, 2007
Brilliant @suze, brilliant! You should listen to some Joyce Meyer messages.

That's indiscipline and it's not characteristic of a mature christian.

Good point!
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by suze(f): 9:39am On Aug 03, 2007
@Papa.What's not characteristic of a mature christian? Smoking or all the other things I mentioned like eating too much sugary foods.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Papa(m): 2:10am On Aug 06, 2007
Indiscipline in every direction - from your post - feeding.
By the way, did I answer you question?
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by doyenn(m): 2:40pm On Aug 06, 2007
It is a sin to smoke because what it's been smoke is not a herb and does not give any vitamins to the body.some only poison the body organ and if it's un hygenic then it's a sin.One of the greatest sin is for someone to inhibit his life and hasten his dealth.Anything that inhibit normal growth of your body and you're engage in such act willingly is a sin.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Papa(m): 6:06pm On Aug 06, 2007
doyenn:

It is a sin to smoke . . . Anything that inhibit normal growth of your body and you're engage in such act willingly is a sin.
@doyenn, once again I need to say something about your post. I would not recommend you determine for anyone what sin is.
In the new testament sin is personal. What is a sin to you might not be a sin to me. That's why I never said in any of my posts that smoking is a sin. (I do not smoke). I just indicated that I do not support it.

Let me reveal it to you:
1 John 3:4 says "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."
But in Romans 10:4: The bible says "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth."

"Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression." Romans 4:15
[center]
There is however something that God calls sin for every man!!!
[/center]

Let's then define sin from the bible:
Romans 14:23 "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for WHATSOEVER IS NOT OF FAITH IS SIN."
And that my friend is the definition of sin in the new testament.

I know you may be asking "does that mean that . . .thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not kill. . . and the likes are no longer of effects?

Emphatically, yes!

"So what will God call sin for me?" - My answer is simply this: "Ask the Holy Spirit who lives in you" When something bothers your mind, the safest thing to do is not to do that thing. It indicates that the Holy Spirit doesn't want you going down that road. That's just an indication. There are times when you will hear Him speak too(because you were listening).

But check this out what Paul says in 1 Timothy 1:8 & 9 "But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; {even after he said the law was ended by Christ} Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,. . ." and then if you're looking at the multitude of sins he lists after, take note that they do not refer to the man who's born-again.

Why?

Because the same person who said ". . .for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,. . ." having the same revelation, said in "And such WERE [/b]some of you: [b]BUT ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God." in 1 Corinthians 6:11

No wonder He said "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." 1 Corinthians 10:23.

Look at the way other versions put it "Looking at it one way, you could say, "Anything goes. Because of God's immense generosity and grace, we don't have to dissect and scrutinize every action to see if it will pass muster." But the point is not to just get by. We want to live well, but our foremost efforts should be to help others live well." <The Message>

"Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive.

24Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <NIV>

23All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life].

24Let no one then seek his own good and advantage and profit, but [rather] each one of the other [let him seek the welfare of his neighbor].<AMPLIFIED>

This is The Concept of Sin in the New Testament

I hope you are not just going to objective swiftly, but rather take time to sit down with your bible and the Holy Spirit and learn something new.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Papa(m): 6:17pm On Aug 06, 2007
Don't get me wrong @doyenn I am simply saying:

"All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life]."

**NOTE: I'm not a smoker and I'm not telling anyone to smoke!

What I simply aim to achieve is ". . .seek the welfare of [my] neighbor].
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Free(f): 9:48pm On Aug 06, 2007
is a sin

ur body is God's temple therefore anythin dat is impure shud not enter grin
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Pepeye(f): 10:53am On Nov 20, 2007
Its not a sin but neither is it right for the body, it doesn’t add anything to the body except to destroy it eventually
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 21, 2007
If you smoke you will die young. So why smoke, do you want to die young or have your voice box removed. By the way who wants to kiss a guy/girl with bad breath. wink wink wink cheesy cheesy
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by dafidixone(m): 12:49pm On Nov 21, 2007
Nothing is said about smoking cigarettes in the bible.Is there anything wrong in a christian smoking?

grin is it written in the bible that you should not commit suicide?

It is not written in the bible, because God knew His true Children are wise and smart. they are not meant to be spoon fed.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by KDK(m): 4:37pm On Nov 21, 2007
If God wanted you to smoke, HE'd have given you a chimney, don't you think? grin
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Millena(m): 2:11am On Dec 25, 2007
@ topic
From 1Corinthians 8: 8-9
Vs 8 It is true that we can't win God's approval by what we eat. We don't miss out on anything if we don't eat it, and we don't gain anything if we do.
Vs 9 But you must be careful with this freedom of yours. Dont cause a brother or sister with a weaker concience to stumble.
So you see (in my opinion), what we eat, drink or smoke has nothing to do with our relationship with God, unless we are bound by a convenant to avoid such. God is not interested in your vegetarian nature or otherwise as long as you don't make an idol of the habit or let the habit influence you negatively (like drugs and over the top liquor) and maybe loose your faith. But this requires extra caution. If your breathren does not understand this like you do, sacrifice such food or drink in their presence so that you would not cause them to sin (by their concience) and loose track of God.
However, that should not be an excuse for killing yourself gradually. You should know what is right for you, and applying wisdom, generally increase your well-being for our heavenly inheritance doesnt start from death, but, heaven starts right here with us. Let us live for Christ as He has promised us everything good since He has paid the price. If you lack wisdom in understanding certain issues, ask God for His divine wisdom. For the scriptures say "does anyone lack wisdom? Let he ask and it shall be given", and also it is written "when the spirit of truth comes, it shall lead you unto all truth".
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Kobojunkie: 7:14am On Dec 25, 2007
I believe the fact that it is not written in the Bible is reason why one needs to use wisdom. Whether it be in eating sugary foods or smoking or cutting yourself. The Fact remains that these are harmful to your body and so what wisdom is there in you continuing in these acts?? Do you benefit your body or soul when you over-eat?? Smoke?? cut yourself?? or do any other harmful thing to self?? When one starts walking with wisdom, I believe one begins to weigh things against what is wise and what is fleshly and hence bad.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Papa(m): 7:27pm On Dec 31, 2007
@Millena, that is such a good and comprehensive explaination. Thank you and Well done! Happy New Year!
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Ganjaseed: 5:16pm On Jan 02, 2008
Tobacco is a vegetable corrupted with chemicals, consumming it is not good for your health because of the chemicals. BUT GOOD GANJA IS PURE AND NATURAL VEGETABLE, CONSTANT CONSUMPTION IS THEREFOR RECOMMENDED.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by dimpules: 9:51am On Jan 05, 2008
what good does smoking do to you body? smokers are liable to die young. na God get that your body o. its his temple so guard it. smoking, drinking, eating too much, whatever it is
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by pilgrim1(f): 10:05am On Jan 05, 2008
Until one can prove that he/she is being led by the Holy Spirit to draw smoke through the nostrils, the question carried in the topic itself does not arise! grin
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by sagitarius(m): 1:39pm On Jan 05, 2008
its a sin 4 ur own health.(accumulation of tar in ur throat and lungs can result 2 dangerous health problems)
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Millena(m): 5:58pm On Jan 23, 2008
Papa:

@Millena, that is such a good and comprehensive explaination. Thank you and Well done! Happy New Year!

Thanks. Happy new year too! Sorry I replied late.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by iniekem(f): 11:37am On Jan 25, 2008
smoking is not a sin but a habit. As a christian u're not suppose to have such an habit. The God said "Be ye holy, as iam holy".
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Smi1(m): 5:04pm On Apr 01, 2010
lol, christians do take things so serious, i also believe night clubing could be a sin !!!!! grin grin sad
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Fhemmmy: 1:12am On Apr 02, 2010
Yes, it is a sin . . . .it destroys the temple of God, your body
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by CrudeOil2(m): 2:21am On Apr 02, 2010
Whats wrong if its a sin?
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Ganjaseed: 12:45pm On Apr 02, 2010
This is purely Nigerian Christianity. They have list of things that should be sin apart from what the Bible have outlined as a sin. Smoking will not separate you from God, "Jesus said not what comes into you that defiles you but what comes out of you" If you say it will make brethren fall away from the faith, your prosperity can also make brethren fall away if they are not getting as much as you get, what do you do about that then ?

Not only smoking destroys the body, even too much exercise can ruin your body tissues.

I hate cigarette, But I burn good ganja and it is good for me.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Maykelly(f): 1:06pm On Apr 02, 2010
sagitarius:

its a sin 4 your own health.(accumulation of tar in your throat and lungs can result 2 dangerous health problems)

Yes sagitarius, you're right. Smoking is bad for christians and Non christians, and is a Sin.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by jesus3: 2:54pm On Apr 02, 2010
May kelly:

Yes sagitarius, you're right. Smoking is bad for christians and Non christians, and is a Sin.
All unrighteousness is sin says 1John5 vs17. The wages of sin is death,but the gift of God is eternal life through christ Jesus.
Re: Is it a sin for a christian to smoke? by Bobbyaf(m): 7:34am On Apr 05, 2010
Unless of course the body is not God's temple. Besides, even if my body was not bought with a price, I still wouldn't poison my body with nicotine. That if anything else is plain stupidity, period.

(1) (Reply)

Does God Prescribes And Demand Human Sacrifice In The Bible? / Questions For The Atheist. / Which 'religion' God Would Judge The World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.