Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,042 members, 7,970,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 12:00 AM

Help Me With This - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Help Me With This (655 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me With This by femmy2010(m): 4:39pm On Jun 23, 2011
There is a particular place in the old testament where it is stated that if an husband dies that the broda 2 d husband should marry the widow?(help me with d verse).
Re: Help Me With This by Dulcet7(m): 5:43pm On Jun 23, 2011
Hello Femmy2010, hope you are having a lovely day.

You are referring to the Levirate marriage

Deuteronomy 25:5–10
5: If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the widow of the dead man shall not be married to a stranger outside the family; her husband's brother shall go in to her, take her as his wife, and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her.

6: And it shall be that the firstborn son which she bears will succeed to the name of his dead brother, that his name may not be blotted out of Israel.

7: But if the man does not want to take his brother's wife, then let his brother's wife go up to the gate to the elders, and say, 'My husband's brother refuses to raise up a name to his brother in Israel; he will not perform the duty of my husband's brother.'

8: Then the elders of his city shall call him and speak to him. But if he stands firm and says, "I do not want to take her,"

9: then his brother's wife shall come to him in the presence of the elders, remove his sandal from his foot, spit in his face, and answer and say, "So shall it be done to the man who will not build up his brother's house."

10: And his name shall be called in Israel, "The house of him who had his sandal removed." (NKJV).
Re: Help Me With This by mazee: 7:42pm On Jun 23, 2011
femmy2010:

There is a particular place in the old testament where it is stated that if an husband dies that the broda 2 d husband should marry the widow?(help me with d verse).

There was a time and place for that
Was done back then to preserve the family line way
This before Dulcet7's reference
Onan was the first casualty of the authoritative order
He was not done for "wringing the turkey's neck"
but for wilfully flouting the authoritative order, having and doing it his way
Moses made this official or formal by virtue the Levirate marriage law

[center]God's last name is not "Dammit"[/center]
Re: Help Me With This by femmy2010(m): 10:40am On Jun 24, 2011
@dulcet,
Am doing great.
My question is if the 2 b bestowed wife 2 broda is already married,what happens?
Sure one wife is what the bible preaches?
Re: Help Me With This by Dulcet7(m): 12:49pm On Jun 24, 2011
@mazee

Thanks for the clarification sir.

@femmy2010

Hello there. At the time in which the law applied, people married as many wives as they wanted so having a wife already is no issue.

God made Moses pass it into law because of the people's wickedness. A man dies, and his relatives would wickedly leave the widow to fend for herself, helpless. So God said the brother should take her in, and also give her children. If he takes her in and refuses to impregnate her, like Onan did, he is trying to be smart by sleeping with the woman (enjoying her) but leaving her without an inheritance in case he dies. That is also wicked.

In today's world, we have legal systems that can cater for these kinds of problems; a man can write a will to help his wife in case he dies.

Have a great weekend.
Re: Help Me With This by mazee: 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2011
Dulcet7:

@mazee

Thanks for the clarification sir.

@femmy2010

Hello there. At the time in which the law applied, people married as many wives as they wanted so having a wife already is no issue.

God made Moses pass it into law because of the people's wickedness. A man dies, and his relatives would wickedly leave the widow to fend for herself, helpless. So God said the brother should take her in, and also give her children. If he takes her in and refuses to impregnate her, like Onan did, he is trying to be smart by sleeping with the woman (enjoying her) but leaving her without an inheritance in case he dies. That is also wicked.

In today's world, we have legal systems that can cater for these kinds of problems; a man can write a will to help his wife in case he dies.

Have a great weekend.

Dulcet7 that was not clarification

Spotted a "Moses moment" so did an Aaron-and-Hur step in, to stay your hands up

(1) (Reply)

Daily Spiritual Nugget / Do God Speak To You / Where's It In The Bible That One Should Fast Frm 6 To 6?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.