Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,631 members, 7,948,426 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 08:44 PM

Torrential Rain Kills Six In Kano - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Torrential Rain Kills Six In Kano (681 Views)

Boko Haram Kills Six In Adamawa, Injures 8 / Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / Heavy Rain in TBS , Surulere Stadium that brooms cant sweep, God Angry With APC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Torrential Rain Kills Six In Kano by ektbear: 7:04pm On Jun 23, 2011
By Edwin Olofu
June 23, 2011 05:22PM
print email

No fewer than six persons were confirmed dead while several others sustained various degrees of injuries and many houses destroyed in Fagge Local Government, Kano after a heavy downpour on Tuesday morning.

The rainfall, which started around 11pm, lasted for over five hours. It destroyed several houses in areas such as Badawa, Kurna and Fagge, all in the Kano metropolis.

NEXT learnt that over 300 people were displaced, over 100 houses affected and about 40 houses were completely destroyed by the torrential rainfall.

The six persons confirmed dead are Hadiza Labaran, Binta Labaran, Bashir Labaran, Aisha Labaran, Abubakar Abbas and Yusuf Abbas.

Abbas Ado who is the father of late Abubakar and Yusuf told NEXT that the rain water gained entrance into his house through the downstairs before it caused the havoc.

"We relocated the children to the upstairs but minutes later the building collapsed and two of them died. I'm currently squatting in my neighbour's house. I lost all I have to the flood. I am appealing to the government to come to our aid".

The interim management officer of Fagge Local Government, Abdulmalik Isma'ila Roggo condoled and commiserated with the victims of the incident, assuring them of government prompt support.

"Fagge Local Government will solicit for support of both state and federal Government to address the problem once and for all. We will not allow flooding to destroy our people," he assured.

He said, the local government has set up a committee to ascertain the level of damage caused by the flood, saying government will put all its best to address the problem of flooding in Fagge area.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/World/Disasters/5720531-146/story.csp

(1) (Reply)

Child's Whine Is The Most Annoying And Distracting Sound / Residents Over Boko Haram’s Hideouts / Mr Abati: Good Luck But Beware

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.