Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,206 members, 7,873,916 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:09 PM

A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) (44934 Views)

Lord Lugards Invation Of Kano Empire 1899 / School Friends Who Travelled Abroad Share 4-Year Throwback Photo / Who Sold Nigeria To The British For £865k In 1899? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Galadimabawa: 3:01pm On Feb 11, 2022
Funny some children are at the back side of the board.
Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Ameduedwin: 4:31pm On Feb 11, 2022
And none of those people are still alive today

1 Like

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by djon78(m): 4:48pm On Feb 11, 2022
Sergio104:
Back to back!!!

Bkayy....... thanks so much bro.
Your striking encephalon is worth praising.

aribisala0.....Bro please know your mate in some certain things. You challenged the wrong titan indeed cry

My knowledge bank was updated today by Bkayy tutorials

It made me understand our igboness more. Even ipob struggle has been a continuation of the Igbo man's doggedness in history dating back to even transatlantic slave trade.

Very very enlightening

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by lildush(m): 5:10pm On Feb 11, 2022
All the people In this picture are dead... 1 day... Maybe in year 2180 all of us living now will be dead too...oh lord... Its well. Just thinking out loud

3 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Sparkle777(f): 5:36pm On Feb 11, 2022
BKayy:

Costliest and symbol of pride for them.
Even at my worst, I was never in the same category with you worthless Yorubas

All nations have all gone through that stage including British, Arabs, Jews and Han Chinese but the worth of each at the time is what differentiates.

Honestly Bkayy, you have also enlightened me despite my being a History Student. I can concur with 80% of what u said here as what was taught in school. But u also brought out more light on this subject. Thank God for you. Don't waste your time arguing in NL, open a blog and educate ppl. I just lack words...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Owologbo(m): 7:19pm On Feb 11, 2022
aribisala0:
Funny

Find out what was happening in Lagos around the same time

https://www.nairaland.com/4144976/lagos-1898before-nigeria-not-oil
why are you (Yorubas) like this?
Is the poster comparing Lagos with Opobo in river state?
Y'all are fill with this hatred that one cannot comprehend towards others for no just reason.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by PressMyButton: 7:37pm On Feb 11, 2022
If you would take your time and Google up on slaves bracelets/anklets/manilas and how the voyage of Europeans took the pieces of metals to West Africa to obtain slaves.
I feel so shameful for a group of people who felt so ignorantly exhilarated that their ancestors were purchased as slaves for a piece of metal.
You exhibited vain boasting as your ancestors were adorned with a slave symbol. If anything at all, your ancestors do not deserve your psychological approval of the degrading of their human value. I'd advise you guys from the east to be sensible and sensitive in your chestbeating. Your childish attempts at glorifying slavery is a crime against your ancestors.

cc; Bkayy heniford2 Omicron007 djon78
derecho Sergio104 Sparkle777
2tpick bomb24

aribisala0 , pls try make your findings too, when I have the time, I'd make a thread about it.

2 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by DuBLINGreenb(m): 8:25pm On Feb 11, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Hahaha. this can never be Ijebu. And Ijebu is not Lagos.

Go to Ijebu, go and see Chief Adeola Odutola colonial majestic castle like building still standing and well maintained till date.

Two things you can not associate with the Yoruba; unclothedness and Cannibalism.

Yoruba don't have a history of walking naked and cannibalism.

And here is why; the Yoruba have centuries old cloth weaving technology called Ofi or Asooke and the yoruba have always had food in abundance because there is abundance of water bodies and land. That is why the Yoruba are not land locked and barren.

Those two are never part of Yoruba culture.

Stop lying the clothes or whatever was used as clothes from the woven material was not enough to go round and was not affordable for all, it was reserved for certain people

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by FreeStuffsNG: 9:10pm On Feb 11, 2022
DuBLINGreenb:

Stop lying the clothes or whatever was used as clothes from the woven material was not enough to go round and was not affordable for all, it was reserved for certain people

Probably in your culture but not in Yoruba. Cloth weaving, just like leatherworks, iron smelting etc are for the commoners and not for the elite and chiefs. This is because these are basic needs. I have pictures of over a hundred old of my forbears fully decked in Yoruba Ofi. When I say fully decked, it means all the complete set like you wear for important occassion.

I repeat, unlike most other cultures of Southern Nigeria, the Yoruba don't have walking naked and cannibalism in their culture.

If you watch epic films that depict ancient Yoruba villages, you will see that even slaves must be fully clothed but if you watch the epic movies of some other cultures in southern Yoruba, even those depicted as princesses wear tiny cloths to just cover their private parts and walk around like that.

Cloth weaving is as old as the Yoruba culture and trade that have lasted centuries and exported by the Yoruba to other parts along the West African coast so the Yoruba will never walk naked. It is also in our proverbs and myth were walking naked is akin to shame ,disgrace and lonely. Being naked is derogatory and sub human in Yoruba mythology.

These information on aspect of dressing in Yoruba culture are in public domain. Please read up sir wink .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Omicron007: 9:12pm On Feb 11, 2022
PressMyButton:
If you would take your time and Google up on slaves bracelets/anklets/manilas and how the voyage of Europeans took the pieces of metals to West Africa to obtain slaves.
I feel so shameful for a group of people who felt so ignorantly exhilarated that their ancestors were purchased as slaves for a piece of metal.
You exhibited vain boasting as your ancestors were adorned with a slave symbol. If anything at all, your ancestors do not deserve your psychological approval of the degrading of their human value. I'd advise you guys from the east to be sensible and sensitive in your chestbeating. Your childish attempts at glorifying slavery is a crime against your ancestors.

cc; Bkayy heniford2 Omicron007 djon78
derecho Sergio104 Sparkle777
2tpick bomb24

aribisala0 , pls try make your findings too, when I have the time, I'd make a thread about it.

I'm waiting.
This particular thread though rough has enlightened me on a lot of things particularly from different perspectives.
Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Donmobi(m): 10:46pm On Feb 11, 2022
aribisala0:
Yes Eboes made better slaves. You are right
This on its own though stereotypical is a fair claim.

The igbos were heavily known to follow very strict rules in farming and tending plantations they outwardly opossed their slave masters in matters concerning this and to the surprise of their slave masters who let them, they yielded positive outcomes in harvest
Nevertheless the igbos were very famous for carrying out revolts and rebellion against their owners, their massive rebellion played a huge roll in the abolition of slave trade as we all know today

1 Like

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Donmobi(m): 10:52pm On Feb 11, 2022
BKayy:

NDIGBO and our cousins from the Eastern region are the only people that resisted slavery even to the extent of taking over slave ships, leading revolts and even taking over slave countries from the whites eg Haiti. The first king of Haiti that led the slave revolt that finally established the independence of Haiti Henri Christopher is of Igbo descent. That is why Igbo slaves were costly. They were very difficult to get and subdue.

But the Yorubas on the other hand are very docile, put up no resistance at all and are willing slaves, so their price went so low that slave traders have to clarify what they have to avoid someone suing them for fraud.
Yoruba Slaves were literally worthless, so they have to be sold in tens.

Here is the portrait of the first king of Haiti, an Igbo blood to the core that led the slave revolt that established the independence of Haiti. Henri Christophe
Not only was he a Haitian legend, his descendants like Pierre Nord Alexis(once Haitian president just like his ancestor) and Michèlè Benette(once Haitian first lady) were also legends and greats in Haiti till date.

Have we also forgotten Bussa, the Igbo slave who led the revolt in Barbados.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Donmobi(m): 10:57pm On Feb 11, 2022
BKayy:

Shamelessness makes you think you can hide under an Igbo clans skirt to throw dust at the same Ndigbo.

Pathetic people. Look at what Dahomey has to say about your ancestors after their teenage girls massacred, raped all Oyo soldiers and took the remaining as slaves.

Should I call you "Nago" or "Yoruba"
Both slave names
This Dahomeans not only raided our Nago brethrens. They had a field day doing it and momentarily did it for fun, its no wonder Abeokuta became a refuge land for our brethrens.
it was quite inhuman to say the least

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Donmobi(m): 11:01pm On Feb 11, 2022
aribisala0:

You are landlocked
You were not in a position to control the slave trade
You were victims of the Ijaw, the Itsekiri, Efix, Ibibio
and
the ruling Akpa dynasty in Arochookyou sold Eboes off for centuries
I feel very sad for you Aribi you doggedly fell into Bkayy's trap, you didn't expect what came next did you?
Your method of "Telling the same story so much, they might believe it", really let you down.

Now you've been openly humiliated as we all can obviously see.
You should have avoided this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Donmobi(m): 11:04pm On Feb 11, 2022
Nevertheless our Nagos brethren did try to spring a revolt in Brazil, with the Malé group(a group of Islamic yorubas, with some Hausas, Fulani and what's not)
Though not successful, it won't be forgotten.

1 Like

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Donmobi(m): 1:18am On Feb 12, 2022
BKayy:

We are genetically flesh eaters according to you but in your own custom, that cannibalism is what differentiates that commoners from the Aristocrats. Your culture brought out a new dimension of meaning for Cannibalism.

As for your Aso oké, I don't need to speak much but show you pictures because I can't be teaching you people your history and customs for free everyday on this forum.
Erudite. one quick one
Our Nagos brothers hadn't always been addressed by their present name "Yorubas", rumours has it that this name " Yoruba ",was given to them by the fellas up north.

Do tell us more on this subject.

3 Likes

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by ThickSharon123(f): 5:04am On Feb 12, 2022
BKayy:

In other words, you can't stop hiding under Minorities skirt.
As for the level stuff, this was how you Afonjas deceived the Ijaw to challenge the lions that they ended up disgraced.

You know why you are hiding. You know within you that your pathetic nation cannot stand toe to toe with the great Ndigbo.

Looking back at your history, you know that your notable kingdom (Oyo) was dismantled by teenage girls of Dahomey who raped and took your men as slaves then turned the entire Yorubaland to slave poultry until Britain liberated you.

So knowing this, I won't blame you for hiding under Minorities skirt because they didn't have it as bad as the Yorubas did.

Ewwwwweeeee grin.... Chisus.

1 Like

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by Rugaria: 5:08am On Feb 12, 2022
Owologbo:

why are you (Yorubas) like this?
Is the poster comparing Lagos with Opobo in river state?
Y'all are fill with this hatred that one cannot comprehend towards others for no just reason.
This is what I don't understand. I find this attitude of the yorubas here very annoying. Once you showcase a historical event or place from your part of the country, especially from the former Eastern Nigeria, they automatically get triggered! All of them will wriggle out from their wet holes to tell you how it happened first in Oyo or ogbomosho.. it's annoying. Every thread, they're desperately trying to convince you that they were the first own this..., talking about how they were the first to do this or that... Very very annoying..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A School In Opobo In 1899 (Throwback Photo) by ThickSharon123(f): 1:00pm On Feb 12, 2022
Rugaria:

This is what I don't understand. I find this attitude of the yorubas here very annoying. Once you showcase a historical event or place from your part of the country, especially from the former Eastern Nigeria, they automatically get triggered! All of them will wriggle out from their wet holes to tell you how it happened first in Oyo or ogbomosho.. it's annoying. Every thread, they're desperately trying to convince you that they were the first own this..., talking about how they were the first to do this or that... Very very annoying..

They want to bam bam, they want to run with the big boys.... I no talk ooo grin.... It's simple dear, inferiority complex.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike / George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After / Photo:Toilet In UNIPORT Hostel (graphic Images).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.