Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,401 members, 7,881,458 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:09 PM

How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? (25997 Views)

How Do You Manage With A Wasteful Over Sabi Wife / How Do You Manage Foodstuffs In These Times? / Bachelors, How Do You Manage Marriage Pressure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by otokx(m): 1:47pm On Mar 13, 2022
My water heater, air-conditioner and Microwave have become Museum pieces so also the Refrigerator. The ceiling fans are used sparingly and all because of PHED and its increasing tarrifs.

In the end it is to cut your clothes according to your material courtesy of prepaid meters.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by pocohantas(f): 1:48pm On Mar 13, 2022
frozen70:

You are one of the low self esteem men we have in this forum

What's your business if I bring this out

We have had worst cases of couples having issues yet it was sorted out amicably here

Why is this particular post hurting you

If I mentioned just this bill here who else do you think runs the home affairs bills

I was waiting patiently for them to quote you. It would have been fine if a man posted that, but sadly you are not a man. cheesy
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 1:48pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Are they locally available?
Yes
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by faceland: 1:50pm On Mar 13, 2022
nurez305:
I really don't know how they are charging some people, I have all the basic electrical appliances in my house including rice cooker.

I hardly finish 1500 naira token on my prepaid meter.

My brother told me that Ikeja electric distribution gave 20 unit for 1k and I still get 35 unit on every 1k recharge.

My question is why is some paying higher than others ?

NB the prepaid meter was done by NEPA official and I never bypass anything and I will never do so.

Hide your secret because you might be cheating NEPA. If I buy 2000 credit, 700 would go to tax and other deductions and I might end up with 20 units which last for 2 or 3 days.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by iBanger(m): 1:52pm On Mar 13, 2022
For a 2 bedroom apartment with bulbs, 3 fans, a fridge, solar iron, 40 inches led, home theater and gaming console. Occasionally use of pumping machine.

What will be the total cost/ range to setup a good solar system to power such apartment? (Cut your coat according to your size price)

Rubyjade:
3KW INVERTER SETUP + SOLAR

1. 3Kw 24volt Hybrid inverter = #330,000

2. Battery Bank 12v 200AH 4pcs = #165,000 x 4 = #660,000 (QUANTA BATTERY)

3. Solar Array 350w 9pcs = #80,000 x 9 = #720,000

4. Solar mounting rails on roof and its accessories = #46,000

5. Battery Rack = #35,000

6. DC & AC Cables = #80,000

7. AC & DC breaker, changeOver, trunking, breaker box, AC & DC Surge, PV combiner Box, #50,000

8. Waybill to Anambra = #40,000 - within Lagos

9. Installation = #150,000

TOTAL = #2,111,000What are the appliances in the house?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 1:52pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
Yes

Brands and price please. Let me do my due diligence. Lithium batteries?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by faceland: 1:54pm On Mar 13, 2022
shopwiser:
Firstly no light everywhere in Nigeria plus fuel is expensive.. so we certainly can't even relate to your post.. Nigeria electricity powering gets poor day by day... Will it kill our leaders to power our country for even 12 hours a day.

My brother Nigeria is not balance. Some part of the country has almost 24/7 light that they off their fridge to reduce icing and power consumption. Just the way some are dying of hunger while some are building multiple mansions at once.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 1:57pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
switch to solar

Everyone keeps saying switch to solar. And I am in support. But what is the plan for reduced insolation during the rainy season?

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:00pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Everyone keeps saying switch to solar. And I am in support. But what is the plan for reduced insolation during the rainy season?
Are you saying there is no sun during raining season?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by PHIPEX(m): 2:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
mandate12:

All through yesterday n the day before, there was was power outage and it rained too yest. No sun, power reserve almost depleted caus my solar system didnt get energy from sun. Solar is not 100% reliable but its cool
What I do in such case is to use only bulbs and charge phones. It's better than running gen.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by loswhite(m): 2:02pm On Mar 13, 2022
Grupo:

How many units does 1k give you in your locality?

I don't have prepaid yet but BEDC is around 59 naira per kilowatt. It is about 16.9 unit
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 2:04pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
Are you saying there is no sun during raining season?

Is it sufficient enough to fully charge the battery banks EVERYDAY? Just this week were there was cloud cover I had outages due to insufficient charge

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:06pm On Mar 13, 2022
iBanger:
For a 2 bedroom apartment with bulbs, 3 fans, a fridge, solar iron, 40 inches led, home theater and gaming console. Occasionally use of pumping machine.

What will be the total cost/ range to setup a good solar system to power such apartment? (Cut your coat according to your size price)

I would suggest you get a separate solar for the pumping machine.
The same thing with the quote I gave you only reduced the numbers of batteries and solar panels, SIMPLE!
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 2:07pm On Mar 13, 2022
mandate12:

All through yesterday n the day before, there was was power outage and it rained too yest. No sun, power reserve almost depleted caus my solar system didnt get energy from sun. Solar is not 100% reliable but its cool

Fully agree with you. I track my daily production and on Wednesday and Thursday where I live I woke.up to.cloud cover. My heart fell. I dey monitor my production so much that once it's 6:45am I know the charger must turn on and I go and double check. Solar is good but it has its limits. Big limits

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Is it sufficient enough to fully charge the battery banks EVERYDAY? Just this week were there was cloud cover I had outages due to insufficient charge
It's true, solar ain't 100% but it better than NEPA/PHCN crazy bills. How many panels & batteries do you have?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:10pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Fully agree with you. I track my daily production and on Wednesday and Thursday where I live I woke.up to.cloud cover. My heart fell. I dey monitor my production so much that once it's 6:45am I know the charger must turn on and I go and double check. Solar is good but it has its limits. Big limits
What's are the limits to solar?
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by loswhite(m): 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2022
sasview:

Considering this option, I only need a testament that it is viable and reliable alternative, currently I spend average of 40k per month on prepaid with all caution to limit consumption and mostly not at home during the day.
What appliances are you using? A 1.5 Ac consumes about 60 naira per hour. If you run your AC for 1 hour it is about a unit gone in just one hour.
If you are using heating elements too it also consumes alot of energy.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:12pm On Mar 13, 2022
PHIPEX:
What I do in such case is to use only bulbs and charge phones. It's better than running gen.
Your solar control charger MUST have a USB charger port at least 2 ports, it saves you the problem of charging using the sockets.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 2:15pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
It's true, solar ain't 100% but it better than NEPA/PHCN crazy bills. How many panels & batteries do you have?

6 panels. 4 batteries. I'm looking to switch to Lithium batteries. 2 year plan is to save enough to buy 2 Tesla Powerwalls.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:16pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Brands and price please. Let me do my due diligence. Lithium batteries?
Check city mall or Felicity lithium batteries or they used to have there shop in Ojota, I don't know if they are still there
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 2:17pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
What's are the limits to solar?

Solar doesn't "work" on rain washed days. And by doesn’t work I don't mean your inverters don't work. Your solar panels on your roof are useless when the rain falls. Zero generation. Remember that the most efficient solar panels are only 22% efficient. On cloudy days the panels have very low production. Often insufficient to match regular consumption

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:18pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

6 panels. 4 batteries. I'm looking to switch to Lithium batteries. 2 year plan is to save enough to buy 2 Tesla Powerwalls.
it should carry you except you consume a lot of energy, I m using same and I have not had power for the past 4 days and I have been on solar all through
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 2:20pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
it should carry you except you consume a lot of energy, I m using same and I have not had power for the past 4 days and I have been on solar all through

My batteries are somewhat aged. 4 years old. I don't consume electricity at all. 2 TVs in the house. They only come on on Sundays. Off throughout the week. Fridge is on 24hours though but it's an inverter Fridge

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:20pm On Mar 13, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Solar doesn't "work" on rain washed days. And by doesn’t work I don't mean your inverters don't work. Your solar panels on your roof are useless when the rain falls. Zero generation. Remember that the most efficient solar panels are only 22% efficient. On cloudy days the panels have very low production. Often insufficient to match regular consumption
The bolded true but if well managed, you will enjoy it, obviously you consume a lot of energy.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by airsaylongcome: 2:22pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
The bolded true but if well managed, you will enjoy it, obviously you consume a lot of energy.

I don't. I'm at home now and the only thing on apart from my Internet is my fridge. Every other thing is off from the wall.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Enosa1(m): 2:24pm On Mar 13, 2022
Go Solar, thank me later
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by jaeyking(m): 2:27pm On Mar 13, 2022
BabaO2:
old meter?

Yea old prepaid meter

Not this new consuming type
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
3KW INVERTER SETUP + SOLAR

1. 3Kw 24volt Hybrid inverter = #330,000

2. Battery Bank 12v 200AH 4pcs = #165,000 x 4 = #660,000 (QUANTA BATTERY)

3. Solar Array 350w 9pcs = #80,000 x 9 = #720,000

4. Solar mounting rails on roof and its accessories = #46,000

5. Battery Rack = #35,000

6. DC & AC Cables = #80,000

7. AC & DC breaker, changeOver, trunking, breaker box, AC & DC Surge, PV combiner Box, #50,000

8. Waybill to Anambra = #40,000 - within Lagos

9. Installation = #150,000

TOTAL = #2,111,000What are the appliances in the house?
2hp inverter Ac x1
1.5hp inverter Ac x 3
4 water heating unit
One Fridge
Automatic washing machine
Water dispenser

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by EkperemoEgbabi: 2:30pm On Mar 13, 2022
MemoriesAndMe:

Nice. Thanks for the information. Do you need generator sometimes as backup or you're entirely on solar?

NAA, if solar no dey, I just charged for 1 to 2hrs hours with NEPA whenever they are available and disconnect. NEPA charges batteries pretty fast. I haven't touched generator for 3yrs

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Awesometouch1: 2:30pm On Mar 13, 2022
sasview:
I am just curious with the disco tariff on energy consumption, if one is not careful the cost of buying energy will be competing with rent. I have seen apartments that share prepaid meter and all parties involved agreed to only use energy /light during the night or weekend, so they disconnect from disco during day.
I was like there could be a better way to manage energy consumption. If you have an alternative way pls. share and let's benefit from it.
I pay #60 per unit or 16.5units for #1k. Didn't know it's even cheaper in high brow areas of Lagos.
Re: How Do You Manage Energy Consumption At Home? by Rubyjade: 2:31pm On Mar 13, 2022
Okay! I usually advise change of batteries after 4yrs.
airsaylongcome:

I don't. I'm at home now and the only thing on apart from my Internet is my fridge. Every other thing is off from the wall.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Are Those Things You Can Never Forgive A Husband For / My Aunty Sent Me Packing / Zimbabwe Man Kicked Out His Parents’ House By Wife To Make Way For Her Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.