Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,863 members, 7,872,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:50 AM

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) - Properties (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) (295197 Views)

How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by olubuffett: 5:40pm On Dec 25, 2011
Merry Christmas to all in the house, what God as started He will surely finish it and may 2012 be a better year, filled with He's divine help.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 10:39pm On Dec 25, 2011
Looking forward to this thread in 2012 . . .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 7:09am On Dec 26, 2011
^^^^ Oh! 2012,
By the special grace of God this house will be completed and painted and house warming party pictures will conclude this thread. But what is really exciting me now is the other works which we are going to do in 2012, arrangements are in top gear to start many houses, starting from January. All the uncompleted projects will be completed as we recieve more funding. We now have more workers calling on phone everyday and asking to be deployed to sites, and more architects and structural engineers are joining the team. (I spent 3 hours in talks with another fresh graduate who just finished his service year) I love to work with younger men, those who are smart and has got some fresh ideas and can think outside the box.

I will also need an office fitted out, with an educated secretary keeping things moving while we are away in the sites. The office will be our meeting point with clients, suppliers, artisans and professionals. We are looking at 2012 as busy and we plan to take things to another level.

Another level in efficiency
Another level in cost saving
Another level in quality output
Another level in timely completion
Another level in good relationship with our external envionment

We are not profit crazy, we just want to be remembered for doing good, for transparency and accountability, for structurally sound building and uniquely beautiful finishes, all at the cheapest cost possible.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by caseymoney(m): 4:14pm On Dec 26, 2011
^^^I love the last part of your write-up. Keep the good job going.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by rastaman20(m): 5:30pm On Dec 26, 2011
cheesy Sir carry ur student along with u as we learn more. Still remain Loyal and always ready to learn more.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 5:48pm On Dec 26, 2011
Oga Spyder . . . . You are just awesome
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Favourme2: 1:42am On Dec 27, 2011
I trying to plan for my building project which will starts sometime next year. Considering I am not in Nigeria, I am drawing up a plan that will ensure good work and less "cheating" on pricing and materials.

I intend to involve the following:

1. Builder - This person will bring workers, suggest what & quantity of materials to buy and ensures building is done according to drawn plan. I will negotiate with him on price and quantity of materials needed. I will supply all materials he requires.

2. Agent (possibly my junior brother) - Based on my negotiation with the builder and price quotation from other sources including this site, he will buy all required materials, ensure they are delivered to the building site. He will also be on site to ensure materials bought are actually used and not diverted.

3. Supervisor (maybe my inlaw who lives in same town) - Occasionally visit site, ensures work is being done as planned and that the builder is doing the right thing. Possibly, I will ask him for a separate quotation/pricing for materials. Just to make sure that I am not being ripped off.

Apologies if you guys think I am planning like a "baby". I don't have experience in these things and based on what I have read on the internet including this blog about some people being ripped off, I am trying to avoid that. Money hard to get!!!!.

Please, is this plan ok? Any better ideas?

Again, what do you guys suggest for rate/amount for the builder, Agent and Supervisor? And should it be based on daily rate or based on amount of work done or should be contracted out?

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 5:00am On Dec 27, 2011
Favour_me:

I trying to plan for my building project which will starts sometime next year. Considering I am not in Nigeria, I am drawing up a plan that will ensure good work and less "cheating" on pricing and materials.

I intend to involve the following:

1. Builder - This person will bring workers, suggest what & quantity of materials to buy and ensures building is done according to drawn plan. I will negotiate with him on price and quantity of materials needed. I will supply all materials he requires.

2.  Agent (possibly my junior brother) - Based on my negotiation with the builder and price quotation from other sources including this site, he will buy all required materials, ensure they are delivered to the building site. He will also be on site to ensure materials bought are actually used and not diverted.

3. Supervisor (maybe my inlaw who lives in same town) - Occasionally visit site, ensures work is being done as planned and that the builder is doing the right thing. Possibly, I will ask him for a separate quotation/pricing for materials. Just to make sure that I am not being ripped off.

Apologies if you guys think I am planning like a "baby". I don't have experience in these things and based on what I have read on the internet including this blog about some people being ripped off, I am trying to avoid that. Money hard to get!!!!.

Please, is this plan ok? Any better ideas?

Again, what do you guys suggest for rate/amount for the builder, Agent and Supervisor? And should it be based on daily rate or based on amount of work done or should be contracted out?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

I see a potential mini civil war being planned grin
When you add a total stranger (builder) to your family (agent) and counter-balance the equation with another part of your family (in-laws)/(supervisor), and money is involved what you get is real confusion, your immediate family may think your in-laws are coming to interfere. Who will be in control of who? In the case where there is a decision and the 3 parties are singing different tunes, who calls the shots?

I think you just need to hire a builder, who will be in charge of all the building activities, planning each stage and making sure everyone is carried along, liaising with your supervisor to ensure materials of good quality are bought and then working with his workers, whom he has complete controls over.

You also need a supervisor (1 person) buying materials and ensure usage and even quality of work, he will be your eye and represent your interest in the site. He will not be bossing your builder around and must provide materials on time. He can complain about quality of work if not good enough but cannot hire or fire workers.

Two is company, three is a crowd grin grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 5:48am On Dec 27, 2011
I pressed the fast-forward button and this is what I saw in 2012 grin
The Spyder team working on a site

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 5:57am On Dec 27, 2011
Spyder you are a 100% right (wow! Who is this Spyder of a guy?) how long have you been in this business? You seem to know too much!
You called it mini war but I call it WW111 cause that's what is exactly going on at my site. My workers are strangers ofcox even though my contractor (town man) uses them. Then my younger brother (supervisor/supplier) he buys all their materials because all fund goes to his account. While he is my eyes there and protecting his brothers interest, my contractor feels like smashing his camera every time he start taking pictures because he knew that his phone will definitely ring if I see anything I don't like. As we speak now, I've even made up my mind to use a different contractor for the top part because I am tired of the cat and mouse thing going on between them and my contractor eventhough he's doing a good job so far does it at his own time and always in and out of the site because of other jobs. But like you said men, that combination is not a good idea at all.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 9:03am On Dec 27, 2011
^^^^ Thank you Prince, actuaally I have spent more than 13-14 years working on sites everyday, and I have witnessed schemings, overthrows and sometimes physical blows and free-for-all fights live on sites. Its like politics, the relative is the govt, the contractor is like the private sector and the workers are the poor masses, always. The govt has the control, by controlling the purse strings, the contractor must fall in line, or one regulatory order will be passed against him, while the workers must thread the fine line between the contractor and the govt (site owner and representatives)

I have seen plenty, even cases where the brother connived with the contractor and ripped their employer off! Money running into millions were paid and diverted and the brother only found out when he came back and saw that the work which was said to be in the roofing stage is still at the decking stage.

I have seen cases where the relatives scared the workers away with their shouting and insisting things should be done in another way, while the contractor abandoned the project mid way due to the problems. Too much energy was spent cursing and fighting to the detriment of the job. That house is still at the window level 6 months after.

Real builders knows how to navigate the terrain, how to balance their act, getting the best of everybody, how to be friendly to the family you are working for, maintaining good relationship with your wokers where possible and making sure your services are delivered with quality assured, because in the end, it is only the quality of job done that you will be remembered with, not for being Mr. Nice guy.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 2:56pm On Dec 27, 2011
spyder880:

I pressed the fast-forward button and this is what I saw in 2012 grin
The Spyder team working on a site

Just like you have dreamt it, so shall it be in Jesus' Name
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 4:44pm On Dec 27, 2011
Spyder, You're absolutely right! My contractor is not only my town's man but also a very close family friend which is one of the reasons why I want to let him go now while we're still at peace. He expect me to believe every single thing he tells me and that's the reason why the picture taking by my brother makes him mad. when we started, he will tell me things like "I have 8 guys here working and we're getting ready to do the lintel tomorrow, my brother will tell me that he have only 2 workers and 2 labourers and that they just got to the window level and even back it up with picture prove. When I ask him he'll tell me that am not in Nigeria so I won't understand every thing! and the most annoying part is when I tell him what I want and he does something else and end up telling me that that's how people or everybody do it now! all the same, one need a lot of patience and discipline to handle both family, workers, or contractors.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Basseti: 4:48pm On Dec 27, 2011
prince_onx:

. When I ask him he'll tell me that am not in Nigeria so I won't understand every thing!

I go bananas everytime I hear that!!!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Demainman1: 6:36pm On Dec 27, 2011
Dr Spyder(PHD), Compliments of the season to you and yours! May our good Lord continue to enrich you with great knowledge so that you can continue to share with us on the forum. I really appreciate all your good works. wishing you more building contracts in the new year. Amen.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 6:39pm On Dec 27, 2011
Lookiing forward to a lot of teaching next year . . .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by dasparrow: 6:55pm On Dec 27, 2011
spyder880:

^^^^ Thank you Prince, actuaally I have spent more than 13-14 years working on sites everyday, and I have witnessed schemings, overthrows and sometimes physical blows and free-for-all fights live on sites. Its like politics, the relative is the govt, the contractor is like the private sector and the workers are the poor masses, always. The govt has the control, by controlling the purse strings, the contractor must fall in line, or one regulatory order will be passed against him, while the workers must thread the fine line between the contractor and the govt (site owner and representatives)

I have seen plenty, even cases where the brother connived with the contractor and ripped their employer off! Money running into millions were paid and diverted and the brother only found out when he came back and saw that the work which was said to be in the roofing stage is still at the decking stage.

I have seen cases where the relatives scared the workers away with their shouting and insisting things should be done in another way, while the contractor abandoned the project mid way due to the problems. Too much energy was spent cursing and fighting to the detriment of the job. That house is still at the window level 6 months after.

Real builders knows how to navigate the terrain, how to balance their act, getting the best of everybody, how to be friendly to the family you are working for, maintaining good relationship with your wokers where possible and making sure your services are delivered with quality assured, because in the end, it is only the quality of job done that you will be remembered with, not for being Mr. Nice guy.

When I am ready to start my building project, I will definately keep you in mind. You strike me as an honest professional who knows what he is doing. Keep up the good work sir.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 7:20pm On Dec 27, 2011
@Demain man, Fhemmmy, dasparrow, I hope everyone has picked their own wines, we are running low on Hennessey, and other e-wines, welcome my people.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by rastaman20(m): 9:18pm On Dec 27, 2011
@sypder880, I didn't see my own brand of wine ooooo.(DIABLO ROJA) cabrnet suavogon 18 years, I am still waiting oooooo.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 9:39pm On Dec 27, 2011
^^^^ Ha! My man Rastaman20, I have Diablo sauvignon, even the 20 years version of it, they are unloading it from the trucks, I had them shipped all the way from the South of France.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Favourme2: 11:44pm On Dec 27, 2011
Thanks spyder880 for your response. I was thinking there will be problem with my plan. But your suggestion is not different because it still involves 3 parties (builder, supervisor and someone who will be buying materials/ensuring good job is done).

How will I go forward? What is the best plan?

I will be the one calling the shots from abroad. I will be agreeing directly with builder about labour cost, duration and what materials to buy. I will then ask an agent to buy those materials as agreed with the builder and supply same to the building site. I wanted to use my brother as agent but my brother will be going to lagos to start searching for job by next year (he finished NYSC this year). If my brother travels out, who else can be my agent? I wanted my inlaw to occasionally visit the site and confirm what has been done simply because he is in town. Or should I not involve my inlaw?

I am bit confused? What exactly shud I do? I guess its not right to use only the builder and making him to be in charge of workers, rate, buying materials and being supervisor.

And I don't want any problem with my family, inlaws and builder. This is scaring!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by NextHome(m): 11:59pm On Dec 27, 2011
^^^ Be careful! I really wish many people who've gone through this would speak up. You need a trustworthy builder and someone to oversee the project. That person will be your eye in the project while the builder reports to him and not you, otherwise he's irrelevant.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by jonahoc: 12:41am On Dec 28, 2011
Hi Spyder880. I'm a new comer to nairaland and happen to hail from the same area as you do. how is your building coming along and how is the price of land in Enugu now?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by olubuffett: 1:22am On Dec 28, 2011
Favour_me:

I am bit confused? What exactly shud I do? I guess its not right to use only the builder and making him to be in charge of workers, rate, buying materials and being supervisor.

And I don't want any problem with my family, inlaws and builder. This is scaring!!

@Favour me
Like barus said be very very,  careful families, inlaws, outlaws just might not take care of your project like you will do, speaking from experience I will suggest two things

1. give your project to a contractor where contract will be signed.
2.  if you are going to do diy ask your brother to collect mobile numbers, bank accounts details of local suppliers of cements, blocks and sand  etc, you can always monitor prices your self and when you decide to buy ask your brother to call them and negotiate, they can delivery to your site without your builder being involved ( do not call using overseas num), trying  to call the shot from where ever you are is not the same thing as being on ground. employ an engineer who understand drawing or someone with passion able experience, that can foresee mistakes and errors in the making. Ask your brother to visit the site anytime is free, lastly give little rooms for the boys to chop something, know that not all materials can be purchased by you builder or engineer will have to purchase some. May u find favour while building.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by benimeogu(f): 4:08am On Dec 28, 2011
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 5:03am On Dec 28, 2011
Favour_me:

Thanks spyder880 for your response. I was thinking there will be problem with my plan. But your suggestion is not different because it still involves 3 parties (builder, supervisor and someone who will be buying materials/ensuring good job is done).

How will I go forward? What is the best plan?

I will be the one calling the shots from abroad. I will be agreeing directly with builder about labour cost, duration and what materials to buy. I will then ask an agent to buy those materials as agreed with the builder and supply same to the building site. I wanted to use my brother as agent but my brother will be going to lagos to start searching for job by next year (he finished NYSC this year). If my brother travels out, who else can be my agent? I wanted my inlaw to occasionally visit the site and confirm what has been done simply because he is in town. Or should I not involve my inlaw?

No, I mean only two parties will be involved. The builder and an agent, who could be your younger brother, only that he will be away in Lagos, but you can convince him to come down and do the buying of materials for some stages, say the foundation till the walling and then go back. The agent can come in and supervise all day to day activities, but his real work will be ensuring that all the materials bought are used in the work. He should be around or if he pops in, should monitor the balance of everything without sounding bossy. (somebody must represent you on site or these guys will reap you off) Can your in-law be trusted with the buying? In that case he can become the agent and there will be no need to involve your brother.

Your comment about using the builder to do everything, buying, supervising and building, well trust is very scarce now, many people cannot resist the temptation of dipping their hands in the till. Except you know him before, and he has a reputation for being honest in the town. Even at that its still dangerous in our present Nigeria.

Don't be scared, things will work out fine. You could also save and come down on holiday and be around if all else fails. But that saddens me a lot, why should somebody work hard and spend the money hard just because we cannot be trusted as a people? Why must somebody who worked hard to make his money have to fly down here to build only a house, taking risks with robbers who will be targeting you as a foreign meat, transport problems, hotel accommodations and other small problems just because there are very few persons to trust? This country needs a change.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 5:16am On Dec 28, 2011
jonahoc:

Hi Spyder880. I'm a new comer to nairaland and happen to hail from the same area as you do. how is your building coming along and how is the price of land in Enugu now?

Welcome brother, nnoo!
My project is going along well, there were some sketchy work going on in the site yesterday, maybe I will post pictures next.
As of the price of lands in Enugu, it is now getting very scary. You cannot see very good deals anymore, can you imagine that the land which we have agreed to pay the owner N5m on 24th December, we called the man to remind him that my client is coming along to pay this Wednesday 28th of December and the man told me that the price has increased, and that he can only sell at N8m. Is this not just, just, I lack the words to express my annoyance.

But we are marching on, I will be going to inspect another land where they called me to come and see for the same client, this one will be sold for N3.5m and its in a good location. So many lands can still be sold for N2M-N3M depending on the location of the land. We have a fenced land for sale near Emene for N3.5m.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by jonahoc: 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2011
daalu nwa nne m. I'm considering building my residence in a good area of Enugu and probably also having an investment property ( block of flats) for income. At the moment I don't know how to go about this but hope to start concrete plans soon. If you could give an update on your expenses so far and the stage you are with your project, it will help me greatly.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2011
^^^ cost update on my house seems to have crossed into the N3m mark after I did the casting of the designed pillars and is planning to top the final blocks before roofing. This house has surprised me as the mark I placed on the cost has since been surpassed. I am now thinking of how much the roofing will cost. If I were you, planning to build residential and commercial buildings, I will paln for one plot, build 4 flats and deck it, then put up the best penthouse on top. I will live in the penthouse and rent the 4 flats. In fact, money to build the penthouse will come from rents collected from tennants in the flats. Since you are not going to live there everyday, but only when you come in, the penthouse makes good sense.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 2:02pm On Dec 28, 2011
If the new client I am going to see his bungalow accepts, I will open another thread later today, we are starting another bungalow somewhere near Enugu. I am on my way to measure the site and possibly start off the project. This 4 bedroom project may start in the second week of January and we intend to be ready for roofing in 3 weeks or less. We can finish this house in 6 weeks or less. Budget is N2 million till all the roofing is done. More info later this evening.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by benimeogu(f): 2:19pm On Dec 28, 2011
I
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 2:43pm On Dec 28, 2011
^^^ till all the roof is done, yes. Step tile 0.45 aluminium roofing sheets. We shall see all these live on this forum.

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (93) (Reply)

Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.