Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,975 members, 7,942,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 11:01 AM

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) - Properties (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) (297256 Views)

How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by jerryben12: 2:15am On Jan 06, 2012
spyder880:

More story about plastering this night. Costs, methods and strategies for squezing out the best from you workers in plastering and other finishing works.

Waiting on this. I have my pen and note pad ready to take notes.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by benimeogu(f): 4:00am On Jan 06, 2012
@
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 4:04am On Jan 06, 2012
Favour_me:
Hi Guys,Hope you guys had fun during xmas and new yr celebration. May God's blessings continue to be for you all in this new year and beyond.One more question about my building plan. I have been told by my representative that he has found a builder and that the builder has done work for him. I intend to use the builder. My rep advised me to pay each worker based on the number of blocks he laid and that the builder will be paid daily. Please note my rep will be on ground to make sure the builder is there and supervising (and that the builder can be paid additional worker rate if he decides to work and lay blocks).I am seriously considering this proposal. But I have read from this blog that its better to draw up a contract and have the builder signed. Please, what is the implication of not having a contract as the builder is known and he won't be paid on contract anyway?[b]Again, if a building is done and maybe (God forbid) collapses in the future because of poor work, will I be held liable? Or will it be the builder? Does signing contract ensures the builder is liable?[/b]Please guys, help throw more light in this area.
Am not a big fan of negotiating or paying for labour daily. I personally don't like the idea maybe builder back home will understand more but for me I preffer negotiating for the whole work, pay a down payment or pay bit by bit as the project improve or balance when completely done. For example I negotiated for mine in sections like digging of foundation, then block work up to german floor which includes filling and all that, then german floor. After german floor, I negotiated for block setting/laying all the way to decking except carpentry and iron work for lintel and pillars which was charged separately. After all that I negotiated with iron bender for decking work, carpenter forĀ all decking wood/work. All I need to do is supply them the materials they need.
As per holding a builder responsible for a collapsed house, when will this be? if it happen immediately?, few months? few year? or after 80years? well, I don't think so! at least not in Nigeria! where you wan see am? which mouth you go take talk am sef after 20years God forbid it happen? (maybe insurance will work then if any)
Guy, just build your house with the right standards as much as you can and leave the rest to God/nature. Thank God we really don't get earthquakesin naija you won't even remember where the contract is.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 5:08am On Jan 06, 2012
jerryben12:

Waiting on this. I have my pen and note pad ready to take notes.

Well, plastering a house is a tricky business and there are several ways of negotiating the work with workmen. It is better to negotiate the contract by counting, in my case I like to count by partitions of the house. Each 12 ft width on the wall is a partition (example is a room of 12 foot x 12 foot will be called 4 partitions in the counting. (only the inside) It does not matter what is on the wall, window, door, etc are not counted no matter how large or small the space the occupy, same charge is paid for straight walls and those with windows/doors. Some workers charge about N700 and more to plaster each wall partition and then pay his laborer, N650 if you are paying for the laborer helping him.

Plastering the underneath of the decking is the hardest work in masonry. This work is so tasking some don't even do it as it involves serious stress. In my case I am paying the mason N350 per plank under the deck, that way we just count the deck plank marks under the deck and use this to get how much he will be paid. Or a flat rate of N2500-N3000 for each room applies for some builders paying the guys who do the plastering.

But our Nigerian artisans are not good at plastering and other finishing works, try the Ghanaian or Togolese workers and you will respect the beauty of the house. My house has been plastered, only the under the deck in each room as am still thinking of last efforts to see what am forgetting in the walls, to do all electrical and plumbing works before the plastering of the walls.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by princeonx: 5:40am On Jan 06, 2012
^^
Exactly why I said you guys into the business and in Naija can negotiate it piece by piece better than those of us that are not close by. Where I get chance to count wall not to talk of plank by plank under the decking? All the same though, your style seems to be cheaper cause with your calculations, a room is N700X4 walls plus N3,000 most under decking, plus N650 laborer bringing a whole room to about N6,450. What about the floor? I guess those will be tiles.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 6:20am On Jan 06, 2012
^^^ almost all of my floor spaces will be tiled. But for the other houses I have built, N2,500 for each room floor (12 x12)
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 6:50am On Jan 06, 2012
My roof is the next work. From my own rough estimates, I may spend about N200k on wood materials, N120 for carpenter labor, and N450-N480k for the step tiles aluminum sheets. Na wao!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 6:58am On Jan 06, 2012
Before the arrival of the wood tomorrow or Monday, I am paying my bricklayer any carpenter to get the house ready for plastering. All those remaining works like the topping of concrete and setting final block lines will be done within the weekend. Cost of final works will be N15k, very risky climbing, and some must wait till after the scaffolding is done.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by steo: 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2012
Wao, that is a lot of valuable information about plastering. At least I will have a good guildline with regards to negotiating my plastering labour cost when i get to that stage. Thanks Spyder!!

How about the material? how can this be measured? How many bags of cement and trips of plastering sand would be required for a standard 12x12 room?

@Spyder, your roofing estimate is really good (below 1 million for every thing). if you can achieve that projection, that would be real bargain.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by steo: 12:11pm On Jan 06, 2012
@Prince, your plastering cost is not that bad, considering you are building in Lagos too. I know it can always be better, at least you can now bargain better when you are doing the top work.

Thanks guys for all the valuable information!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 2:31pm On Jan 06, 2012
Learning at the advanced level . . .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by jerryben12: 2:52pm On Jan 06, 2012
Nice lectures. Good job Spyder.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by rastaman20(m): 5:02pm On Jan 06, 2012
This is what I call vital information, really school we are in. Thanks oga spyder880 and others for this Teaching. I still remain royal and always at School.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 5:31pm On Jan 06, 2012
rastaman20:

This is what I call vital information, really school we are in. Thanks oga spyder880 and others for this Teaching. I still remain royal and always at School.

I dey vex for you oh . . . but happy new year to you and your family . .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by rastaman20(m): 6:41pm On Jan 06, 2012
Oga me fehemmmy, waetin bad I come do again . I beg u in. JAH, pls sir no matter wrong I have done Sir, pls forgive me ooo. But me I never no in which way I wrong u sir. Na me suppose to vex lol, I called u on the 31 dec, u no answer and I texted u, still u no reply, Me I think African network don carry come Again, Merry Xmas and Happy New year, u and ur household. It is WEll with u in. JAH NAME. U are Already BLESSED. Any mouth that raaise against u shall be shut and any finger that piont out at u shall never use that hand to eat Again. This year is the year that u will start to reap all that u sow in JAH NAME. JAH GUIDE . I AM I
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 7:22pm On Jan 06, 2012
^^^ With all these prayer my way . . . you are super forgiven and wish you so much more my brother from the other Mother . . I never saw your calls nor text though.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 9:47pm On Jan 06, 2012
picture updates from my house, shopping for wood.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 9:50pm On Jan 06, 2012
more

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 9:56pm On Jan 06, 2012
more

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 9:58pm On Jan 06, 2012
more

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:01pm On Jan 06, 2012
left elevation

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:03pm On Jan 06, 2012
more

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:06pm On Jan 06, 2012
straight pillar

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:10pm On Jan 06, 2012
rear elevation

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 10:15pm On Jan 06, 2012
work will continue tomorrow as all the works remaining in the top of the house is being done by the carpenter and the bricklayer.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by caseymoney(m): 11:55pm On Jan 06, 2012
Spyder, it seems the Eastern States are not affected by this subsidy saga. I think other States should learn from you guys. There's lack of trust between the Government and the people. I want to continue work at my site but I had to tell my people to hold. I know people would get tired soon.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Fhemmmy: 12:38am On Jan 07, 2012
Nice and still learning
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 1:51am On Jan 07, 2012
caseymoney:

Spyder, it seems the Eastern States are not affected by this subsidy saga. I think other States should learn from you guys. There's lack of trust between the Government and the people. I want to continue work at my site but I had to tell my people to hold. I know people would get tired soon. All I know is Nigerians, from head to toe is corrupt.

We are suffering from this problem greatly, everything is soaring in price. I paid more than 15k for transporting that small load of wood.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by jerryben12: 1:57am On Jan 07, 2012
Bros Spyder, nice job. What is the name of the roofing wood? Are there different types?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by spyder880(m): 2:01am On Jan 07, 2012
jerryben12:

Bros Spyder, nice job. What is the name of the roofing wood? Are there different types?

3x4x12 = Inyi
2x4x18 = ebenebe
2x3x12 = ebenebe
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Obamedo: 9:01am On Jan 07, 2012
Dear Forum,

Tell me, do you need to treat the roofing wood frame to prevent termites?

Regards

OW
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) by Obamedo: 9:01am On Jan 07, 2012
Dear Forum,

Tell me, do you need to treat the roofing wood frame to prevent termites?

Regards

OW

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (93) (Reply)

Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.