Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,831 members, 7,882,914 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 06:26 PM

Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings (5255 Views)

Looters’ List: Court Orders Lai Mohammed, FG To Pay Secondus ₦20 Million / Governor Bala Mohammed: FG Clueless On Economic Revival / Sani Mohammed: FG Lying About Boko Haram, Terrorists Controlling Territories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by NwaNimo1(m): 11:09pm On Feb 21, 2022
‘It is worrisome’ — FG to launch campaign against ritual killings

Lai Mohammed, minister of information and culture, says the federal government will soon commence a national sensitisation campaign against ritual killings in the country.

The minister said this on Monday during a visit to the Daily Trust office in Abuja.

TheCable had reported how young people seek traditional charms, mystical powers and ritual killings in their quest to make money via social media platforms.

A recent report by the Foundation for Partnership Initiatives in the Niger Delta (PIND) notes that 150 women and girls were killed for ritual purposes between January 2018 and December 2021.

Speaking on the development, Mohammed expressed concern over the rising cases of ritual killings in the country, adding that the government needs to take urgent steps to address the situation.

“Our visit today is coming at a time of great concern across the country over the rising cases of ritual murders by unscrupulous people, most of them very young, who are seeking to get rich at all cost. We have therefore decided to use this opportunity to begin the process of raising national awareness on this scourge,” he said.

“The National Orientation Agency (NOA), an agency under our ministry, is already partnering with religious and traditional organisations as well as NGOs to forge behavioural change, especially among the youth, some of whom are afflicted by the get-rich-quick syndrome.

“In the days ahead, the federal government plans to launch a national sensitisation campaign against ritual murders. Ahead of that, however, we are calling on the media to please lend their strong voices to efforts to stamp out this growing menace.

“For those who may still be in doubt, ritual killings have assumed a worrisome dimension in recent years. The fact that some of these ritualists said they learnt the money-making tricks from some social media platforms has given a further fillip to our campaign to rid social media of unwholesome content.

“Call it social media regulation or whatever, no serious nation today will allow its social media space to be suffused with dangerous content. As we have said many times, we have no intention to stifle the media or constrict the social media space. But we will not relent in our efforts to ensure a responsible use of the social media

“Many have also blamed Nollywood for featuring money rituals in some of its movies, saying this has negatively influenced the vulnerable youth. To mitigate this, I have directed the National Film and Video Censors Board, the body set up to regulate the film and video industry in Nigeria, to take this issue into consideration while performing its role of censoring and classifying films and videos.

“I have also directed NFVCB to engage with stakeholders in the film industry in order to express the concerns of the government and Nigerians on the need to eschew money ritual content in their movies.

https://www.thecable.ng/it-has-assumed-worrisome-dimension-fg-to-launch-campaign-against-ritual-killings

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Olunmercy56(f): 11:10pm On Feb 21, 2022
grin who caused all these Daddy Lai?
Who sent them and buy from them?
You lies about your poor administration can make those poor youths loose hope.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Mooh247: 11:10pm On Feb 21, 2022
cool

National Orientation Agency is just completely dead and another means of wasting our resources with useless annual budget...

What is NOA doing about Yahoo Yahoo, drug abuse , prostitution , cultism and ritual killing or they don't know their jobs again

6 Likes

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by PointZerom: 11:15pm On Feb 21, 2022
Start with Dangote, you think we don't know why his trucks kills people almost every second?

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by chatinent: 11:17pm On Feb 21, 2022
Which ritual killing big pass hiding palliatives during the time of a pandemic so that people will die of hunger?

[img]https://c./1ZSxGYwIad4AAAAd/obama-wtf.gif[/img]

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by NwaNimo1(m): 11:17pm On Feb 21, 2022
Dead on arrival.....i'm sure they tried such rubbish before

[img]https://c./webmOTtC-woAAAAC/419-scam.gif[/img]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Iceberg3: 11:18pm On Feb 21, 2022
They should do it in that axis of mining industrialists and in their language, thank you very much grin
Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Amotolongbo(f): 11:20pm On Feb 21, 2022
“Eni ti o ba maa da aso ro ni, ti orun re la n ko wo” (you examine the garment on the one who wants to clothe you)

If ritual making truly gives wealth, why are the ritual makers (Babalawo, Alfa and Woli) not on Forbes list? This I think should be the question our youth should ask themselves before venturing into ritual to make money.

2 Likes

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by PlayerMeji: 11:20pm On Feb 21, 2022
I think the deterrence theory should be applied to ritual killers.

Deterrence theory is a theory that says when the punishment of a crime does not outweigh the crime, the crime is bound to keep happening but when the punishment of a crime outweighs the crime, it will deter people from committing such crimes.

I think if a ritual killer is found with all the evidence of the crime, the ritual killer should be killed alongside his family or have his family compound destroyed ... I know it's harsh and bizarre but trust me, it would be effect.

I know some people would ask if the killer were my kinsman would I want same to be applied to me... Before nko?

This deterrence theory even has some of references in the Bible... Remember an eye for an eye? That was one of its applications.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Tokskob2008: 12:07am On Feb 22, 2022
The government itself is one of the main reason ritual killings is on the rise this days, corruption, unemployment and bad economic policy which led to hunger is what drove some people into that nonsense.
Starting a campaign against it without first addressing the causes is just a waste of time.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by SmartPolician: 5:40am On Feb 22, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

National Orientation Agency is just completely dead and another means of wasting our resources with useless annual budget...

What is NOA doing about Yahoo Yahoo, drug abuse , prostitution , cultism and ritual killing or they don't know their jobs again

NOA is like a soldier asked to embark on a war without military hardware and training.
Those people have been crying of poor funding for decades. How do you expect an agency of government to work when they are poorly funded?

I think the public enlightenment is important.
I know they cannot completely convince many of them due to their love for material things, but young ladies should also be discouraged from dating guys whose source of income is questionable.

The spate of killings among young people is worrisome. Funnily enough, those we see are the ones that the media reported. How about those ritual killings that go unreported?

2 Likes

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by valleygirl: 7:10am On Feb 22, 2022
I think some Nigerians are already campaigning against the ritual killings in Nigeria.
This is really getting out of hands. May the Lord continue to help this nation.

I don't know if this is allowed here but let me share the group link on Facebook.

https://www./2996462500603182/?ref=share

https://www./2996462500603182/?ref=share
Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Mko123(m): 7:10am On Feb 22, 2022
Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by paulolee(m): 7:10am On Feb 22, 2022
like say dier hands clean...
politicians patronize ritualism more than yahoo boys na

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by BeardedmeatR(m): 7:11am On Feb 22, 2022
They better do pls. Any Afonja that opposes the campaign should become suya.

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by lampard8888: 7:11am On Feb 22, 2022
Dammn niggarr..
Monsuru & co will not like this..

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Artbydris(m): 7:11am On Feb 22, 2022
Good
Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by b0rn2fuck(m): 7:11am On Feb 22, 2022
They should all come and be protesting in ogun state. If Ogun can be conquer,the rest state is history

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Sultty(m): 7:12am On Feb 22, 2022
it's laughable. When ur term is about to end that's when u want to start what exactly

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by wisdom042(m): 7:12am On Feb 22, 2022
This men are ready to cash out on this I strongly condemn ritual killings but then it should start with the politicians cos most of them are also into rituals
Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:12am On Feb 22, 2022
Ok
Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by rocknation62(m): 7:12am On Feb 22, 2022
What comes to your mind when you see this cap?

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by JuanDeDios: 7:14am On Feb 22, 2022
Will they have the political will to parley/tackle Yoruba obas over Oro and similar cults?

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Promismike(m): 7:14am On Feb 22, 2022
Anumanu has spoken

2 Likes

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by adecz: 7:17am On Feb 22, 2022
undecided

But Fulani killings, kidnapping
of innocent children and citizens
& UGM activities can go on abi❓
Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Joseph08(m): 7:17am On Feb 22, 2022
Anything from Lai Mohammed is a Lie.

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Triangles1(m): 7:17am On Feb 22, 2022
Wait for what, another way of embezzling.

All this killing to get money just to impress woman.

1 Like

Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Enemyofpeace: 7:19am On Feb 22, 2022
Is that all you have to offer on the issue?
Re: Lai Mohammed: FG To Launch Campaign Against Ritual Killings by Enemyofpeace: 7:20am On Feb 22, 2022
rocknation62:
What comes to your mind when you see this cap?
lies!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria And The 2022 Misery Index / Earlier Today In Warri At Inec Office. The Revolution Is Getting Nearer / Why Politics Is A Dirty Game?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.