Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,078 members, 7,880,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 04:56 PM

As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? (10928 Views)

Cheeky Shortcuts We Take As Parents To Make Life Easier. / Pls Advice Me, My Parents Do Not Approve My Proposed Marriage Plans. / Funny Things Parents' Do That Makes You Chuckle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:26pm On Jun 27, 2011
With regards to tuition, there’s nothing wrong in sending your kids to a $10k per year school

If you know of a school this cheap, lemme know.  cheesy

With that said I agree with just about everything.

when I see people buying luxury cars for that 16 year old and they're still filling it with gas for THEM to use, I crack up
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by obowunmi(m): 10:29pm On Jun 27, 2011
No such thing as hard work in Nigeria. Its all about who you know. If you work hard and know no one, then you are only wasting your time.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Joe5(m): 10:34pm On Jun 27, 2011
let me point out our mistakes in the replies so far made for and against the issue raised by the poster 1 some of us committed falacy of generalisation 2 some of us tried creating an equivalent in terms of money to virtue 3 some personalized the issue making us attacking and defencive in our contributions. 4 we made little or no attempt to profer solutions to the problem 5 some of us were illogical in our arguements 6 some of us made conclussions without premises
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nija4Life(m): 11:17pm On Jun 27, 2011
I understand where the poster is coming from, good post I have to say. Even though we cannot generalise and compare like for like with life in the west but surely we are a people used to be known for our hardwork and commitment. However, years of looting the treasury, 419, yahoo yahoo and all sorts of ways for quick money has destroyed our value system. The trouble is that we seem to be in denial of the problem we face when we have an army of young people without any skills set to boast of other than dubious 'degrees' that stands for nothing.

Our society can only change when hardwork starts to pay once again.

Family values needs to be some how restored and we need to stop judging people by how many cars they own or plots of land or houses they have built.

More importantly we need to restore our glorious past educational system where discipline was high, quality of teaching and learning was good and children were well groomed in the art of leadership.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by mamagee3(f): 11:40pm On Jun 27, 2011
obowunmi:

No such thing as hard work in Nigeria. Its all about who you know. If you work hard and know no one, then you are only wasting your time.
Oh well! I think so myself!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by ojdollars(m): 11:41pm On Jun 27, 2011
@POSTER, Thank you very much, this is very informative, I would pass it on too kids around and family folks too. Thanks once again.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 11:47pm On Jun 27, 2011
Whilst some Nigerian kids are struggling to survive and pay school fees as some forumites who have shared their story, the arseholes that caused the misery (like IBB) horses enjoy a better life.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Polo/5722828-146/nigeria_departs_malaysia_with_a_roar.csp

[size=18pt]Nigeria departs Malaysia with a roar [/size]

Still smarting from not qualifying for the World Cup, Nigeria’s polo national team left Kuala Lumpur to Lagos on a high after showcasing Nigeria’s rich polo heritage at the world stage in the just concluded Federation of International Polo (FIP) organised Zone D World Cup play offs.

The Nigerian contingent led by the life chairman of the Nigerian Polo Federation (NPF), Abdulmumuni Kabir, arrived Kuala Lumpur before connecting a local flight to Kuantan, venue of the group stages of the qualifier June 10 and left the Asian nation on June 26 aboard an Emirates Airlines flight to Lagos.

Before their departure, the Nigerian team were treated to a fabulous farewell dinner hosted at the Royal Selangor Polo Club by the president of the Royal Malaysian Polo Association, Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah, who had earlier hosted all the participating countries to a sumptuous dinner in his palace at Kuantan last Tuesday.

“I am delighted we hosted the FIP World Cup Zone D qualifier, which is the first for us although Malaysia has a proud record of hosting equine events. We are particularly happy that Nigeria which has strong ties with Malaysia made it to this playoff, and we are looking to having them play again in Malaysia,” the crown prince declared.

NPF president, Francis Ogboro in his response thanked the Royal Malaysian Polo Association and His Highness for the hospitality and hosting what he described as one of the most contested World Cup playoffs in recent times.

“You guys have done a huge job, working tirelessly to providing excellent quality of ponies and taking good care of the delegations from the seven participating countries and FIP officials on and off the field. Once again let me on behalf of the Nigerian Polo Federation express our warmest congratulations,” Ogboro stated.

Ogboro, who led Nigeria’s return to the World Cup stage, described the trip to Malaysia as the returning point in his quest to restore the past glories of the noble game of kings in Nigeria.

“We came to Malaysia as outsiders, with virtually no record of Nigeria’s participation in the World Cup stage. But we made good use of our low rating by showcasing the rich culture of Nigerian polo to the international polo family that was pleasantly surprised by our flare and huge potentials in the game,” an elated NPF boss declared.

Captain of the Nigerian team, Mohammed Babangida thanked the NPF for giving the players the opportunity to be part of the world polo family, and added that it will build on the exposure garnered in Malaysia.

“I would like to thank the NPF and our coach, Dawule Baba for this great opportunity given to us to participate in the zonal qualifiers. It is indeed a great honour and privilege for all of us to have been part of this historic event,” Babangida stated.

“As a team we promise to always put in our very best in our commitment to seeing Nigerian polo repositioned on the international circuit,” the EL-Amin polo patron who recently bagged the Polo Patron of the Decade award added.

The mooronic arseholes called MEND or even Boko Haram can not target these mofos and finish them off, they will be killing ordinary Nigerians.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Kunbee: 11:48pm On Jun 27, 2011
Everything should be done in moderation

If you wan send your child to schl wey be say na AC dey inside dorm, na ur family business
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jun 27, 2011
Sagamite:

Whilst some Nigerian kids are struggling to survive and pay school fees as some forumites who have shared their story, the arseholes that caused the misery (like IBB) horses enjoy a better life.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Polo/5722828-146/nigeria_departs_malaysia_with_a_roar.csp

The mooronic arseholes called MEND or even Boko Haram can not target these mofos and finish them off, they will be killing ordinary Nigerians.

grin grin grin grin grin. Omo see vex o
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 28, 2011
you people are funny sha,
the thread reeks of self patronising BS!
life comes at everyone in different ways, if you have not lived through the suffocating and debilitating quagmire that is the lot of the lower class jobhunting in Nigeria, then you absolutely have no idea the way the cookie crumbles,
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Ndipe(m): 1:13am On Jun 28, 2011
Rich pamper their children in America also, or have you not heard of folks like Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, P Diddy (who bought an expensive car for one of his sons) and the like of them who paint the town red with ostentatious parties for their wards? You see some of these rich folks establishing trust funds for their kids and the kids hopping from one party to another party in town. Would you say people like Nicole Richie or Paris Hilton have ever held a job working for their fathers? I dont know about that one. They are many of them, just as they are who instil good work ethics in their children, so dont overgeneralize. Some of the Nigerian parents who spoil their kids are perhaps the ones who had it easy in life and are not interested in subjecting their kids to hardship. Personally, if I had a lot of money, while I would let them work hard, at the same time, I would splurge on them too.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by aikuda(m): 1:28am On Jun 28, 2011
@milehigh06
did you read really read my comment or you are just looking for a way to tell us your life history. Here is what i said:

Infact many people will argue that it is sometimes the children of the poor that usually sit and wait for manners to fall from heaven. Many are waiting for that one big break through without thinking of the little things they can do to help themselves. And when they do get big breaks they cannot handle it because they are not ready.

Having said that there are millions and millions of nigerians youths both from rich and poor background that have worked really hard to succeed in life irrespective of their parent status.

How does this statement mead children of the poor are loafer? Lord have mercy!

I was only trying to provide counter to the suggestion that all rich parent pamper their children by noting what others are also saying about some children from poor background. Maybe I was not clear (apologize): I was just trying to counter overgeneralize that all rich people pamper their children.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by lastpage: 2:48am On Jun 28, 2011
My parents once used cane to chase me off a "construction site" where l was doing" gburu" (on'fa Gburu, as we say in those days!).
The pay was #5 for a full days job! I had just finished secondary school and was "awaiting result".

They felt it was an embarrassment to them to hear that l was "working" in a site! Working for what? grin grin
Pupsy worked with the British Council in those days and Mum was also doing a well paid job.
Infact, money was not the motivation, l was just a rascal in those days! grin

Me and my friends just felt we gotta "do something" with our energy and off we went to the construction site!

Ask me what we did with the money: (l sneaked-off after they went to work! grin ) We bought Sleep-ons shoes, Leather pants (trousers) and Jackets, we even dressed like Rafael Cameron! (one Musician like that, most peeps here wont remember him, too old to remember! wink.

The joy of it was that it was not "Parents money" that bought those things! THIS IS MY OWN SWEAT! It was "Pure Heaven" (Non alcoholic!) grin wink

I think things have changed sha.,.,., for the worse of course!

Young "men" work now (and its an offense, Child labor!) out of necessity! To subvent the household income.

Nigeria is a different ball game entirely.
Which 25yrs old will "mortgage' a whole house in Nigeria today? grin Abi im dey do Yahoozee? shocked

Values have changed also!

"Fortunate children" nowadays see it as "my right" to have the good things of life from parents! (That gets me mad at times when my kids act as if l owe them every game pad or sports bike in the shop!) and the society makes us "agree" with them otherwise, some effing "Social Worker" would shout "Child abuse"! grin

Our educational system is in such shambles you wonder what the guys really learn at school (Strikes everytime, empty Labs, hunger, extrotion by under-paid Tutors, e.t.c) but most survive by dint of determination.
Just bring those "Oynbo children" down here to experience what "Students go through" and l swear they will become something else, in a jiffy! shocked

Every parent owes it a duty to give their children "complete education", not just academic education.
Teach your kids about entrepreneurship, the mentality of making money out of nothing, not education for employment!

Stop building all those mansions for them to inherit (we all do it! grin), suffering yourself for nothing!
But what should we do when Govt cant provide jobs nor "a conducive environment for self-employment", for 20Million School Leavers?

In my own time, you could be rest assured that Lever Brothers, P.Z., Bhonsons, Berec, e.t.c are waiting for you with a "Brand New Car and good Pay" if you're amongst the best three in your department at graduation but these days, l see and hear that even the First-Class Students struggle a lot to get a job while their "Ordinary pass" colleagues are "arraigned" by their parents, into choice positions!
See, nothing is the same again and "only the strong can survive".

Its a shyte hole, walahi! wink

The article makes a "good reflection" though, it has this "simplistic approach" and "over generalizations" to Nigeria's absurd "operating environment" and chronic problems!
For example, in U.K or E.U, at 18yrs, you dont need your parents to "survive" at all! Government pays you "Social allowances and pays for your rent" if you choose not to go to school but if you choose to advance your education, you still get "weekly back-to-school allowances" and Bursary!

Who pays our Under-graduates to study in Nigeria?
How about all those boys who could not further their education because "Daddy the bread winner" got shot by Police stray bullets?
shocked wink

See "why" the two cant think or behave alike, when they reach 25yrs of age?

Shameful and very unfair, to even think some of these countries have no "Free crude Oil" to export, unlike us!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nekai(f): 2:57am On Jun 28, 2011
lastpage:

Every parent owes it a duty to give their children "complete education", not just academic education.
Teach your kids about entrepreneurship, the mentality of making money out of nothing, not education for employment!

Agreed!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 3:25am On Jun 28, 2011
I'ma give ma future two kids the life I never had!!!

Mehn screw that discipline crap!!! I want my boy to have his room's theme like his favourite cartoon!!

My girl ain't gotta be barbie but damn she gon be properly pampered!!!!

Money won't suprise em, They gon get bored with classy things and eventually shop at the dollar store!! Screw that, they can volunteer at flower gardens and community works but bleep having my kids work for money!!

Their work will be in line with their natural hobby!! I ain't hitting my kids for failing classes, instead, I'll study with them till they are bored with it and we'll go have a nice gaming time

I'ma spoil ma kids with all they have while also letting them know life ain't easy the easy way!!! My kids ain't never gone work 9-5  hell no!!!

Ffuck all you rich dead beat parents with silly vibes on how to raise kids!!!

I'ma teach ma kids to love who they are and love others for who they are too

I'ma teach them class is an illusion and we are all born same way and we all gone die!!

I'ma leave them with a legacy of love in their hearts

I'ma make sure my kids ain't no one's slave and don't look up to no one but me! They will be my inspiration to be a better man and father

I'ma make sure I act stupidly sometimes to see if they are suckers; if they are, I'ma make sure they shouldn't be scared to voice out what's in their heart

I'ma never hit my kids no matter what they love we'll share will be enough to make them do the right thing!!!

I will believe in them even if it costs me my life!!!

They are not my legacy because they are my kids, I will be their legacy because they will be my inspiration!!!

i'ma be super rich before ma kids step into this world! The will to share will always be in their heart because we'll share same genes!!!

THEY WON'T LOOK UP TO NO ONE INSTEAD THEY WILL STRIVE TO BE THEMSELVES IN ALL SITUATION!!!!

I'ma teach em not to strive to be leaders but to walk side by side with others in the right direction!!!!!!!

Mehn I won't raise my kids like any of these rich dead beats out there!!! PHUCK THAT!! My kids will enjoy their lifes as kids and as adults, I'll watch em be free to make decisions on their own and make mistake/learn from it!!!! If my girl's hooby is gathering bugs, so be it I'll let her be all she can and support her too!!!!

I just hope I don't marry an uptight biacth!!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 28, 2011
0lumide:

I'ma give ma future two kids the life I never had!!!

Mehn screw that discipline crap!!! I want my boy to have his room's theme like his favourite cartoon!!

My girl ain't gotta be barbie but damn she gon be properly pampered!!!!

Money won't suprise em, They gon get bored with c[b]lassy things [/b]and eventually shop at the dollar store!! Screw that, they can volunteer at flower gardens and community works but bleep having my kids work for money!!

Their work will be in line with their natural hobby!! I ain't hitting my kids for failing classes, instead, I'll study with them till they are bored with it and we'll go have a nice gaming time

I'ma spoil ma kids with all they have while also letting them know life ain't easy the easy way!!! My kids ain't never gone work 9-5  hell n[/b]o!!!

[b]Ffuck all you rich dead beat parents [/b]with silly vibes on how to raise kids!!!

I'ma teach ma kids to love who they are and love others for who they are too

I'ma teach them class is an illusion and we are all born same way and we all gone die!!

I'ma leave them with a legacy of love in their hearts

I'ma make sure my kids ain't no one's slave and [b]don't look up to no one but me
! They will be my inspiration to be a better man and father

I'ma make sure I act stupidly sometimes to see if they are suckers; if they are, I'ma make sure they shouldn't be scared to voice out what's in their heart

I'ma never hit my kids no matter what they love [/b]we'll share will be enough to make them do the right thing!!!

I will believe in them even if it costs me my life!!!

They are not my legacy because they are my kids, I will be their legacy because they will be my inspiration!!!

i'ma be super rich before ma kids step into this world! The will to share will always be in their heart because we'll share same genes!!!

THEY WON'T LOOK UP TO NO ONE INSTEAD THEY WILL STRIVE TO BE THEMSELVES IN ALL SITUATION!!!!

I'ma teach em not to strive to be leaders but to walk side by side with others in the right direction!!!!!!!

Mehn I won't raise my kids like any of these rich dead beats out there!!! [b]PHUCK THAT
!! My kids will enjoy their lifes as kids and as adults, I'll watch em be free to make decisions on their own and make mistake/learn from it!!!! If my girl's hooby is gathering bugs, so be it I'll let her be all she can and support her too!!!!

I just hope I don't marry an uptight biacth!!
u sounded like an , who escaped frm ebutte metta bridge, and mistakenly gets on the comp
if you raise a black kid these way, he is gonna kill you before u knw it
studies have shown black ppl are not contended fool
your an oponnu , KEYWORD
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 5:50am On Jun 28, 2011
Donlittle:

u sounded like an , who escaped frm ebutte metta bridge, and mistakenly gets on the comp
if you race a black kid these way, he is gonna kill you before u knw it
your an , KEYWORD
Atleast learn to put words together before advicing people on how to raise kids

Mehn phuck studies base on illogiocal truth!!

PHUCK PHUCK PHUCK, phuck!!! Is that the word that makes me from ebutew meta? phuck phuck phuck!!! you were born cause som1 got phucked!!!

Which research said phuck hurts anyone?

Don't advice me on how i raise my kids if you can't put words together sir!!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by IbegbuPI: 7:05am On Jun 28, 2011
Some responses above simply trivialized the depth of message behind the post. The poster did not say you should give your kids bread crust to prove you ain't pampering. There is marked difference between caring, pampering & spoiling.

The society is modelled by it's government. Yet the society forms the government. Yes, there is no perfect society but Nigeria is far behind average.

Our problems are triple-faceted.
1. Nepotism garnished by lack of social contract: Eg. if you are made Board Chairman, can you afford to leave your unemployed brother out on a job he failed the interview though he is well certified to do it. Can you afford to hope on pension when those before you are slumping on queues while waiting for stipends.

2. Culture of exalted VANITY. The average Nigerian likes being noticed. A culture of party. Some borrow to throw a bash at marriage only to retire into penury thereafter. Some buy car worth N3m though the salary is N75K yet live in rented apartment. Just to announce his arrival. Everybody is in a haste to make this announcement that almost every Nigerian pursues desire than need. That is why a Nigerian pastor will buy a jet while his flock admires from their slum, hoping to announce their jeep sooner. Steal & announce, but don't get cought.

3. Sense of authority & lawlessness. The Nigerian is always in control. It is the weak that goes to prison. The Nigerian is a bribery merchant. He sends emissory to the police in the bedroom & runs to the village square and shouts: "stone the police because he has taken bribe". He feels fulfilled that he jumped queue & got his car tank filled before his NEIGHBOUR. The joy is not the tank filled but his neighbour that noticed him as superior being. Where the chase to fortune fails in expected time, the Nigerian turns to juju, to expo, election rigging, child trafficking etc just to announce something. African Magic. These days self appointed pastors in chase for authority & wealth dine with demons as to contrive healing.

The reality of the foregoing traverse the family. Not all, but majority of Nigerians square into the classification. In a bid to make the said announcement some Nigerian mother will buy result for her kid, the Nigerian father will sell his house to keep his child away from prison no matter the crime. Remember, Chief BANKOLE was not interested in the sons offenses, but that he should be released. It is a culture. In our larger society the Hausa man sees nothing wrong with a northerner looting the treasury but sees everything wrong with the Igbo man looting the treasury. Imprison him OPC, BOKO whatever etc comes fighting.

Nigeria is a contraption. The nigerian is different from his American / European counterpart. If he goes to UK, he joins the queue. If he is in Abuja he jumps queue. Arrest him, he bribes up to the PRESIDENCY to pull the policeman's uniform.

Why do cultism thrive. Mosque cultism. Church cultism. Students' cultism. In some re-tone of unionism, every union pursues lawlessness to protect its members. If the Nigerian president has to be upright, how about the members of his cult who made him president. Will he stop them from drug peddling. If the Nigerian man fails to give his son or daughter job when he is in position, who will feed him at old age when he no longer works. If a governor fails to traffic funds & build manson oversea, how will his ego be massaged many years after office. It is society failure. Whenever we stop extolling ill gotten wealth, Nigeria will start getting healed.

MAYBE Until the OIL finishes or a radical tinkering of our constitution denouncing ethnicity for citizenship is done, our society will continue to compare itself blindly with western societies.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by chocobunny(f): 7:50am On Jun 28, 2011
Lots of beautiful opinions here. First let me say, some of these posters are ill informed. The likes of Paris Hilton are the super mega filthy rich, and they should not be compared to anyone while constructing an argument. But, if you must compare, Even with the amount of wealth these people have, when their children are untrained idiots, the world knows it and these children will not be respected or hired into serious positions, such as the senate, congress, or a presidency. They will not be allowed to run companies into the ground. They GO TO JAIL for their wrongdoings. It is not so with Nigeria.

That being said, there are two common practices in the u.s. when it comes to university. Either you take out the loans to pay for your childs education or use your own money OR the child pays their own way by getting scholarships or taking out their own loans. While receiving scholarships are an honor in the u.s., i have found that my overly wealthy naija born and raised counterparts look down on this. It would appear that nigerians just like to flaunt wealth, and therefore do things solely to make a statement (such as sending their children to FREE PUBLIC high school with hummers and drivers). This is not a practice common in the u.s, quite frankly, i think nigerians in the u.s. makes specticles of themselves engaging in such absurd extravagances. Until the common nigerian starts LOOKING DOWN on these practices instead of hoping they can one day do the same, rich nigerians will continue to engage in this wasteful behavior.

I do not think the posters point was that our children should suffer, the point is that wealthy nigerians are hurting their children by not allowing them to achieve their own success through hard work. Flying on economy IS NOT suffering. There are people in the u.s. that have never even been on a plane! Spending an addition 1000 u.s. so your child can eat a lobster dinner on a flight is ridiculous. Once youve bought them a plane ticket, they should be grateful! While not all rich nigerian parents are guilty of letting their children have overly lavish lifestyles, quite a number of them are. im going to take a wild guess and say that the parents who allow their children to be spendthrifts are the ones who stole their wealth from nigeria. It is only when you have worked hard for your money and understand the value of a dollar that you will not allow anyone, even your children, to waste the fruits of your labor.

As for the difficulties of living in nigeria, i understand that well. Yes, i understand why you would want to find your child a job or why you would want to send them abroad for schooling. The issue is not that you are giving your child the basics that at times it is difficult to obtain in nigeria, the issue is when it turns to excess!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by chocobunny(f): 8:51am On Jun 28, 2011
Sagamite:

Nigeria is not a merit place. These kids that went to posh schools and who usually end up in average UK schools can not compete in the UK but end up on top in Naija because of leg, not because they are the best Nigerians.

So that posh education has not given them the academic advantage you allude to. Otherwise most will end up in the top UK unis and top jobs in UK.

This is not a good way to determine if the schools gave them academic advantage. Why do people always assume that people who returned to nigeria are there because they couldnt get a top job abroad? Has it ever occured to any of you that the reason why people return to nigeria is because they want to help build the country and keep their talents and money within their nation? This is why nigeria has stalled in progress, this very thinking you have mentioned here. We shouldnt be measuring success by staying abroad.

You make sense in many of your arguments but i was just bothered by this point because so many nigerians have the same mentality. Lets stop shipping our talents overseas!
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Hedgefund: 9:10am On Jun 28, 2011
It's very apparent that some on this forum have no clue regarding prep schools such as Eton, Phillips Exeter, Andover, etc. It's understandable for some that are not privileged enough to afford these types of education will try to diminish its value or worth - please don't, hate the system that killed schools such as KC, Federal Government Colleges, Oduduwa College, Eko Boys etc. These were supposed to be Nigeria's Eton, Exeter, but our low thinking leaders screwed up

There are two ways that you can get into prep schools such Exeter, Andover, Choate (all in the U.S). One is to be a legacy (your parents or someone in your family went to the school) or you have a superb intellect. These schools, I will use Phillips Exeter as an example, provides education that is much better than most universities in Africa, so how can you compete? Exeter is one of the most rigourous places that one can send their kids. You cannot slck. Students have daily homework for 6+ hours everyday, about 1 hour of sports. By the time these kids graduate, they have a well developed intellect and a strong body to meet the challenges of life.

It's funny when a lot of African kids go to the U.S, especially the ones fortunate to be admitted to the Ivy Leagues. You often wonder how these always binging kids are able to study and do so well in school and you somehow lag behind despite your 8+ hours of studying, well your foundational education was lacking. I must say though that with hard work and discipline, a lot of bright Africans are able to compete favorably.

Why do you thinks folks such as Bill Gates was able to drop out of Harvard? he had a great prep school education and Harvard wasn't adding much.

My advice to Nigerians parents. Please do not conserve a penny on your kids secondary school. A kid's development in Secondary school has a huge bearing on their quality of life. They can go to one of the cheap state schools afterwards (as long as they maintain a high grade point average), but a kid who attends a mediocre secondary school will definitely struggle.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Hedgefund: 9:21am On Jun 28, 2011
Sagamite:

It is obvious that you are a hater. One of those Nigerians that resent the fact that some other Nigerians were able to attend schools abroad. Some of us that went to school abroad were educated from the top universities and worked and were successful at the top firms in the US and UK, but home is home. How can you live in a foreign land investing all your sweat equity in another man's land? does this make any sense to you? No. it doesn't and that is the reason why some of us decide to relocate to Nigeria even though we are giving up the comfort of the West and confronting the HATE of folks like Sagamite who are quick to pour his resentful venom on us

Breathe in and breathe out. I paid my way through college and my Papa was never in politics or worked for any government parastatals so no be ya money I use. OKEY DOKEY
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by SEFAGO(m): 9:44am On Jun 28, 2011
Nice name, Hedge Fund, do you manage one?

There are two ways that you can get into prep schools such Exeter, Andover, Choate (all in the U.S). One is to be a legacy (your parents or someone in your family went to the school) or you have a superb intellect. These schools, I will use Phillips Exeter as an example, provides education that is much better than most universities in Africa, so how can you compete? Exeter is one of the most rigourous places that one can send their kids. You cannot slck. Students have daily homework for 6+ hours everyday, about 1 hour of sports. By the time these kids graduate, they have a well developed intellect and a strong body to meet the challenges of life.

I agree on this. The kids I know from Exeter/Andover/Choate/ St Pauls fall into two categories re/tar/ds and geniuses. However, the Nigerians who go to these schools (most whose fathers are politicians) tend to fall in the slowpoke category way more than the oyinbo people. Thats because they did not work for it  undecided

just sayin.

But its good to be rich, I swear money sweet if you did not work for it and your parents just give it to you

PS: I think the discussion is about rich people spoiling their kids. And since I hate rich Nigerians too, no shaking cool grin
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by shilling(f): 10:15am On Jun 28, 2011
@Hedgefund: Spot on!

chocobunny:

Lots of beautiful opinions here. First let me say, some of these posters are ill informed. The likes of[b] Paris Hilton and Kate Middleton [/b]are the super mega filthy rich, and they should not be compared to anyone while constructing an argument. But, if you must compare, Even with the amount of wealth these people have, when their children are untrained idiots, the world knows it and these children will not be respected or hired into serious positions, such as the senate, congress, or a presidency. They will not be allowed to run companies into the ground. They GO TO JAIL for their wrongdoings. It is not so with Nigeria.

That being said, there are two common practices in the u.s. when it comes to university. Either you take out the loans to pay for your childs education or use your own money OR the child pays their own way by getting scholarships or taking out their own loans. While receiving scholarships are an honor in the u.s., i have found that my overly wealthy naija born and raised counterparts look down on this. It would appear that nigerians just like to flaunt wealth, and therefore do things solely to make a statement (such as sending their children to FREE PUBLIC school with hummers and drivers). This is not a practice common in the u.s, quite frankly, i think nigerians in the u.s. makes specticles of themselves engaging in such absurd extravagances. Until the common nigerian starts LOOKING DOWN on these practices instead of hoping they can one day do the same, rich nigerians will continue to engage in this wasteful behavior.

I do not think the posters point was that our children should suffer, the point is that wealthy nigerians are hurting their children by not allowing them to achieve their own success through hard work. Flying on economy IS NOT suffering. There are people in the u.s. that have never even been on a plane! Spending an addition 1000 u.s. so your child can eat a lobster dinner on a flight is ridiculous. Once youve bought them a plane ticket, they should be grateful! While not all rich nigerian parents are guilty of letting their children have overly lavish lifestyles, quite a number of them are. im going to take a wild guess and say that the parents who allow their children to be spendthrifts are the ones who stole their wealth from nigeria. It is only when you have worked hard for your money and understand the value of a dollar that you will not allow anyone, even your children, to waste the fruits of your labor.

As for the difficulties of living in nigeria, i understand that well. Yes, i understand why you would want to find your child a job or why you would want to send them abroad for schooling. The issue is not that you are giving your child the basics that at times it is difficult to obtain in nigeria, the issue is when it turns to excess!
I find it ridiculous that you would compare the likes of Kate Middleton and Paris Hilton. Paris Hilton is an heiress (dad inherited the Hilton fortune), quite different from Kate who's parents are wealthy, not as rich as the Hilton's but made their money over the years through hard work. Kate obviously wasn't as hard working, but did have some jobs over the years.

In reference to free public education, just to clarify - do you mean high school in the States or Nigeria? Cos there certainly isn't free public college education anywhere else.

@OP:
Your post was spot on! The whole entitlement thing is a bore, and it's not just in Nigeria, this is also seen all over the world.  

About Kate's car, last I checked her Audi car is courtesy the Royal family.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 11:01am On Jun 28, 2011
chocobunny:

This is not a good way to determine if the schools gave them academic advantage. Why do people always assume that people who returned to nigeria are there because they couldnt get a top job abroad? Has it ever occured to any of you that the reason why people return to nigeria is because they want to help build the country and keep their talents and money within their nation? This is why nigeria has stalled in progress, this very thinking you have mentioned here. We shouldnt be measuring success by staying abroad.

You make sense in many of your arguments but i was just bothered by this point because so many nigerians have the same mentality. Lets stop shipping our talents overseas!

Sweetie, go and read my post again.

I didn't say they went back to Nigeria because they could not get a top job abroad. I said they often can not get top jobs abroad and went back to Nigeria because they can get the best jobs.

Those 2 statements are fundamentally different. One is a cause and effect, the second is an assertion followed by a different and independent cause and effect.

Someone can still stay abroad even without top jobs, but if you think your future is better off somewhere, logic will mean you will head there if you can but not compulsory you do.

A lot of Nigerians that attended the average unis (just like the ones the rich kids attended) who will also love to go back and help build the country but with the way the society is structured which means it does not most times respect merit, does not encourage best practice and if the person is not paid enough might live in a not so decent and secure environment, they stay back in the West.

Being able to compete with the best in places where you see the best is a good measure of any activity. You for don see that Van Damme film na, Best of the Best?
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 11:03am On Jun 28, 2011
Donlittle:

if you raise a black kid these way, he is gonna kill you before u knw it
your an oponnu , KEYWORD

The guy is an effeminate poofter, don't mind "her".
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Sagamite(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2011
Hedgefund:

It's very apparent that some on this forum have no clue regarding prep schools such as Eton, Phillips Exeter, Andover, etc. It's understandable for some that are not privileged enough to afford these types of education will try to diminish its value or worth - please don't, hate the system that killed schools such as KC, Federal Government Colleges, Oduduwa College, Eko Boys etc. These were supposed to be Nigeria's Eton, Exeter, but our low thinking leaders screwed up

It's funny when a lot of African kids go to the U.S, especially the ones fortunate to be admitted to the Ivy Leagues. You often wonder how these always binging kids are able to study and do so well in school and you somehow lag behind despite your 8+ hours of studying, well your foundational education was lacking. I must say though that with hard work and discipline, a lot of bright Africans are able to compete favorably.

Why do you thinks folks such as Bill Gates was able to drop out of Harvard? he had a great prep school education and Harvard wasn't adding much.

My advice to Nigerians parents. Please do not conserve a penny on your kids secondary school. A kid's development in Secondary school has a huge bearing on their quality of life. They can go to one of the cheap state schools afterwards (as long as they maintain a high grade point average), but a kid who attends a mediocre secondary school will definitely struggle.

You said so much without saying anything relevant.

No one is discussion Western posh schools, we are discussing Nigerian posh schools that over-charge.

Except you are daftly saying  Eton, Phillips Exeter, Andover are based in Nigeria, shut up.

Hedgefund:

Sagamite:

It is obvious that you are a hater. One of those Nigerians that resent the fact that some other Nigerians were able to attend schools abroad. Some of us that went to school abroad were educated from the top universities and worked and were successful at the top firms in the US and UK, but home is home. How can you live in a foreign land investing all your sweat equity in another man's land? does this make any sense to you? No. it doesn't and that is the reason why some of us decide to relocate to Nigeria even though we are giving up the comfort of the West and confronting the HATE of folks like Sagamite who are quick to pour his resentful venom on us

Breathe in and breathe out. I paid my way through college and my Papa was never in politics or worked for any government parastatals so no be ya money I use. OKEY DOKEY

You are a cretin!

As I said earlier, we are discussing over-paying schools in Nigeria.

And if hating moorons that ruin my country is what you term as hating, fck lawd, I want to be the biggest and most famous hater that ever lived.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 28, 2011
^^^You too talk cheesy cheesy

@Topic

My kids are not going to work their behinds off to support themselves whilst in school.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by shilling(f): 1:30pm On Jun 28, 2011
jennykadry:

^^^You too talk cheesy cheesy

@Topic

My kids are not going to work their behinds off to support themselves whilst in school.

I can understand that, and find it ridiculous to think a parent would expect a child to pay for college. Tuition alone is thousands of dollars. On the other hand, kids don't have to depend on their parents for everything. First year of college at 17, lived with my parents and got pocket money. After moving into the dorms at 18, I've been partially independent ever since. I support my fast food and shopping habit by working part-time while in school and full-time (2-3 jobs) over the summer so I have enough change to support my "habit" and have a savings while I'm in school. Works out nicely . . .
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 28, 2011
^^ I also get your point but I believe in taking care of my child until that person can stand on his or her feet. The mistake most parents make is think that the earlier kids start fending for themselves the more independent they get over time, not true, a child that wants to make a life out of LIFE will with or without drama. My kids are not going to be subjected to that trash. I know of parents that fended for their kids until they got a job after uni and supported them for a few more months to get them on their feet. A child that wants to be useless will be useless. My parents (God bless them) fended for me until I left their house and I mean pay all my bills but at the same time they were extremely strict and I mean super strict. They set their standards and made sure we kids respected that.

And yea I do respect parents that allow their kids fend for themselves but it is just not my thing.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by aikuda(m): 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2011
The thing that i like about this topic is the emotion it stirs in almost all of us. I am sure its because the majority of us whether from rich or poor background have stories to tell about how we struggled to get to where we are now. Thats a good thing. Only very few Nigerians didnt have to work hard one way or the other to get to successful life. Because of that some have vowed to give their children everything so that they don't have to go through what they went through. While other have decided that what they went through is part of what make their personality and success, therefore their children will need to get the chance to work as well irresepective of their current financial status. I cannot fault any of these philosophy because children are not robots, they are human beings, and they respond to different things in their environment. Some children are pampered and they become wayward, while others are pampered and they become greatful.

There is no single rule to raise children it has to be on case by case basis. MY PONIT IS that while moderation in everything you do is the key, you also have to remember the approach you used in raising Mikel Obi might not work with Osaze Odemwiingie-lol. Parent have to understand the needs of their children. It is good to draw from your experience as a parent but you have to understand that  this is the child's life and things are different from your days. Do what is the best for the child and not for you!

I agree that #800,000 Nusery school in nigeria maybe on the verge of waste (i may be wrong because i am not sure of all the component of services provided for the fee - i doubt is for teaching ABC-LOL). However, I can spend any amount of money for my children for secondary and tertiary institution because that is where they can get the important network that will help them in life. Its not about what you know, it also about who you know.

As an aside, Even in the rural areas of western world, children help their parents in farms or stuff like that. its only in the city you hear all this talk about child abuse.
Re: As Parents, Do We Buy Into This? by Hedgefund: 2:08pm On Jun 28, 2011
Sagamite:

No need to engage you in a war of words. You are a hater and I can see the slime trailing your filthy words. Go to the Sahara desert, take your head, stick it up your axx and find a corner to place yourself

Some returnees are made to serve in the National corps @20,000 naira per month for a year, some are placed in middle mgmt, some are frustrated out by haters such as yourself, most become entrepreneurs and a few land the top jobs. The top jobs in Nigeria are filled with Nigerians who got their first degree in Nigeria - Banks (GTB, First Bank, Access Bank, ETB, Oceanic and Zenith are a few examples)

Sagamite said: Nigeria is not a Merit place (or you mean hiring in Nigeria is not based on merit?) and you think this nepotism favors kids that went to posh schools over kids that did not? How many of your corrupt politicians went to Posh schools? how many of the top bankers or industrialist in Nigeria went to posh schools? answer hater,

Sagamite said: No one is discussion posh schools - Bro,  a Posh school would have done you a lot of good. Why do you think Posh schools overcharge? this is a free society, innit? you take a tour of the school, perform your due-diligence and if you believe the school is not worth the price then don't send your kids there.

Are posh schools better? Hell yeah! if you can afford it
Alumns of schools such as Grange, Adesoye College, Atlantic Hall, Hillcrest and Christland College are from the Upper/Upper-Middle class in society and most of these kids tend to remain in that strata. Simple. These kids are from the same income class as the kids in KC, QC, FGC's (Some), ISI (most) and ISL (most), but admissions in the schools that I just listed are more structured and stringent than the very expensive schools.

Why were the expensive schools necessary?
A lot of smart kids that got admitted to KC, QC, ISL, ISI were bumped in favor of the kids of military officers, top business men, legacy etc, because even though the parents were rich, they lack the influence required to finagle their kids into these four schools. The other type of kids are those not smart enough to get into (KC, QC, ISI, and ISL) and the late bloomers whose parents care about their learning environment and want them to have a great education rather than be exposed to bullies, rascals and kids that lack a proper home-training (Sagamite) that some of the FGCs attract due to the quota system.

These expensive schools have some of the best teachers, great programs, exposure through traveling and a great alumni network. Going to a poor, wretched school will leave you poor. Private and expensive schools are wayyyyy better than public schools except those public schools that have a rich tradition and a huge Alumni base that donate frequently for the school's upkeep.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is It A Woman's Responsibility/duty To Wash Her Husband's Clothes? / How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? / Best Way To Correct Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 219
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.