Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,329 members, 7,967,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 06 October 2024 at 10:38 AM

Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame (13548 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Celebrities You Never Knew Were Muslims: Adunni Ade, Others / King Sunny Ade And His 5 Wives (Pictured) / DJ Cuppy: "I Need To Wed In 2018 Before King Sunny Ade Retires". Ade Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by TheWolfen(m): 10:12pm On Mar 03, 2022
SlyDev:
Every good news from Nigeria is always Yoruba, we are educated, business wise, smart sophisticated, calm with civilisations far ahead of others

Was that even necessary?

Every tribe is smart.
Stop tribalism

2 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by NORSIYK(m): 10:19pm On Mar 03, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I've never been a fan of Orubebe, but I will not take this list.

Onyeka Onwenu is conspicuously missing.

Ekwe, Iyogogo, One Love, You and I, Dancing In the Sun, Odenigbo, Ochie Dike and a few of her other works were global world-class masterpieces.

She gave Hugh Masekela, Miriam Makeba, Thione Ballago Seck, Youssou N'Dour and Salif Keita a run for their money and made them look like learners.

So good she was that Almighty Fela wanted to marry her just as exploitation to boost his global music ratings but she turned him down.

Without sentiments, ask yourself this question.
Was Sunny Ade globally reckoned before his duet with Onyeka Onwenu in "Wait for Me"?

If you are unbiased and a true global music critic, you'd understand why I feel that this award is meaningless if Onyeka Onwenu is not on it.

An Afrobeats Hall of Fame without an Onyeka Onwenu and a Sir Shina Peters is worse than an expensive wedding hall without guests.

Till you see my point, argue with my semen.

Lol
You don't know what you are saying.
A lot of tracks you reeled out weren't done by Onyeka

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by NORSIYK(m): 10:20pm On Mar 03, 2022
shadrach77:
About time!

Nigeria's greatest musicians
1. King Sunny Ade
2. Fela Kuti
3. Wizkid
4. Burna Boy
5. Davido
6. Femi Kuti
7. Yemi Alade
8. Tiwa Savage
9. D'Banj
10. Tuface (2Baba)

In that order smiley

Rather yoruba greatest musicians
Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by kay29000(m): 10:23pm On Mar 03, 2022
updatechange:
Some children of nowadays saying Fela and KSA never did afrobeats... SMH!
Fela is the originator of afrobeat as far as 9ja is concerned, and try to listen to synchro system by KSA before coming online to rant.
I'm sure you're surprised to see barrister there which is very correct cos the main vocal tone of today's afrobeats originated from Fuji, ask Wizkid he will tell you.

You know music. Thumbs up.

3 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Snapchat: 10:25pm On Mar 03, 2022
IGNORANCE!!

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Ekwe, Iyogogo, One Love, You and I, Dancing In the Sun, Odenigbo, Ochie Dike and a few of her other works were global world-class masterpieces.

She gave Hugh Masekela, Miriam Makeba, Thione Ballago Seck, Youssou N'Dour and Salif Keita a run for their money and made them look like learners.

So good she was that Almighty Fela wanted to marry her just as exploitation to boost his global music ratings but she turned him down.

Was Sunny Ade globally reckoned before his duet with Onyeka Onwenu in "Wait for Me"?

If you are unbiased and a true global music critic, you'd understand why I feel that this award is meaningless if Onyeka Onwenu is not on it.

An Afrobeats Hall of Fame without an Onyeka Onwenu and a Sir Shina Peters is worse than an expensive wedding hall without guests.

4 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by OlawaleBammie: 10:32pm On Mar 03, 2022
updatechange:
Fela is the originator of afrobeat as far as 9ja is concerned, and try to listen to synchro system by KSA before coming online to rant.
I'm sure you're surprised to see barrister there which is very correct cos the main vocal tone of today's afrobeats originated from Fuji, ask Wizkid he will tell you.
aaahhh babamiii

Synchro system oro

U dey remind me omo, i dey motivated aje grin cool

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Surelay: 10:34pm On Mar 03, 2022
Dr Sikiru Ayinde Barrister rest on,,truly original even after death

3 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by godofuck231: 10:38pm On Mar 03, 2022
You can't give an immortal life , he is life , baba fela na em be afro beat , ask naira marly
Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Vicas2000: 10:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
A lot of young people on Nairaland think afrobeat is Davido...wizkid etc.

Afrobeat was originally the genre created by Fela Kuti!

What Davido and wizkid and Co now call afrobeat was originally known as afro pop. It was a UK based Ghanaian DJ that renamed it afrobeat and most UK based Nigerians and Africans popularised it with British media and they turned it from afro pop to afrobeat.

And yes....the beats now has a Fela baseline with a bit of fuji styled vocal and some element of jùjú and highlife.

Ẹ.g. Tekno's ' Enjoy myself' is purely high life laced with Fela styled afrobeat.

Ojuelegba by wízkid is purely Fela styled afrobeat.

Aimasiko by Simi was a remake of Ebenezer obeys Juju album. Joromi was highline as well.

Yet all the above were classed as new age afrobeat.

5 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Bigchristo: 10:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
updatechange:
Fela is the originator of Afro beat worldwide there’s no second person, those KSA and others who has been inducted into afrobeat hall for fame are just juju music artist.
Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Golan007: 10:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
updatechange:

Synchro system, e má jo.

Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh.

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
TheWolfen:

Was that even necessary?

Every tribe is smart.
Stop tribalism

It is tribalism when Yoruba praise themselves but self-love when other do it undecided

2 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Seunfretty: 10:52pm On Mar 03, 2022
I can still NT argue much about anyone saying KSA shouldn't be there...also i can still look and NT talk if u say barrister shouldn't make the list...but for someone to come out and say Feels doesn't deserve to be in the award that means such person is totally ignorant about music ...beat and originations....Fela is the only artiste in Nigeria that made his own style...no other artiste u mentioned was playing a style that wasn't a little been played in the past in Africa...is the highlife of the owaifo....or the juju of shins peters ...but Fela came with a trade mark and that's wat is still making afro music in nija look a little beat unique and hard to copy....if anyone still believes Fela is NT the major father of afro music then such person should come forward and tell us who is....burns boy...and wizkid have been creating around this style over and over again and even picking verses from fellas songs....simi recently sang "woman" with a total afro beat...

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by toyinjimoh(m): 11:00pm On Mar 03, 2022
shadrach77:
About time!

1. King Sunny Ade
2. Fela Kuti
3. Wizkid
4. Burna Boy
5. Davido
6. Femi Kuti
7. Yemi Alade
8. Tiwa Savage
9. D'Banj
10. Tuface (2Baba)

In that order smiley
you be indomie generation indeed

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Coolboy009: 11:03pm On Mar 03, 2022
Vicas2000:
A lot of young people on Nairaland think afrobeat is Davido...wizkid etc.

Afrobeat was originally the genre created by Fela Kuti!

What Davido and wizkid and Co now call afrobeat was originally known as afro pop. It was a UK based Ghanaian DJ that renamed it afrobeat and most UK based Nigerians and Africans popularised it with British media and they turned it from afro pop to afrobeat.

And yes....the beats now has a Fela baseline with a bit of fuji styled vocal and some element of jùjú and highlife.

Ẹ.g. Tekno's ' Enjoy myself' is purely high life laced with Fela styled afrobeat.

Ojuelegba by wízkid is purely Fela styled afrobeat.

Aimasiko by Simi was a remake of Ebenezer obeys Juju album. Joromi was highline as well.

Yet all the above were classed as new age afrobeat.
Your head get oil jare. All those indomie generation , no go let person hear word, they talk wetin dey no sabi.

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Omotaday(m): 11:08pm On Mar 03, 2022
shadrach77:
About time!

1. King Sunny Ade
2. Fela Kuti
3. Wizkid
4. Burna Boy
5. Davido
6. Femi Kuti
7. Yemi Alade
8. Tiwa Savage
9. D'Banj
10. Tuface (2Baba)

In that order smiley
Yemi Alade? How? What music does she do? Lol

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by sencekompis: 11:28pm On Mar 03, 2022
Yoruba Amaka

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by sencekompis: 11:29pm On Mar 03, 2022
Yoruba ni mi, oyo state ni ibi yii oo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Akinzola: 11:29pm On Mar 03, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

have you forgotten that the same record label that signed Bob Marley also signed King Sunny Ade after the death of Bob Marley, the purpose was to get someone to replace Bob Marley, of which KSA happened to be the best fit.

4 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Vicas2000: 11:44pm On Mar 03, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

You are doing King Sunny Ade a disservice by claiming Onyeka Onwenu brought him to international acclaim.

King sunny ade has been touring the UK since the late 60's/early 70s.

Onyeka Onwenu was not even know globally like King Sunny Ade.

Of both of them...go to YouTube and you will see a lot of videos of KSA doing live performances to huge crowds even way before the duet with Onyeka Onwenu.

KSA is a big fish ó. Even till today he does more performances than Onyeka that you hold in high esteem.

I love Onyeka Onwenu.but don't ever attach KSA success to her.

She is not even close by any margin! Both in album numbers...live performances and even awards.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Vicas2000: 11:45pm On Mar 03, 2022
Akinzola:
have you forgotten that the same record label that signed Bob Marley also signed King Sunny Ade after the death of Bob Marley, the purpose was to get someone to replace Bob Marley, of which KSA happened to be the best fit.

God bless you for this. And yet someone thought he was not well known.

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by goslowgoslow(m): 12:32am On Mar 04, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

In your myopic mind you think it was after wait for me with Onyeka that Sunny Ade got global recognition? How are you before I go further?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Keegan: 12:35am On Mar 04, 2022
NORSIYK:

Lol
You don't know what you are saying.
A lot of tracks you reeled out weren't done by Onyeka

Don't mind him. They always like to rewrite history but they always fail. Saying Onyeka Onwenu made KSA known to the world was the funniest thing I ever read on NL this year. Who's Onyeka, who's Onwenu? Let him go and ask the woman herself, she will surely tell him the opposite was the case.

Sunny Ade became King of Juju music in 1977, he has been on the musical scene for over five decades, he had taken his music to various countries of the world. He is well known and recognized even up till this day, he is still waxing stronger.

The 1988 Duet "Wait For Me and Choices" with Onyeka was the one that really sold Onyeka to we music lovers in the West, moreover the duet was conceptualized by the King himself not Onyeka, QED.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Keegan: 12:37am On Mar 04, 2022
NORSIYK:

Rather yoruba greatest musicians

Yoruba hold the Ace in entertainment industry in Nigeria and Africa as a whole. Deal with that.

2 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by goslowgoslow(m): 12:40am On Mar 04, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

As at 1982 Sunny Ade was nominated for Grammy Awards....all these children on Nairaland!

4 Likes

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Pimine: 12:41am On Mar 04, 2022
Streamz:
Hmm. Wetin concern Sunny Ade with Afrobeat? I thought his genre is juju?
All of them mentioned are fuji and juju artists. I taya oooooo!
Aswearugaaad

Afro beats is basically African sound. That effectively classifies juju and fuji as sub-genres of Afrobeats.
Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by goslowgoslow(m): 12:44am On Mar 04, 2022
Keegan:

Don't mind him. They always like to rewrite history but they always fail. Saying Onyeka Onwenu made KSA known to the world was the funniest thing I ever read on NL this year. Who's Onyeka, who's Onwenu? Let him go and ask the woman herself, she will surely tell him the opposite was the case.

Sunny Ade became King of Juju music in 1977, he has been on the musical scene for over five decades, he had taken his music to various countries of the world. He is well known and recognized even up till this day, he is still waxing stronger.

The 1988 Duet "Wait For Me and Choices" with Onyeka was the one that really sell Onyeka to we music lovers in the West, moreover the duet was conceptualized by the King himself not Onyeka, QED.

KSA was even nominated for Grammy Awards in 1982. ...Most of them commenting are doing so out of their usual tribalistic reasoning between most of them are kids born in the 90"s and 2000's

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by Keegan: 12:50am On Mar 04, 2022
Afrobeats in the context that the awards were given is not to be confused with the genre "Afrobeats" which was spearheaded by the great Fela Anikulapo Kuti. It is African Beats, Africa originated types of Music. As you can see Sikiru Ayinde Barrister was among the recipients of the award for his exploits on the Nigerian music scene and being one of the greatest traditional musicians.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by AlphaTaikun: 1:03am On Mar 04, 2022

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by alizma: 1:04am On Mar 04, 2022
Streamz:
Hmm. Wetin concern Sunny Ade with Afrobeat? I thought his genre is juju?
All of them mentioned are fuji and juju artists. I taya oooooo!
Have you ever heard of afro-juju?

1 Like

Re: Fela, King Sunny Ade, Others Inducted Into Afrobeats Hall Of Fame by AlphaTaikun: 1:10am On Mar 04, 2022
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Get your facts right!

Don't distort history here
youngman. Some of us here on
NL were alive in the 1970s and 1980s and witness specific events.

King Sunny Ade acted roles in Hollywood movies in the early 1980s because of his critical acclaim in the World Beat genre, dexterity with the guitar, and eclectic dance moves.

Not just that alone, the iconic
Sunny Ade was nominated for the Grammy Awards in the 1980s so how can you say that it was the iconic Onyeka that made him popular? That's pure B.S.!

Onyeka is younger than Sunny Ade who would be 76 years in 2022, and she would tell you NOT to twist history .

Did you know that King Sunny Ade has been globally known long
before the globally-known Festac '77, and even before Onyeka became well-known in the 1980s across Nigeria!

You are not well-informed
about history because you
belong to a younger age range.
You should always be less
impulsive and ask questions
from experienced older folks
like some of us here and offline so as NOT to disgrace yourself for
distorting the truth!

Enough said.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kefee (brainamah) And Her Husband Alec / Its Young John The 'WICKED' Producer (photos) / Is Olu Jacobs And Joke Silva Nollywood's Most Adorable Couple?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.